Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the Story MkII- Off topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

There's a few apps too.

Some dude created a wendler 531 app and used wendlers name. Wendlers response "ill ****ing kill that guy "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

dor843088 wrote: »
    Some dude created a wendler 531 app and used wendlers name. Wendlers response "ill ****ing kill that guy "

He will in his hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

I'm going to buy some resistance bands for the first time this weekend. How do I know what level to go for? Will mainly be using them for some warm up and mobility work.

kevpants wrote: »
    He will in his hole.

Did you write the app or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Did you write the app or something?

No but Wendler annoys the crap out of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Pretty sure if the information is freely available online then there's nothing he can do about it.

Why can't he just be grateful that someone went to the trouble to make an app with his program?

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Da Za

Kevpants hates him for some reason.

I love him, personally, great n sound guy!

Least he doesn't plagiarize

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Blacktie. wrote: »
    I'm going to buy some resistance bands for the first time this weekend. How do I know what level to go for? Will mainly be using them for some warm up and mobility work.

I bought a purple one from a shop in town (I've used a variety in the gym) and it was ridiculously tight, completely pointless going for something like that.

eBay is a good option for resistance bands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ant11

Red band for shoulder mobility, band pull apart, disclocates etc

Green band for band distractions, pulling your hips before you squat etc.

Can pretty much do everything with these 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Pretty sure if the information is freely available online then there's nothing he can do about it.

The information is free availible, but if he is profiting from the app, it might be different.
    Regardless, no matter what the story with free info, he's using Wendler's name and he could probably tear him a new one for that.

Quick question...

I changed from low-ish bar squats to high-bar squats today. When I did low bar my upper arms and elbows stayed in line with my torso. When doing high bar today I found my elbows stayed underneath the bar, which at times meant by elbows were almost slightly in front of my torso. As far as I understand it, this is a good thing... external rotation of the arm is coupled with thoracic extension, so it's easier to maintain a "big chest." Is this right? Or should I make an effort to keep my upper arms strictly parallel to my body? I tried that and found it less stable. If this even makes sense... There's a lot of conflicting information out there. I suppose in time when I have the mobility to maintain a vertical torso when high-bar squatting this question will become irrelevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

gvn wrote: »
    Quick question...

I changed from low-ish bar squats to high-bar squats today. When I did low bar my upper arms and elbows stayed in line with my torso. When doing high bar today I found my elbows stayed underneath the bar, which at times meant by elbows were almost slightly in front of my torso. As far as I understand it, this is a good thing... external rotation of the arm is coupled with thoracic extension, so it's easier to maintain a "big chest." Is this right? Or should I make an effort to keep my upper arms strictly parallel to my body? I tried that and found it less stable. If this even makes sense... There's a lot of conflicting information out there. I suppose in time when I have the mobility to maintain a vertical torso when high-bar squatting this question will become irrelevant.

Are you using the same hand placement for both squats? Try narrower for high bar, might help.

dylbert wrote: »
    Are you using the same hand placement for both squats? Try narrower for high bar, might help.

Nope, different placement. Hands are now thumb distance in from the smooth part of the bar (same place I hold the bar when front squatting). With low bar my palms were out at the ring. I'm just wondering really if keeping elbows underneath the bar (i.e. forearms perpendicular to the floor) is a good thing, even if that means they're not parallel to the torso. Probably overthinking this a lot, though...

gvn wrote: »
    Nope, different placement. Hands are now thumb distance in from the smooth part of the bar (same place I hold the bar when front squatting). With low bar my palms were out at the ring. I'm just wondering really if keeping elbows underneath the bar (i.e. forearms perpendicular to the floor) is a good thing, even if that means they're not parallel to the torso. Probably overthinking this a lot, though...

Not sure myself, don't think it's an issue, the narrower grip will allow the elbows to drop more vertical anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

• Advertisement

How come a lot of people on here rag on wendler , 531 and the elitefts guys? Seems weird to me since they seem to put out some decent no bull**** information.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Was at snowbombing music / skiing festival last week, lots of good skiing.. May have hyper extended my knee, physio tomorrow will know more then, hoping its not too serious :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

Not sure if this has been posted already, but the TV3 programme about their presenter Lisa Cannon training as a powerlifter is on tomorrow night at 8.

conzy wrote: »
    Was at snowbombing music / skiing festival last week, lots of good skiing.. May have hyper extended my knee, physio tomorrow will know more then, hoping its not too serious :(

Is that in Mayerhofen? Was there snowboarding last year, great spot, I'd say the festivals good craic, how was the snow?
    Best of luck with the knee.

I drink 4 cups of coffee a day, sometimes 5. Always ground, always strong. two before training and two or three during the rest of the day. I work at night and I get up (relatively) early.

It doesn't make me feel bad. Are their long term downsides to this? Besides becoming desensitized to coffee.

I drink decaff too but it tastes poor compared to regular coffee. I like the taste of coffee, so it's not all about the caffeine.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

dylbert wrote: »
    Is that in Mayerhofen? Was there snowboarding last year, great spot, I'd say the festivals good craic, how was the snow?
    Best of luck with the knee.

Snow was excellent on the rastkogel, fairly slushy on the lower slopes, especially towards the end of the week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

Dermighty wrote: »
    I drink 4 cups of coffee a day, sometimes 5. Always ground, always strong. two before training and two or three during the rest of the day. I work at night and I get up (relatively) early.

It doesn't make me feel bad. Are their long term downsides to this? Besides becoming desensitized to coffee.

I drink decaff too but it tastes poor compared to regular coffee. I like the taste of coffee, so it's not all about the caffeine.

Unless your putting butter into it, it will kill you :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

I'd be the exact same as you regarding daily intake except I work early, 7:30-4.

I havent felt any downsides. Sleep quality is still fine which is the usual major complaint.

I'd be the exact same as you regarding daily intake except I work early, 7:30-4.

I havent felt any downsides. Sleep quality is still fine which is the usual major complaint.

My sleep is good. That will all change soon ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

My sleep is good. That will all change soon ;)

my sleep was good too and then I quit coffee and it was better.
    I woke fresher - hard to pinpoint cos I woke fresh before.

I have 2/3 a week still but that's down from 2/3 a day.

people have different reactions and sensitivity to it though so you'll never really know unless you quit it for a while and see how you feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Just spent half an hour getting talked to about juice+ by some rep. What a load of bollocks!

Just spent half an hour getting talked to about juice+ by some rep. What a load of bollocks!

Did they try to recruit you?

Did they try to recruit you?

Yeah. Mostly looking for advertising on my PT page.

Trying to tell me powdered vege and fruit will make people lose weight alone, my balls will it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Trying to tell me powdered vege and fruit will make people lose weight alone, my balls will it!

I'm getting upset I haven't been hassled yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Link to your PT page please, I am in a nosey mood

• Advertisement

JJayoo wrote: »
    Link to your PT page please, I am in a nosey mood

PM you! Don't want mod troubles!

Hanley wrote: »
    I'm getting upset I haven't been hassled yet.

Man they talk some fair bull****! He wanted me to talk to some PT about it and the glorious miracles it brings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

No idea how to embed a vine but anyway

https://vine.co/v/MMYigAmzKW1

Deadlift Week 1

I am aware my hips went up before the bar did, I'll make sure it doesn't happen again!

Squat week 3

Set 4/5:

Set 5/5:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

You could use your hips a bit more on the squats.

But that's just me sayin'.

Squats look good, bit stickman like:P

Try think of pushing the floor away deadlifting. Should keep your hips down a tad longer.

Try think of pushing the floor away deadlifting. Should keep your hips down a tad longer.

The neck a touch more neutral too.

You don't have to look up at the heavens when you're saying aprayer before the deadlift...that should help with the neck position starting out :pac:

You don't have to look up at the heavens when you're saying aprayer before the deadlift...that should help with the neck position starting out :pac:

Yeah the neck too. I think it's thought to have a neutral neck but a lot of us don't do it:P

Yeah, having the neck in extension just destabilises the spine. I'm inclined to do it myself but have worked extra hard on it lately.

• Advertisement

Is there a reason why you aren't pausing at the top and just bombing it back down? Sorry I'm not up to date with this.

Is there a reason why you aren't pausing at the top and just bombing it back down? Sorry I'm not up to date with this.

I thought he was working to a tempo but it looks as though he does it with them all. Probs habit.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Deadlift Week 1

I am aware my hips went up before the bar did, I'll make sure it doesn't happen again!

Squat week 3

Set 4/5:

Set 5/5:

Squats look decent.

What's with the tracksuit bottoms? Squats should be done in shorts.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

You could use your hips a bit more on the squats.

But that's just me sayin'.

Use my hips more, you mean bending at the hips, am I torso forward a bit? My hips were/are particularly tight today and I feel like I've a potentially injured left hip. I did a number of hip mobility exercises but the left is still rusty.

Stickman meaning like a demonstration stickman video? I'll take that if so :)

The hips up before lifting was advice given by the trainer who taught me the clean and said that ideally the same should apply to the deadlift. In hindsight, having done some research it's wrong and is not something I should be doing.
    I thought he was working to a tempo but it looks as though he does it with them all. Probs habit.

I prefer to not having a pause at the top.

The descent feels controlled.

I confess that there is a tv right over the platform, something caught my eye :P

Neck more neutral on the deadlift or squat?

Sometimes on near/max efforts looking up gives a sort of hope it's coming to an end/up.

But more neutral on the DL Dermighty.

Brian? wrote: »
    Squats look decent.

What's with the tracksuit bottoms? Squats should be done in shorts.

I call BS on the shorts. Hate squatting in them. Fat pants FTW!

• Advertisement

Sometimes on near/max efforts looking up gives a sort of hope it's coming to an end/up.

But more neutral on the DL Dermighty.

I only DL'd three reps in total today. 60kgx1, 110kgx1, 150kgx1. Felt much better than other days because of the mobility work.

I don't intentionally look up or have a non-neutral head position.

I call BS on the shorts. Hate squatting in them. No pants FTW!

FYP

What's people opinions on metcons? I hear it's a pretty solid alternative to cardio but I'd rather not have it affect my regular workouts either. I'm currently doing RPT 3 times a week and was thinking of adding in metcons for the other 3 days. Currently on a cut.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Deadlift Week 1

Squat week 3

Set 4/5:

Set 5/5:

Hope this helps...

May take a few to upload.

Thanks for the feedback Hanley.

Deadlift: The angle of the video was bad, just a result of the particular platform I was on. I'll get a better angle the next time.

I did set up as per the set up section in the supple leopard book and a number of other videos I've seen on setting up for the deadlift. Glutes+core were tight+engaged and I've noted that obviously didn't bring the lats down enough/at all. This was all before I bent to get a grip on the bar. I don't know if I need to be lower when I start the lift or what the story is, I understand that the bar should rise as I rise, in my instance my hips/ass rises first then the bar rises as the arms take the slack out of the bar, meaning my lower back does all the work (and gives me lower back pain). What causes the shins to move over the bar? Hardly my ankles as I deadlifted at the end of the session so I was still mobile. The line of the bar is over the middle of my foot (halfway between my instep and the start of my toes).

Squat: I haven't been doing a lot of squatting, just on two days since the first video I put up so what you see is all the mobility work rather than practice. I wasn't actually sure what I was supposed to be doing at the top of the squat but what you mentioned about bringing the elbows forward etc to avoid adjusting at the bottom makes sense.

Yeah it's a cool gym, that area has 4 power cages w/ 4 platforms attached and another 4 platforms at the other side of the room.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement