Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What training book / plan would you recommend?

Options
  • 14-06-2013 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

Hi all,

I did my first two Try-a-tri's this year and really enjoyed them. I don't have any others planned for this year (I'm doing the Ring of Kerry and the Sean Kelly 100 during the summer and my spare weekends are limited) but I'd like to start preparing for next year now.

I have never been very competitive, but decent mid-table finishes will do me nicely. I have dodgy Achilles tendons (both of which I ruptured playing football in my 30s, each needing surgical repair) and so my running miles are naturally restricted. As a consequence I will in all likelihood never do a Marathon, and I figure an Oly-distance Tri will be a good substitute. After that, who knows? I have a young family and am busy at work so I don't find it easy to fit in lots of training although I would love to, honest! ;)

I cycle 20k regularly, 40k occasionally, and 80 - 140k once in a blue moon. I run 5k regularly (PB 22:30) and have the fitness to run 10k, although I pay for it afterwards in tendinitis / soreness. I haven't tried a longer distance. I'm a brutal front-crawler, but have no fear of OW. I can breaststroke ok. I have been for a couple of lessons but I really just haven't put the time in to date. I plan on changing that, and then maybe having a couple more lessons in January when I have some sort of base, and including some OW training next spring. I'm not overweight.

OK - on to my main question:
    I am sold on the concept that HR training is the way to go, and you start with a long period of building aerobic fitness. Happy days - I have no plans to race in the next 12 months! But I want to ensure that I am training in a structured way for that time so what books / plans would you recommend? I have looked at Friel and Fink, but reviews of each would suggest that they are for people at a level (or six) above me, while other books are for people who are unfit, perhaps overweight, and just looking to struggle through their first Tri in 12 weeks time. I feel I land somewhere in the middle fitnesswise, and I don't have an event that I'm aiming for in the short term.

Any suggestions?

(Apologies for all of the detail, I just figured you'd need to know about where I'm at to be able to make a recommendation!)

Comments

Advertisement