Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difficulty connecting to wireless eFibre broadband using Windows Vista SP1

Options
  • 14-06-2013 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hello there,

I recently upgraded to eFibre. I have the new Eircom "F1000" modem.

However, I'm having difficulty accessing the wireless eFibre with my laptop. I entered the wireless key correctly and it said that it successfully connected, but I'm unable to actually access the internet. I tried connecting my laptop to the modem using an ethernet cable and it works find, however the wireless connection doesn't work for me. 

I'm having no problem connecting to the eFibre wireless broadband with another laptop running on Windows 7 or even my anroid phone, the problem is with my laptop running Windows Vista SP1.

Having looked around online, I think it may have to do with the fact that the F1000 eFibre modem uses WPA/WPA2 PSK as its security and that this is not  compatible with Vista. Is there some update or something I can download? 

I'd like to know if anyone else has had this problem and how the issue was resolved.

Here are my laptop's specifications: 

Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 1
    Model: Compaq Presario CQ60 Notebook PC
    Processor: AMD Turion Dual-Core RM-72 2.10 GHz
    Memory (RAM): 4.00 GB
    System type: 32-bit Operating System

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

Yes the F1000 uses WPA2 and vista does not like this, there is a hotfix out there for the issue, but it might not fix it, I would suggest you try the hotfix first, if that fails you can lower the security to WEP, but this would be a last ditch attempt at fixing it, as WEP is alot less secure than WPA.
    Here is a link to the hotfix http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935222

• Registered Users Posts: 9 TickTokClock

allen175 wrote: »
    Yes the F1000 uses WPA2 and vista does not like this, there is a hotfix out there for the issue, but it might not fix it, I would suggest you try the hotfix first, if that fails you can lower the security to WEP, but this would be a last ditch attempt at fixing it, as WEP is alot less secure than WPA.
    Here is a link to the hotfix http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935222
    I've just downloaded that hotfix and restarted my computer. It hasn't work and has messed around with my system a bit to be frank. How do I lower the security to WEP?

Also, does anyone else know of any other way to fix this without lowering the security?

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

would you not just update vista to SP2?

Baneblade wrote: »
    would you not just update vista to SP2?
    From what I've read, both Vista SP1 and SP2 are having the same problem, so upgrading to SP2 would seem a pointless exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

should be fine on SP2 updated mine 2 weeks ago.  if there are still problems after that i would check the date on the wireless drivers they might not be the latest

• Advertisement

Baneblade wrote: »
    should be fine on SP2 updated mine 2 weeks ago.  if there are still problems after that i would check the date on the wireless drivers they might not be the latest
    I just updated to Vista SP2 and it works fine now. Thanks!

Problem Resolved.

Advertisement