Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the Story MkII- Off topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,675 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Cross one leg over the other & use a short foam roller.
    Then use your hands to roll beck & forth.

If using a roller made of foam, try a grid or even a PVC pipe

^ Works for me too. Can't get in amongst it like I can with the lacrosse ball but can still get some good work done on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Yeah I had been crossing one leg over the other and rolling back and forth.

My roller is from foamrollersbydesign, I'll just have to pick up something smaller I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Essien wrote: »
    How do you foam roll your hamstrings? I find it difficult to apply any kind of pressure at all. It's annoying too because it's easily my biggest problem area.

I used to sit ont eh foam roller but that's a waste of energy I found. Now I sit on a chair with a tennis ball between my hamstring and the chair, does the job!

I like crossing my legs and sitting on the safety pin of a squat/power rack and slowly working over each leg individually. You can use your full body weight, the surface area of the pin is fairly small, and I find it far easier than using a roller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

I roll on the barbell. It works nicely.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Essien wrote: »
    How do you foam roll your hamstrings? I find it difficult to apply any kind of pressure at all. It's annoying too because it's easily my biggest problem area.

Don't find foam rollers any use on my hams. I use a baseball instead.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,178 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Just tried quark for the first time. Definitely one to add to the shopping list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ant11

Best thing for rolling hammies is to sit a barbell below hip height on the rack so you can sit on it. Sit your hamstrings onto it and bobs your uncle. You can go to town on your hammies this way. Move back n forth, floss side to side, add extra weight, get a superfriend to push your leg down and get in there. Loads of options.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭jane82

Im at 70kg now lads. Muscles are building good and very little fat at the moment. Im 5 8 tall. How many inches in height would I need to lose to compete at that weight.

Note:just as a matter of interest and out of boredom I wondered what height would a competeing bodybuilder be at my weight.I am far from competeing levels at the moment but improving although Im getting old.
    What weight would a 5 8 lad normally compete at.

jane82 wrote: »
    Im at 70kg now lads. Muscles are building good and very little fat at the moment. Im 5 8 tall. How many inches in height would I need to lose to compete at that weight.

Note:just as a matter of interest and out of boredom I wondered what height would a competeing bodybuilder be at my weight.I am far from competeing levels at the moment but improving although Im getting old.

I'm pretty sure whatever weight they want?

• Advertisement

I'm pretty sure whatever weight they want?

On average though. Surely you wouldnt get a 6ft6 fella in my weight class regularly. Im just wondering weightwise because Im now bursting out of my t shirts and trouser legs but loseing weight. Im just wondering what kind of height weight ratio to be hoping for if I stepped up now and took it serious.

On average though. Surely you wouldnt get a 6ft6 fella in my weight class regularly. Im just wondering weightwise because Im now bursting out of my t shirts and trouser legs but loseing weight. Im just wondering what kind of height weight ratio to be hoping for if I stepped up now and took it serious.

Maybe you're clothes are too small to begin with...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

A lad I knew competed in the uk at a similar height in the lb140s and won. On the other hand jay cutler is 5' 9 and is about 270 lbs on stage.

Dermighty wrote: »
    Maybe you're clothes are too small to begin with...

To begin with they were fine. Now the waist is too big and the legs too small.
    I need bigger t shirts but I weigh less. Its a strange world Im living in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

And your name is Jane & you're a boy.
    Strange indeed

Maybe Im a really skinny girl and I have the body dismorphic disorder and think Im a beefcake of a man. Better go the doctor to check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

To begin with they were fine. Now the waist is too big and the legs too small.
    I need bigger t shirts but I weigh less. Its a strange world Im living in.

Bigger legs, smaller waist is not really an uncommon reaction.

Phil Heath, Dexter Jackson, Kai Green, Jay Cutler are all around 5'7-9" and prob to the scales at around 245-275lbs.
    Aim high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

dor843088 wrote: »
    jay cutler is 5' 9 and is about 270 lbs on stage.

Wow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

GosqCzH.jpg

Mellor wrote: »
    Bigger legs, smaller waist is not really an uncommon reaction.

Phil Heath, Dexter Jackson, Kai Green, Jay Cutler are all around 5'7-9" and prob to the scales at around 245-275lbs.
    Aim high.

Just to point out they are also taking a variety of performance enhancing drugs that give them the ability to train and recovery unlike a regular person, so a natural 5'9" 270lb (on stage) bodybuilder is fairly unlikely (I'm not saying it's impossible).

Why do gym instructors give new people programs with 6 or 7 exercises in it as an introductory program?

Does it have to do with getting them familiar with the muscle group and exercises or is it for better results or is it because people using machines are less likely to drop the weight on their head?

I remember the program I got when I first joined the gym and it had more sets than a pro bodybuilder would do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Why do gym instructors give new people programs with 6 or 7 exercises in it as an introductory program?

Does it have to do with getting them familiar with the muscle group and exercises or is it for better results or is it because people using machines are less likely to drop the weight on their head?

I remember the program I got when I first joined the gym and it had more sets than a pro bodybuilder would do.

Because 'warm up and do three sets of five reps of these three compound exercises today; these three in two days time; alternate thereafter and add a little weight each time while doing 15 minutes or so of reasonably intense cardio to finish' is too simple.

Just to get in here and defend us. When I programme for new people, it's goal specific. But most need very basic programming.

A lot of the time it's them being afraid to do x, y and z.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I challenge anyone to give a comprehensive assessment and plan of action covering all bases plus assessments measurements and form filling to someone who may never have exercised in an hour.

I further challenge you to provide exercises which minimize the risk of an acute injury happening once the trainee goes off unsupervised to perform it themselves.

And finally I challenge you to stay so motivated and do that 6-8 times per day, 5 days per week for an insultingly low wage, to groups of people who are mostly there on impulse, and won't last more than a few weeks.

Oh and as a bonus challenge, inside of that time, provide Nutrition advice and try to debunk every exercise myth they've heard for the last however many years. And get immediate buy in from them.

Your move, wannabes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Hanley wrote: »
    I challenge anyone to give a comprehensive assessment and plan of action covering all bases plus assessments measurements and form filling to someone who may never have exercised in an hour.

I further challenge you to provide exercises which minimize the risk of an acute injury happening once the trainee goes off unsupervised to perform it themselves.

And finally I challenge you to stay so motivated and do that 6-8 times per day, 5 days per week for an insultingly low wage, to groups of people who are mostly there on impulse, and won't last more than a few weeks.

Oh and as a bonus challenge, inside of that time, provide Nutrition advice and try to debunk every exercise myth they've heard for the last however many years. And get immediate buy in from them.

Your move, wannabes.

It's not your fault, It's not your fault....It's not your fault

Your move, wannabes.

Man, that is the quote of a ****ing lifetime!

Even I, as inexperienced as I am in the game, get this 'ah sure you just sit on your whole and watch' soft job, soft money. BOLLOCKS!

People expect stuff for free. They think your time isn't valuable but there's is the most important thing in the world. They want the premium package for penneys.

If ANYTHING happens badly, it reflects on you. You give them nutrition and they say nah fcuk it and didn't lose weight/gain mass etc.. who does it reflect on? You, the PT!

You get clients who come in and don't want to do this, that and the other. Want to be spoon fed their meals and do the work for them. You give them an example of a healthy fat or whatever and the reply is 'I don't like that' and then they say to their peers you make them eat this eat.

You give them the tools to reach whatever goals they want and it's up to them to do their part too.

Now granted there is trainers who are stone useless and don't value their clients but for the average Joe looking in it's easy to say we as PTs do sweet nothing. There are countless things you have to consider before they even pick up a weight.

But do you know what makes it all worth it? Seeing a client come back after 12 weeks or whatever amount of time and saying thank you, you've changed my life in so many incredible ways. I can play with my kids, walk to the shop without feeling like death etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Just to point out they are also taking a variety of performance enhancing drugs that give them the ability to train and recovery unlike a regular person, so a natural 5'9" 270lb (on stage) bodybuilder is fairly unlikely (I'm not saying it's impossible).
    The OP asked what if he took it seriously. The first step to being serious is probably dropping any delusions of being natural.

PEDs aside, the point was that 5'8" is pretty typical and the entire range is there for him. You don't see many (truthfully) tall bodybuilders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,308 ✭✭✭COH

Your move, wannabes.

Starting Strength and GOMAD

What do I win!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

COH wrote: »

What do I win!?

Another quest bar?

What do I win!?

A €10 an hour job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,178 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Man, that is the quote of a ****ing lifetime!

Even I, as inexperienced as I am in the game, get this 'ah sure you just sit on your whole and watch' soft job, soft money. BOLLOCKS!

People expect stuff for free. They think your time isn't valuable but there's is the most important thing in the world. They want the premium package for penneys.

If ANYTHING happens badly, it reflects on you. You give them nutrition and they say nah fcuk it and didn't lose weight/gain mass etc.. who does it reflect on? You, the PT!

You get clients who come in and don't want to do this, that and the other. Want to be spoon fed their meals and do the work for them. You give them an example of a healthy fat or whatever and the reply is 'I don't like that' and then they say to their peers you make them eat this eat.

You give them the tools to reach whatever goals they want and it's up to them to do their part too.

Now granted there is trainers who are stone useless and don't value their clients but for the average Joe looking in it's easy to say we as PTs do sweet nothing. There are countless things you have to consider before they even pick up a weight.

But do you know what makes it all worth it? Seeing a client come back after 12 weeks or whatever amount of time and saying thank you, you've changed my life in so many incredible ways. I can play with my kids, walk to the shop without feeling like death etc..
    All that applies to nearly any client facing job.

Sure if it was easy it you would get bored easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,512 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Your move, wannabes.

Living the dream eh?

Mellor wrote: »
    The OP asked what if he took it seriously. The first step to being serious is probably dropping any delusions of being natural.

PEDs aside, the point was that 5'8" is pretty typical and the entire range is there for him. You don't see many (truthfully) tall bodybuilders.

Fair point.

I wanted to point out that being at a high level doesn't happen without those drugs, as it hadn't be explicitly mentioned beforehand.

Living the dream eh?

I am anyway.

Most lads going into the industry get a rude awakening though because ya don't just walk into a big group of paying clients cos you've a piece of paper with "gym instructor" or "PT" on it.

It's a shame, cos there's a lot of good guys wasted in gyms.

It's a shame, cos there's a lot of good guys wasted in gyms.

I agree.

There's a lot of good gyms wasted with bad staff too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

A skill that's very difficult to teach is empowering someone to make changes in their life. Another skill that some seldom have is patience. I tutor and give grinds and it's the only thing that's managed to help my students progress (apart from my awesome instruction of course :pac:).

They're very basic skills, which people often neglect to learn.

• Advertisement

Youd think there would be a market for fitness instructors to live in your house and cook and shop for you for a weekly wage.
    If I was a single man with no family Id dive at the free food and board on top of the wage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

A butler/trainer/chef.

Nice idea.
    There'd be some outlay for that though

Youd think there would be a market for fitness instructors to live in your house and cook and shop for you for a weekly wage.
    If I was a single man with no family Id dive at the free food and board on top of the wage.

Isn't that what celebs have

bluewolf wrote: »
    Isn't that what celebs have

Youd think itd be more affordable though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,512 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Fitness au pairs.

• Advertisement

www.rte.ie/tv/dragonsden

To do it above board would be too dear. If a chaps on 450 a week youd have to add maybe 450 to that prsi and insurance etc etc. Money for when you have no work for him. Itd get dear.
    If somebody who needed a fitness trainer put an ad up looking for somebody to live and eat and train with him itd only cost maybe 400 and food and board.
    I think itd be very beneficial for some people over maybe 6 weeks for them to realise what portionsize/meal plans are , how to shop etc etc.
    How many people leave the gym cant be arsed cooking and buy a pizza. If a trainer/cook was leaving the gym with you thatd be no problem.
    Itd beat working in a gym all day telling people stuff and watching them pretending they are going to implement it.
    Works for both parties.

Someone will find a link but there's a company in the US and I think the UK that send you your meals each day or each week, with all the calories and portions organised for you depending on your goals. Pretty cool idea.

Someone will find a link but there's a company in the US and I think the UK that send you your meals each day or each week, with all the calories and portions organised for you depending on your goals. Pretty cool idea.

2 or 3 companies in Dublin offer the same service

2 or 3 companies in Dublin offer the same service

What kind of charge are we looking at? Food quality etc. Atleast with a trainer in your kitchen you know you are getting something he will eat and not reheat drool.
    If people out there are willing to spend thousands a year on bicycles or windsurfing gear etc etc I really think this would be a better way for them result wise.
    At the end of the day most beginners just want to look good the fancy bike usually ends up in the shed on top of the old treadmill on top of the old electric ab belt thingys.
    Its like a bootcamp in in your house for 6 weeks for 3000.
    If somebody knew how to sell it Im sure itd take off as a thing the average chap with some disposeable income would go for from seeing results when their friends or coworkers did it.
    Itd be a young persons game (moving every 6 weeks etc) but good money and if you got a good name you could up the charge.

What kind of charge are we looking at? Food quality etc. Atleast with a trainer in your kitchen you know you are getting something he will eat and not reheat drool.
    If people out there are willing to spend thousands a year on bicycles or windsurfing gear etc etc I really think this would be a better way for them result wise.
    At the end of the day most beginners just want to look good the fancy bike usually ends up in the shed on top of the old treadmill on top of the old electric ab belt thingys.
    Its like a bootcamp in in your house for 6 weeks for 3000.
    If somebody knew how to sell it Im sure itd take off as a thing the average chap with some disposeable income would go for from seeing results when their friends or coworkers did it.
    Itd be a young persons game (moving every 6 weeks etc) but good money and if you got a good name you could up the charge.

I'm a PT - if someone wanted me to move in with them, coach them with 24hr access, do their shopping, cook their food etc I'd be looking for a lot more then 3 grand. 3 grand would work out at about 3 euro per hour over 6 weeks.

A quick google of meal delivery ireland throws up fighterfood.ie and paleo meal delivery. Macros and price etc are on their websites

I'm a PT - if someone wanted me to move in with them, coach them with 24hr access, do their shopping, cook their food etc I'd be looking for a lot more then 3 grand. 3 grand would work out at about 3 euro per hour over 6 weeks.
    Youd bring them shopping. When you cook for you, you make twice as much. Give them a shout and tell them grubs up. Take them the gym a few days a week. Its hardly 20 hours work really. Think of it as having a housemate who needs you to throw chocolate in the bin every morning and asks the odd question.

Youd bring them shopping. When you cook for you, you make twice as much. Give them a shout and tell them grubs up. Take them the gym a few days a week. Its hardly 20 hours work really. Think of it as having a housemate who needs you to throw chocolate in the bin every morning and asks the odd question.

For 26k a year (max) you get the guarantee of not living at home and being on call for someone 24 hrs a day. Sounds like a dream job to me :rolleyes:

Three grand for six weeks? That'll take off.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement