Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the Story MkII- Off topic thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Is there anywhere I can get chalk in Dublin city center?

Great outdoors near Stephens Green or D8 near Cork Street.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Is there anywhere I can get chalk in Dublin city center?

Liquid, ball, powder or block...?

...doesn't matter cos great outdoors have all of em :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

My gym has a potted plant with stones in it, so I walk up, rub the stones together in my hands and away I go :D

Great video on the setup for a squat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0982522754?pc_redir=1398839954&robot_redir=1

Few people showed an interest in practical programming for strength training heres a ljnk for the paperback third and latest edition delivered for under €20. Bargain id say.

• Advertisement

Squatted the wrong way around in the power rack today... facing into the gym instead of facing a mirror. First time squatting without a mirror. Despite a few odd looks it felt a hell of a lot better. Far easier to keep an upright neck without the impulse to constantly look down to check depth, and when you can't see yourself it's easier to concentrate on the little things. I'd recommend anyone who squats in front of a mirror to try it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

gvn wrote: »
    Squatted the wrong way around in the power rack today... facing into the gym instead of facing a mirror. First time squatting without a mirror. Despite a few odd looks it felt a hell of a lot better. Far easier to keep an upright neck without the impulse to constantly look down to check depth, and when you can't see yourself it's easier to concentrate on the little things. I'd recommend anyone who squats in front of a mirror to try it.

Stepping back to re rack a heavy squat sounds terrifying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,512 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Why are you looking down? You should be looking at your own face to ensure you aren't gurning too much, and then winking at the bottom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

Blacktie. wrote: »

Surely the hooks can be put on the other side of the rack to allow you to re-rack normally? Stepping back would be... interesting.

You know you look with your eyes right...? ;)

That's the biggest thing I see people forgetting with head position.

"look up" doesn't mean "crane your neck"!

• Advertisement

No I don't mean that! I moved the pins to the other side, so I was still stepping back but stepping back towards the mirror behind me.
    Why are you looking down? You should be looking at your own face to ensure you aren't gurning too much, and then winking at the bottom.

Hah. It was just a nasty habit I have/had. I'd always look slightly downwards into the mirror to check my hips. Today I looked towards where the wall and ceiling met across the room from me. So since my head was vertical it seemed to lead my back better and I was more upright as a result.
    Hanley wrote:
    You know you look with your eyes right...?

My eyes can move? What?! Ah no. It was just a bad habit I had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,676 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

K Starr would not like that!

I'm going for squatting (week 5) today and I'll be staring out at the gym instead of looking in the mirror!

Dermighty wrote: »
    I'm going for squatting (week 5) today and I'll be staring out at the gym instead of looking in the mirror!

You following a specific squat program by any chance? Like smolov or something?

gem got me to do that before but it's easier when someone can help you re rack, it's true not gawping at yourself in the mirror makes it easier

bluewolf wrote: »
    gem got me to do that before but it's easier when someone can help you re rack, it's true not gawping at yourself in the mirror makes it easier

This is strange I completely zone out the mirror when I'm squatting. Is this just me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

dor843088 wrote: »
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0982522754?pc_redir=1398839954&robot_redir=1

Few people showed an interest in practical programming for strength training heres a ljnk for the paperback third and latest edition delivered for under €20. Bargain id say.

What's the shipping price from the States though? There's a German shop that I've used that have it. I think I paid €9 postage the last time I got a book off them. Really good service from them as well

http://www.choiceofchampions.de/coc/de/buecher-magazine/krafttraining/practical-programming-for-strength-training1

You following a specific squat program by any chance? Like smolov or something?

It's 5x5 with weekly increases.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

bluewolf wrote: »

I find EVERY exercise easier when I'm not looking in the mirror. I was at a UKSCA S&C course before and the instructor said they have no mirrors in their gyms because when you're lifting heavy, the signals that your eyes are sending to your brain aren't quite fast enough for your body to react to. You'd be better off videoing yourself if you want to check technique.

Also, it's hard not to look at the big veins bulging out of your arms and neck when you're deadlifting in front of a mirror!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

I did this in Flyefit a few months back. Some guy who had clearly just been ronsealed came over and stood 5 feet in front of me with a kettlebell and used the mirror behind me to look at himself as he did some stupid KB bullsh1t. Didn't even move away when he was resting, frequently locked eyes with me. It was one of the most surreal experiences I've had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,309 ✭✭✭COH

Hanley wrote: »
    You know you look with your eyes right...? ;)

This x 10billion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

was checking out some shoulder mobility stuff on youtube and came across kelly starlet wearing a Munster jersey. LLeddgeeeiiinnnd!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

tumblr_n4kmw5WMlL1qdjo2ho1_400.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

colman1212 wrote: »
    was checking out some shoulder mobility stuff on youtube and came across kelly starlet wearing a Munster jersey. LLeddgeeeiiinnnd!

danawhiteMunster_zpscc4b5469.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Dathai wrote: »

Where to find a lady such as this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Dathai wrote: »

Makes for the best ever walk up to the bar for an Olympic lift in comp...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Saw someone do this last night. Actually couldn't breathe watching him.

