Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the Story MkII- Off topic thread

Comments

I've myself 90% convinced to buy a pair of Adipowers. Quick question, though...

In regular shoes and runners I'm a size 11. Would I be right in thinking a size 10.5 in the Adipowers would be best? Or should I go with the 11?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

I went with my own size as I had a few pairs of gazelles and sambas in the past and they are the same type of fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Folks I've hurt my knee, it started with just clicking when I bent it but now it's sore as well as clicking!

Don't want to stop training if possible (only recently into a routine and its working) but all squats/lunges/lift movements are out the window. Any recommendations as to what I can do?

(I will be getting to a physio soon, need a GP referral first!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,676 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

gvn wrote: »
    I've myself 90% convinced to buy a pair of Adipowers. Quick question, though...

In regular shoes and runners I'm a size 11. Would I be right in thinking a size 10.5 in the Adipowers would be best? Or should I go with the 11?

I wear size 11 in Sambas and my PPs are 10. Tight but they should be.

Just bought them in size 11... Hopefully they fit okay!

gvn wrote: »
    Just bought them in size 11... Hopefully they fit okay!

You can always wear football socks if there's too much space.

You can always wear football socks if there's too much space.

True, or just a double up with the ankle socks. I'd say they'll be fine... Hopefully I'll have them before Friday (next squat day).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

misslt wrote: »
    Folks I've hurt my knee, it started with just clicking when I bent it but now it's sore as well as clicking!

Don't want to stop training if possible (only recently into a routine and its working) but all squats/lunges/lift movements are out the window. Any recommendations as to what I can do?

Recover. No point in forcing yourself through training when you know you're not right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

CM24 wrote: »

Reasonably entertaining reality TV show. UFC legends Frank Shamrock and Randy Couture try to save gyms from going bankrupt.

Lets see, full gym refit and advertising campaign leads to 30% increase in sales. And 15k a month revenue.

Except they say in the episode that they charge 40 Dollars a hour, have 49 active members, have 6 staff members and should be clearing 300k a year revenue at least.

A 30% increase after three months in membership(15), assuming an average of two hours a week(due to the cost) means an extra 5k a month. They were losing 1.5k a week and you can assume the owners were not being paid at that point. So you're left with 3.5k a month. The increased floor space and new equipment would lead to higher maintenance costs, considering the type of workout they do there. 3k a month for two people full time in America where they are is nothing. That area is one of the highest cost bases in the states.

That business is going under. The concept is no different to Gordan's program, a huge cash injection doesn't remove the fact that the businesses are not viable and the owners are usually incompetent. It just stalls the process out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

It's reality TV, it's not supposed to be realistic.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Lets see, full gym refit and advertising campaign leads to 30% increase in sales. And 15k a month revenue.

Except they say in the episode that they charge 40 Dollars a hour, have 49 active members, have 6 staff members and should be clearing 300k a year revenue at least.

A 30% increase after three months in membership(15), assuming an average of two hours a week(due to the cost) means an extra 5k a month. They were losing 1.5k a week and you can assume the owners were not being paid at that point. So you're left with 3.5k a month. The increased floor space and new equipment would lead to higher maintenance costs, considering the type of workout they do there. 3k a month for two people full time in America where they are is nothing. That area is one of the highest cost bases in the states.

That business is going under. The concept is no different to Gordan's program, a huge cash injection doesn't remove the fact that the businesses are not viable and the owners are usually incompetent. It just stalls the process out.

Spot on.

I didn't have high hopes for the show, and they weren't exceeded.

BUT it was entertaining, and Josh Carter, one of the consultants, is a very legit dude.

They were claiming 11k/month revenue at the end of it. Still not great for somewhere of that size. It should be doing 30-40k with good owners.

Be interesting to see where it is in a year. Looks like they got a real shock, and hopefully they do well from it.

PS - how did they do that refit in 3 days?

PPS - how much you reckon it costed, and how long would the payback period be if the owners had to invest it themselves?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Hanley wrote: »
    PS - how did they do that refit in 3 days?

PPS - how much you reckon it costed, and how long would the payback period be if the owners had to invest it themselves?

Looking at it,

Removal of stairs and climbing wall across the midsection.
    Create and fill a opening in the drywall on the second level
    Installation of new stairs
    Installation of new climbing wall, 10 foot across 20 foot high, panelled sections.
    New flooring on the ground level, sectioned.
    Cargo Net and install.
    Small amount of new equipment.

I don't think its unreasonable it was done in 3 days, the work would have been easy in that sort of industrial setting in terms of fixing, wall supports, weight carried. Assuming the stairs had been premade or fitted perfectly from stock,as that would have been the hardest part.

Not sure of the cost, I would never have sourced anything like that before.

I thought the program was entertaining, I watched it. But I don't like the fact that it brings hope to people, when the business is still going to fail. America is not a pleasant place when you have no job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Ive watched 3 episodes so far:P

Ive watched 3 episodes so far:P

How?

How?

They're on YouTube:)

Just search gym rescue season 1 episode 2/3. I don't think there are anymore but I haven't gone looking!

How do these people get away with some of this **** anyway? You'll see more of it as it goes on. Uncertified coaches etc..

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

conzy wrote: »

In terms of sustainable sources of food, insects are the future.

In terms of sustainable sources of food, insects are the future.

This is true.

If you're a spider.

I don't know why she swallowed a fly

perhaps she'll die

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

10 quid for 55 grams worth? Which according to their figures is about 35g of protein...

I'll give you 2 scoops of whey and an avocado for half that price.

Caliden wrote: »
    10 quid for 55 grams worth? Which according to their figures is about 35g of protein...

I'll give you 2 scoops of whey and an avocado for half that price.

Yeah but think of the pranks!!!11!

For everything else there's Mastercard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

I was doing fartleks this morning, a labrador chased me for a bit, then this came on my mp3 player, aah yeah....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Was listening to Newstalk and apparently chips and sausages are the perfect food for people in hospital as they need the calories.

JJayoo wrote: »
    Was listening to Newstalk and apparently chips and sausages are the perfect food for people in hospital as they need the calories.

People are ****ing morons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

The wording from the HSE dietician was along the lines of

Healthy food is for healthy people
    People in hospital need lots of calories so they get this type of food.

Fcking mental

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

The wording from the HSE dietician was along the lines of

Healthy food is for healthy people
    People in hospital need lots of calories so they get this type of food.

Fcking mental

Well they clearly aren't getting those calories considering the majority if not everyone that spends more than two nights in hospital starts losing muscle and fat mass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

cc87 wrote: »
    Well they clearly aren't getting those calories considering the majority of not everyone that spends more than two nights in hospital starts losing muscle and fat mass.

I wonder how much a sick persons base metabolic rate is raised due to fighting infection/repairing tissue etc etc. I'd say you'd go through some amount of calories despite just lying in bed all day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

The problem isn't really the chips and sausage rolls (which are ****) it's more the lack of nutrition. She said it was really important to get the cals in when a person is in hospital but surely it's really really important to get as much vits/minerals into the body.

For example Glutamine is used in some hospitals in the states. I found about 5 pub med published studies saying that Glutamine shortened hospital stays. It's cheap, mixes in any drink and is easy to consume. Same with vitamin C in both animal and human studies they have shown that the amount of vit C in the blood decreases when a person is ill showing the body is using the vit c. Once again it's cheap and can be added to a persons drink.

I know some sup companies sell a powdered veg/fruit product. if such products did what they claim to and if they mixed easily with water without tasting mank then they might be a good/cheap/convenient way to boost nutrition when dealing with a big group of people such as a hospital.

Or open up a mini lidi in the hospital gift shop with their 49 cent fruit nom nom

To be fair, I was in hospital for ~3 days last year and the food wasn't anything like chips and sausages. Plenty of fruit as well.

Well, maybe 3 pieces of fruit.

I can't remember exactly but I remember thinking it was nothing like the stories that circulate from time to time about terrible hospital food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Elbow pain on lower body day.

Hamstring cramps on bench.

What is wrong with my body!

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Elbow pain on lower body day.

What is wrong with my body!

Neither are really abnormal:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Neither are really abnormal:P

Yeah I guess. The elbow pain just came back yesterday which was annoying. It was gone for so long.

The hamstring cramp was a while ago but can sometimes feel it on the verge. It's annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭rocky

rocky wrote: »
    How to maintain weight while in a 5star hotel in India... Eat once a day :)

Down 1kg after 10 days

Blacktie. wrote: »

Getting enough water on board?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Getting enough water on board?

I was getting cramps no matter how much water I drank and then it was mentioned mineral (magnesium?) Deficiency can cause cramps.
    I started taking a multi vitamin and mineral and it's not been a problem since. Truth be told I'm probably dehydrated now more than I was then too

I was getting cramps no matter how much water I drank and then it was mentioned mineral (magnesium?) Deficiency can cause cramps.
    I started taking a multi vitamin and mineral and it's not been a problem since. Truth be told I'm probably dehydrated now more than I was then too

Ah yeah, water isn't necessarily the answer. Just that it can be.

Potassium, magnesium and calcium could all be an issue as well.

But could be several things.

Hamstring cramp could be from a good bench set up. I remember when Hanley thought me the bench set up I cramped like a mofo!

Hamstring cramp could be from a good bench set up. I remember when Hanley thought me the bench set up I cramped like a mofo!

"...and if you cramp up, you're probably doing it right."

"...and if you cramp up, you're probably doing it right."

Boom!

• Advertisement

Like buying a house, the first assessment is more subjective. The second is more objective.

And so the following assessment stands:

Stewed rhubarb + vanilla whey = NOM NOM.

Ffs Brandon Lillys in Ireland and nobody spots it?

He didn't need a spot...

Yeah him and Chad Wesley Smith. COH got given a pair of wraps he'd squatted 800+ pounds in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

He was in RAW with COH.

..and in Aussie BBQ.

10646803_693459434067850_3396095814184240530_n.jpg?oh=1f67d6756ee16a657f3e2142bd00c458&oe=547EA567

Aaaand Urban Fitness all weekend.

He was in RAW with COH.

..and in Aussie BBQ.

10646803_693459434067850_3396095814184240530_n.jpg?oh=1f67d6756ee16a657f3e2142bd00c458&oe=547EA567

Did the place have any food left when they were done?
    What's that Aussie BBQ like? Last time I was in that neck of the woods for lunch I ended up going to some french restaurant instead. Far too posh for me but it was free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,309 ✭✭✭COH

Went for pints with them last night too :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

What's that Aussie BBQ like?

Not somewhere you go for a romantic meal but tasty and tonnes of meat.

I normally get the meatbox to takeaway which is 9E and must be about 80g of protein.

Beastbox if I sit in which must be 100g+

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement