Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** 2013 Music HL Before/After **

Options
  • 14-06-2013 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

This is the music Thread.

Does anyone know if there's somewhere online that has a list of all the music definitions we need to know? eg. Obligato, chaconne etc.

Also, was last year's paper considered easy?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Undeadfred wrote: »
    This is the music Thread.

Does anyone know if there's somewhere online that has a list of all the music definitions we need to know? eg. Obligato, chaconne etc.

Also, was last year's paper considered easy?

I am not 100% sure if there are a list of definitions online with them but in the Soundscapes book/Less Stress More Success Music books they usually have a list of them. Don't go out and buy them just to get the list but mores you should do what happens in some other threads, where you ask "Define chaconne" and they reply with the definition and then ask a question "define obbligato etc.".

Last year's Paper was a strange paper. Some of it was hard some was easy. I myself found the composing paper really easy but found some of the listening difficult. I was really happy I got an A1 in the end anyways. The irish music essays weren't the nicest either but it wasn't the worst paper.Note that A1 rate went way down however so it could probably come up this year.

Just a tip for the unheard section; I have no clue who the Chief Examiner is or what genre/instrument of music he plays but there has been a recomposition of Vivaldi's 4 Seasons (it was recomposed last year (october 2012)) so if I were to predict something for part of the unheard section it would be something to do with the recomposition. It's not a guarantee just a tip on a possibility. I thought they could throw something up with Glee either last year or Smooth Criminal on 2 Cellos. If it were the Recomposition, it probably wouldn't be something from Spring because Spring 1 was on the JC syllabus but maybe Summer 1/3 or Winter 1/2 .

Here's links to the recomposition piece:

(give the original a listen to as well to get the gist of the differences)

Smooth Criminal on Cellos :

It's worth looking at them anyways as practice and just note the differences to the originals.

I'll be in and out of this thread a lot so if you've any questions ask away :)

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Undeadfred

That's great thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Moromaster

I would seriously doubt the Four Seasons; it's on the JC syllabus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Moromaster wrote: »
    I would seriously doubt the Four Seasons; it's on the JC syllabus.

Only Spring I and II from the 4 Seasons is on the Junior Cert Syllabus. The rest isn't. It is unlikely it will come up anyways seeing as ANYTHING can come up but it's worth a look over to practice and see the different techniques used and comparing them which is like what is asked in the LC unheard section.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

I'm home alone singing Bach (namely the Bass Aria an octave higher than written) at the top of my voice to the recording when I realise the window's open and my neighbours are out the bach garden...hope they like Baroque :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭andrew369

Hoping for Tchaikovsky as question one. Going to Verona over summer and that is where Romeo and Juliet was set. TIS A SIGN I SAY!!!

Anyone else be having an emotional breakdown if Barry finally comes up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

andrew369 wrote: »
    Hoping for Tchaikovsky as question one. Going to Verona over summer and that is where Romeo and Juliet was set. TIS A SIGN I SAY!!!

Anyone else be having an emotional breakdown if Barry finally comes up?

Yeah I'm thinking Tchaikovsky with focus on the Exposition possibly? I honestly think I'd cry if Barry came up. If it does it better be Section A,B1, C9 or the last 2. I can't differentiate the rest of the C's from one another! I'd say Bass aria/recitative for Bach and possibly the rock section for Queen?

kevin12345 wrote: »
    Yeah I'm thinking Tchaikovsky with focus on the Exposition possibly? I honestly think I'd cry if Barry came up. If it does it better be Section A,B1, C9 or the last 2. I can't differentiate the rest of the C's from one another! I'd say Bass aria/recitative for Bach and possibly the rock section for Queen?

Well the intro, ballad and operatic sections came up for Bohemian last year so that only really leaves the rock section and outro I think. Honestly any part of Tchaikovsky and Queen I think I could handle. My Bach could be a little better but Barry is just god awful. I am the same can barely even tell the sections of it apart. Hell of a lot of learning for such a small section of the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 CoolDudesJunk

Have nearly a week to study for this! That doesn't mean an A1 of course, staving off procrastination will be tough.

This playlist will help anybody having issues with their listening:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eUBCBjunrc&list=PLF966032D01DFC3A6

Have nearly a week to study for this! That doesn't mean an A1 of course, staving off procrastination will be tough.

This playlist will help anybody having issues with their listening:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eUBCBjunrc&list=PLF966032D01DFC3A6

Forget a week to study, week to learn the course for me. :P Had an awful music teacher outside school since it wasn't an option for me at my school. Pretty much thought me nothing other than that I would be good at the practical section. I think I will be ok for the written section but the listening is looking a bit dodgy. Anyone any tips on absolute bare essentials I should learn for the written and listening? I have Dara Blacks notes as a guide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ladymacbeth

Ok so um, help.
    I am panicking over the works big time. What do I study (no study done on them all year).
    Also have Ag and Chemistry to study for.
    Paper 2 is ok but the works, dear god. My practical went very well so there's pressure on me now. I am freaking out what do I need to know. Which sections of the works are likely to come up ?? :'(

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭curly135

Ah lads, Barry's great craic :D

Really, it's actually one of the easiest questions to answer on if you've done some bit of study, the same questions tend to come up on it in the exams. I'd be pretty happy if it came up as Q.1 :)

Personally it's the Irish music question I'm dreading :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

curly135 wrote: »
    Ah lads, Barry's great craic :D

Really, it's actually one of the easiest questions to answer on if you've done some bit of study, the same questions tend to come up on it in the exams. I'd be pretty happy if it came up as Q.1 :)

Personally it's the Irish music question I'm dreading :pac:

Yeah, once you can tell the sections apart (putting a story to it helps), it's grand! Glad someone else thinks so :P

Irish music's grand, my prediction for the 10 mark essay is the harping tradition. Sure PM me if ye need a hand with it, I do love trad :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

This subject has been sorely neglected by me. I will need to have a crash course in it on Wednesday. :P

What are the super key & important aspects I should study for the set works? I'm grand for the composition, and for Irish Music & Unseen I know what I have to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭curly135

Yeah, once you can tell the sections apart (putting a story to it helps), it's grand! Glad someone else thinks so :P

Irish music's grand, my prediction for the 10 mark essay is the harping tradition. Sure PM me if ye need a hand with it, I do love trad :D

Hoping for that one too, one of the few I've prepared well, if it comes up I can write away about Turlough O'Carolan and bardiac harps and all that :) Tis more the listening part I'm nervous about, but hopefully they won't ask anything too difficult :P

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭hitchcock

Hey guys, when we are writing our melodies, where do our phrase marks begin and end? Above the first note and last note in the first system? And in upbeat melodies, do we have to draw a little phrase mark above the extra one/two notes at bar 4? Sorry if this is confusing to read :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 SmidgeBall

A, B1, C1, C2, B2, C3, D1, D1 & B3, E1, C4, C5, E2 & D3, C6, C7, F & C8, C9, G, H

Screw you Barry and your system, I WILL PREVAIL! I have a gut feeling it's going to be Barry for Q1 because the SEC hate us, but I've been doing so much study on it I kinda hope it is :3 Really gunning for the a1, Set for the composing paper just nervous about the listening, Irish music and aural skills in particular...

• Registered Users Posts: 26 SmidgeBall

hitchcock wrote: »
    Hey guys, when we are writing our melodies, where do our phrase marks begin and end? Above the first note and last note in the first system? And in upbeat melodies, do we have to draw a little phrase mark above the extra one/two notes at bar 4? Sorry if this is confusing to read :)

It's easy if you just do a the little comma thing at the end of the bar for phrasing, it's easier not to mess up, for the upbeat melody you put the comma BEFORE the up beat (eg, if it's in 4/4 time with a crochet upbeat then place phrasing after the third beat -not the 4th) Hope that helped :)

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Keggers2

Man, it really feels like I don't know a single bloody thing, especially composing. Really hoping it'll just 'come to me' on Thursday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

Cry for help here lads. :P I use my teachers layout for the melody writing, using all of his tips & tricks along the way and the highest I've ever gotten was 30/40. Same goes for backing chords, 50/60. That's when I employ his methods perfectly btw, if I slip up at all it's usually less. In fact, he's almost outright said a few times that this is as much as we should be aiming for with his methods, and that it's down to 'the taste of the examiner & how they like your overall piece' as to whether or not you pick up the other marks.

Our layout is:
    ¦ Given ¦ Given ¦ Given ¦ Given ¦

¦Dev b1 ¦Dev b2 ¦ascend - link note¦mod to dom, then V7¦

¦Seq b2/3¦Seq b9 ¦ascending climax ¦V7 ¦

¦Invert b5¦Invert b6¦ii V7¦I ¦

We are usually told to start out mf, building it up slowly to ff at the climax then letting it go back down again to f to finish. After that the only dynamics I would use at all are slurs & then maybe a bit of staccato in the climax.

How can I tweak this to get full marks? Are there a list of rules concerning intervals and stuff that you need to follow or at least keep in mind to make sure your piece sounds good?

It's annoying because I have a good grasp of what we have done. I just feel like we haven't done enough, and I've no book to refer to or anything, we were told not to bother with one. Should have gotten one anyway :(

• Registered Users Posts: 22 jackkeane

If you look at past exams Bach has come up as 25marks SO many times! Its so strange, whats wrong with Tchaikovsky?! Queen and Barry have only been 25makrs each too. Bach is my worst one at the moment. Hoping to crash study tomorrow.

Ahhh I've done nothing for Irish music... what are people expecting? My teacher said if I know the 2012/2011 answers 1 out of the 8 should be on it again... is that safe?

Hoping for Irish dance types!!

jackkeane wrote: »
    If you look at past exams Bach has come up as 25marks SO many times! Its so strange, whats wrong with Tchaikovsky?! Queen and Barry have only been 25makrs each too. Bach is my worst one at the moment. Hoping to crash study tomorrow.

Ahhh I've done nothing for Irish music... what are people expecting? My teacher said if I know the 2012/2011 answers 1 out of the 8 should be on it again... is that safe?

Hoping for Irish dance types!!

I think Tchaikovsky is due up this year considering the amount Bach has been up and Queen being up last year. Barry was on 2005 I think but that is pretty recent compared to Romeo and Juliet not being up since the 90s. :P

As for Irish essays lot of people I talk to are going for harping tradition and influence in North America/abroad as probably being in there but it is anyone's guess really.

andrew369 wrote: »
    I think Tchaikovsky is due up this year considering the amount Bach has been up and Queen being up last year. Barry was on 2005 I think but that is pretty recent compared to Romeo and Juliet not being up since the 90s. :P

As for Irish essays lot of people I talk to are going for harping tradition and influence in North America/abroad as probably being in there but it is anyone's guess really.

Thanks! I'll definitely do them so. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Dude Love 1

Hello everyone. Does anyone have links to proper marking schemes for the set works? I keep looking at the answers on examinations and they say 'any valid answer' and I'm thinking.. is my answer valid or not... It would really help if there were some proper marking schemes so you know if you're right or wrong! And I cant get a hold of the 2001,2000 and 1999 aural tapes either.. stresssss!!!

Hello everyone. Does anyone have links to proper marking schemes for the set works? I keep looking at the answers on examinations and they say 'any valid answer' and I'm thinking.. is my answer valid or not... It would really help if there were some proper marking schemes so you know if you're right or wrong! And I cant get a hold of the 2001,2000 and 1999 aural tapes either.. stresssss!!!

Unfortunately there are no 'answers' as such for these. Maybe try referring to your score/ notes to check if you're right. Usually if it says 'any valid answer' the range of answers are very broad so if you say something definitely in the score, its right!

http://edco.ie/lcmusic

You can get 1999, 2000 and 2001 listening audios here! ^^ :)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Dude Love 1

jackkeane wrote: »
    Unfortunately there are no 'answers' as such for these. Maybe try referring to your score/ notes to check if you're right. Usually if it says 'any valid answer' the range of answers are very broad so if you say something definitely in the score, its right!

http://edco.ie/lcmusic

You can get 1999, 2000 and 2001 listening audios here! ^^ :)

Thankyou, you're right it's best to just look at notes for any of those questions. Whenever I click into a soundfile on that link, windows media player cannot play it because it does not support the protocol... god damn!

Thankyou, you're right it's best to just look at notes for any of those questions. Whenever I click into a soundfile on that link, windows media player cannot play it because it does not support the protocol... god damn!

Oh no thats so annoying! they have been working for me :/

Just had a grinds session with my teacher there. She said she's expecting Tchaikovsky for q1and to know the solfa for the themes! She's anticipating that the coda might be asked! Dance/sean nos/fusion for Irish music. Harp/composer/dances for essay!

Major + major for melody and harmony!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 HelloFluffy

For the Irish music essays, basically leave out anything that came up last year.
    And for the melody, the only real way of getting full marks is to go on your instinct! Formulas will only get you so far, but if you can sightread the given opening, you kind of just have to go with it.

Dreading the harmony question :(

Advertisement