Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the Story MkII- Off topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Thoroughly enjoyed that post Kev. Well played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

Yep pretty good value. Just an FYI if your ordering off strength shop use the .co.uk site. The shipping will be cheaper because it'll come from Scotland. If you order from .de site they'll be sent from Germany.

EDIT:

Just checked shipping prices.

€160 from the .de site
    £114 from the .co.uk site

Either way ouch! May be worth finding a supplier in Ireland to avoid the high shipping prices.

DylanJM wrote: »
    Yep pretty good value. Just an FYI if your ordering off strength shop use the .co.uk site. The shipping will be cheaper because it'll come from Scotland. If you order from .de site they'll be sent from Germany.

EDIT:

Just checked shipping prices.

€160 from the .de site
    £114 from the .co.uk site

Either way ouch! May be worth finding a supplier in Ireland to avoid the high shipping prices.

Christ that's saucy! Hadn't looked into the price of postage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,282 ✭✭✭COH

When I ordered a couple of grands worth of stuff from strengthshop last year they quoted me 70 quid flat fee for shipping an entire pallet irrespective of its weight or dimension

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

COH wrote: »
    When I ordered a couple of grands worth of stuff from strengthshop last year they quoted me 70 quid flat fee for shipping an entire pallet irrespective of its weight or dimension

Thinly veiled "ask me about my gear" post.

COH wrote: »

What did you get? Probably cause you ordered a **** load of stuff?

Edit- Dam you Hanley :pac:

What did you get? Probably cause you ordered a **** load of stuff?

Edit- Dam you Hanley :pac:

Too funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Anyone here used/using creatine? Do you feel it's worth the price if incorporated properly into a good lifting routine?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Creatine is awesome, somewhere here..probably hanley posted a link to studies showing benefits for things outside of strength.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

K4t wrote: »
    Anyone here used/using creatine? Do you feel it's worth the price if incorporated properly into a good lifting routine?

It's very very cheap. Can get 1kg for less than 15 euro. Just get the cheap version.

http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/creatine-monohydrate/10530050.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

icon14.png

Great post! The kool aid drinking side of me would note the following however:
    kevpants wrote: »
    They aren't the greatest athletes in the world though. They're just not, nowhere close. They're a collection of elite middle class white people I'll give them that but the Tour de France is an infinitely greater test of the human body for example.

It is of course, but then I wouldn't ask any of the boys in the Peleton to help me shift some furniture about. Just as Klokov wouldn't be my first choice if I needed someone to run five miles and back to get help.
    They are also quite poor technically, there's little skill. The technique in the O-lifts is shocking but it will be if you're asked to do 1000 of them in the time it takes me to eat a sandwich. The swimming as well, jesus some of them were bad. I think the near drownings kind of undermined the "elite" theme CF goes for with the games. Will be interesting to see if that reappears next year.

Hmm, not sure on that. While there were a few lads power cleaning and push jerky pressing out during the Clean and Jerk ladder, there was also the likes of Lucas Parker doing lightning fast and tecnically proficient full clean and split jerks of approaching 2x bodyweight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Olympians master one movement... clean/jerk, strict press... things like that... crossfit athletes master all of these. An olympian that can win gold in clean/jerk probably can't do but a couple of handstand pushups... Crossfit athletes, all around, are in way better shape than an olympian... hands down.

Can't wait for the games hype to die down.

Think I might start competing in crossfit then when i start annihilating everyone claim all my training skillz come from t-nation articles

In fairness... most of the top competitors in CF now have tekkers on most stuff locked down tight.

Most weekend warriors, do not.

And the former usually think they're the elite later. Dunning Kruger in action.

(not you Llyod, only cos I'm afraid of Will!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Hanley wrote: »
    In fairness... most of the top competitors in CF now have tekkers on most stuff locked down tight.

Most weekend warriors, do not.

And the former usually think they're the elite later. Dunning Kruger in action.

(not you Llyod, only cos I'm afraid of Will!)

Ha, Will's a pussy cat. :)

I think people down in CFI are highly aware that they aren't breaking any world records (and I know my technique is dreadful in just about everything). But it depends on people like Colm or Will noting that to you (in a nice way) and keeping you focussed on why you're down there. I can only imagine what it would be like in a USA#1 box with some idiots coaching, and I think that's where a lot of the opposition to Crossfit stems from.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Quick general question to the forum -

How often would you drink alcohol and to what limit? I only ask as I used to drink quite a bit. After work I'd have 1, 2 or 3 bottles. Then on the days off it'd be about 7/8 pints while out for the night.

Now though, I don't drink anywhere near as much. Once every 2 weeks at most but that one night can sometimes be a good few pints. On those "heavy" nights I can feel the gut bulging for a few days until I've punished myself enough to get rid of it.

How often would you drink alcohol and to what limit? I only ask as I used to drink quite a bit. After work I'd have 1, 2 or 3 bottles. Then on the days off it'd be about 7/8 pints while out for the night.

Now though, I don't drink anywhere near as much. Once every 2 weeks at most but that one night can sometimes be a good few pints. On those "heavy" nights I can feel the gut bulging for a few days until I've punished myself enough to get rid of it.

Swop to spirits is the best bet for getting drunk with out ruining your physique. www.getdrunknotfat.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Swop to spirits is the best bet for getting drunk with out ruining your physique. www.getdrunknotfat.com

My dad used to play soccer ( LOI ) and when I spoke to him of getting into shape and not wanting to drink too much beer he said the same thing. Said if you can handle it without getting smashed then spirits are the way to go. That's if you must drink.

It appears Klokov is in training for next years CF games, going to own it in the high dive

I'm assuming you mean drink it straight here yea? Christ that sounds like an awful night out :pac: :p

Maybe I'll just stick with water instead.

• Advertisement

STOLEN.

...my heart and the vid.

I'm assuming you mean drink it straight here yea? Christ that sounds like an awful night out :pac: :p

Maybe I'll just stick with water instead.

There's loads of options on the mixers front, diet mixers are a lesser evil, vodka, splash of soda and a squeeze of lime is fine, gin and tonic is my normal drink.

Got to remember its not so much the drinking that ruins everything, its the fast food at the end of the night then the day of feeling like sh1te and not eating properly that does. You should be able to have a blow out every now and then and not suffer for it in the long run. its more just the non-stop consistent drinking and partying that does it.

Here's the official announcement:

There's loads of options on the mixers front, diet mixers are a lesser evil, vodka, splash of soda and a squeeze of lime is fine, gin and tonic is my normal drink.

Got to remember its not so much the drinking that ruins everything, its the fast food at the end of the night then the day of feeling like sh1te and not eating properly that does. You should be able to have a blow out every now and then and not suffer for it in the long run. its more just the non-stop consistent drinking and partying that does it.

The fast food used to get me a lot. They have these little things called pastizzis that pastries loaded with cream cheese and have about a bazillion calories and carbs in them. Between them and pasta bakes it was a slippery slope.

Thankfully managed to cut all that crap out.

As long as once every 2 or 3 weeks I'm OK to go out and get slozzled then it's all good :D

Cheers for the link by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Diet mixers actually supposed to get your blood alcohol level higher than drinking the same spirits with water or regular mixers. So if your aim is to get a bit tipsy then spirits & diet mixers are the way to go, downside is expense.

You should also have the odd glass/pint of water to stay hydrated. I used to lash down pints and then drink pints of water in the pub and wake up fine. I never understood this mentality of drinking spirits later in the evening when you are already pissed and waiting for the alcohol to take effect. You see this last order nonsense with people guzzling down triple vodkas as its so easy to do so when drunk. It takes a good while for the alcohol to go through you and to take full effect. I suppose many people have simply never tried drinking from say 8pm to 10pm and then going on water till 12, and so think they need to keep boozing till the bitter end, and lash down loads at the very end too - just incase a wicked dose of sobriety hits them as they stagger out of the bushes after a puke.

rubadub wrote: »
    Diet mixers actually supposed to get your blood alcohol level higher than drinking the same spirits with water or regular mixers. So if your aim is to get a bit tipsy then spirits & diet mixers are the way to go, downside is expense.

You should also have the odd glass/pint of water to stay hydrated. I used to lash down pints and then drink pints of water in the pub and wake up fine. I never understood this mentality of drinking spirits later in the evening when you are already pissed and waiting for the alcohol to take effect. You see this last order nonsense with people guzzling down triple vodkas as its so easy to do so when drunk. It takes a good while for the alcohol to go through you and to take full effect. I suppose many people have simply never tried drinking from say 8pm to 10pm and then going on water till 12, and so think they need to keep boozing till the bitter end, and lash down loads at the very end too - just incase a wicked dose of sobriety hits them as they stagger out of the bushes after a puke.

I have no set aim TBH. Just want to go out with my mates and have a few drinks and not worry about growing my belly back again. I'd always stay hydrated through the night and drink some water (especially if the missus is there.. :o). Especially during summer months I could easily polish off a 2 litre bottle of water before going to bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Vet Thrower

http://getdrunknotfat.com/conversation-starters/
    Have you ever sh@t your pants?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

ok here's the thing that will I'm 90% sure fix your ankle flexibility, f*ck bands, foam rollers and all those other fads. Every time you get in the gym load the standing calf machine up with a weight you'd use for sets of 8-10 reps. Now get on it and hang out in the bottom position keeping your knees straight and using the weight to force you down. Now stay there for 2 minutes . Do that a minimum 4x per week for 4 weeks then you can thank me.
    Nice one, will give it a lash. Time frame to expect results is great as well.

Calf Machine always batters my shoulders to bits so I can expect to look battered for next few weeks.

Smith machine + aerobic step is another option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Nah, precious seconds I save not loading the smith machine are worth the mangled shoulders.

• Advertisement

Someone might be able to give me a hand here. When doing close grip bench, is set up the same as doing conventional bench press? I mean shoulder blades in arse pocket etc..? I try get my grip where my arms fall just by my side. Am I doing anything wrong here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Someone might be able to give me a hand here. When doing close grip bench, is set up the same as doing conventional bench press? I mean shoulder blades in arse pocket etc..? I try get my grip where my arms fall just by my side. Am I doing anything wrong here?

Are you doing it as a tricep exercise?

ronanc15 wrote: »
    Are you doing it as a tricep exercise?

Yes.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Smith machine + aerobic step is another option

I was about to say the same thing.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Do any/many of you skip? I started the other day and in all fairness, I'm sh1te at it, getting a little better though.

I only do it for 10 mins (30 secs on, 30 secs rest) but I'd be in bits after it, it must be a pretty good form of cardio.

Essien wrote: »
    Do any/many of you skip? I started the other day and in all fairness, I'm sh1te at it, getting a little better though.

I only do it for 10 mins (30 secs on, 30 secs rest) but I'd be in bits after it, it must be a pretty good form of cardio.

I took it up a few weeks back and couldn't manage more than 20 consecutive skips. Now I can skip till the legs give out. Can do double jumps, single leg hops, running on the spot, outside skipping and crossover. All without having to stop and set up again.

Great cardio. I try and do 3 mins on 30 sec rest x 8

I took it up a few weeks back and couldn't manage more than 20 consecutive skips. Now I can skip till the legs give out. Can do double jumps, single leg hops, running on the spot, outside skipping and crossover. All without having to stop and set up again.

Great cardio. I try and do 3 mins on 30 sec rest x 8

I hope I'm there in a few weeks!

Right now I think it's about getting the rhythm right, I'm playing around with the rope length too, I think it was way too long initially. I love it so far though, much more enjoyable than the stationary bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

http://vimeo.com/70328231

Lol at crossfit kipping!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

Anyone watch the Antoine Valliant videos on youtube?
    Quite a cool guy, doesn't take himself so seriously and puts a lot of fun back into bodybuilding. Refreshing.

• Advertisement

ferike1 wrote: »
    http://vimeo.com/70328231

Lol at crossfit kipping!

If she kept tucked she would of got full marks for the dismount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

The worst part of a strong healthy diet is the effect of anything bad for you on your guts, first fry in 8 months this morning, not good.

stuchyg wrote: »
    The worst part of a strong healthy diet is the effect of anything bad for you on your guts, first fry in 8 months this morning, not good.

Frys are a good thing, bacon, eggs, tomatoes, mushrooms.
    Sausages and bread are about the only bad stuff in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

colman1212 wrote: »

Not if it's mad greasy and oily.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

colman1212 wrote: »

Grill bacon, mushrooms and tomatoes and you're on a winner. Fry the eggs

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Yeah.. or even using coconut oil makes a big difference..

• Advertisement

What's the craic with bacon? I grill it and avoid all visible fat, is it ok? I'm not overly concerned about salt as I eat very little of it elsewhere in my diet and I drink heaps of water too. About how much protein/fat could you expect in 100g of bacon prepared as above (not that I'd eat 100g in one go)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

I've been looking at deadlifting programmes and at Coen's DL programme in particular for a while but thought my numbers were not big enough.

Just for the hell of it I decided to give it a go. Set the programme for a 20kg increase over the course.

Did it yesterday morning.

I AM SORE TODAY !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

What's the craic with bacon? I grill it and avoid all visible fat, is it ok? I'm not overly concerned about salt as I eat very little of it elsewhere in my diet and I drink heaps of water too. About how much protein/fat could you expect in 100g of bacon prepared as above (not that I'd eat 100g in one go)

I eat the fat. Saturated fat has cholesterol in it which is needed to make testosterone, afaik. Started eating bacon about two weeks ago, feels and tastes great to get piggy goodness.

Dermighty wrote: »
    I eat the fat. Saturated fat has cholesterol in it which is needed to make testosterone, afaik. Started eating bacon about two weeks ago, feels and tastes great to get piggy goodness.

Oh I just don't like the fat, never did, I get plenty of sat fats from stuff like eggs and cheese too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Oh I just don't like the fat, never did, I get plenty of sat fats from stuff like eggs and cheese too.

I see. I only like the fat if it's crispy.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement