Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the Story MkII- Off topic thread

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭jane82

Fighterfood 90 euro for 12 meals special.
    Without looking at the meals.
    3 days food. 90 euro.
    7 days food. 210euro.
    I could teach somebody to eat healthy and big for a fraction of that. I have no qualifications in fitness.
    Im sure a PT could do a good bodybuilder or whatever diet on less than half that atleast.
    As an investment it makes sense it teaches people to fish instead of tossing an expensive tupperware encased fish at them and hoping they dont have a snackbox with it.
    My idea is better for the customer in the longrun I reckon.

COH wrote: »
    For 26k a year (max) you get the guarantee of not living at home and being on call for someone 24 hrs a day. Sounds like a dream job to me :rolleyes:

With food and board. 26k disposeable income starting off. If you were good youd charge more the richer the circles youd move in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,308 ✭✭✭COH

I suggest you give it a go and report back in 12 months.

COH wrote: »
    I suggest you give it a go and report back in 12 months.

If I was ten years younger and didnt have a pile of kids I would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,675 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

jane82 wrote: »
    With food and board. 26k disposeable income starting off. If you were good youd charge more the richer the circles youd move in.

You're already pitching it at people who will part with 3k for 6wks worth of dinners and training. How much more do you think you'd get for that time?

26k before tax isn't mind-blowing either. Not for the amount of horseshít you'd have to endure living with someone else.

And it's only 26k if you're working the whole year round. That's an awful lot of horseshít to have to deal with. You'd be forking out a lot of that on counselling.

If I was ten years younger and didnt have a pile of kids and had any credentials to be a trainer and a chef...I would.

FYP.

Maybe youd need to charge more and go more full-time. Year contracts etc. Youd need to go for richer people though. Bank managers and stuff.
    I doubt the average bank manager would be too impressed with chicken scraps and tomato on a 3 egg omellete for breakfast though.
    Are there any young people on here with no ties and PT qualifications thatd give a rough idea of a charge for this?
    Considering work is scarce rent and food paid for and you are your own boss.
    Maybe my idea is just an old man looking on the footloose days of youth with rose tinted glasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

Handiest job ever . I wouldnt even have to look up from my morning paper to tell the client to grab a chicken breast and two scoops of rice from the fridge id prepared 3 days ago. " At twelve o clock your driving me to the gym fatboy " .

Thats it. Youd live the dream of full time training with a pudgey fella who pays you to live in his house so he can tag along with you.

• Advertisement

You'd be fishing in a pretty small pond with what you'd have to charge to make it worthwhile.

Thats it. Youd live the dream of full time training with a pudgey fella who pays you to live in his house so he can tag along with you.

Now it just sounds like a rent boy that moonlights as a PT.

"I'll hire you if you wear... the outfit"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Possibly the worst life ambition ever.

Dathai wrote: »
    Possibly the worst life ambition ever.

Save like fook for two years you have near 50 000. Get a title or two whole full time training.
    The worlds your oyster. Better than sweating it out down in brand name fitness on minimum wage for two years struggling to pay the rent.

Save like fook for two years you have near 50 000. Get a title or two whole full time training.
    The worlds your oyster. Better than sweating it out down in brand name fitness on minimum wage for two years struggling to pay the rent.

Full time training? The jacks won't clean itself.

Also, that's 50k before tax and not including counselling costs.

• Advertisement

Self employed youd pay very little tax on less than 600 a week.
    Youd claim for your spandex and protein etc.
    If somebody had of asked me to live in their house and teach them plumbing or guitar at that price when I was younger Id have given it a go.

You'd probably have been better off being a plumber that did a bit of busking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Save like fook for two years you have near 50 000.
    Do you honestly think you could live like that and spend no money?
    Its workable for celebrities because the ridiculous salary makes it worth it. Trying to pitch it to "bank managers" for minimum wage plus bed & board is downright ridiculous.

Nobody who could afford that service (700-900 per week inc food) became rich by giving their cash away. One look at your fee proposal and they point out that PT sessions plus delivered food is less than half of what you are pitching.

If you want a full wage, you end up doing a full days work. school runs, babysitting, all families meals, errands, scoop the dog ****.

Meh just my musings turnss out its a non runner. Whats next on the get rich quick agenda?
    How about 4 second abs?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Meh just my musings turnss out its a non runner. Whats next on the get rich quick agenda?
    How about 4 second abs?

A year of giving nothing but value. Helping everyone every day. Then launching something off the back of it to become "an overnight success"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,178 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

After years of disappointment with get-rich-quick schemes, I know I'm gonna get rich with this scheme...and quick!

Sangre wrote: »
    After years of disappointment with get-rich-quick schemes, I know I'm gonna get rich with this scheme...and quick!

LAWL!!

If people worried more about giving than taking they'd be much better off for sure.

Here's the best marketing lesson I've ever learned;

"Don't ask a girl to marry you before you bought her a drink"

Translated as;

"Don't ask someone to hand over their life savings to you by tricking them unless you've already show and communicated some of the value you can offer them"

:)

...I have it all explained nicely in a new ebook which you can by now for just €667. It'll get you rich quick. REAL quick.

I've also brought out an ebook on how to get a girl to marry you without buying her a drink.

I know guys who didnt buy the book. Their girlfriends left them for somebody who bought the book.

That's why the tagline is "Buy the book, not the drink".

I've also brought out an ebook on how to get a girl to marry you without buying her a drink.

I'm working on my new one "how to get divorced, and have HER buy you a drink".

We should joint venture.

Hanley wrote: »
    I'm working on my new one "how to get divorced, and have HER buy you a drink".

We should joint venture.

I like it.

"Marriage, on the rocks. And you're buying!"

I like it.

"Marriage, on the rocks. And you're buying!"

...so you married a girl without buying her a drink? How'd that go? Buy our new "why you should buy her a drink first" ebook and save over €100,000**

**assuming the average net worth of someone is 200k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Been a while since I've had my form looked at. Who wants to critique today!

This is me at ~80kg withh 142.5kg deadlift. It's about 75% of my 1RM. Been a while since I've tested. This set is my back off set after doing 162.5kg x5. Sorry about the lousy camera setup. I recorded the 162.5 but it was set up terribly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Been a while since I've had my form looked at. Who wants to critique today!

This is me at ~80kg withh 142.5kg deadlift. It's about 75% of my 1RM. Been a while since I've tested. This set is my back off set after doing 162.5kg x5. Sorry about the lousy camera setup. I recorded the 162.5 but it was set up terribly.

Your back never really to be in a flat position when you are setting up and starting the lift. I found the same happening to myself.

When you start with a straight back you're hinging from your hips instead of your spine, this is a good thing! The image is for illustration of what I'm talking about. When I started setting up correctly the technique felt completely different. Without setting up like this I was still able to lift 160-170kg, albeit with a sore back the next day!

01.jpg

I'd say try and have a more neutral head position. I can't see your head at the top of the lift and I can't see if there's a mirror in front of you or not but having your head neutral will reduce some of the strain. This is also someone I found myself doing.

• Advertisement

I'm no expert on form by any stretch and others will comment with more usefulness and while It didn't look much of an issue there I did think your knees look a little forward and the shins aren't as close to vertical and your upper body is a little too far over the bar, so when you start the pull (not as much wirth the first rep but the ones after) your hips get pulled forward and you have to work that bit harder to get the bar up.

Dermighty wrote: »
    Your back never really to be in a flat position when you are setting up and starting the lift. I found the same happening to myself.

When you start with a straight back you're hinging from your hips instead of your spine, this is a good thing! The image is for illustration of what I'm talking about. When I started setting up correctly the technique felt completely different. Without setting up like this I was still able to lift 160-170kg, albeit with a sore back the next day!

01.jpg

I'd say try and have a more neutral head position. I can't see your head at the top of the lift and I can't see if there's a mirror in front of you or not but having your head neutral will reduce some of the strain. This is also someone I found myself doing.

Ok so a lot more hinging at the hips. Na no mirror just a wall. Head position is something I need to be more concious of. That and my upper back position. Have to consciously force my chest up everytime.
    I'm no expert on form by any stretch and others will comment with more usefulness and while It didn't look much of an issue there I did think your knees look a little forward and the shins aren't as close to vertical and your upper body is a little too far over the bar, so when you start the pull (not as much wirth the first rep but the ones after) your hips get pulled forward and you have to work that bit harder to get the bar up.

Could probably start a bit closer to the bar alright. I think the hinging should fix the upper body placement in the later reps.

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Ok so a lot more hinging at the hips. Na no mirror just a wall. Head position is something I need to be more concious of. That and my upper back position. Have to consciously force my chest up everytime.

Could probably start a bit closer to the bar alright. I think the hinging should fix the upper body placement in the later reps.

I found that by making sure my shoulders were pulled back and my lats engaged when I wasstanding up straight (before reaching down to the bar) I was able to keep my back straight. Don't go down to the bar then adjust, you should only touch the bar when you have adjusted already. That's how I see it. I've noticed the difference. When you grab the bar, try and bend itwith your hands, this will further engage your lats, for me it seems to knock 10 or 15kg off the way the bar feels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

So last week Dermighty was the student and now he's the tutor:pac:

I'm a student this week and the next!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

We're all students, forever :)

You sad that's not you anymore?

Dermighty wrote: »
    I found that by making sure my shoulders were pulled back and my lats engaged when I wasstanding up straight (before reaching down to the bar) I was able to keep my back straight. Don't go down to the bar then adjust, you should only touch the bar when you have adjusted already. That's how I see it. I've noticed the difference. When you grab the bar, try and bend itwith your hands, this will further engage your lats, for me it seems to knock 10 or 15kg off the way the bar feels.

Trying to squeeze your shoulders together won't work once the weight gets heavy. You just won't be strong enough for it. Shoulders "down" more than shoulders "back" is good.

As for going down to the bar and NOT adjusting, if you watch most good deadlifters - that's exactly what they do, adjust after they've grabbed it.

Bolton - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNvONtw-94g

Magnusson - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4jO21-a2W0

Konstantinovs - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh-ikyBAQr8

Trying to squeeze your shoulders together won't work once the weight gets heavy. You just won't be strong enough for it. Shoulders "down" more than shoulders "back" is good.

As for going down to the bar and NOT adjusting, if you watch most good deadlifters - that's exactly what they do, adjust after they've grabbed it.

Bolton - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNvONtw-94g

Magnusson - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4jO21-a2W0

Konstantinovs - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh-ikyBAQr8

That's what I had intended to say, mistake in the wording.

What I was getting at was getting a straighter back, whether from the top down or the bottom up. In his K* book it mentions that the top down is the easiest and most effective set up model. I was giving guideline, which I got from you and others here myself last week. I found the advice to be very effective, and from looking at my deadlifting video from 2 weeks ago I found that there were similarities between my form and Blackties form.

I don't want to have to disclaimer my posts on these topics with "I'm new to this!" but I don't think that the post I made was a horrible mutilation of the advice I was given last week. I'm not replying to Blacktie as an authority, just an observer who is in the same boat as Blacktie.

Regards the videos you posted, I've seen a few like that before and I'm not disputing that both methods work and also I don't think either set up model is better (because I don't enoughabout deadlifting to know why one would be better than the other if they were both done correctly).

As always anyone who reads things on this website is entitled to take what they deem as useful and discard what they deem as being unuseful and of course everyone is welcome to challenge posts too, as you have done, I've no issue with that and if someone more learned than I wants to correct me, I'd appreciate it.

• Advertisement

Good tips here folks. Just need a few adjustments to get back into it I think. I don't know if I would be able to get fully set before getting into position so that's good to hear Hanley. Must dig up some of the books I have on form as well.

Ohhhhh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Thought this was a good video about the technical aspects of the deadlift set up.

What do people think about his idea that everyone should pull sumo?

You sad that's not you anymore?

I'd love to be back in Elite! The courses should be longer:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

The main problems I see with deadlifts is that people feel they have to squat down to the bar, It's not a squat you're not trying to hit parallel before you pull the bar.

Second is that people seem to use a very wide stance, I think your foot placement should be determined by your grip. Let your hands hang down, that's how far apart your hands should be on the bar, now get your foot placement to fit that.

Above is based on watching lads deadlift in NUIG gym a while back, so not based on anyone here, I think everyone here is lovely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

JJayoo wrote: »

Above is based on watching lads deadlift in NUIG gym a while back, so not based on anyone here, I think everyone here is lovely

You are such a slut.

• Advertisement

JJayoo wrote: »
    The main problems I see with deadlifts is that people feel they have to squat down to the bar, It's not a squat you're not trying to hit parallel before you pull the bar.

Second is that people seem to use a very wide stance, I think your foot placement should be determined by your grip. Let your hands hang down, that's how far apart your hands should be on the bar, now get your foot placement to fit that.

Yeah I used to be a lot worse. Obviously haven't ironed out the issue completely yet but it's much better than it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Some absolutely unreal set ups here: www.facebook.com/sorinex.strength/photos_albums

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

Does anyone here know anyone who's done Paul McIlroy's 12 week physique program? I'm always astounded at the results people get, not just in terms of physique, but in their lifts as well. I know the lighting and posing in the before/afters plays a part but it's still pretty insane. Here's a link to their page.

Does anyone know what type of programming/diet they use? Obviously you can't give away their secrets but just to give us an idea of how they do it? I never see them discussed here.

I'm probably coming across as a shill here. I actually have nothing to do with them at all. I'm just intrigued.

CM24 wrote: »
    Does anyone here know anyone who's done Paul McIlroy's 12 week physique program? I'm always astounded at the results people get, not just in terms of physique, but in their lifts as well. I know the lighting and posing in the before/afters plays a part but it's still pretty insane. Here's a link to their page.

Does anyone know what type of programming/diet they use? Obviously you can't give away their secrets but just to give us an idea of how they do it? I never see them discussed here.

I'm probably coming across as a shill here. I actually have nothing to do with them at all. I'm just intrigued.

They're frickin' awesome!

CM24 wrote: »

Well considering they're all bigger than me they're obviously on steroids.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement