Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the Story MkII- Off topic thread

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Bag recommendations? My own fault for being a gear whore but my current medium backpack is not able to accommodate bands, chalk, notepad, drink bottle, power perfects, many lunch tupperwares a change of clothes etc...

Ideally I'm looking for a large sports duffel bag but with proper back straps so I can wear it on a bike

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

conzy wrote: »
    Bag recommendations? My own fault for being a gear whore but my current medium backpack is not able to accommodate bands, chalk, notepad, drink bottle, power perfects, many lunch tupperwares a change of clothes etc...

Ideally I'm looking for a large sports duffel bag but with proper back straps so I can wear it on a bike

http://kingkongapparel.com/shop/king-kong-backpack/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,675 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Hanley wrote: »

Am I mistaken or is it only 20 litres capacity?

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

That would only fit my lunch :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

53 Degrees North have Columbia 'lode carrier' duffels. 50 litre is plenty. Will last years and 50 quid.

53 Degrees North have Columbia 'lode carrier' duffels. 50 litre is plenty. Will last years and 50 quid.

That's a good call. 40 litres will cover the gym stuff and a change of clothes with plenty of room for tupperware so you'd have loads of room for tupperware after that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'm currently trying to help somebody. Female, smallish frame, 5ft.
    Initially, I've started with goblet squats. But they are still having trouble getting into a stable position at the bottom. Shoulders are dropping forward, like a good morning squat fault. I've tried to cue for this by stressing to stay upright, but then they fell they'll fall backwards.

I think the different limb length is making my demos a bit useless.

Anybody have any tips for cueing shorter females?

Mellor wrote: »

Ooh Matron..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Initially, I've started with goblet squats. But they are still having trouble getting into a stable position at the bottom. Shoulders are dropping forward, like a good morning squat fault. I've tried to cue for this by stressing to stay upright, but then they fell they'll fall backwards.

Sometimes squats can be hindered by a persons lack of confidence in sitting back into it. You could try her onto a box for a few sets until she feels more comfortable. Then once she feels confident in sitting back tell her to pretend that the box isn't very strong and could break at any moment so she begins to concentrate on controlling her decent until she is just lightly touching the box before popping up. Then you can remove the box.

Also a person doesn't need to master a lift on the first day. Maybe you could concentrate on the movements she does feel confident on and then add some squat technique at the end so over a few sessions she grows in confidence on the squats while seeing the progression on the over movements ie reverse lunges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ant11

Goblet squat facing a wall works well although if it was me I'd check for mobility issues first. Start from the ground up. Can she bw squat? If not elevate her ankles and re-test. Does movement pattern change with heels elevated? Them move onto hips, see if hip flexors, psoas are tight, mobalise and re-test, same for t-spine. A generalist approach without seeing her move but most people have issues in those areas.

Put a pair of plates under her heels. If that solves it - she needs better ankles.

I'd put €50 on ankles being the issue from that description.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ant11

Put a pair of plates under her heels. If that solves it - she needs better ankles.

I'd put €50 on ankles being the issue from that description.

I'll see your 50 and bet ya 20 her left ankle is worse than her right.

Cheers for the input guys.
    I considered earlier that it might be ankles and that barefoot squats were adding to the issue - was barefoot because there was also boxing/grappling involved.
    I'll test them and go from there. Hips/glutes are pretty good though. Lotus/open hip stretches not a bother

Hips/glutes are pretty good though. Lotus/open hip stretches not a bother

Quagmire.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I considered earlier that it might be ankles and that barefoot squats were adding to the issue - was barefoot because there was also boxing/grappling involved.
    I'll test them and go from there. Hips/glutes are pretty good though. Lotus/open hip stretches not a bother

Calves could also be the issue from experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

conzy wrote: »
    Bag recommendations?
    I got a "tatonka" brand back pack in TK maxx, never heard of the brand before but looked good & strong, it has lasted 4 years of serious abuse so far carrying lots of weight, still in good nick. They had a very wide selection of bag, but maybe just 1 or 2 of each.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

Your method seems to be a little different to mine. First I give a chick unsolicited help then theres grappling then boxing. I miss that gym .

dor843088 wrote: »
    Your method seems to be a little different to mine. First I give a chick unsolicited help then theres grappling then boxing. I miss that gym .
    Completely solicited, most of the time.

While I'm in a quizzical mood.
    Do any of the endless 5 x 5 variants NOT involving squats everyday. Ideall A/B format, but Mon/Wed/Fri is good too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

Have you tried Braced Squats yet? Get her to hold a big 2.5kg plate or a 5kg plate out in front of her with arms straight.

By holding the weight out in front of her it'll force her into good positions and the weight will also counter balance her. I've found it works really well with people who haven't grasped the motor pattern of a squat. I'd always do them with newbies first before progressing to goblet squats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

dor843088 wrote: »
    Your method seems to be a little different to mine. First I give a chick unsolicited help then....

...then she smirked... "your max is my warm up"... then her mates shout over "she'd outlift youuuuu maaaate"

#strongHER

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

discus wrote: »
    ...then she smirked... "your max is my warm up"... then her mates shout over "she'd outlift youuuuu maaaate"

#strongHER
    BAHAHAHAHAHA!

That was probably the most irritating, idiotic FB post I've read lately.

gymfreak wrote: »
    BAHAHAHAHAHA!

That was probably the most irritating, idiotic FB post I've read lately.

Au contraire.

The fallout kept me entertained throughout a ridiculous 6-hour meeting :)

HANGOVER CURE

**** dioralyte, there's a new kid in town. **** prevention, this thing is a cure. I'm talking about... hyphy MUD, as in Make-You-Dangerous. Seriously, I made this for a mate yesterday and 20 minutes later he was in the gym making some dangerous vince gironda inspired gains. Gonna have to try it myself as a curer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

odiscus wrote: »
    HANGOVER CURE

**** dioralyte, there's a new kid in town. **** prevention, this thing is a cure. I'm talking about... hyphy MUD, as in Make-You-Dangerous. Seriously, I made this for a mate yesterday and 20 minutes later he was in the gym making some dangerous vince gironda inspired gains. Gonna have to try it myself as a curer.

A workmate of mine used to go to parties at pharmacists house and at the end of the night when people were leaving he used to give then sachets of that stuff

Does not compute.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

I found doing a few shots of Apple Cider Vinegar completely clears up my hangover. To be honest though, I'm not sure if it's actually a placebo effect. As in, the taste is so strong that it just makes me forget about the headache.

Could just drink a load of water before bed & on waking up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Dioralyte
    How does it work?
    Dioralyte sachets contain rehydration salts consisting of sugars and salts (glucose, sodium chloride, potassium chloride and disodium hydrogen citrate). They are used to replace body fluids lost as a result of acute diarrhoea.

If you have been drinking you probably have excess stomach acid too. So drinking sodium bicarbonate (baking/bread soda) will cause the acid to neutralise and turn into water and sodium chloride -regular table salt and an ingredient in dioralyte. So this in turn will aid rehydration.

bluewolf wrote: »
    Could just drink a load of water before bed & on waking up

doze salts tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

In the gym today & the absolute BANG of B O off some lad was chronic.

It was like the smell you get from using old boxing gloves all over the fecking gym, wherever he trudged, he brought his cloud of foul odour with him.

Dirty bastsrd should wash his gear and himself more often.

It really got up my nose, pun intended

In the gym today & the absolute BANG of B O off some lad was chronic.

It was like the smell you get from using old boxing gloves all over the fecking gym, wherever he trudged, he brought his cloud of foul odour with him.

Dirty bastsrd should wash his gear and himself more often.

It really got up my nose, pun intended

When he walks by you be like

1.gif

Deadlift drop set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Deadlift drop set.

Seen this alright. At the IDFPA I got the biggest rush of blood to the head after my PR. Was real dizzy walking off the platform.

Deadlift drop set.

Face-pull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

The laugh from the guy recording the video is pretty wtf but also lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I can almost hear his L5 popping from here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Rather than starting a new thread I thought I'd ask here...

Heart rate monitors - any advantage to a Polar FT7 over an FT4? Complete beginner, but hoping to change that over the next few months...

Did Sarah's body fat measurements tonight... used 4 different formulas to enter the numbers in 3 sites, right up to 12 sites.

Variance from highest to lowest? 8%.

What does that tell you?? Bodyfat % calculators 'effin suck.

Once you're measuring consistently, and using the same formula, and the numbers are trending down - you're on the right track :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Thud

Did Sarah's body fat measurements tonight...

You sure know how to romance your lady :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Thud wrote: »

He was ploughing her while he took the measurements.

Thud wrote: »

You ever have a girl getting too big for her boots, quickest way to pull her back down is to do her body fats.

...and add an additional 5-7% to what the ACTUAL reading is.

pua tips from hanley

bluewolf wrote: »
    pua tips from hanley

It's the ultimate neg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

It's the ultimate neg.

Alpha as fcuk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

IT band seems to have exploded overnight. Anyone any suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

IT band seems to have exploded overnight. Anyone any suggestions?
    Foam Roll all your leg muscles & do the stretches in this video

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭DL Saint

Looking to upgrade from my standard velcro belt to a good leather powerlifting one with far more support for Squats and Deadlifts. Willing to spend between €40-60 for a good one. Anyone have any suggestions of where I would get the best quality for that price range?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement