Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the Story MkII- Off topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

On the subject of youtube eating challenge videos, does anyone watch the LA Beast.

Here he is eating a 5lb bag of sugarless gummy bears. The noise he makes at the end makes me cry laughing every time I watch it.

Here's the full amazon review http://www.amazon.com/Haribo-Gummi-Bears-Sugar-Free/product-reviews/B000EVQWKC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,619 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Don't sugar free jellies normally come with a laxative warning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,660 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

dor843088 wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw8iljkD1So&feature=youtube_gdata_player

This skinny kid eats a Michael phelps esque 12,000 cals in under 45 minutes . Pretty impressive.

Furious Pete is a bit bigger but he also did it in under 30 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqSlIrjxnDo&list=PLQdB5cnMHAqfvbHDRNxdpWQ6QU875oxBY

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

Mellor wrote: »
    Don't sugar free jellies normally come with a laxative warning?
    Yep - there's a warning on the packet. He reads it out about a minute in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

I'll give the Herblife cult members one thing, they're not afraid to market themselves. Fook they're aggressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Ah threads asking is there any benefit to something. So funny when a question like s there any benefit of doing push ups. The response on forums is very commonly you'll get better at push ups (or insert other random exercise). The difference is if it's squats. Is there any benefit to squats? OMZG YESSSS YOU BECOME SUPERMAN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Ah threads asking is there any benefit to something. So funny when a question like s there any benefit of doing push ups. The response on forums is very commonly you'll get better at push ups (or insert other random exercise). The difference is if it's squats. Is there any benefit to squats? OMZG YESSSS YOU BECOME SUPERMAN.

one benefit of squating never mentioned is the ability to hover-****e.

came in useful yesterday in mcdonald's on grafton street , jacks was destroyed with piss and even after many a wipe I wasn't sitting on it.

hovering was made easy by years of squating.

superman stuff.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

And that's why squats are special, they transform normal men into testosterone fuelled demi gods.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

I'm batman.

Brian? wrote: »
    And that's why squats are special, they transform normal men into testosterone fuelled demi gods.

It's all that HGH release. I knew a guy who done a squat once. He couldn't fit through doors any more. He just got too big!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

one benefit of squating never mentioned is the ability to hover-****e.

came in useful yesterday in mcdonald's on grafton street , jacks was destroyed with piss and even after many a wipe I wasn't sitting on it.

hovering was made easy by years of squating.

superman stuff.

I hoversh1t every time I use a public jacks, its the main thing I do to make my arms grow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I know this has been asked a million times before sorry.

But where is the best place to buy foam rollers preferably online?

Any type in particular?

Foamrollersbydesign. You'll find them on Facebook. Fantastic pieces of kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ant11

I know this has been asked a million times before sorry.

But where is the best place to buy foam rollers preferably online?

Any type in particular?

Foamrollerbydesign (on Facebook Irish company) is the best I've used in terms of hardness (harder the better IMO) and as far as I know it's cheaper than the grid too.

Ant11 wrote: »
    Foamrollerbydesign (on Facebook Irish company) is the best I've used in terms of hardness (harder the better IMO) and as far as I know it's cheaper than the grid too.

Cheaper than a lot of poor quality ones as well.

Cheers I'll check them out now thanks :).

Edit there doesn't seem to be any info on how to order off them? Or any activity on the Facebook page in nearly a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ant11

Cheers I'll check them out now thanks :).

Edit there doesn't seem to be any info on how to order off them? Or any activity on the Facebook page in nearly a month.

Strange I just checked there myself. I think you just message them. I know people who have bought from them in the past. I think Hanley got Rev Fit rollers made from them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,290 ✭✭✭COH

Got some for RAW last week, and another for one of my clients on Monday so I can assure you they are operating as usual :)

Yeah,just send a message on Facebook. I got one there in December/January - that's how I went about it. Had it in a couple of days.

• Advertisement

Once again thanks, messaged him and got back straight away. Paid and ordered should have it by Friday. Good service really :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Deadlift.

Can someone explain the correct technique for how the bar should contact the ground. I'm generally controlled by the heavier it gets the more I tend to bounce it off the platform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Dermighty wrote: »
    Deadlift.

Can someone explain the correct technique for how the bar should contact the ground. I'm generally controlled by the heavier it gets the more I tend to bounce it off the platform.

Drop it / lower it to the platform, re set yourself and pull again. Then you're lifting a 'dead' weight from the ground.

Not that you won't get stronger doing touch and go deadlifts, even bounced deadlifts will eventually benefit if you do them in a structured and progressive fashion.

Deadlift.

As Lloyd say, the weight should be dead before the next rep. It promotes good form to pause at the bottom and adjust yourself before pulling.

they/them/theirs

That's what I figured, thanks to you both.

I'm looking to improve my clean, my understanding is that the goal is to lift as much weight as possible as fast as possible.

I haven't been successful in finding information on deadlifts for Olympic lifting, rather separate training regimes for increasing the weight of either.

My deadlift technique is good, but I lack the mobility to progress beyond 160kg with safe/correct technique (ie: no rounding of the back). I'm rarely working beyond sets of 3 reps with the cleans or deadlifts, currently doing a three week 5x3, 5x2, 5x1 progression with a deload during the fourth week.. Is it advisable to extend beyond this rep range (with a lighter weight).

I've seen the Coan deadlift program starts on speed work for 3 reps at 60% of max.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I'm looking to improve my clean, my understanding is that the goal is to lift as much weight as possible as fast as possible.

I haven't been successful in finding information on deadlifts for Olympic lifting, rather separate training regimes for increasing the weight of either.

My deadlift technique is good, but I lack the mobility to progress beyond 160kg with safe/correct technique (ie: no rounding of the back). I'm rarely working beyond sets of 3 reps with the cleans or deadlifts, currently doing a three week 5x3, 5x2, 5x1 progression with a deload during the fourth week.. Is it advisable to extend beyond this rep range (with a lighter weight).

I've seen the Coan deadlift program starts on speed work for 3 reps at 60% of max.

Your biggest limiting factor right now on your clean is almost certainly technique. Not strength.

Doing more deadlifts won't help your clean technique.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

Kinda, the goal is to lift as much as possible into a front squat position, everything else works back from that (positions, tempos, speeds)

I don't program them too much. I'd throw them into a preparation phase at maybe 120% of the clean/snatch max for triples and make sure positions are perfect. This would be for a "balanced" lifter who'd clean their 3rm front squat etc

If you clean 60kg and deadlift 200kg, deadlifts won't do a thing for your clean.

If you clean 90kg and deadlift 115 then you should probably just get stronger and eat.

The question is very context dependent, to answer it, you'll need to post numbers for:

Full Clean
    Power clean
    Front squat
    Deadlift (clean style)
    Deadlift (Powerliftin' style)

Throw up a video of your clean anyway.

Hanley wrote: »
    Your biggest limiting factor right now on your clean is almost certainly technique. Not strength.

Doing more deadlifts won't help your clean technique.

The speed of the first pull is technique also over strength?

Edwardius wrote: »
    The question is very context dependent, to answer it, you'll need to post numbers for:

Full Clean
    Power clean
    Front squat
    Deadlift (clean style)
    Deadlift (Powerliftin' style)

Throw up a video of your clean anyway.

Full 70x3
    Power 80x3 (very close to failure)
    Front 70x3
    Deadlift clean 150kgx3
    Deadlift power 160x1 (used to do more but nowadays the bar doesn't leave the ground)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The speed of the first pull is technique also over strength?

Up to a certain ratio, yes. I have an okay Deadlift but a ****, useless clean. The ratios are such that my Clean issues cannot be helped by further Deadlift improvements. I have the base strength ability to clean far more than I am but lack the technique and mobility to access that. If you can Deadlift far more than you Clean Pull and Clean Pull a decent amount more than your Clean then strength is not your issue.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Up to a certain ratio, yes. I have an okay Deadlift but a ****, useless clean. The ratios are such that my Clean issues cannot be helped by further Deadlift improvements. I have the base strength ability to clean far more than I am but lack the technique and mobility to access that. If you can Deadlift far more than you Clean Pull and Clean Pull a decent amount more than your Clean then strength is not your issue.

Thanks to both Hanley and yourself for the help.

• Advertisement

If you want to learn the Oly lifts I reckon you should find a good teacher. I am poor at cleans due to technique, but if I wanted to get better I'd get a coach.

IMO Oly lifts are too complicated to learn alone, unless you're a lifting savant.

For a bigger dead lift I'd give westside a go. There's a link in the stickies to a decent thread on it. Basically you do one max effort day and one repeat effort day a week.

they/them/theirs

If you want to learn the Oly lifts I reckon you should find a good teacher. I am poor at cleans due to technique, but if I wanted to get better I'd get a coach.

IMO Oly lifts are too complicated to learn alone, unless you're a lifting savant.

For a bigger dead lift I'd give westside a go. There's a link in the stickies to a decent thread on it. Basically you do one max effort day and one repeat effort day a week.

I have access to a good teacher, infrequently however as he is busy. He gave me about 90 minutes of instruction thus far which cleared up a lot of problems. Looks like I need something more consistent.

kevpants' thread explaining it is a great accompaniment to anythign Westside-related.

kevpants' thread explaining it is a great accompaniment to anythign Westside-related.

Aye, that's the one. I made my best ever strength gains thanks to that thread.

Well that and consistent training, a long injury free period and wine gums.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

Full 70x3
    Power 80x3 (very close to failure)
    Front 70x3
    Deadlift clean 150kgx3
    Deadlift power 160x1 (used to do more but nowadays the bar doesn't leave the ground)

Looks like you need to:

-mobilise and strengthen the front squat position.

-Work the pull from above the knee (or from blocks) into the full/Power clean.

Again, there are still assumptions there, without a video it's impossible to tell. The only definite here is that the deadlift isn't the main problem with your clean

Why are the off topic threads always the best?

...oh yah, it's cos it's where the sound people hang out.

Also - for deadlift gainzz - Gillingham deadlift program. Got the best gains of my life on it. Restarting Friday :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

...oh yah, it's cos it's where the sound people hang out.

Also - for deadlift gainzz - Gillingham deadlift program. Got the best gains of my life on it. Restarting Friday :)

a good read while skiving at work.

question on that.
    The rack pulls are each alternative week from the rack positions mentioned - up to a new single PR each time?

just not that obvious on the spreadsheet i'm looking at.

a good read while skiving at work.

question on that.
    The rack pulls are each alternative week from the rack positions mentioned - up to a new single PR each time?

just not that obvious on the spreadsheet i'm looking at.

You're trying to beat the previous time you pulled outta that rack height each time yah.

but it's like westside - not just about maxing, also about accumulating volume over a certain %.

Like 3-6 lifts over 90% for a day.

What do people do when they're counting calories for things like oil and stuff you'd drain off a lot of?

• Advertisement

What do people do when they're counting calories for things like oil and stuff you'd drain off a lot of?

If dieting - account for them.

If bulking - don't.

If dieting - account for them.

If bulking - don't.

Grand thanks!

Got the results of a blood test.

Cholesterol is 5.6

Triglycerides 0.59

HDL 1.78

LDL 3.5

Happy enough with that. I'd like to get the LDL down a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Got the results of a blood test.

Cholesterol is 5.6

Triglycerides 0.59

HDL 1.78

LDL 3.5

Happy enough with that. I'd like to get the LDL down a bit.

Is the main thing to be concerned with the LDL? I remember hearing a podcast professing the standard test isn't specific enough in differentiating between the different components that make up a cholesterol reading.
    The only thing is it might have been a Dave Asprey Interview in which case it was probably a load of balls!

Is the main thing to be concerned with the LDL? I remember hearing a podcast professing the standard test isn't specific enough in differentiating between the different components that make up a cholesterol reading.
    The only thing is it might have been a Dave Asprey Interview in which case it was probably a load of balls!

Your general state of health affects the meaning of the result. Eg cholesterol of 5 with 80 % of that being LDL is conventionally "worse" than a cholesterol with 50/50 split of Hdl/LDL

I don't know enough about it too be honest, only what I've read and the small bit doctors have told me.

Going even deeper the VLDL level is what matters the most.

There's a load of ratios and percentages as to what constitutes "good" within the total cholesterol level but I don't know enough to tell you about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

Dumbell/barbell bench question.

Whats people opinion on lifting your head slightly off the bench as the bar comes down to your chest to emphasise the squeeze on the shoulder blades?

I've reads that you can lift your head slightly to stop yourself driving the head right back into the bench but overdoing how much you lift your head will cause too much flexion in the thoracic spine, which isn't ideal.

I've reads that you can lift your head slightly to stop yourself driving the head right back into the bench but overdoing how much you lift your head will cause too much flexion in the thoracic spine, which isn't ideal.

Nothing you can't foam roll better P

@Hanley: VLDL cholesterol, I'm intrigued

• Advertisement

colman1212 wrote: »
    Dumbell/barbell bench question.

Whats people opinion on lifting your head slightly off the bench as the bar comes down to your chest to emphasise the squeeze on the shoulder blades?

Wouldn't agree with this. But this is just coming from a purely powerlifting perspective (which I have only a moderate experience of other than following their guidelines). It sounds like it would put more stress on your shoulders though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement