Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interview tips for Secondary School

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

What do people usually ask at the end of an interview when they are given a chance to ask the panel something?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

how long is a piece of string to be honest. Some ask questions about when they will know or opportunities for more hours etc, others will take the opportunity to tell the panel more about themselves. There is no hard and fast rule however don't use the opportunity to grovel...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭drvantramp

the driver
    what is the point in having a massive number of first round interviews lasting 10 minutes in advance of shortlist and 2nd rd interviews for a part time maternity post?

surely better to short list initially based on application form and have a detailed interview of normal length, i.e. 1 round.

..and why cant VEC/ETB bodies have a basic centralised online recruitment system instead of duplication of paperwork/application forms asking same things for different schools? now there is waste in public service

drvantramp wrote: »
    the driver
    what is the point in having a massive number of first round interviews lasting 10 minutes in advance of shortlist and 2nd rd interviews for a part time maternity post?

surely better to short list initially based on application form and have a detailed interview of normal length, i.e. 1 round.

..and why cant VEC/ETB bodies have a basic centralised online recruitment system instead of duplication of paperwork/application forms asking same things for different schools? now there is waste in public service

we shortlist by interview because we have to. It would be much easier to do it by paper however there are some right gems that you would miss on paper such as excellent NQTs.
    I don't know why VECs can't have a system like you suggest? Maybe write to the IVEA and suggest it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 frain

Hey guys,

I'm just reading through your comments and wondering if you had any advice for me. I have an interview next week.

At a previous interview I was asked "if I walked into your classroom, what would I see". I feel like I really fell down on this question. I said students working hard, focused on the lesson, I would be helping them out etc...

Should I give a more specific answer?? From the start of the lesson to the end- Aims on the board, student's brainstorming topic in pairs, storyboard feedback, AfL, task, AfL, feedback then AoL task?? I'm just not sure what way to go with the question.

Any advice on this at all would be great.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

SS19 wrote: »
    Do you think they they would ask many subject specific questions? I know the syllabus inside so not an issue just wondering how general or specific these interviews are...so difficult to know :/

I was fresh out of the PDE and I was asked a whole slew of subject-specific questions, in Irish, about my subject area, how I would teach it, what I thought of the syllabus, what options I would choose on the syllabus, how it could be improved, etc. The post was advertising Irish as a second subject (in reality, at the time there were no hours available in it) with fewer hours than the main subject yet I was still grilled on my knowledge of the Irish syllabus, which while surprising at the time (my colleagues said no such questions would be asked) is completely reasonable in my view. I'd recommend preparing answers to similar questions regarding your subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

frain wrote: »

At a previous interview I was asked "if I walked into your classroom, what would I see". I feel like I really fell down on this question. I said students working hard, focused on the lesson, I would be helping them out etc...

Should I give a more specific answer?? From the start of the lesson to the end- Aims on the board, student's brainstorming topic in pairs, storyboard feedback, AfL, task, AfL, feedback then AoL task?? I'm just not sure what way to go with the question.
    Think of the question as an opportunity to fit in your strengths. What are the things that you're great at, better than your peers? Fit these things into an answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 frain

Ok, I'll try to work a couple of things into it. I suppose I have a fear of coming across as egotistical really. Thanks RainyDay.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 patriciaf6

Any more advice on questions we could get asked? I've an interview for a Maths and PE position and its been nearly a year since ive had an interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

Sorry for jumping on this thread but I just wanted to ask a quick question. It may sound like a strange one but what do people bring to interviews? Do people bring examples of their work/students work or anything like that?

• Advertisement

Bring nothing and dress properly! Its the Time of year I interview so many people and wrong impression is screaming from a lot of candidates.
    Practice practice practice.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

TheDriver wrote: »
    Bring nothing and dress properly! Its the Time of year I interview so many people and wrong impression is screaming from a lot of candidates.
    Practice practice practice.....

Thank you! Someone told me before to bring a box of things such as a senior and junior lesson plan, examples of things made in class, an example of corrections in a childs copy etc. She said it was expected in all interviews which is obviously not the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Corkgirl18 wrote: »
    Thank you! Someone told me before to bring a box of things such as a senior and junior lesson plan, examples of things made in class, an example of corrections in a childs copy etc. She said it was expected in all interviews which is obviously not the case.

I've got every interview I've done bar the most recent A post interview where I was last on seniority and didn't have a hope. I've never brought any of the above to interview. Unless the principal has requested it in advance I wouldn't bother. I've brought a spare copy of my CV and application but that's more for me to skim read before I go in than having for the panel or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭nermal15

I have an interview next week and was told there'd be a written exercise. My subjects are English and Religion...anyone have experience of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Sent you a message nermal.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 patriciaf6

Interview for a maths job next week! Any ideas of questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Someone posted this on the Voice for Teachers Facebook page. A load of possible interview questions. Might be of help to some people.

https://www.facebook.com/VoiceForTeachers/posts/998107023563304

Advertisement