Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the Story MkII- Off topic thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Mellor wrote: »
    Are you trying to do freestanding in the middke of the room, or beside the wall with out head touching but feet touching.

Beside a wall but with my feet touching the wall lightly (I was moving them away in the beginning) and my head away (since I figure there is little point moving my feet away much as my head is still relying on the wall). My problem is trying to kick my feet up without stabilising my head against the wall. In the last fees day, one I had kicked my feet up with my head against the wall I moved it away because I figured my arms are not strong enough and maybe I am not confident enough to kick my legs up with my body completely away from the wall to kick up. I am afraid that my arms cannot support my head alone for the kick up, and that I will bang it off the ground.

If I can do the kick up without my head needing to be against the wall, then I could progress to moving my feet away. I have tried to do free handstand but I get nervous without my head having a wall for support and therefore my legs do not kick up high enough.

I have done the wall walks as well (facing away and walking the legs up the walk) in the beginning as I had seen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 69 ✭✭Edsonbarboza

Im loving this good weather,peak times in the gym and its almost empty in my gym anyways seems as people rather the good weather over gains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Beside a wall but with my feet touching the wall lightly (I was moving them away in the beginning) and my head away (since I figure there is little point moving my feet away much as my head is still relying on the wall). My problem is trying to kick my feet up without stabilising my head against the wall. In the last fees day, one I had kicked my feet up with my head against the wall I moved it away because I figured my arms are not strong enough and maybe I am not confident enough to kick my legs up with my body completely away from the wall to kick up. I am afraid that my arms cannot support my head alone for the kick up, and that I will bang it off the ground.

If I can do the kick up without my head needing to be against the wall, then I could progress to moving my feet away. I have tried to do free handstand but I get nervous without my head having a wall for support and therefore my legs do not kick up high enough.

I have done the wall walks as well (facing away and walking the legs up the walk) in the beginning as I had seen.

My suggestion was going to be put your hands on the ground and walk your feet up so you are facing the wall. Sounds like you already have.
    When your head is touching the walk it isn't really supporting you, it's simply stabilising you. The load is still taken by your hands and arms. So you are strong enough to hold yourself without the wall, you just need to be stable. That's where the feet come in. With your body rigid and your feet touching the wall you'll be quite stable. Like a plank lying against the wall. Brace your core as you kick up, focus on keeping a straight line from hands to feet.

Once you can hold for 2 mins, you can move on the the next variation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Mellor wrote: »
    My suggestion was going to be put your hands on the ground and walk your feet up so you are facing the wall. Sounds like you already have.
    When your head is touching the walk it isn't really supporting you, it's simply stabilising you. The load is still taken by your hands and arms. So you are strong enough to hold yourself without the wall, you just need to be stable. That's where the feet come in. With your body rigid and your feet touching the wall you'll be quite stable. Like a plank lying against the wall. Brace your core as you kick up, focus on keeping a straight line from hands to feet.

Once you can hold for 2 mins, you can move on the the next variation
    Thank you for the advice! :) I'll keep at it!

Im loving this good weather,peak times in the gym and its almost empty in my gym anyways seems as people rather the good weather over gains.
    Mine's only a bit quieter. Some other girls are taking over the free weights section in the mornings too. It's pretty cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

rubadub wrote: »
    There was a recent thread about people being refused entry to a gym as they forgot their membership card.

Just read this in the cycling forum that reminded me of it.

Reminiscent of the G4S/Olympics scandal, they had to bring the army in to guard a few places, such were the idiots they were employing... Although, they neglected to fire the civilian guards. So while I stood on a post for 6 hours at a time, the civilian guards were sitting on chairs, vacant, gormless expressions on their faces for hours on end, whilst I checked the vehicles/passes etc. :rolleyes:

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

You can get 250g of creapure creatine for €1 on myprotein today with the code CREAEURO.

I needed some anyway so a 250g bag for a euro + a 500g bag for €15 (to get the minimum spend) means you get 750g for €16.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Crossfit haters should enjoy this:

The great Rich Froning reduced to rubble; numerous female athletes > swathes of the male athletes; comedic carnage at the end of the 5k run

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

and fair play to them - the gym will be there next week.
    the decent weather, perhaps not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Crossfit haters should enjoy this:

The great Rich Froning reduced to rubble; numerous female athletes > swathes of the male athletes; comedic carnage at the end of the 5k run

Anyone else think testing overhead squats like that is stupid?

papu wrote: »
    Anyone else think testing overhead squats like that is stupid?

Nah, was great entertainment!

Any Idea's where Id get a decent blender people not too dear that will do the job? braindead here poured a kettle of hot water into my good glass one and cracked :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I got an awesome one in lidl the other week,

Zombienosh wrote: »
    I got an awesome one in lidl the other week,

Yeah how much is it decent yeah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

See you've been banned.

I got a Hinari Genie off Amazon uk 3 years back. 30 stg, used most days for chopping, grinding and blending. Like the day I got it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

CharmingElasticGrizzlybear.gif

Oh my.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

This is one strong fecker. Never tried this movement before

So I started a YouTube channel.. Not sure if anyone will be interested in it but I'll throw it here for the craic. Will be mostly recipes / full day of eating videos. Will probably get some training videos up eventually and I plan to log my experience with Lyle McDonald's Ultimate Diet 2.0 also

Full Day of Eating 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

16 year old Nigerian doper caught

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/nigerian-gold-medallist-chika-amalaha-fails-drugs-test-1.1881519

Such a pity, at 16 she might have still had room to improve without doping intervention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

discus wrote: »

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/nigerian-gold-medallist-chika-amalaha-fails-drugs-test-1.1881519

Such a pity, at 16 she might have still had room to improve without doping intervention.

Shame, I think she broke the games snatch record too? Impressive lifter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Here is a recipe for bars that I made up. Give it a try, very tasty.
    Maybe someone can figure out protien/fat/carbs etc.

Here is a recipe for bars that I made up. Give it a try, very tasty.
    Maybe someone can figure out protien/fat/carbs etc.

200g oats
    120g whey
    120g nuts
    120g raisins
    250g peanut butter
    125g butter
    2 bananas
    100g dark chocolate

5712 calories
    351g fat
    425g carbs 162g sugar 51g fiber
    222g protein

So if it the mix made 20 bars

285 cals
    17.5g fat
    21g carbs
    11g protein

They are mostly fat / carb but its alll good stuff. Not a great source of protein but definitely a source of delicious gains

6l77i_thumb.jpg

discus wrote: »

Weightlifting at a meaningful International level is a doper sport. It's a prerequisite for those with dreams of World or Olympic medals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

conzy wrote: »
    200g oats
    120g whey
    120g nuts
    120g raisins
    250g peanut butter
    125g butter
    2 bananas
    100g dark chocolate

5712 calories
    351g fat
    425g carbs 162g sugar 51g fiber
    222g protein

So if it the mix made 20 bars

285 cals
    17.5g fat
    21g carbs
    11g protein

They are mostly fat / carb but its alll good stuff. Not a great source of protein but definitely a source of delicious gains

6l77i_thumb.jpg

Cheers for that.
    Don't forget, 100% tasty.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Weightlifting at a meaningful International level is a doper sport. It's a prerequisite for those with dreams of World or Olympic medals.

Jason Blaha has brutally honest opinions / experience in relation to doping. He maintains doping is so prevalent and they have it down to such an art that when someone is caught. Its usually because of something they were unaware they were taking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Jason Blaha has brutally honest opinions / experience in relation to doping. He maintains doping is so prevalent and they have it down to such an art that when someone is caught. Its usually because of something they were unaware they were taking.

True that. Only reason you get caught is cos you messed up.

Hanley wrote: »
    True that. Only reason you get caught is cos you messed up.

Absolutely, and the likely reason Klokov withdrew before London for 'medical reasons' was they realised he had stayed on too long or too hard and wasn't going to pass the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Nice little comp in the mens Clean & Jerk in the Games this evening

The lad from Papua New Guinea was lucky to get away with the elbow touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Very lucky. The Aussie lad was bulling.
    Did the commentator said the Aussie lad was watching it on the screen in the back ? I don't think I'd be watching my competitor, He was very distracted for his last lift.

• Advertisement

Did the commentator said the Aussie lad was watching it on the screen in the back ? I don't think I'd be watching my competitor, He was very distracted for his last lift.

Yeah, he might have made the 201kg had he not have known, was good sportsmanship from him after though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

He must've been...when he flipped up after missing the last lift he starting hitting his elbow in what was a pretty obvious protest at the previous lift being called good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Where's the best place to get a resistance band? I seem to remember a few posters recommending a particular one.

It'll be for mobility stuff as opposed to assisted bodyweight stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Essien wrote: »
    Where's the best place to get a resistance band? I seem to remember a few posters recommending a particular one.

It'll be for mobility stuff as opposed to assisted bodyweight stuff.

d8fitness

d8fitness

Cheers.

Any one in particular or is it just a case of bigger/more expensive is better?

Cheers.

Any one in particular or is it just a case of bigger/more expensive is better?

Different bands for different mobility work because they have different strengths/resistances.

What kind of mobility work do you have in mind?

Different bands for different mobility work because they have different strengths/resistances.

What kind of mobility work do you have in mind?

I'm not sure really, I just know I need to be doing more than I am. In that case I might just get a couple of different ones.

I'm not sure really, I just know I need to be doing more than I am. In that case I might just get a couple of different ones.

I use the red power band for shoulder stuff in particular - band pull aparts and the like. Or for loosening up the upper body.

• Advertisement

James: *pointing at arm* If something's bruised, and sore, it's a reasonably good sign it's torn right?

Conor: Yup... normally is alright, here do this for me...

*test / test / test*

James: Eh, ow

Conor: Yup, your wrist flexors torn. How'd you do that?

James: Dunno... that sucks.

The life of a late 20s comeback powerlifter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Anyone see the sale strength shop had on this morning?

Picked up two second hand eleiko bumper plates for 115e.

Edit: two 20kg plates.

Double edit: seems to be gone now- not surprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

So so so sooooo tempted to buy the new adipowers...they'd look soooo purty with pink laces!

gymfreak wrote: »
    So so so sooooo tempted to buy the new adipowers...they'd look soooo purty with pink laces!

Check out the shoes bossarky bought in his log. Definitely on my shopping list!

Anyone got recommendations for a middle of the road bar for powerlifting/oly style training?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

gymfreak wrote: »

OR, they're just pretty as is.

I need to steal money to buy them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

Scuba Ste wrote: »
    OR, they're just pretty as is.

I need to steal money to buy them.

No, no, no...me and Erin had this convo today. They NEED pink laces!

I can't decide whether to get a new singlet or new shooooes.
    Choices :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Both

:)

10407153_10152560589200115_1746932305711581934_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,282 ✭✭✭COH

10482895_10152462372554641_1645788271655465797_n.jpg

Hanley wrote: »

10407153_10152560589200115_1746932305711581934_n.jpg
    COH wrote: »

10482895_10152462372554641_1645788271655465797_n.jpg

We get a shot of these side by side tomorrow?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement