Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the Story MkII- Off topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Is it though? Cost I can agree with when comparing to a take away but effort? Who can judge how much effort something is to put together. Sometimes you just want to do nothing and that's how you do it. You also factor in a lot of people wouldn't regularly have the ingredients for a healthy handy meal in their house.

Well yes and no. Like I said it's the initial hurdle that is the biggest. Both in terms of cost and skill.

It's all well and good saying it's possible to cook a takeaway style meal in the same time it takes to phone one in. You still need the skills and equipment to do it

But this is my point. The skills are easy, where most people think they aren't capable. A couple of hours practice, read a few websites, sure you'll eat a few disgusting dishes cos you've screwed them up. But with a little effort and interest you can cook 90% of meals from any restaurant with no formal training.

You also need to prepare, most people will need spices, and other raw ingredients. But only once. After the initial purchase of the staples most of your shopping is topping up and buying meat and veg.

You can't say everyone can, right now, cook a Chinese takeaway meal for 4 in the same time it takes to order one for less money and effort. But in 2 weeks time you could.

It's faster and cheaper for me to cook a decent takeaway style meal than it is for me to order one because I do it regularly. But there is nothing involved in doing so that literally anyone else could do it.

The effort doesn't come from the fact that u can be bothered to cook today. It comes from the fact that several years ago you learned to cook in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The original point was that people will justify getting a takeaway because it's cheaper than a home cooked meal for a family.

Comparing a home cooked soup to tins of heinz isn't really relevant.
    The original point was that it's a myth that healthy food is more expensive. That's it.
    Take away was mentioned later to highlight people being stupid/lazy. But I don't think these people think they are saving money, they are just lazy.

Mellor wrote: »
    The original point was that it's a myth that healthy food is more expensive. That's it.
    Take away was mentioned later to highlight people being stupid/lazy. But I don't think these people think they are saving money, they are just lazy.

The point cletus van damme made was sure he can eat healthy if he chooses chicken and steamed veg which is cheaper than a takeaway. But if he wanted a meal that is comparable to a takeaway then you're looking at roast beef and the trimmings for over 25 quid.

So he is saying that to eat well and with as much satisfaction and healthy it costs a fortune
    My point is that it doesn't. You can, with previous effort have a stunner of a dinner equal or better than a takeaway for less.

We're not comparing meal for meal or like for like. More in the experience of it.

If you got a roast beef dinner from a restaurant delivered it would be more than what you paid for a roast beef dinner at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

I think the whole point is that rubbish is generally cheaper than real food. Chicken nuggets vs chicken , budget frozen lasagne vs home cooked with real beef in it . Breaded "chicken fillet " vs actual chicken fillet . Burger vs cut of meat. Garbage is cheaper to produce and always will be theres no getting away from that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

dor843088 wrote: »
    Garbage is cheaper to produce and always will be theres no getting away from that.

Good choice of description.

Covers the taste as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

I think it goes without saying that a home cooked meal is cheaper than a take away as you are not paying someone to do the cooking - you do it yourself.

The important part though is that a take away meal in many cases takes nicer than a home cooked one, and I say that as someone who has cooked a huge number of Indian meals from scratch and eaten home cooked Indian meals from Indian friends. Some dishes can have 20+ ingredients with 10+ spices and need hours of simmering to cook right.

I could never compete against a professional Indian chef, even if they "only worked" in a take away. It's all well and good saying just buy the spices and you're good to go but spices have a very limited shelf life once opened. Also, if you recipe calls for things like curry leaves or bunches of coriander, it can be very expensive or difficult to source.

I have made many home made pizza's as well and while they are very nice, they just can't compete against somewhere like Domino's. Yeah, they are fresher and lighter but they just ain't as good!

As for chips and a kebab or burger. I have never had home made chips that come close to chipper chips for taste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Well yes and no. Like I said it's the initial hurdle that is the biggest. Both in terms of cost and skill.

I'd agree with you on this. People unfortunately believe otherwise.

MaceFace wrote: »
    I think it goes without saying that a home cooked meal is cheaper than a take away as you are not paying someone to do the cooking - you do it yourself.

The important part though is that a take away meal in many cases takes nicer than a home cooked one, and I say that as someone who has cooked a huge number of Indian meals from scratch and eaten home cooked Indian meals from Indian friends. Some dishes can have 20+ ingredients with 10+ spices and need hours of simmering to cook right.

I could never compete against a professional Indian chef, even if they "only worked" in a take away. It's all well and good saying just buy the spices and you're good to go but spices have a very limited shelf life once opened. Also, if you recipe calls for things like curry leaves or bunches of coriander, it can be very expensive or difficult to source.

I have made many home made pizza's as well and while they are very nice, they just can't compete against somewhere like Domino's. Yeah, they are fresher and lighter but they just ain't as good!

As for chips and a kebab or burger. I have never had home made chips that come close to chipper chips for taste.

This is surprising. I find home cooked food much better. All chipper and take away stuff tastes meh. Purely a convenience thing the few occasions I have one.

Blacktie. wrote: »
    This is surprising. I find home cooked food much better. All chipper and take away stuff tastes meh. Purely a convenience thing the few occasions I have one.

I'm the same. I get a takeaway either cos I fancy one or I just don't want to cook. But the food is never as nice as what I would've made instead. My brain is under the impression that takeaway food is tasty, but my brain is an idiot and the food is always a let down

I'm the same. I get a takeaway either cos I fancy one or I just don't want to cook. But the food is never as nice as what I would've made instead. My brain is under the impression that takeaway food is tasty, but my brain is an idiot and the food is always a let down

Except dominos cookies in fairness

• Advertisement

I think we've all learned something here today:

If there's a H&F meet-up, it's at thegreatiam's gaff and he's cooking.

I think we've all learned something here today:

If there's a H&F meet-up, it's at thegreatiam's gaff and he's cooking.

Yeah. But in the words of my mother. "You'll eat what you're given and you'll ****ing like it or ill hit you across the face with it. Now stop crying and chew your gravy"

bluewolf wrote: »
    Except dominos cookies in fairness

Never eaten the cookies but I do love a bbq base bacon and pepperoni pizza.

Yeah. But in the words of my mother. "You'll eat what you're given and you'll ****ing like it or ill hit you across the face with it. Now stop crying and chew your gravy"

I hope she was cooking fish when she said that.

I hope she was cooking fish when she said that.

Birthday cake.

She really is a terrible cook. The only person I know to burn jelly.

Birthday cake.

She really is a terrible cook. The only person I know to burn jelly.

The only person I know to put gravy on a birthday cake.

The only person I know to put gravy on a birthday cake.

Hides the burn marks

Hides the burn marks

Cheaper than chocolate too.

Anyone know anything about or think I should buy Mike tuchscherers reactive training manual ? Or recommend any other books on powerlifting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

tumblr_n3tjucytbE1t4o62mo1_400.gif

• Advertisement

Dathai wrote: »
    tumblr_n3tjucytbE1t4o62mo1_400.gif

Its all become clear now. Noone want to give me any advices in case I get even more jacked and tan than they are. Thats cool I can understand that but those efforts are futile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭podge57

Anyone know anything about or think I should buy Mike tuchscherers reactive training manual ? Or recommend any other books on powerlifting?

Not everyone is a fan of Rippetoe, but Practical Programming is the best book on strength training I've read so far.

It goes into a lot of detail about the progression from a beginner to advanced lifter, and how you need to adapt your training.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I might pick up practical programming for a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Da Za

You could also try out Brian Carroll's new ebook.

I think it's pretty good tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Here's a video of a 50kg squat after 30 minutes of mobility work.

I tried goblet squats and they felt very comfortable, with better form than my barbell squat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Dermighty wrote: »

I tried goblet squats and they felt very comfortable, with better form than my barbell squat.

Miles better. See if you can do that with heavier weight. If form breaks down, it's a strength issue.

Miles better. See if you can do that with heavier weight. If form breaks down, it's a strength issue.

Thanks.

I used a foam roller like in Transform & Hanleys videos for the calves and some sort of hard ball the gym has on the foot.

EDIT: I'd say a lot of my problems are my adductors on my left leg, they seem super short/tight. More banded super frogs then...

Sometimes it's only a little tweak that's needed.

Not saying nothing else needs tweaking with my squat but even just making sure my elbows are more under the bar has made a massive difference to me.

Sometimes it's only a little tweak that's needed.

Not saying nothing else needs tweaking with my squat but even just making sure my elbows are more under the bar has made a massive difference to me.

Yeah just had a read off this before I put up the video: Squat Rx

• Advertisement

Yeah just had a read off this before I put up the video: Squat Rx

Cudda done with reading that a while back. That said, I don't engage my brain often enough to hit my cues for squats.

It came to a head a few weeks ago but I didn't realise how much of a difference it'd make.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Better. To my eye you're not really sitting back into the squat though. You're dropping into it, if you get what I mean.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    Better. To my eye you're not really sitting back into the squat though. You're dropping into it, if you get what I mean.

I get your meaning, I find that with a front quat and goblet squat I can sit back into it but with the back squat, I noticed it today int he gym, I think it's a lack of confidence. don't know if it's psychological, I don't like squatting in the power cage, next time I'll squat from the rack on the platform in front of the cage and see if it makes a difference.

I get your meaning, I find that with a front quat and goblet squat I can sit back into it but with the back squat, I noticed it today int he gym, I think it's a lack of confidence. don't know if it's psychological, I don't like squatting in the power cage, next time I'll squat from the rack on the platform in front of the cage and see if it makes a difference.

Front and goblet squats throw the weight out in front of your center of gravity allowing for some wiggle room with ankle mobility. Just like holding a light weight in front for pistols makes em easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ixus

Box squat?

It's definitely psychology if you mentioned it twice in two sentences.

Aren't you not meant to back into a front squat? Or not to the degree of a back squat anyway.

• Advertisement

It could be confidence. Before you touch the bar do a body weight squat with a slow controlled descent, pause at the bottom and drive out of the hole as fast as you can.

Unrack the bar and try to repeat. Slow and controlled down, explosive up.

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote: »

Don't sit back into squats. It creates a false impingement in the front of the hip, kicks you forward and leads to GM'n it up.

Unless you've exceptionally long femurs, cos if you do, in the absence of outrageous ankle mobility you've no option but to sit back unless you want to fall over.

The squats in the vid are spot on.

Hanley wrote: »
    Don't sit back into squats. It creates a false impingement in the front of the hip, kicks you forward and leads to GM'n it up.

I'm not sure I get what you're saying here.

Unless you've exceptionally long femurs, cos if you do, in the absence of outrageous ankle mobility you've no option but to sit back unless you want to fall over.

What I mean by "sitting back into squats" is sitting down slowly rather simply dropping down into the hole, surely it controls the weight better. What dermighthy is doing in the video is too uncontrolled for me. If he was doing that with close to his 1RM he'd end up on his arse. I am open to correction of course.

I can see a vast improvement between the videos he's posted and it's at a point of fine tuning what he's doing. Slowing down the eccentric phase would improve his squat IMO.

they/them/theirs

I was aiming for a smooth movement more so than a slow descent and fast ascent (which would be more ideal in hindsight). The video may look one way but in practice I wasn't collapsing down and then pressing back up, but I do get why it would look like I am. With two or three times the weight ont he bar I'd be far more conservative in my descent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

How long do you want a 1RM weight sitting on your back for during this slowly-slowly descent? Are you loading up some imaginary briefs and suit for rebound?

Unless you're doing tempo squats or pause squats (and know why you're doing them) then squat as fast as you can while staying in control.

• Advertisement

Hanley wrote: »

I was aiming for a smooth movement more so than a slow descent and fast ascent (which would be more ideal in hindsight). The video may look one way but in practice I wasn't collapsing down and then pressing back up, but I do get why it would look like I am. With two or three times the weight ont he bar I'd be far more conservative in my descent.

Right so, I re watched your video. Your squat is bang on. I don't know what I'm talking about. I watched it on a phone originally, so there must be some excuse around that.

Carry on, apologies for the time wasting.

they/them/theirs

How long do you want a 1RM weight sitting on your back for during this slowly-slowly descent? Are you loading up some imaginary briefs and suit for rebound?

Unless you're doing tempo squats or pause squats (and know why you're doing them) then squat as fast as you can while staying in control.

Agreed, one needs to learn how to squat as fast as you can while staying in control though. Beginners should slow it down.

they/them/theirs

stupid ankles

stupid ankles

I've been stretching my calves at morning and night, and doing this once a day for only one week and my mobility has increased fairly dramatically. You know that test where you try to touch your knee off of a wall while keeping your foot flat and placing it as far behind you as possible? The best distance I could achieve one week ago was 9cm, now it's at 15cm, so a 6cm increase. Might be worth trying for a few weeks.

gvn wrote: »
    I've been stretching my calves at morning and night, and doing this once a day for only one week and my mobility has increased fairly dramatically. You know that test where you try to touch your knee off of a wall while keeping your foot flat and placing it as far behind you as possible? The best distance I could achieve one week ago was 9cm, now it's at 15cm, so a 6cm increase. Might be worth trying for a few weeks.

When doing that test (and doing it away from a wall with a banded distraction) that action of bending my knee over my foot hurts my knee. No idea why.

Also, twice a day I've been getting into the bottom position of a squat and staying there for two or three minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Start my second cycle of 5/3/1 tomorrow.

First cycle was based off a 1rm of 150kg deadlift.

Am I right in thinking my second cycle is now based off a 1rm of 155kg and workout my rep scheme from there

stuchyg wrote: »
    Start my second cycle of 5/3/1 tomorrow.

First cycle was based off a 1rm of 150kg deadlift.

Am I right in thinking my second cycle is now based off a 1rm of 155kg and workout my rep scheme from there

Surely your not calculating this yourself? You do realise there are endless calculators and spreadsheets that will calculate over a years worth of cycles by just plugging your numbers in once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Surely your not calculating this yourself? You do realise there are endless calculators and spreadsheets that will calculate over a years worth of cycles by just plugging your numbers in once.

I did not realise this, don't have my laptop ATM though to try b4 tomorrow

stuchyg wrote: »
    I did not realise this, don't have my laptop ATM though to try b4 tomorrow

In that case upper body lifts 1rm increase by 2.5kg and lower body lifts go up by 5kg then calculate from there. But get a spreadsheet from allthingsgym.com . Very handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

There's a few apps too.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement