Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Commercial insurance for classic van

Options
  • 14-06-2013 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hello guys,

I'm not too up on this and was hoping someone might know more than I do on the matter.

I am trying to get commercial insurance for a classic van. The combination seems to blow insurance company's minds! They will give classic car insurance...Classic van insurance is harder to find...but what seems impossible to find is classic commercial van insurance.

Is anybody here familiar with this kind of insurance? I would really appreciate your help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

try IVVS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

My classic van is insured through IVETA scheme / Campion insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

shagman wrote: »
    My classic van is insured through IVETA scheme / Campion insurance.

Yours is a camper though isnt it Shag...??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

The Irish Vintage Society

http://irishvintage.net/rates

re-reading I see the problem....you want to USE your Classic van commercially.I think you'll just have to insure it commercially. I don't think anyone will give you commercial cover on a classic, it's a concession basically for show vehicles.

• Advertisement

corktina wrote: »
    re-reading I see the problem....you want to USE your Classic van commercially.I think you'll just have to insure it commercially. I don't think anyone will give you commercial cover on a classic, it's a concession basically for show vehicles.

What about all the yank pick-ups then...do they not fall into the "commercial" catagory...:confused:

I was thinkin of getting an old van for work, but my company wont insure a van older than 15 yrs..

are they Classics? are they USED as Commercials?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭velosolex

Did you get the insurance you required? and where? as I am in a simular position.
    AHD wrote: »
    Hello guys,

I'm not too up on this and was hoping someone might know more than I do on the matter.

I am trying to get commercial insurance for a classic van. The combination seems to blow insurance company's minds! They will give classic car insurance...Classic van insurance is harder to find...but what seems impossible to find is classic commercial van insurance.

Is anybody here familiar with this kind of insurance? I would really appreciate your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

I had this a few years back, I was told if the van is being used commercially or professionally you need proper commercial insurance and more than likely a DOE/Engineers report to prove that it is up to the job as well. Van insurance is usually cheap enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭flowers345

What would be cheaper?
    What would be easier to get?
    Insurance companies that give this?

I have similar. 11 year old brick and need to insure. No one will insure it. I will drive it for commercial purposes but will not drive many miles per year. Might drive it once a month for 5 miles with the way the economy is going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

flowers345 wrote: »
    What would be cheaper?
    What would be easier to get?
    Insurance companies that give this?

I have similar. 11 year old brick and need to insure. No one will insure it. I will drive it for commercial purposes but will not drive many miles per year. Might drive it once a month for 5 miles with the way the economy is going.

11 year old won't fall into any classic insurance category, 15 years is the youngest car a classic insurance policy will cover. If you're driving it for commercial purposes you'll need a commercial policy, if you're only doing 5 miles a month in it would it not be cheaper to pay someone to transport it the 5 miles for you.

Who knows the cheapest commercial insurance at the moment?

flowers345 wrote: »
    Who knows the cheapest commercial insurance at the moment?

€285 for a 2.8 V6 , 180kph Vito................:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18 sneachtaman

correct

Using it for carrying anything you will need commercial cover.

If insurance company kick back about age, push back they may cover with an engineers report
    bbsrs wrote: »
    11 year old won't fall into any classic insurance category, 15 years is the youngest car a classic insurance policy will cover. If you're driving it for commercial purposes you'll need a commercial policy, if you're only doing 5 miles a month in it would it not be cheaper to pay someone to transport it the 5 miles for you.

Insurance companies should not get away with refusal on those grounds.
    They look at the statistics and only insure the lowest risk.

Advertisement