Saw someone do this last night. Actually couldn't breathe watching him.

Big lad with no hair? Probably just Graeme. He regularly does crazy things and gets away with it!

Big lad with no hair? Probably just Graeme. He regularly does crazy things and gets away with it!

Nah, small weak guy. I had no faith in him!

Edit: Probably a bit mean to call him a small, weak guy actually. Inexperienced chap who didn't know better!

• Advertisement

Nah, small weak guy. I had no faith in him!

Edit: Probably a bit mean to call him a small, weak guy actually. Inexperienced chap who didn't know better!

If I said that there'd immediately have been a petition posted online to have me castrated.

If I said that there'd immediately have been a petition posted online to have me castrated.

I may just be a littler prettier than you, man....

IMG_20140503_143635.jpg

The majority of my saturday morning shopping.
    • 2x baby t-bone steaks
    • 8x Chicken fillets (vacuum packed)
    • 1kg brown basmati rice
    • 1kg crunchy peanut butter (100% peanuts, ntohing else)
    • 500g B&D Indonesian coffee
    • 500g Gelilen butter (with added sea salt)
    • 2x Improper butter (1x garlic/chilli/basil and 1x blue cheese)
    • 2 litres organic goats milk
    • 500g coconut oil
    • 200g Himalayan pink salt
    • Loads of vegetables (parsnips, cauliflower, salad leaves)

Nice shopping! What would you use the goats milk for? That butter sounds delicious too.

Nice shopping! What would you use the goats milk for? That butter sounds delicious too.

I use goats milk instead of cows milk, the sum total of my milk usage is porridge and sometimes tea.

The Glenilen butter is ridiculous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Are baby T-bone steaks just small versions?
    And that improper butter sounds great until you said blue cheese

• Advertisement

I don't know if it's a thing now but I've seen a couple of people hiking upthe legs of their shorts before squatting.

I really hope it's not a thing...

I don't know if it's a thing now but I've seen a couple of people hiking upthe legs of their shorts before squatting.

Speaking of squatting, I saw a young guy (about 16, I'd say) squatting in/with a calf raise machine today. It was an... interesting sight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Speaking of squatting, I saw a young guy (about 16, I'd say) squatting in/with a calf raise machine today. It was an... interesting sight.

A Smith Machine?

Deano7788 wrote: »
    A Smith Machine?

Nope. A calf raise machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Nope. A calf raise machine.

I'm struggling to figure out how they'd even go about that.

• Advertisement

With great difficulty!

I'm guessing feet fully on the platform/step with the machine set low so that there's a good bend in the knees when in position.

Saw someone the other week doing something similar though there was a nod to calf raises as well.

I'm guessing feet fully on the platform/step with the machine set low so that there's a good bend in the knees when in position.

Saw someone the other week doing something similar though there was a nod to calf raises as well.

Yep. Only this guy wasn't involving his calves at all. He was just going down to an awkward 1/4 squat and popping back up. 'twas a new one for me.

Mellor wrote: »
    Are baby T-bone steaks just small versions?
    And that improper butter sounds great until you said blue cheese

Baby t-bone = my name for a small tbone, I'd normally get a 700g tbone (about 25 ounces) but these are around 500g each.

Would 10x10x[burpees and barbell thrusters] be considered MetCon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

it is a thing. In fact it's the "in" thing for the cool kids.

it is a thing. In fact it's the "in" thing for the cool kids.

I have many pairs of shorts.

I have one pair of shorts which have pockets, they need to be hiked up before squats and deadlifts. That's just the way it is :cool:

Dermighty wrote: »
    I have many pairs of shorts.

I have one pair of shorts which have pockets, they need to be hiked up before squats and deadlifts. That's just the way it is :cool:

Maybe don't wear those if you're going to squat or deadlift.

That said, I'm talking about full-on tucking them up high. The works.

It's the new ab count.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

It's the new ab count.

Is this in Raw? Do they at least have nice quads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I've seen a lot of people wearing short shorts in the gym lately. Look like shorts they had when they were 9 or something.

It's the new ab count.

Ah yeah, no I don't do that, just pull them up as they get caught around the mid quad, doesn't happen with the bjj shorts I use but they dont have pockets and I like spotify on the phone.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement