Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the Story MkII- Off topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

Just wondering if anyone can give their thoughts on THIS article. It's written by Stan Efferding. I don't know much about him but he's some record holding powerlifter who also competes as a bodybuilder. Is this good advice for a regular Joe who just wants to get bigger?

Cliffs

- All you need to do is lift 3 days a week, Push/Pull/Legs.

- 1 or 2 sets of 5-10 reps on the big compound exercises.

- Intensity is the only thing that matters, not volume.

- Light days or Speed work is a waste of time.

- All plateaus can be overcome by just eating/sleeping more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

CM24 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone can give their thoughts on THIS article. It's written by Stan Efferding. I don't know much about him but he's some record holding powerlifter who also competes as a bodybuilder. Is this good advice for a regular Joe who just wants to get bigger?

Cliffs

- All you need to do is lift 3 days a week, Push/Pull/Legs.

- Light days or Speed work is a waste of time.

- All plateaus can be overcome by just eating/sleeping more.

1) agree
    2) disagree
    3) disagree, strongly
    4) agree
    5) agree

I think when you're REALLY strong, intensity and low volume works, but not as a beginner/intermediate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭Wood

CM24 wrote: »

It's not 1 or 2 sets, it's one or two working sets after 3-4 warm-up sets, you don't just do one set and go home.

Again, the intensity matters on your last two sets, but so does form, as does form on the previous 4 sets.

It's based on Dorian Yates' and Mike Mentzer's HIT style. It works, it's fun and it'll make you bigger and stronger. If combined with enough rest and food.

I trained that way for quite some time and got exceptional results, but i was training 5 days a week, eating properly, recovering properly. By all means try it, but it's not a quick fix. You will need to eat a shed load of food to get bigger, and chances are you will gain some fat. So, go buy more food and read up a bit more about Mike Mentzer and Dorian Yates.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

1) Go to Lidl buy the €12.99 doughnut maker

2) Blend the following: 1 egg, 80g egg white, 40g oats, 30g vanilla whey 10g coconut flour, 1 apple, cinnamon, sweetener

3) Profit:

qzdw8_thumb.jpg

Apple Cinnamon doughnuts
    537 cals
    44g protein.
    57g carbs
    16g fat

omg

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dartstothesea

bluewolf wrote: »
    omg
    Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

conzy wrote: »
    1) Go to Lidl buy the €12.99 doughnut maker

2) Blend the following: 1 egg, 80g egg white, 40g oats, 30g vanilla whey 10g coconut flour, 1 apple, cinnamon, sweetener

3) Profit:

qzdw8_thumb.jpg

Apple Cinnamon doughnuts
    537 cals
    44g protein.
    57g carbs
    16g fat

Someone give this man a medal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

You could add some quark to the mix to up the protein content. Excellent stuff for cooking as it adds moisture to the mix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Just had an odd session.when deadlifting last week the top set was hard as hell. Today my legs were knackered, even climbing stairs was tiring, in the gym tonight I add 5 kg to that last set and pull it for the same reps easier than last week. Funny how it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭/V\etalfish

Out of the lurking shadows for a quick question...
    I think I've done damage to my ankle. Sore and it feels like a bone is outside of my ankle/shin.
    Doc or physio as first port of call?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Doc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭scrumqueen

Just saw that Tesco are selling KTC Coconut Oil (500 ml) for €1.99 :eek:

I normally buy the extra virgin cocowel stuff which is closer to 6 or 7 euro so Im wondering whats the deal with this stuff??? skeptical cat is skeptical :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

This came up before - check out this post/thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86806600&postcount=30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

scrumqueen wrote: »
    Just saw that Tesco are selling KTC Coconut
    Its in my tesco too, it was in a big basket at the end of an aisle one day. Now its in with the asian type sauces. It was a really big shelf area so they must be expecting to shift a lot.

I have used KTC for years with no problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

rubadub wrote: »
    Its in my tesco too, it was in a big basket at the end of an aisle one day. Now its in with the asian type sauces. It was a really big shelf area so they must be expecting to shift a lot.

I have used KTC for years with no problems.

Good to hear. My jaw dropped when I saw the price of another coconut oil in my local tesco 6.99 I think it was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Caliden wrote: »
    Good to hear. My jaw dropped when I saw the price of another coconut oil in my local tesco 6.99 I think it was
    Don't go into a health food shop so!

some holland & barrett prices

Pure Coconut Oil
    453g Oil
    Now: €18.99
    More information Pure Coconut OilBuy Pure Coconut Oil
    Product image showing Organic Coconut Butter

Organic Coconut Butter
    250ml Jar
    Now: €10.65
    More information Organic Coconut ButterBuy Organic Coconut Butter
    Product image showing Coconut Oil

Coconut Oil
    207ml Tub
    Now: €8.25

More information Coconut Oil
    Product image showing Extra Virgin Coconut OilCustomer Favourite
    Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
    500ml Jar
    Now: €22.29

You will see sites selling only virgin coconut oil scaremongering with all sorts of claims. I don't think I have come across a site not selling virgin oil which gave similar grave warnings about using non-virgin. In fact one guy was recommending the regular type oil as it was cheaper and had less taste so was more versatile.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

The litre jar of Cocowel in Dunnes was about €12. I found it hard part with the cash but I have used less than 10% of it in about I a month I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

conzy wrote: »
    The litre jar of Cocowel in Dunnes was about €12. I found it hard part with the cash but I have used less than 10% of it in about I a month I'd say.

Start spooning it into your coffee and it'll go pretty quick!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

papu wrote: »
    Start spooning it into your coffee and it'll go pretty quick!

People drinking saturated fat.

Mind = blown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Couldn't see myself doing a depth jump 15 seconds or so before a max squat but interesting nonetheless:

http://www.strengthandconditioningresearch.com/2013/09/26/depth-jump-squat/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

Is there any paticular reason I suffer DOMS more in some parts of my body than others?

My legs and triceps always kill me but chest and biceps I barely encounter any soreness.

Am I unknowingly working some areas harder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

link_2007 wrote: »
    Is there any paticular reason I suffer DOMS more in some parts of my body than others?

My legs and triceps always kill me but chest and biceps I barely encounter any soreness.

You might be unknowingly working some areas with more frequency.

link_2007 wrote: »

Possibly just not doing a good job of recruiting the muscles in those areas.

Legs you can really hammer, so easy to get DOMS.

CHest/Bis - easy for other muscle to take over.

Ive only encountered chest doms since doing to-the-neck bench press!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

discus wrote: »

This sounds like it should be called the guillotine. Then do a set of skull crushers and feel like a bad ass!

• Advertisement

Its awesome, ive made massive chest gains since i started doing it

Lies... i never make gainz :(

Horrendous risk to reward ratio for this movement imo I mean how much weight cqn you honestly use without dying or making mince meat of your shoulder ?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dartstothesea

dor843088 wrote: »
    Horrendous risk to reward ratio for this movement imo I mean how much weight cqn you honestly use without dying or making mince meat of your shoulder ?
    You can use whatever you can use, then you get stronger and use a slightly bigger 'whatever you can use'. the point of any lift is to exert muscles, usually without making mince meat of bits of you.

"Can't safely use a big amount of weight right from the start, oh better not train that lift"

You can use whatever you can use, then you get stronger and use a slightly bigger 'whatever you can use'. the point of any lift is to exert muscles, usually without making mince meat of bits of you.

"Can't safely use a big amount of weight right from the start, oh better not train that lift"

Bench press > neck press . Incline bench > neck press . Decline bench > neck press .
    OHP > neck press . Dips > neck press , and thats before I mention dumbells. Neck press is a rediculous movement that carrys huge risk to your neck and shoulders and has no reward greater than the above exercises. And to be honest if I saw someone doing it in the gym I would facepalm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I have done, and liked, guillotine bench on a smith machine. If you have good shoulder mobility then it isn't a problem, but I would only ever use it with light weight at the end of a push day and I would never advise anyone else to do it as it is risky and people in general are stupid and a lot of people have sh1t shoulders.

If you want to do this movement then try it with dumbbells, you can get the same range of motion and can feeck your shoulders up without the risk of getting beheaded by the barbell

• Advertisement

Wide grip tempo incline smith bench, thinking of pulling the hands together is a KILLER chest movement

Anyone know of a good weighted pull-up progression? I was thinking of the following, for example:

+20kg 3x5
    +22.5kg 4x4
    +25kg 5x3
    +27.5kg 6x2

then repeat, but using the 4x4 weight for 3x5, so:

22.5kg 3x5
    25kg 4x4
    27.5kg 5x3
    30kg 6x2

and so on.

Not sure how effective it would be, though, or whether it would stall after a round or two. That's doing pull-ups 2-3 times weekly.

gvn wrote: »
    Anyone know of a good weighted pull-up progression? I was thinking of the following, for example:

+20kg 3x5
    +22.5kg 4x4
    +25kg 5x3
    +27.5kg 6x2

then repeat, but using the 4x4 weight for 3x5, so:

22.5kg 3x5
    25kg 4x4
    27.5kg 5x3
    30kg 6x2

and so on.

Not sure how effective it would be, though, or whether it would stall after a round or two. That's doing pull-ups 2-3 times weekly.

I'd test my max pull up weighted and then do linear progression. You'd have a few weeks out of that.

I'd test my max pull up weighted and then do linear progression. You'd have a few weeks out of that.

How would that work? I've literally no idea how to programme for that! Max weighted pull-up is +37.5kg, I'd say. Any tips/links would be appreciated...

I have the linear progression at home on my laptop I'll PM you it at some point but in sure Hanley knows it off the top of his head and has posted here dozens of times.

Just take your max weighted and use the percentages for each time/week to programme. It's straight forward really!

Bench press > neck press . Incline bench > neck press . Decline bench > neck press .
    OHP > neck press . Dips > neck press , and thats before I mention dumbells. Neck press is a rediculous movement that carrys huge risk to your neck and shoulders and has no reward greater than the above exercises. And to be honest if I saw someone doing it in the gym I would facepalm.

Huge risk... if you're using false grip... who in their right mind would?!

I can crack out 8x8, 30s rest, with 50kg at the minute. I can also upright row to my hearts content. I just have shoulders that don't suffer from impingements, for some reason.

Neck press is far superior, for certain people. And its moved my regular bench press far above my 85kg max. For someone with narrow shoulders, Id go neck press before suggesting dips. The reward should be obvious, look at the movement from above.

And facepalm away. Is that supinated or pronated? I'd hate to upset you!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

local supermarket started selling quest bars at 1.99 each.

bought choc peanut butter one for watching the tv tonight.
    underwhelmed.

I know they've decent macros but taste wise....bah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

underwhelmed.

Which shop if you don't mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

underwhelmed.

I started making my own using vitafiber. Video on youtube for the cookies & cream version:

Taste is much nicer than the quest bars and they work out way cheaper. Musclefood are the only ones that sell vitafiber over here as far as I know, otherwise you have to order it from Canada. Musclefood don't deliver to Ireland either so I used parcel motel.

Macros per bar (using bulkpowders vanilla whey):
    - Cal: 162
    - Fat: 3.4g
    - Sat fat: 1.6g
    - Carbs: 30g
    - Fiber: 19.5g
    - Sugar: 6.9g
    - Protein: 12.1g

Macros could be cleaned up a lot more using dark chocolate pieces instead of the oreo cookies or one of the other recipes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

JCs in Swords have started selling them :):) Nom!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

Which shop if you don't mind me asking?

as gymfreak said - JCs sell them 1.99 each

I can crack out 8x8, 30s rest, with 50kg at the minute. I can also upright row to my hearts content. I just have shoulders that don't suffer from impingements, for some reason.

Neck press is far superior, for certain people. And its moved my regular bench press far above my 85kg max. For someone with narrow shoulders, Id go neck press before suggesting dips. The reward should be obvious, look at the movement from above.

Has an 85kg bench press and gives recommendations on pressing.
    giveup.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I'm gonna try some wall climbing. anyone here do or done this in dublin?

Has an 85kg bench press and gives recommendations on pressing.

I gave no recommendation other than justifying my own reason for doing it. Sound lad, you. Also, I quarter squat and call people on their depth.

I gave no recommendation other than justifying my own reason for doing it. Sound lad, you. Also, I quarter squat and call people on their depth.

Makes several unprovoked smart remarks then calls people sound. :confused: As far as I am concerned your pressing strength is that of someone who is untrained and I shall treat your opinion on the matter accordingly. My apologies for incorrectly stating you were giving recommendations that would be silly , you gave your justification which is equally silly. You can be smart and neck press all you like but no one ever got strong or got a massive chest from neck pressing and thats a fact. You are wasting your time on a bull**** exercise but like so many others on this forum you dont listen or only hear what you want so I will agree with what you said " neck press is far superior " and leave it at that because im not at all interested in the for or against of the fcuking neck press.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Wow.... Really no need to be a dick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,675 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

What ever about the ins and outs of the exercise in question, there's no need for the condescension about someone's pressing.

Wow.... Really no need to be a dick.
    What ever about the ins and outs of the exercise in question, there's no need for the condescension about someone's pressing.

If you look back over the posts you should realise discus was being a smartarse and I was merely pointing out the irony of his argument/ justification.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,675 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

If you look back over the posts you should realise discus was being a smartarse and I was merely pointing out the irony of his argument/ justification.

Nothing overly smart or personal and not even close to warranting your reply.

But the guillotine just makes me think of Marie Antoinette's "let them eat cake" and there's a bakery very close by...

• Advertisement

Nothing overly smart or personal and not even close to warranting your reply.

But the guillotine just makes me think of Marie Antoinette's "let them eat cake" and there's a bakery very close by...

I gave him good advice that would probably have prevented him from being injured , maybe seriously which he basically scoffed at with smart remarks so in the end I told it exactly as it is . If advising someone not to do a ridiculously unjustifiable exercise in a straight up manner and with the best intentions makes me a dick or justifies being scoffed at or be the subject of smart remarks then this forum is more of a popularity contest than a place for information.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement