Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the Story MkII- Off topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Zombienosh wrote: »
    I've seen a lot of people wearing short shorts in the gym lately. Look like shorts they had when they were 9 or something.

I have a pair of hawaiin shorts I used to wear to the gym a good bit. Convenience wins out every time. Don't know what happened to them actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

brohammer-610x361.jpg everyone in Australia wears these sort of shorts to the gym, or the AFL shorts which are like GAA shorts only shorter.

On a different topic. I started doing ring muscle ups recently but was often losing my grip because of sweat on the rings. So today I began using chalk and it was great, except I cut myself on the wrists using the False Grip and started bleeding and had to stop. Now I have big callouses on the wrists. Do I just have to let my skin toughen up or is there another solution?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ant11

CM24 wrote: »
    On a different topic. I started doing ring muscle ups recently but was often losing my grip because of sweat on the rings. So today I began using chalk and it was great, except I cut myself on the wrists using the False Grip and started bleeding and had to stop. Now I have big callouses on the wrists. Do I just have to let my skin toughen up or is there another solution?

Yeah the skin will toughen up over time. Most people cut themselves starting off. You definitely need chalk for false grip especially if your doing more then one rep. Chalk your wrists too. I found hanging in a false grip from the rings very beneficial. I'd also work on wrist strengthening and flexibility stuff too, very important not just for ring stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

Have you got any links for specific wrist exercises you think would be helpful? I'm doing a lot of upper body calisthenics these days cos I've fractured my foot. Would probably be a good idea to bullet-proof my wrists.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭jane82

Wrist curls and reverse wrist curls. With a preacher type positon?
    I used to tie a string to a weight and to the centre of a dumbell bar and put elbows to my sides and roll the string up with overhand then underhand positions.

Have you got any links for specific wrist exercises you think would be helpful? I'm doing a lot of upper body calisthenics these days cos I've fractured my foot. Would probably be a good idea to bullet-proof my wrists.

I've recently started doing THIS routine on my off days. It's decent I think. I add in a weighted roll up in each hand position at the end as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ant11

This is some of the stuff I do. Some other stuff is fingertip push ups, first knuckle push ups (on knees) with thumb elevated. Another is on your knees make a fist and roll your wrists back onto the ground without letting your fist open. I do most of it on my knees, there's no need to try and do it on your feet unless your advanced and want to show off.

http://youtu.be/7gfLCVNWFrM

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-hlWgH3_0NU

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

I just stuffed a roast chicken with marinated chicken breasts. Its in the oven as we speak

Chicken Inception

leonardo-dicaprio-inception-movie-meme-face.jpg

Stay tuned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Hey guys

Just started squatting in a rack (after using dumbells etc. previously) and finding the bar is hurting my shoulders/traps even though it's relatively light (though heavy for me 45kg :o:o). I have googled ad looked at videos and I think I have the bar in the right position, does it just take a while to get used to it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Hey guys

Just started squatting in a rack (after using dumbells etc. previously) and finding the bar is hurting my shoulders/traps even though it's relatively light (though heavy for me 45kg :o:o). I have googled ad looked at videos and I think I have the bar in the right position, does it just take a while to get used to it?

Used to hurt like hell, for me. I found a thick sweatshirt helped. Once I found the least most uncomfortable position on my shoulders, my wrists decided to complain - a lot :mad:.

Suck it up, it will get easier :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

You can wrap a small towel around the bar and this will help with discomfort

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Thanks guys - at least I know it's not just me :)

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

conzy wrote: »
    I just stuffed a roast chicken with marinated chicken breasts. Its in the oven as we speak

Chicken Inception

Stay tuned

aww yis

IMG_20140505_195206.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

A shortish guy beside me today rolled his shoulders around waiting for a bench.

He then jumped on and fcu*en warmed up with 120. Dunno reps but plenty.

He finished at I think 180. For triples. Impressed the shìt out of me tbh.

He's about 5'7 and foddin. Must be his wee short arms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

• Advertisement

I saw that a while ago, the benching doughnuts bit was my favourite :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭bootybouncer

Zombienosh wrote: »
    I've seen a lot of people wearing short shorts in the gym lately. Look like shorts they had when they were 9 or something.

I dont see the problem in wearing these shorts at all, I mean you have women allowed to wear their tight leggings showing every crease off on their body, and now that white girls seem to think that they would like to have a booty like a colored girl they thrive in their fat ass state and take over the squat racks too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,676 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I dont see the problem in wearing these shorts at all, I mean you have women allowed to wear their tight leggings showing every crease off on their body, and now that white girls seem to think that they would like to have a booty like a colored girl they thrive in their fat ass state and take over the squat racks too

Worst. Troll. Ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

You are very bitter man.

Some little filly break your heart?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You are very bitter man.

I'd say it was because she was squatting more than him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭Dave 101

JJayoo wrote: »
    You can wrap a small towel around the bar and this will help with discomfort

Try not to do this, build some traps instead, try a few sets of shrugs before squatting in the meantime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,512 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Dave 101 wrote: »
    Try not to do this, build some traps instead, try a few sets of shrugs before squatting in the meantime

You can't build traps overnight though, adding a buffer until you can manage the bar by itself is fine. Reduce the thickness of the towel and you'll soon not need it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Mod note: bootybouncer infracted for trolling, anymore of this and there will be a ban

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

You are very bitter man.

Worst. Troll. Ever.

Mod note: in future when trolling is this obvious can please report the post and leave it at that, no need to feed the troll.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

Is it sad that starting a new training cycle has me more excited than a 7 year old on Christmas Eve ? :p

dylbert wrote: »
    Is it sad that starting a new training cycle has me more excited than a 7 year old on Christmas Eve ? :p

Hell no. What program you doing? Think of the PB's!

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Hell no. What program you doing? Think of the PB's!

Gonna focus on just the Olympic lifts for the next 7 weeks then compete for the first time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭Dave 101

You can't build traps overnight though, adding a buffer until you can manage the bar by itself is fine. Reduce the thickness of the towel and you'll soon not need it.

That's why I said in the meantime to do shrugs before squatting, to get a bit of pump for extra padding

That's why I said in the meantime to do shrugs before squatting, to get a bit of pump for extra padding

Relying on muscle padding as a female will take a while. Just wrap the bar and get to work, its not like wrapping the bar will recruit less muscle.

Haha that's pretty clever actually.

• Advertisement

Is there anything you could get for squatting thatd fit in your doorframe akin to a pull up bar?
    Like spring loaded type deally. I dont have space for a rack or even a barbell. And with all the kids about the place I cant really get out steadily to the gym.
    It wont be long now before the one legged squats do nozing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

jane82 wrote: »
    Is there anything you could get for squatting thatd fit in your doorframe akin to a pull up bar?
    Like spring loaded type deally. I dont have space for a rack or even a barbell. And with all the kids about the place I cant really get out steadily to the gym.
    It wont be long now before the one legged squats do nozing.

Use Dumbells? I dont see any other option without a barbell? unless you use a broom and bands in some kinda crazy set up..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

That load ordering squat setup video by KStarr I posted is really effective, My squat setup feels so solid these days.

papu wrote: »
    Use Dumbells? I dont see any other option without a barbell? unless you use a broom and bands in some kinda crazy set up..

Thats not a bad idea. Bands under the feet and over the broom. I like doing it all mcGyver style. Keeps me motivated.
    Now where can I get 100 kg bands haha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

jane82 wrote: »
    I like doing it all mcGyver style. Keeps me motivated.
    I have done all sorts of things for squats. Have you tried goblet squats? these are the least awkward thing I have done, and they are nice since they sort of force you into using good form.

1001-goblet-squat-483x300.jpg

Anything else I tried can be awkward enough. I have had weights on a dip belt doing squats, AKA "belt squats" and done this with a lightish barbell pressed up onto my back.
    LouieLauraWestsideBarbellBeltSquat_th.jpg

elvis suit optional

finalplusa2.328145939_std.jpg

I have also have worn a weight vests and again use the bar for more weight. I think the max I can press up and onto my back is 60kg, but after you have done a load of squats getting it back down is the tricky bit! if I am too tired to press it back over I sit on a bed and fall back.

I have done isometrics too, I was using adjustable webbing straps to change the height. I did use bands too but didn't like them much. Another easy alternative was pressing a lightish barbell onto my back and doing lunges.

dylbert wrote: »

Ok I take it all back, that was tough, gonna be an interesting 7 weeks.

Interesting article about cental nervous system fatigue.

http://www.myosynthesis.com/cns-handle-stress

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭FullOf..IT

What would people recommend for a cheaps as possible pre workout?

Please bear in mind its a first thing in the morning workout (6am) so extra bite needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

FullOf..IT wrote: »

Please bear in mind its a first thing in the morning workout (6am) so extra bite needed.

5 caffeine tablets

• Advertisement

Double/triple strength coffee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Couple of good cremas should liven you up.

I've done the pre WO nonsense, and some do really work. But I strongly advise against taking them first thing. I've only had a few, but if you dose it wrong you can crash hard a few hours later. In your case just as you're starting your daily grind.

Not good.

I used take them AFTER my working day. If I needed a bit of zip. But stick to caffeine now.

If you really want it, and you can get it, try Craze.

2 double deckers and a cup of tea

Strong coffee and a lot of vitamin B12.

This is Shroomtech Sport, three capsules has 50,000% of your RDA of B12. I'm not saying buy this because it's not cheap, but B12 works and you could find cheaper alternatives.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Anyone wanna come be a sales person in RevFit?

...would rather be coaching!

JJayoo wrote: »
    2 double deckers and a cup of tea

An awful, awful bar.

• Advertisement

An awful, awful bar.

:eek:

bluewolf wrote: »
    :eek:

One word: nougat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

Snickers is the bar of champions. Melt a fun size one onto a baked potato. Dont knock it till you tried it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Thud

Vibram paying out for making up their claim that they strenghtened your feet...
    http://fittish.deadspin.com/vibram-fivefingers-still-stupid-now-culpable-1572955736

An awful, awful bar.

Get out

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement