Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the Story MkII- Off topic thread

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

What about the tea made from lions?

..or from human's named "Barry"?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

papu wrote: »
    I don't like it. They should be encouraging people to drink herbal teas and promoting it's health benefits.

They should raise the taxes on junk like Mcdonalds.

There's nothing unhealthy about actual tea.

Raising taxes on fast food, or any type if food really, disproportionately taxes the poor.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

What about the tea made from lions?

All I know is its quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,512 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Brian? wrote: »

Raising taxes on fast food, or any type if food really, disproportionately taxes the poor.

It disproportionally taxes people who have their diet nicely sorted and like a big mac every once in a while :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Brian? wrote: »

Raising taxes on fast food, or any type if food really, disproportionately taxes the stupid and lazy.

Fyp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Fyp

What is wrong with you?

Fyp

Ah here, do you know know how expensive healthy food is!!!!

A single mother of four claims she cannot feed her kids healthy food as it is too expensive with 3 chicken fillets costing €7.50 and two baskets of strawberries €5 and it's easier to "It’s cheaper to buy a packet of 10 chocolate bars for a euro than give them some healthy snacks."

Fyp

Hey ! I like fast food and im not lazy.

dor843088 wrote: »
    Hey ! I like fast food and im not lazy.

I like it now and again too. It's a myth that healthy eating is more expensive, it just involves more work.

What is wrong with you?

I know families who get take away for dinner more often than not. They spend about €25 for one dinner and say healthy eating is too expensive when you can easily make a healthy family dinner for €10. It just involves chopping, peeling, grating, assembling, cooking, washing.............ah feck it, just order a take away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

I know families who get take away for dinner more often than not. They spend about €25 for one dinner and say healthy eating is too expensive when you can easily make a healthy family dinner for €10. It just involves chopping, peeling, grating, assembling, cooking, washing.............ah feck it, just order a take away.

Fair enough people like that.

I was more along the lines of people who don't get takeaways and actually couldn't afford to eat if taxed more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Problem also is healthy eating only works out cheaper when you buy in bulk and learn to make things go further, like buying whole chickens rather than chicken dippers. You have to know how to roast a chicken, carve it, know how to make stock or curry etc to get more than the one me for it.
    Knowledge of what the cheap cuts are that week and how to prepare them to get the most out of them, buying fruit and veg in season to get th3 best and cheapest.

Admittedly this is not complex knowledge, our grandparents could certainly do it. But to someone who may have been brought up on chips and breaded chicken it may be initially intimidating.

The skills are easy to aquire and free, and an initial shop may be expensive one week to buy basic ingredients that aren't currently in the house. But once you get over the first hurdle it's easy going to eat healthy and cheap. Most people cannot be bothered or aren't aware how easy it is so they aren't prepared to do it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Fyp

No, you didn't.

You completely missed my point.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Wasn't there a study done about eating healthy eating and income levels that wasn't entirely money focused? It's not necessarily that it's more expensive money but everything else has to be taken into account as well. Time to prepare the food. Time to buy the food fresh so more frequent shop visits. Making sure you eat the food before it goes off etc. It's not all just about the money. People on lower incomes tend to have less time to commit to learning the skills and preparing the food for healthy eating. Pizza takes 20 minutes in the oven and basically lasts forever in the freezer. No need to worry about defrosting or anything. Easy food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I like it now and again too. It's a myth that healthy eating is more expensive, it just involves more work.
    I'm not sure I agree that it is a myth. Sure eating takeaway is more expensive than a home cooked meal. But what about comparing it to supermarket junk.
    My shopping consists of mostly of fresh meat, eggs, dairy and veg. These are expensive. Cheaper than take away maybe, but a trolley of bad food would cost less. Especially if you consider it in terms of calories.

Mellor wrote: »
    I'm not sure I agree that it is a myth. Sure eating takeaway is more expensive than a home cooked meal. But what about comparing it to supermarket junk.
    My shopping consists of mostly of fresh meat, eggs, dairy and veg. These are expensive. Cheaper than take away maybe, but a trolley of bad food would cost less. Especially if you consider it in terms of calories.

This. Although my experience is a bit biased as I was bulking staying mostly clean. My bill per month just for myself was about E450. My friend who lives with his girlfreind and son's food bill for all of them was half this. Not all junk but definitely not what we'd consider a healthy diet.

In conclusion I eat the same amount as 6 people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Why can't a man get some decent pho in this country!!!

Breakfast Pho... what a start to the day.

Can't we just eat the poor?

...they'd probably be quite high in omega 6 tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,675 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I'm reminded of The Yes Men where they impersonate representatives of the WTO and their lecture on the use of post-consumer waste (the consumer having earlier had a hamburger from McDonalds).

Starvation solved!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP_nNemsNT8

Gets going about a minute in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

feeding a family (my family) of 4 a healthy diet is pricy - esp considering my 240g a day protein needs.
    We'd spend just less than 200e a week (that would include cleaning products though) for 4. We do eat well and I make no bones about it - everything bar the kids ice cream or my gf's biscuits would be fresh /non processed.

Saying you can feed a family for a tenner while true isn't really comparable to takeaway.
    To compare something like chipper (delicious) to chicken/rice/veg (not bad but fairly staple) isn't a fair comparision.

but on a roast beef with the trimming and potatoes roasted in coconut oil and homemade apple pie for dessert and you're hitting 25e which is comparable to a chipper for a (my) family of 4.

you can eat healthy cheaply without a doubt but it's not cheaper than eating processed food (or junk) from a supermarket.
    And for a fancy dinner a takeaway is comparable to a healthy feed in terms of price.

Maybe for a single person or a couple on two incomes you could argue the point a bit more due to economies of scale and more disposable income but for a family it's just not true.

I don't know. I frequently cook meals that would feed 4/5 adults and it comes in less that €25 euro.

I cook for me and the missus and have the habit of making way too much. Yesterday was potato and leek soup.
    500g chicken €3.99 in lidl, bag of leeks €2, 4 spuds from a 2kg bag worth €2, onion and chicken stock and sour cream €2

Sliced and chopped and threw in the slow cooker. Total effort was minimal cost around 10 euro and made 3.5 liters of thick filling soup. We had 2 bowls each and there is more than half left over. Would easily feed a family of 4.

And this isn't the exception. More like the norm. I eat a variety of meals rarely eat the same one twice in a month. And they are frequently cheap, I don't really track the prices but I'm sure if someone wanted to make them as cheap as possible they could.

Sure, not every meal I cook is value for money, because that is not my main concern. But I would have no problems if it was.

I don't know. I frequently cook meals that would feed 4/5 adults and it comes in less that €25 euro.

I cook for me and the missus and have the habit of making way too much. Yesterday was potato and leek soup.
    500g chicken €3.99 in lidl, bag of leeks €2, 4 spuds from a 2kg bag worth €2, onion and chicken stock and sour cream €2

Sliced and chopped and threw in the slow cooker. Total effort was minimal cost around 10 euro and made 3.5 liters of thick filling soup. We had 2 bowls each and there is more than half left over. Would easily feed a family of 4.

And this isn't the exception. More like the norm. I eat a variety of meals rarely eat the same one twice in a month. And they are frequently cheap, I don't really track the prices but I'm sure if someone wanted to make them as cheap as possible they could.

Sure, not every meal I cook is value for money, because that is not my main concern. But I would have no problems if it was.

sure not everymeal is 25e.
    But considering an alternative a takeaway as opposed to a standard meal.
    To be fair I had turkey stir fry last night which probably cost a tenner over all.
    But if you said "lets get takeaway" I couldn't counter that with "no lets have soup". I could with lets get roast beef,roast poatoes,veg with a homemade dessert .
    That's my point but I don't disagree with you either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,672 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I once cooked a christmassy meal for 9 adults on e31. That is excluding the cost of spices, desserts and wine.

Shoulder pork = e8
    Ton of rooster spuds from Aldi = e4
    Ton of carrots and parsnips = e5
    Sausage stuffing balls = e6
    Stewed apple = e8

The majority of that was made with fresh ingredients and had a lot of prep work. Its pretty obvious but the more people you cook for, the cheaper it gets.

sure not everymeal is 25e.
    But considering an alternative a takeaway as opposed to a standard meal.
    To be fair I had turkey stir fry last night which probably cost a tenner over all.
    But if you said "lets get takeaway" I couldn't counter that with "no lets have soup". I could with lets get roast beef,roast poatoes,veg with a homemade dessert .
    That's my point but I don't disagree with you either

Problem is you assume that takeaway is better taste wise. Now, I only have my missus to back me up here but I would step over most takeaways to eat my own cooked food. The added benefit is that they are cheaper.

Now takeaways have their place. For no reason Tuesday evening we drove to Dundrum, from dun laoghaire for kfc and spent €30 on food. But even though I love chicken I had a niggling feeling in my head that I could've done better with what I had at home.

Every takeaway dish I would normally get I can counter with a homemade recipe that is likely to be cheaper and tastier. Just every now and then comes a perfect storm of laziness and apathy and we get a takeaway.

I once cooked a christmassy meal for 9 adults on e31. That is excluding the cost of spices, desserts and wine.

Shoulder pork = e8
    Stewed apple = e8

The majority of that was made with fresh ingredients and had a lot of prep work. Its pretty obvious but the more people you cook for, the cheaper it gets.

9 adults in one sitting or 2 adults and 2 kids over several sittings. Same cost, same food more meals

• Advertisement

Shoulder pork = e8
    Stewed apple = e8

fair enough . I'm not gonna disagree and you have a valid point.
    but....no coconut oil for roasting??? shame....
    However there isn't a hope that a pork shoulder would do 9 adults in mine. assuming my parents or siblings came along.

assume it was about 1.3kg raw which is the standard size I see in my place of purchase. that's about 145g per per adult assuming no weight lost in cooking. If your was bigger than no probs.
    I do love pork shoulder though.
    Problem is you assume that takeaway is better taste wise. Now, I only have my missus to back me up here but I would step over most takeaways to eat my own cooked food. The added benefit is that they are cheaper.

Now takeaways have their place. For no reason Tuesday evening we drove to Dundrum, from dun laoghaire for kfc and spent €30 on food. But even though I love chicken I had a niggling feeling in my head that I could've done better with what I had at home.

Every takeaway dish I would normally get I can counter with a homemade recipe that is likely to be cheaper and tastier. Just every now and then comes a perfect storm of laziness and apathy and we get a takeaway.

I never said that I said they were comparible.
    I don't really like most takeaway bar chipper and the Italian pizza place near me .

I'd rather a roast beef dinner - but if you drag me down to tuna/rice/veg level ,i'll eat it cos it's healthy but I won't lie that I'd think a quarter pounder, chips and a batter sausage is way nicier.
    That my only point.
    comparing "healthy food" with takeaway isn't a fair comparision there not in the same context , most people who eat takeway will get one a week as a treat not as a staple diet

I'm not some mad takeaway fiend btw - I'd have less than one a month last time was Feb.
    I adore a lump of slow cooked meat and have that anyday and my go to comfort/nice dinner.

That said there is always deals on offer - I got 1kg of sirloin on sat for 10e which with homemade wedges did us for about 13e.

There's flaws all over the place with that. You're comparing eating out with home cooking. Hardly like with like. And also not nearly equal in calories.

Some comparably would be tinned soup. A tin of soup is prob less than a euro. That €10 you spent, would have gotten you maybe 5 litres in tinned soup.

http://m.tesco.ie/mt/www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=261773007
    Or this packet is $1.69 and served 5-6. Prob two pints. So that's 6.5 litres or so.
    So both of those option are a lot cheaper and easier than your, considerably healthier, home cooked soup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Are some people still trying to pretend that solely real food consumption is cheaper than processed food when it comes to a weekly supermarket shop?

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Are some people still trying to pretend that solely real food consumption is cheaper than processed food when it comes to a weekly supermarket shop?

If you absolutely polarise it and eat the cheapest ****e in the supermarket, fake food wins.

BUT if you take the average shopping basket and redistribute some of the spending and choices, I think real food comes out on par, or very very close.

You are all forgetting one thing..... convenience. They say you cant put a price on it. Weve all got a limited amount of time here and all the money in the world cant buy you any more of it. Even steve jobs said hed trade everything he had for more time with his kids.

• Advertisement

You are all forgetting one thing..... convenience. They say you cant put a price on it. Weve all got a limited amount of time here and all the money in the world cant buy you any more of it. Even steve jobs said hed trade everything he had for more time with his kids.

That's where frozen veg comes in ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Eating junk isn't going to do you any favours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

papu wrote: »
    They should raise the taxes on junk like Mcdonalds.
    The trouble is trying to define junk legally. There was some Irish or UK government nutrition person talking about burgers not being particularly bad, and they are not bad sounding if you deconstruct the product and do not give it the name "burger".
    Sangre wrote: »
    If herbal tea is a luxury item then so is tea.
    +1, and just because it has vat does not mean something is automatically deemed a luxury. Toilet rolls & tooth paste are 23% vat.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Mellor hit the nail mentioning the quality content. Yea it's sometimes cheaper to get some processed stuff but if you're particular about your macros then eating fresh, quality home cooked meals is always going to win.

This was my point about 15 posts back. The time commitment is huge when eating healthy. Especially when trying to do it on the cheap. You'd have to hit multiple shops to get close to the same prices.

Can't beat a nice steak, and I know I'd rather eat my beef strips peanut butter cashew nut + frozen veg stir fry than a LOT of takeaways...

(I won't pretend steak is cheap though... but beef from a decent butcher is great value)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Blacktie. wrote: »
    This was my point about 15 posts back. The time commitment is huge when eating healthy. Especially when trying to do it on the cheap. You'd have to hit multiple shops to get close to the same prices.

It really isn't. What ever you make, just make it in bulk so you've got lunch/dinner for the next day or two. I'll only cook about 3-4 times a week but still eat 4 times a day.

There's flaws all over the place with that. You're comparing eating out with home cooking. Hardly like with like. And also not nearly equal in calories.

Some comparably would be tinned soup. A tin of soup is prob less than a euro. That €10 you spent, would have gotten you maybe 5 litres in tinned soup.

http://m.tesco.ie/mt/www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=261773007
    Or this packet is $1.69 and served 5-6. Prob two pints. So that's 6.5 litres or so.
    So both of those option are a lot cheaper and easier than your, considerably healthier, home cooked soup.

No you're thinking like for like I was just using the example of one meal I had this week.
    I can easily make a Chinese meal for 4 less than the cost of a take out, and in the same amount of time. And it would taste equally as nice or better than any take out.

I learned to cook in a Chinese takeaway so I know how simple it is to learn and with prep anyone, even those who claim to be useless in the kitchen, can replicate it.

I'm not comparing my home cooked soup with tinned soup from th3 supermarket. I'm comparing a home cooked meal with a takeout meal.

Almost any takeaway food can be done at home and with practice can be nicer and certainly healthier.Which is my point people don't know or are too lazy to find out how easy it is to cook and aren't prepared to put the effort in to find out.

As far as convenience goes usually being prepared covers it. But that requires forethought and a little effort up to a week in advance for some meals. Most people won't bother to do that so takeaways come back. I'll usually get a takeaway on those days when I haven't made the effort before hand.

As far as spending time with kids goes then teach them to cook and include them in that family time.

No one is saying it's the easier option, you have to put effort into it. But the effort and the skills are basic at best and free to aquire. That's why they say those who get takeaways more than they should are lazy because they really are avoiding minimal effort.

Nothing wrong with a once in a while takeaway. Either for convenience, or just a craving. But when you are saying that take out food is both easier and cheaper than a home cooked meal for 4 that is simply incorrect.

It really isn't. What ever you make, just make it in bulk so you've got lunch/dinner for the next day or two. I'll only cook about 3-4 times a week but still eat 4 times a day.

Freeze ALL the things

Maybe I'm missing something but does it really take that long to make something decent?

Maybe what I have just isn't for everyone....actually, it isn't, which is why I'm cooking two different meals at the same time lately.

But my whole evening hasn't vaporised by the time they're ready.

• Advertisement

Maybe I'm missing something but does it really take that long to make something decent?

Maybe what I have just isn't for everyone....actually, it isn't, which is why I'm cooking two different meals at the same time lately.

But my whole evening hasn't vaporised by the time they're ready.

No, its doesn't take that long but it takes less time to stick chips and chicken into the oven which then do not require supervision.

bluewolf wrote: »
    Can't beat a nice steak, and I know I'd rather eat my beef strips peanut butter cashew nut + frozen veg stir fry than a LOT of takeaways...

That sounds lovely mmmmmmmmmmmm

That sounds lovely mmmmmmmmmmmm

I posted the recipe elsewhere here it is again if you want to try it!

Slice beef minute steaks finely, get a couple tablespoons of coconut oil, balsamic vinegar, crushed ginger and garlic, maybe a dab of honey and a dab of something with a bit of bite, and leave the beef in it for about half an hour
    Fry up the beef in its marinade, set beef aside, put the green isle asian stir fry veg (just frozen veg with nothing added) in to cook in what's left of the marinade in the frying pan
    When it's nearly done, add back in the beef and 2 tablespoons of peanut butter and a bunch of unsalted cashew nuts

No, its doesn't take that long but it takes less time to stick chips and chicken into the oven which then do not require supervision.

I put a couple of chicken breasts into the oven last night. The veg was frozen but peeling carrots; clipping off a few florets of broccoli or cauliflowe; deseeding and chopping peppers or whatever takes your fancy isn't all that time consuming either.

Preparing a stir fry and cooking it takes the same time as ringing and waiting for a delivery.

There are plenty of options for the time-poor and they don't have to involve a very narrow range of dinners.

Yes, convenience will win out in many cases and takeaways or pizza and chips etc will be quicker than a lot of home-cooked dinners but there are plenty of home cooked dinners that they aren't all that much quicker than without a huge amount of effort. There's a perception that home-cooking is time consuming. It isn't. If it was, I'd do a lot less of it.

I put a couple of chicken breasts into the oven last night. The veg was frozen but peeling carrots; clipping off a few florets of broccoli or cauliflowe; deseeding and chopping peppers or whatever takes your fancy isn't all that time consuming either.

Preparing a stir fry and cooking it takes the same time as ringing and waiting for a delivery.

There are plenty of options for the time-poor and they don't have to involve a very narrow range of dinners.

Yes, convenience will win out in many cases and takeaways or pizza and chips etc will be quicker than a lot of home-cooked dinners but there are plenty of home cooked dinners that they aren't all that much quicker than without a huge amount of effort. There's a perception that home-cooking is time consuming. It isn't. If it was, I'd do a lot less of it.

You underestimate how lazy people are and how little effort they are willing to put into their own health.

No you're thinking like for like I was just using the example of one meal I had this week.
    I can easily make a Chinese meal for 4 less than the cost of a take out, and in the same amount of time. And it would taste equally as nice or better than any take out.
    That still acting out verses eating at home. It's not really relevant though.
    The discussion was that buying whole food costs more. Nobody said that take away everyday is the cheaper option. I don't think anybody believes it does. You are proving a point that nobody is disputing.

I do agree with what you are saying. It's not difficult to learn a few recipes, e.g. curry. And would be miles better than a take away. That's essentially what I do everyday. I feel I pay a premium to do that. But I think it's worth it.

You underestimate how lazy people are and how little effort they are willing to put into their own health.

I don't really.

But I do think there is an element of lack of awareness amongst some people as well as people being lazy.

I'm not trying to paint myself as a paragon of virtue when it comes to eating.

I'm a lazy sod when it comes to cooking during the week but it also helps that I'm not al that bothered if I were to have chicken and veg 3 nights a week. Spice that shít up differently and it's good to go.

That still acting out verses eating at home. It's not really relevant though.
    The discussion was that buying whole food costs more. Nobody said that take away everyday is the cheaper option. I don't think anybody believes it does. You are proving a point that nobody is disputing.

I do agree with what you are saying. It's not difficult to learn a few recipes, e.g. curry. And would be miles better than a take away. That's essentially what I do everyday. I feel I pay a premium to do that. But I think it's worth it.

The discussion was regarding a €25 euro takeaway versus a home cooked meal.

The original point was that people will justify getting a takeaway because it's cheaper than a home cooked meal for a family.

Comparing a home cooked soup to tins of heinz isn't really relevant.

As someone else said: yes if you go out and buy all the cheapest options in the supermarket them junk food will probably edge out.

But the option between getting a takeaway versus making a meal yourself, cost wise the home cooked meal is going to win out. Even if the menu is the same, home cooked food will be cheaper. It's the perceived cost and effort that convince people that takeaway is the better option. And it's that perception that is incorrect

It's the perceived cost and effort that convince people that takeaway is the better option. And it's that perception that is incorrect

Is it though? Cost I can agree with when comparing to a take away but effort? Who can judge how much effort something is to put together. Sometimes you just want to do nothing and that's how you do it. You also factor in a lot of people wouldn't regularly have the ingredients for a healthy handy meal in their house.

• Advertisement

Take breakfast as another example, 500g of oats in Lidl are not far from free. A bit of work to cook them and clean the pot afterwards. Compare that to the cereals, they cost a few quid are generally void of nutrition.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement