Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the Story MkII- Off topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

CM24 wrote: »
    Does anyone here know anyone who's done Paul McIlroy's 12 week physique program? I'm always astounded at the results people get, not just in terms of physique, but in their lifts as well. I know the lighting and posing in the before/afters plays a part but it's still pretty insane. Here's a link to their page.

Does anyone know what type of programming/diet they use? Obviously you can't give away their secrets but just to give us an idea of how they do it? I never see them discussed here.

I'm probably coming across as a shill here. I actually have nothing to do with them at all. I'm just intrigued.

It just looks like the results from a good diet and workout, combined with overall calorie loss leading to a low body fat percentage at the end. Hence each person looks ripped afterwards. You can see in each photo they all have a decent body shape under the normal body fat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭jane82

Yeah just looks like they cut then stood closer to the camera with better lighting and some tan. I could be wrong though.
    You are a personal trainer though so Id say you know more than me.
    Maybe he knows about a food thats in every home and nobody realises that it has special fat loss and muscle building powers.
    Maybe he sussed that the 1 hour window actually works better as a 20-40 minute window.
    Id say its just cutting lighting and tan though.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

What impresses me most is the improvement in people's lifting stats while losing bodyfat. It was this Facebook post today that brought it to my attention again. From what I gather, he places a lot of emphasis on weighted chins and weighted dips in the programs. Apparently Pavel's book ''Power to the People'' is what most influenced his programming. Here's a summary of another client's results. This was back in 2008 though. Just posting for the sake of discussion really.

It is strange they cut like that and made huge gains in lifting.
    Id say hes big into his pull ups anyway some great backs in the pictures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Fun fact: Every weight can be heavy... with the right tempo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Good form combined with a PT looking over you could help keep it heavy too.

Fun fact: every weight can be made heavier by swapping good carbs with chocolate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Good form combined with a PT looking over you could help keep it heavy too.

They COULD. That wasn't my point.

I just bought turkey sausages today. I know not ideal but I like a sausage now and again so decided to try turkey for a slightly healthier option.
    The pack was covered so you couldnt see how many was in it. For €3.20 I got 6 little sausages.
    How do these people sleep at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

jane82 wrote: »
    I just bought turkey sausages today. I know not ideal but I like a sausage now and again so decided to try turkey for a slightly healthier option.
    The pack was covered so you couldnt see how many was in it. For €3.20 I got 6 little sausages.

Theyre not healthier.

• Advertisement

dor843088 wrote: »
    Theyre not healthier.

They must be healthier than pork sausages no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

For €3.20 I got 6 little sausages.

On a pocket-sprung, super king mattress and under Egyptian cotton sheets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Define healthier. You talking about macros or overall ingredients?

I compared turkey sausages and turkey bacon to the pork and the only difference was one or two grams of fat. Hardly worth paying double the price . Theyll all be made with different quantities of fat tho depending on brand .

Define healthier. You talking about macros or overall ingredients?

Considering Im now having two burgers to fill me up because Id to share the sausages I should have just bought a turkey breast.
    You think you can have a little treat for yourself and the turkey sausage monsters ruin everything for you.
    Ill eat a tomato with it because I feel guilty now.

Depends. If there's the same percentage of meat in each,there won't be much difference. Turkey sausages will more than likely have the same filler as pork sausages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Sausages are made from the sh1te that's swept up off the floor and cleaned from the machines, and when it says 90% pork remember that the this includes the pigs skin,trotters,face, so essentially sausages are made from the faces of terrified pigs.

JJayoo wrote: »
    essentially sausages are made from the faces of terrified pigs.

Bualadh bos :)

Sausages are made from the sh1te that's swept up off the floor and cleaned from the machines, and when it says 90% pork remember that the this includes the pigs skin,trotters,face, so essentially sausages are made from the faces of terrified pigs.

Iv eaten the face off a few pigs in my time. Only it was me who ended up terrified ........ I think.

• Advertisement

Iv eaten the face off a few pigs in my time. Only it was me who ended up terrified ........ I think.

Was there a banjo duel in the background?

Was there a banjo duel in the background?

It was like a scene from the deliverance alright but not the dueling banjo scene.

Haha Ive no problem eating the face or the trotters.
    No waist round here everything except the oink gets ate.

Haha Ive no problem eating the face or the trotters.
    No waist round here everything except the oink gets ate.

Unselfish lover. Fair play to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Can anyone who regularly does box jumps tell me how you train them? Sets/reps etc? Have never really done them but tried it out the last couple of weeks and got to a max height. Now I dunno what to do to improve on them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Can anyone who regularly does box jumps tell me how you train them? Sets/reps etc? Have never really done them but tried it out the last couple of weeks and got to a max height. Now I dunno what to do to improve on them.

Lol. Today was "power" day in EFPA and I put together new notes for it. I'll mail em to you now.

• Advertisement

Hanley wrote: »
    Lol. Today was "power" day in EFPA and I put together new notes for it. I'll mail em to you now.

Well that's some serious timing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Defranco uses jumps to train triple extension with his athletes, just google "Defranco box jumos" and you will find loads of stuff

Sweet thanks. Any ideas on what's a decent height to achieve?

Had the bar on my back and was about to squat and a guy tapped me on the back to ask how many sets I'd left... I ignored him, then went for a second rep and he did it again. Ignored him again and he just walked off muttering. Why do people do these things? How stupid does a person have to be to not understand when it's a bad time to ask another person a question? Crazy.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

gvn wrote: »
    How stupid does a person have to be to not understand when it's a bad time to ask another person a question? Crazy.

The other day I was benching and someone put weight back on the hangers of the bench I was using, frightened the shíte out of me.. And I am guilty of doing it in the past.. Won't do it anymore

• Advertisement

gvn wrote: »
    Had the bar on my back and was about to squat and a guy tapped me on the back to ask how many sets I'd left... I ignored him, then went for a second rep and he did it again. Ignored him again and he just walked off muttering. Why do people do these things? How stupid does a person have to be to not understand when it's a bad time to ask another person a question? Crazy.

Please tell me you just made that up for the craic.

conzy wrote: »
    The other day I was benching and someone put weight back on the hangers of the bench I was using, frightened the shíte out of me.. And I am guilty of doing it in the past.. Won't do it anymore

That's one thing, and it's not the worst... but actively touching and talking to someone who's about to squat/bench/whatever? That's just stupidity!
    Please tell me you just made that up for the craic.

I wish. The guy was... a few beers short of a six pack, though, I'd guess. Still no excuse. He could cause someone to get badly hurt.

You should have dumped the bar onto the safety bars... he wouldn't have done it again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Trotters, pork cheek, fatty pork bellies. Doesn't sell enough so it's bunged into cases as waste.
    But give it to a decent chef and it's suddenly gourmet and the best part of the pig.

You should have dumped the bar onto HIS FACE... he wouldn't have done it again!

FYP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Thats unfortunate about the bad gym etiquette.

Happens in the gym I use all the time. Luckily I've a serious face so people ignore me.

Dermighty wrote: »
    Happens in the gym I use all the time. Luckily I've a serious face so people ignore me.
    Maybe that means you've a weird face and they're afraid.

Either way, it's a result :)

Mellor wrote: »
    Trotters, pork cheek, fatty pork bellies. Doesn't sell enough so it's bunged into cases as waste.
    But give it to a decent chef and it's suddenly gourmet and the best part of the pig.

Iv seen pork cheek on the menu of a very expensive restaurant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

cooked a savage pork belly roast 2 weeks ago.
    was hard to share...

bought two ham hocks today 1.50e each.
    a steal ....soak them in cols water over night, boil and 30 min roast covered with mustard and honey
    delicious.
    takes a small bit of prep but well worth it.

although that said - I was accused of lacking imagination in the food department.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90144834&postcount=5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Had fried pigs eags recently in the Duck & Waffle. Pretty tasty.

• Advertisement

Im having an angry at the gut day after yesterdays sausage and burger binge.
    I was heading down o connell street in dublin city today with a fierce hunger.
    With mcdonalds and burger king giving me the glad eye I decided to just stick it out till I got home.
    Is there anywhere along there that sells healthy grub?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

With mcdonalds and burger king giving me the glad eye I decided to just stick it out till I got home.

IIFYM brah!

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭irishbuzz

Mm, mcdonalds chicken nuggets and apple pie :p

Cafe on lower abbey street does alright stuff

Double cheeseburger wrapped in denny ham for added nitrates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

irishbuzz wrote: »

Bunsen is so much better.

Sometimes I get a breakfast roll without the baguette. Just dump it in thepolystirene and gimme a fork lads.

Double cheeseburger wrapped in denny ham for added nitrates

I got eye cancer just reading that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

That's my point. It's a staple on the menu of top restaurents. So called peasant dishes. Far superior to sausages. But the peasants don't remember how to make them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Is there anywhere I can get chalk in Dublin city center?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement