Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned for backseat modding.

Options
  • 14-06-2013 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭

In the Waterford City forum, I was banned for a week for backseat modding and low level trolling.
    The thread related to recent tragic events in Waterford.

One poster attacked a politician for comments he made on the 6.1 news.
    I posted that this was inappropriate posting and asked that the poster ( who is also a moderator ) consider moving it to the politics thread.

"Having a go at another politician - on this thread- Class, Sully.. would you not consider posting it in the politics thread?"

I had reported the original post as required, I feel a ban for my post is disproportionate.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Have you PM'd the moderator in question to discuss the ban (as per the flow chart above)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Yes. they referred me here

Ok. Mr Magnolia or I will review this & come back to you.

Thanks

Hi Chiparus. Apologies for the delay - I will respond on this later today.

• Advertisement

Thanks

Hi Chiparus:

I've had time to read through that thread now & have to say that your comments only served to potentially drag the thread further off-topic.

While I acknowledge that you reported the post - you did so after you made the on-thread comment.

By choosing to 'have a go' at Sully on-thread instead of leaving matters to the moderators - you caused further disruption to that thread. I suspect that your comments are due to an issue that you have with Sully, but trolling anyone - moderator or poster - will not be tolerated.

I find that the ban is warranted & the term is appropriate in this instance.

You may choose to appeal to an Admin if you wish.

Take care,

tHB

Yes I would , I have never been banned in 9 years of using Boards.

Social media like this has been so popular because it allows people to get information without political agendas - Bans like this will destroy boards as an open ( within limits) platform.

Gentle bump for an Admin to review this appeal. Thanks.

Bump

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I've reviewed this, and come to the same conclusion as The Hill Billy. There's no question but that your post was back seat moderation, and as such warranted a sanction. The question I asked myself was whether it warranted a ban - under normal circumstances I would have thought it harsh, but given the particular circumstances of the Waterford forums, it seems that harsher than normal measures are required to get the message across.

The ban is upheld.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement