Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second monitor setting

Options
  • 14-06-2013 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭

I wasn't too sure where to post this, but was wondering if anyone could help me.

I have a second monitor connected to my laptop, with the way my desk is set up I have the second monitor above my laptop screen. I order to move documents between the two screens I have to move them left to right or vice versa.

I was wondering is there any setting I can change to allow me to drag documents up / down the screen to make it appear on the second screen rather that left/right like I am currently doing?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

EmptyTree wrote: »
    I wasn't too sure where to post this, but was wondering if anyone could help me.

I have a second monitor connected to my laptop, with the way my desk is set up I have the second monitor above my laptop screen. I order to move documents between the two screens I have to move them left to right or vice versa.

I was wondering is there any setting I can change to allow me to drag documents up / down the screen to make it appear on the second screen rather that left/right like I am currently doing?

Right click on the desktop and choose "Screen Resolution". Is it possible to drag the second display above the primary one in the orientation pane?

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

yoyo wrote: »
    Right click on the desktop and choose "Screen Resolution". Is it possible to drag the second display above the primary one in the orientation pane?

Nick

Ugh, I spent ages trying to figure it out before posting here, clearly completely overthinking it.

Thanks Nick.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭raher1

I have two screens set to a desktop. I want two different images on both. Like two word documents but its not happening. I am using a VGA dual cable connection.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

raher1 wrote: »
    I have two screens set to a desktop. I want two different images on both. Like two word documents but its not happening. I am using a VGA dual cable connection.

You need a video card with dual video output (most desktop cards support this). Those splitters are only for mirroring displays, not extending them. They can only take in one signal and split it after all :) . Only the video card can control extended displays

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

You can pick up a dual video card for less than €50 in your local computer overlords

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭raher1

Is it easy to install or would I need a expert to do it? Thank yoyo forgot about other post.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

raher1 wrote: »
    Is it easy to install or would I need a expert to do it? Thank yoyo forgot about other post.

It's not that hard, if you know what you're doing.

I hate that sentence when a mechanic says that about ... changing <insert car part here>. I know nothing about cars but relatively everything about computers.

You will need to...

1. Fine out if your computer had PCI, AGP or PCIe slots
    2. Purchase either a PCI, AGP or PCIe Gfx card, depending on above.
    3. Open your computer [take off the side or top panel]
    4. Insert GFX card into free slot
    5. Put cover back on computer
    6. MAYBE install GFX card. CD should come with card and is a straight forward install
    7. Connect two monitors.

Get this far and the rest is easy.
    We can help with point 1 if you post your computer type here. Make and model.
    There is a SLIGHT change that you will have to go into your BIOS and disable the onboard GFX but we'll cross that road if we have to.

On 4. above, the card MAY need extra power. If so, a cable should be provided with it.

Advertisement