Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interview tips for Secondary School

• 14-06-2013 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hey guys

I have an interview next week for teaching French...I've just qualified and it's my first proper interview. The Principal said the interview will be partly in French...so just wondering if anyone has any experience on what may be asked in French...or English...that could help me prepare? I have a ton of questions I've found online but think real-life experiences may help too.

Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Know the syllabus. What would you start teaching to a certain year group when you start in September? How would you teach a certain topic? (I'm not a language teacher so I'm not sure how that question would work, I teach science do it would be how would you introduce the topic of plant structure etc) How would you make a subject interesting/enjoyable/applicable to real life?

There will be other questions about you, your strengths and weaknesses, your education what you can bring to the school. I haven't done many interviews but I think the syllabus based questions are important show that you know your stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 SS19

Thanks for the reply...kind of had majority of that but the what would you teach on the first day is a really good tip! Just not sure what is normally asked in French whether it'll be just about my experience of France or if it will be detailed as asking about the syllabus in French. I'm fairly fluent but would like to be as prepared as possible!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Enright

How would you promote french to your students?
    How would you enhance the language in the school?

What extra curricular activities have you/ would you be willing to participate in?

Foreign trips, French breakfast morning, french club

best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,524 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

and don't grovel/beg, hate seeing that in an interview

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

What sort of things do they say that would imply begging?

• Advertisement

Enthusiasm is nice such as "I think i would do a great job" etc etc. But its when you hear "I would do anything to work here" or "I really really hope and wish you give me this job please please please".
    Thin line between very enthusiastic and pathetic I'm afraid.

That would be cringeworthy all right. It's tough out there but they need to work on their self esteem if they are coming out with things like that.

absolutely. I don't mean to sound over critical but some of the stuff you would hear at interview would be worthy of a book.........

Thanks for that @Enright. @The Driver personally I would never 'beg' for the job...i think it's very unprofessional...im just trying to gage what could be asked from people who have had experience in this type of interview.

I don't the driver meant you personally , was giving an overall warning to job seekers.

The driver , how would you deal with a sarcasm by a member of the interview panel?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Last year a principal took out the LC paper and asked me which question I would suggest they do, checking I know the course. Also asked about favourite writer/poet. Asked what I do in my everyday life to keep my languages active.

My comments weren't directed at anyone in particular. About sarcasm, well theres not a whole lot you can do although I wouldn't have anyone on my interview panels that did that lark. You of course can appeal but that really only ends up one way and (unjustifiably) may give you a bad name.

Always show other interests. I am always weary of teachers who will be in at 7am, work til 10pm, work work work at teaching their subjects.....lovely but burn out in 5 years, everyone needs a good work life balance hence why I shut my door before dinner time each day and get going at other fun things in life.

Any other questions, please ask, seems June is always a time each year when I become popular!

Thanks , yeah I'm going to leave that one behind me . I was professional and mannerly in my responses and hopefully there will be plenty more interviews in the future . Even one would be fantastic. :) thanks the driver . I'm sure there will be plenty of questions :)

Do you think they they would ask many subject specific questions? I know the syllabus inside so not an issue just wondering how general or specific these interviews are...so difficult to know :/

it all depends, sometimes NQTs can't be expected to know the syllabus backwards but have the potential to be excellent teachers after short while so I wouldn't dwell on it.

Other advice: dress properly. You would be shocked at the level of inappropriate clothing I have seen at interview. And I mean inappropriate as opposed to simply not good enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭Caiseoipe19

TheDriver wrote: »
    My comments weren't directed at anyone in particular. About sarcasm, well theres not a whole lot you can do although I wouldn't have anyone on my interview panels that did that lark. You of course can appeal but that really only ends up one way and (unjustifiably) may give you a bad name.

Always show other interests. I am always weary of teachers who will be in at 7am, work til 10pm, work work work at teaching their subjects.....lovely but burn out in 5 years, everyone needs a good work life balance hence why I shut my door before dinner time each day and get going at other fun things in life.

Any other questions, please ask, seems June is always a time each year when I become popular!

Well since you offered...:)

Two things,

1. Is there usually a greater amount of jobs being advertised in June or later on in the Summer? NQT here hoping to go travelling for most of July and don't want to miss out on a lot of possible jobs...

2. And, is it possible that all eligible applicants to get called for an interview? I've one next week at 18.30 and just seems very late, unless there are a lot of interviewees. The ad didn't say short-listing would apply. Not vitally important or anything, but just thought I'd ask while I was at it!

3. Oh, and when you say dress appropriately...shirt and tie yes?

Hi,
    1.Depends on schools/VECs etc etc. I would never advertise a job in July or interview because its holidays month but other schools seem to not be bothered. Nearly all jobs should be on educationposts nowadays.
    2. Again depends on school or VEC. VECs tend to interview everyone to shortlist however sec schools can paper short list. Half six is very late alright.
    3. Appropriately would be more for the ladies to be honest but for a guy, then yes shirt and tie should be worn and not looking like the end of a wedding night with the tie halfway down the chest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭vamos!

Best of luck with the interview. Don't worry about the French questions, if you speak French you will be able to answer them! The French speaker is assessing your competence in the language,the others will probably ask more questions. I have never actually been asked on the syllabus. Realistically you are unlikely to be the only French teacher in the school and there should be a subject plan so you will be following that. You may be asked how you would teach a vocabulary theme or a grammar point. Keep your answers focused on the students and their learning. Also the one on how you would promote the language has been popular in my experience. Maybe also mixed ability and multi-level? You have done a degree and your dip. You will be able to answer the questions if you take a second to think and keep cool. Bonne chance!

Thanks for Vamos, that's very useful. I think the most I'm likely to get asked in French is just about my experience in France because if it was any more than that I think the principal would want to hear the answers. Merci :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Patches22

TheDriver wrote: »

Hi Driver,
    would you mind if I pm'd you? I don't want to hijack the thread!

And to SS19 - best of luck!!!

• Advertisement

Thanks! Has anyone had any experience with VEC interviews? Got word today I have an interview for a VEC and there is a lot of stuff on this site about VEC's and it's "who you know"...seems odd. I presume the usual questions will be asked but just wondering if VEC are much different.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

SS19 wrote: »
    Thanks! Has anyone had any experience with VEC interviews? Got word today I have an interview for a VEC and there is a lot of stuff on this site about VEC's and it's "who you know"...seems odd. I presume the usual questions will be asked but just wondering if VEC are much different.

They generally follow your application form and then there might be a question on classroom management or what you would do to try to engage a reluctant learner. It's not that different from a non-VEC interview.

The 'who you know stuff' is cobblers that some people like to perpetuate. It's up there with the 'men get jobs easier' and 'taking GAA helps'.

Cheers for that! Yeah I didn't take much notice to be honest! I'll have to try remember what I said on my application now...did it ages ago :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Spurious what do you do when interviewers ask ridiculous questions? I mean nonsensical questions. And the question, have you anything you'd like to ask us?

Patches22 wrote: »
    Hi Driver,
    would you mind if I pm'd you? I don't want to hijack the thread!

And to SS19 - best of luck!!!

Work away, I am getting a good few PMs as I seem to do each summer looking for advice.

Spurious what do you do when interviewers ask ridiculous questions? I mean nonsensical questions. And the question, have you anything you'd like to ask us?

every question in an interview is to gauge reaction and see how you fair. I ask 1-2 "interesting" questions and i just like to see how the person deals with it, especially if its one of those "theres no right answer" type of question.

spurious wrote: »
    They generally follow your application form and then there might be a question on classroom management or what you would do to try to engage a reluctant learner. It's not that different from a non-VEC interview.

The 'who you know stuff' is cobblers that some people like to perpetuate. It's up there with the 'men get jobs easier' and 'taking GAA helps'.

If I got a penny for everytime that came up! Sure, i only got my job because my dog fouled on the garden of one of the interview panel's neighbours sons.
    There will be nepotism the odd time and everyone has these stories but I always want to best teachers for my school, not the ones whose parents are my friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭drvantramp

How would you uphold the catholic ethos of the school?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

drvantramp wrote: »
    How would you uphold the catholic ethos of the school?

Getting involved in and actively promoting events like the school mass, choir, trocaire/concern fasts/fundraisers .... etc.
    I'd refer back to the mission statement in my answer -- mentioning the importance of holistic education, treating everybody with respect, ...that type of thing...
    Pulling students up if I heard them making derogatory terms towards he clergy ... Engage them in a more rounded discussion instead - get them questioning why they were saying what they saying...

Maybe plan a trip to Teen Spirit ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

On another note,

So sick of being told " you did a great interview ......but....."
    Fe* k the but

I wanted that job :-(

Ba humbug

Advertisement