Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the Story MkII- Off topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Can't beat a bit of bacon :), I also like to add in some turkey rasher to my breakfast :).

Seen this posted on a facebook page called bodybuilding recipes, pretty sure chocolate is a bad thing.

Thinking maybe if you made it with dark chocolate and added some chocolate whey protein it wouldn't be to bad? Maybe even do it strawberries for some variety.

1012613_224979170959450_262241097_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭DL Saint

Anyone had any issues ordering off myprotein recently? I put in an order, it took it, processed it okay and then got an email off them an hour later saying there was a problem charging my card. I then checked all the info, tried again and it still came up with an error. I then tried a different card, it processed it grand and then I got the same email an hour later saying there was a problem charging it. I'll try and ring them tomorrow but just wondering has this kind of thing happened to anyone else? I don't want to have been charged twice for their error...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

What do people do when they hit a bit of a flat line?? I've been stuck on the same weight for my bench press and just can't get passed it.. Was doing really well, adding weight each week but now I just can't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

What do people do when they hit a bit of a flat line?? I've been stuck on the same weight for my bench press and just can't get passed it.. Was doing really well, adding weight each week but now I just can't.

Deload. Go back to work sets at ~85% of the sticking point and work back up. Micro load your jumps between work sets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

What rep range were you following?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

JJayoo wrote: »
    What rep range were you following?

I do 5 x 5. First one is a warm up with an empty bar then I get into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Oisinjm

DL Saint wrote: »
    Anyone had any issues ordering off myprotein recently? I put in an order, it took it, processed it okay and then got an email off them an hour later saying there was a problem charging my card. I then checked all the info, tried again and it still came up with an error. I then tried a different card, it processed it grand and then I got the same email an hour later saying there was a problem charging it. I'll try and ring them tomorrow but just wondering has this kind of thing happened to anyone else? I don't want to have been charged twice for their error...

Do you know if they use Realex? Been having problems myself with some banks, pain in the hole.

Oisín

I do 5 x 5. First one is a warm up with an empty bar then I get into it.

Anytime I hit a wall with 5 x 5 I will switch up the rep range for a month or so. Sometimes it's a mental/confidence issue once you get under the bar, so if for example I was stuck on 70kg 5x5 I will start doing 3x 5 for a few sessions. If I know I can get 70 x 5 reps x 5 sets well then I know I can lift heavier than that for 3 reps.

Then when I return to the 5x5 I know what it feels like to be under the bar with a heavier weight.

On a slightly different note my bench feels 100x better since I have brought up my rear delts. Feels like I am glued to the bench. Feels like my ability to get into the best possible position to push the weight has shot up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

1012613_224979170959450_262241097_n.jpg

just made cake of this. waiting for a bit of qt in the house before i start

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

just made cake of this. waiting for a bit of qt in the house before i start

Jesus. You may as well just get into the bath right now because that ISN'T gonna be pretty on the way out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

Hanley wrote: »
    Jesus. You may as well just get into the bath right now because that ISN'T gonna be pretty on the way out.

LOL- it's only a side plate not a dinner plate.

had 2 slices , was delicious now back in the fridge , quite heavy so unless you on a mission to complete it 1 to 2 slices are enough.

LOL- it's only a side plate not a dinner plate.

had 2 slices , was delicious now back in the fridge , quite heavy so unless you on a mission to complete it 1 to 2 slices are enough.

Randomly enough, I actually made some this morning too. VERY sweet and only so many you can consume.

Trying to think how they'd work with strawberry instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Randomly enough, I actually made some this morning too. VERY sweet and only so many you can consume.

Trying to think how they'd work with strawberry instead.

Sweet but tasty :).

Been thinking the same myself if you feel like being the test dummy and reporting back let us know how ya get on with it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I made those banana/PB bites yesterday. Forgot about step 3. Would have made the whole process much, much easier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Anyone have any suggestions where I can improve my bulking diet? 24 year old male at ~84kg getting to the gym 3 times a week looking to improve strength and size. Looking to get to about 90kg.

Breakfast-
    2 scrambled eggs with with some herbs and some kind of precooked meat like a few slices of ham or a small chicken breast cut up.
    Pint of milk

Work snacks-
    Apple
    Banana
    Nature valley bar
    Protein shake with scoop of creatine

Tea-
    This can be a few things. It's usually a stir fry with one or two chicken breasts. The stir fry mix would be one of them packs you buy in Tesco and I might throw on some extra brocolli if I have some and I have it with whatever stir fry sauce I can find.

Lunch/Dinner
    This is 2 meals but I'd have the same kind of meals for each one. Just not in the same day. Dinner would usually be a bit bigger than lunch aswel and I'd have a pint of milk with dinner.
    -Home made cashew chicken curry with sweet potatoes. 2 120g (raw) chicken breasts with garlic, ginger, onion and some herbs and spices
    - Home made Chilli. 200g mince with 1/3 can of red kidney beans and 1/3 can of butter beans, some chillies, garlic and spices
    - 2 chicken breasts with some marinade and ~150g broccoli and some sweet potato chips
    - Fajita kit with cheese, onion, bell pepper and sometimes jalapeños. If I'm having this for lunch I won't have the wraps but at home for dinner I'd have wraps and sour cream with it. This would probably be the most common one as cooking/preping is quick and easy and it's tasty.

After work snack (preworkout snack)
    - 3 egg omelette with cheese and some kind of sliced meat.

Then I usually have my dinner from above after the gym.

I'm thinking of bringing in a peanut butter shake as well to up the calorie intake again as it was working pretty well when I started. Just had to take it off originally for a few weeks but it looks alright to bring back now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Anyone have any suggestions where I can improve my bulking diet? 24 year old male at ~84kg getting to the gym 3 times a week looking to improve strength and size. Looking to get to about 90kg.

I will help you but do me a favour, bang that shopping list of stuff into fitday.com or myfitnesspal and tell me what's the total calories and the grams of protein/fat/carbs/fiber

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

Breakfast-
    2 scrambled eggs with with some herbs and some kind of precooked meat like a few slices of ham or a small chicken breast cut up.
    Pint of milk

Work snacks-
    Apple
    Banana
    Nature valley bar

Tea-
    This can be a few things. It's usually a stir fry with one or two chicken breasts. The stir fry mix would be one of them packs you buy in Tesco and I might throw on some extra brocolli if I have some and I have it with whatever stir fry sauce I can find.

Lunch/Dinner
    This is 2 meals but I'd have the same kind of meals for each one. Just not in the same day. Dinner would usually be a bit bigger than lunch aswel and I'd have a pint of milk with dinner.
    -Home made cashew chicken curry with sweet potatoes. 2 120g (raw) chicken breasts with garlic, ginger, onion and some herbs and spices
    - Home made Chilli. 200g mince with 1/3 can of red kidney beans and 1/3 can of butter beans, some chillies, garlic and spices
    - 2 chicken breasts with some marinade and ~150g broccoli and some sweet potato chips
    - Fajita kit with cheese, onion, bell pepper and sometimes jalapeños. If I'm having this for lunch I won't have the wraps but at home for dinner I'd have wraps and sour cream with it. This would probably be the most common one as cooking/preping is quick and easy and it's tasty.

I'm thinking of bringing in a peanut butter shake as well to up the calorie intake again as it was working pretty well when I started. Just had to take it off originally for a few weeks but it looks alright to bring back now.

I have found this
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67325308
    and this
    http://www.dominicmunnelly.ie/2013/06/ultimate-enery-bars/

A very easy way of getting a few extra calories into me. You can make the bars as big as you want. For the first one I have experimented with some of the ingredients and it works out really well. You can increse the protein or carbs or nuts etc depending on what mix of macros you need.

The second bar is just really calorie dense. (Theres alot of fats in it)
    I find having 1 each of those bars a day is good for an extra 7 or 8 hundred calories.
    Its a bit of effort to make them but worth it.

I will help you but do me a favour, bang that shopping list of stuff into fitday.com or myfitnesspal and tell me what's the total calories and the grams of protein/fat/carbs/fiber

Grand I'll get back to you at lunchtime with this. Thanks.

• Advertisement

Breakfast-
    Pint of milk

Work snacks-
    Apple
    Banana
    Nature valley bar

Tea-

Lunch/Dinner

So I just entered a typical day into myfitnesspal and it's coming out as 3,129 calories 226c/126f/285p/22fibre and 109 of sugar.

I'm pretty surprised about the fibre considering everyhitng is going fine and frequent! Also sugar count is pretty high but is that avoidable with the amount I'm eating?

Protein seems pretty high. What's a chicken breast/100g? Figure I've been using on MFP is 165 calories with 31g protein. Some people say its 20g/100g and some say 30g/100g.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

I made those banana/PB bites yesterday. Forgot about step 3. Would have made the whole process much, much easier
    just made them myself, barely waited for them to solidify and ate all six pieces in two servings :) I was hungry today.

So I just entered a typical day into myfitnesspal and it's coming out as 3,129 calories 226c/126f/285p/22fibre and 109 of sugar.

I'm pretty surprised about the fibre considering everyhitng is going fine and frequent! Also sugar count is pretty high but is that avoidable with the amount I'm eating?

Protein seems pretty high. What's a chicken breast/100g? Figure I've been using on MFP is 165 calories with 31g protein. Some people say its 20g/100g and some say 30g/100g.

How long have you been on this diet? It's important to be patient when bulking/cutting, no point in horsing more and more calories in as it will just end up in additional fat. 3129 calories should be enough to add some mass unless you are very active throughout the day. Plus as bulks go it's pretty healthy with lots of fruit/veg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Do people bend their legs when doing good morning?

I have been but I note there isn't a universal approach. I don't feel the GMs much in my hamstrings although they do appear to give me DOMS there.

JJayoo wrote: »
    How long have you been on this diet? It's important to be patient when bulking/cutting, no point in horsing more and more calories in as it will just end up in additional fat. 3129 calories should be enough to add some mass unless you are very active throughout the day. Plus as bulks go it's pretty healthy with lots of fruit/veg.

About 2 months. I fluctuate between 83 and 85. I weigh myself first thing in the morning every few days. I started on 82ish and made some nice gains so far on the diet. I'm getting some good remarks on the difference. Was more just wondering if there's anything I should cut out or add in or replace. It is a bit more than I thought as well. It's been a while since I've tracked my intake

I have been but I note there isn't a universal approach. I don't feel the GMs much in my hamstrings although they do appear to give me DOMS there.

I've been doing them a few weeks. I use my hips to move back and keep the knees fairly rigid. I feel it a lot in my hamstrings and get DOMS from it for the next 2 days. It feels like it's streching the hamstrings when I'm doing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

cooked and uncooked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Sangre wrote: »

I try not to bend my legs and I defo feel them in my hamstrings.

I did them on Sunday and I'm still in a heap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

I would do them with knees unlocked slightly, so not quite bent legs but not completely straight legged either. Similar to how an RDL would be performed but obviously with the bar on your back instead of in your hands.

Fixed flexed leg position.

Small bend in the knee that doesn't really change as you push your arse back.

Legs locked dead straight's a terrible idea.

Most meats raw are ~20% protein, ~30% when cooked. I'd want a mix of days during the week. Try taking cals up to ~4000 on training days and down to 2800 on non training days.

Seems ok in general. Food quality could be a bit better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

DylanJM wrote: »
    I would do them with knees unlocked slightly, so not quite bent legs but not completely straight legged either. Similar to how an RDL would be performed but obviously with the bar on your back instead of in your hands.
    Fixed flexed leg position.

Small bend in the knee that doesn't really change as you push your arse back.

Legs locked dead straight's a terrible idea.

Thanks guys, this is the approach I've been taking. Will focus on keeping knee flex constant.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

So I noticed my right leg is a lot stronger and slightly bigger than the left. I follow a 5x5 style program and squat every session (3 times a week)

I was obviously sub consciously using my right side more especially towards the end of a set.

What is the best way to correct this? I dropped the weight considerably and increased reps last week and made a conscious effort to feel every rep in the left leg and concentrate on using it more.

I am approaching 1.5x BW squats and I feel its the weak left side thats holding me back. Do I power on and it will eventually even out? Or do I drop the weight back and progress again and try focus on my left side?

Most meats raw are ~20% protein, ~30% when cooked. I'd want a mix of days during the week. Try taking cals up to ~4000 on training days and down to 2800 on non training days.

Seems ok in general. Food quality could be a bit better.

Will try this thanks. Is it just the milk and sauces you're referring to about improving food quality or more varied diet in general?

Yeah I'd swop the milk fro either, coconut milk or heavy cream if you're taking it for the cals or water if you just want to drink it.

The sliced meats are ok is they're nitrate free.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

What happened to this being an off-topic thread?

There's a fierce amount of stuff in the thread that's very on topic yet there's zero pictures of cats and very few amusing videos.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    4139758+_354e3878d57031fe1cf04efb569f5673.jpg

Better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

What happened to this being an off-topic thread?

There's a fierce amount of stuff in the thread that's very on topic yet there's zero pictures of cats and very few amusing videos.

How about a cat doing pullup / leg raises

brownej wrote: »
    How about a cat doing pullup / leg raises

Brilliant.

they/them/theirs

Better?

I'm getting nothing here.

they/them/theirs

Hmmm m'k let's just turn this into a Zyzz worship thread: He did die for your gainzz

If we're going to have a tribute thread:

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

http://dublin.craigslist.org/lab/3954533909.html

I should post similiar ads but then try sell them training when they respond

http://dublin.craigslist.org/lab/3954533909.html

I should post similiar ads but then try sell them training when they respond

Make sure you get one of these so:

http://dublin.craigslist.org/sgd/3942521898.html

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

What do people eat flax seed with? I'd like to add a bit more to my diet for the fiber and good fats. I already have it with porridge most mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

I have it with cereal. My wife puts it on her yogurt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I'm missing the gym fierce. I left my old gym early last week. I'm looking into some new ones.
    I've been doing as much as I can at home also I live near a park which has bars so it's all good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Essien wrote: »
    What do people eat flax seed with? I'd like to add a bit more to my diet for the fiber and good fats. I already have it with porridge most mornings.

Mix some up with cottage cheese and a scoop of whey for a snack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Zombienosh wrote: »
    I'm missing the gym fierce. I left my old gym early last week. I'm looking into some new ones.
    I've been doing as much as I can at home also I live near a park which has bars so it's all good.

are you wanting recommendations? where are you based
    Capital strength and fitness on south circular in Dublin looks good, oly lifting gym if youre into that sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

Zombienosh wrote: »

Me too! I went over on my ankle last weekend, itching to get back to the gym!!

I suppose we can call this my "break" week.... Yes that's it....

Fancied a snack, saw canteen is now selling "protein" bars, eat "protein" bar without much thought, tastes vaguely like socks, check nutritional info:

http://www.pulsin.co.uk/discs/maple-peanut-protein/maple-and-peanut-protein-12-case.html

18.2g of carbs. 12g of protein. FFS, in what world is that a protein bar.

I realise this is an absolute rookie mistake, but in the name of jaysus how can they call that a protein bar?

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

Fancied a snack, saw canteen is now selling "protein" bars, eat "protein" bar without much thought, tastes vaguely like socks, check nutritional info:

http://www.pulsin.co.uk/discs/maple-peanut-protein/maple-and-peanut-protein-12-case.html

18.2g of carbs. 12g of protein. FFS, in what world is that a protein bar.

I realise this is an absolute rookie mistake, but in the name of jaysus how can they call that a protein bar?

Compared to a mars bar?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement