Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** 2013 Music HL Before/After **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

I would nearly put a tenner on the harping tradition coming up for the Irish music essay yoke.

Much as I love him and his ballets are cool, I will cry if Tchaikovsky comes up in q.1 :( BACH <3

I agree, Bach all the way! If Tchaikovsky does come up it mightn't be TOO bad. We're bound to get asked the love/strife theme solfa, and then a question about programmatic overture or something?

Harping, Michael O suilleabhan, dances! Not wasting my time learning anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 jackkeane

Im doing Dance Tunes, Harping Tradition, North America and Fusion I think... fingers crossed!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭andrew369

I would nearly put a tenner on the harping tradition coming up for the Irish music essay yoke.

Much as I love him and his ballets are cool, I will cry if Tchaikovsky comes up in q.1 :( BACH <3

Yeah he said in the comments underneath that his next top choice after those listed would be the harping tradition, I am definitely learning it off tonight in case it is up. North American influence and ornamentation would be good too. :D

I will do the happy dance if Tchaikovsky is in there. I am self teaching the course so he and Queen are the 2 I know really well. Could never get much of a grip on Bach and especially not Barry.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Keggers2

That is actually gorgeous, if only!

A definition of chromatic movement?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 HankScorpio_

NMCOC wrote: »
    Does anyone know a definition for a countermelody and counterpoint? :/

2 separate melodies played simultaneously! They both mean the same thing (I think..)

• Advertisement

Keggers2 wrote: »
    That is actually gorgeous, if only!

A definition of chromatic movement?

Chromatic movement - Half step movement that involves only one basic note.
    Chromatic scale - A scale consisting entirely of half steps.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

andrew369 wrote: »
    Yeah he said in the comments underneath that his next top choice after those listed would be the harping tradition, I am definitely learning it off tonight in case it is up. North American influence and ornamentation would be good too. :D

I will do the happy dance if Tchaikovsky is in there. I am self teaching the course so he and Queen are the 2 I know really well. Could never get much of a grip on Bach and especially not Barry.

It helps if you put a story to Barry to help remember the sections. I have one involving zombies, a céilí, Michael D. Higgins, Pope Francis and Enda Kenny and I can tell the difference between all of them now :pac:

Harping tradition, the Horslips and/or Bill Whelan, and I'll pull dances out of the bag, playing the trad flute has its benefits, even if the school trad group is like the chess club of our music department :cool:

For a general essay on the Harping Tradition, can you talk about the 1792 Belfast Harp Festival & Edward Bunting or just stick to the actual harp itself?

For a general essay on the Harping Tradition, can you talk about the 1792 Belfast Harp Festival & Edward Bunting or just stick to the actual harp itself?

Mine is pretty much the medieval role of the harpist and importance in society, decline, the 2 main types of harp, revival under the festival with Bunting recording the pieces and a small mention of the revival in the later half of the 20th century.

I've seen both a question on "The Irish Harp" and "The Irish Harping tradition" come up. For the former I'd say you would just talk about the wire strung harp being played by long fingernails, evolution of the instrument, etc, but the latter is more of the planxty side of it, and definitely collectors and 1792 :)

• Advertisement

Thanks guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Undeadfred

kevin12345 wrote: »
    Aria - A song like movement for solo voices
    Chaconne - LIke a ground bass but where the vocal and instrumental ostinato figure moves out of the bass into the instrumental and vocal parts.
    Chorale - A hymn tune
    Continuo - A bass instrument
    Figured Bass: Numbers under the continuo part which gives the player a harmonic outline which is then filled in.
    Ground Bass - A repeating musical figure heard in the bass.
    Imitation - Direct or indirect repetition of a musical idea by another voice/inst.
    Melisma - Singing many notes per syllable
    Polyphony - A musical texture based on two or more independent melody lines.
    Recitative - A speech like setting of text for voice with continuo acc. or with continuo and instruments.
    Ritornello - A recurring theme which makes frequent appearances.
    Syllabic - One note per syllable.
    Word-painting - Musically highlighting a word in a way which draws attention to its meaning.

What about Obligato?

Btw, in minor melodies when you have the 7th going to the 6th, do you flatten both? or is it just flatten the 7th and make sure the 6th is not raised?

also when going from the 6th to the 7th, do you need the 5th and 8th on either side of them to be able to sharpen both of them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Undeadfred wrote: »
    What about Obligato?

Btw, in minor melodies when you have the 7th going to the 6th, do you flatten both? or is it just flatten the 7th and make sure the 6th is not raised?

also when going from the 6th to the 7th, do you need the 5th and 8th on either side of them to be able to sharpen both of them?

You've asked this loads and nobody seems to be responding so I'll give you an overall gist of what it is:

Obbligato- An instrument which is important and indicated as important to a piece and cannot be omitted, often a solo phrase or an instrument adding a different melody to the overall piece.

You flatten the seventh and you bring the 6th back to its original pitch (if it were sharpened, naturalise it. if it were naturalised, flatten it.)

Usually you do need both but sometimes it can work really. You wouldn't ever use the sharpened 7th anyways unless it was going to the 8th but there are exceptions.

Any other questions ask away~

What exactly do I need to KNOW about Barry?
    Like I know definitons, canon, retrograde etc.
    I know what the B and C sections sound like (can't distinguish between each individual one but I've given up on that)
    And I know features.. what else is there?
    Please tell me it's easier than people are making it out to be :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22 jackkeane

What exactly do I need to KNOW about Barry?
    Like I know definitons, canon, retrograde etc.
    I know what the B and C sections sound like (can't distinguish between each individual one but I've given up on that)
    And I know features.. what else is there?
    Please tell me it's easier than people are making it out to be :D

For every section you should know
    An Instrumental technique: You can say senza vibrato (strings with no shake) for any section!
    A Compositional Technique: these include inversions of an Irish melody, retrogrades (previous music written backwards), cannons (initial melody followed by same melody on another instrument at fixed interval.) counter melodies, juxtapositioning of extremes (sharp dynamic/tempo switches). Augmentaion (lengthening of note values from previous section), Splicing (shortening of note values from previous section), polymetres (bar lines in different places - use of different meters at the same time.)

Lads, I think a composer who fuses different styles with trad will come up, hasn't since 2009. Here's a bit about Bill Whelan and Riverdance for ye:

Reel Around the Sun -Opens with a slow air on low whistle drone on piano and strings
    -Chronos reel section is a slow reel with traditional instrumentation (fiddle, uilleann pipes)
    - Choral accompaniment by lilting
    - Gadulka and kaval non-trad accompaniment
    - Reel Around the Sun section has mostly trad accompaniment, fiddle melody, guitar accompaniment, bodhrán and spoons, uilleann pipes

Firedance: - Spanish flamenco and trad, features instruments from both ethnicities
    - Opens with Spanish guitar and strings accompaniment
    - Syncopation and change of time signatures
    - Fiddle and uilleann pipes then dominate melody
    - Reel-like section with quaver movement on uilleann pipes and guitar near end

Riverdance: - Choral and solo voice opening
    - Jig in 6/8 time on fiddle
    - Drums enter playing semiquavers bodhrán-like along with tambourine
    - Full orchestra enters playing syncopated melody on woodwind accompanied by strings playing inverted broken chords
    - Reel-like melody on soprano saxophone with trad ornamentation (cuts, rolls)
    -Rhythm changes to jig in 6/8, melody on uilleann pipes, syncopated brass accompaniment

Marta's Dance: -Mix of Russian ethnic and Irish trad
    -Solo fiddle and drone on uilleann pipes
    -Gadulka and kaval non-trad percussion
    -Trad ornamentation on fiddle eg. cuts, rolls
    -Uilleann pipes join in melody
    -Dervish section on accordian and uilleann pipes, features triplets as in Irish music

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭curly135

"So you think you can stone me and spit in my eye, so you think you can love me and leave me to die? Oh baby, can't do this to me baby, just gotta get out, just gotta get right outta here..."

[Heavy guitar riff] Duh duh duh duh duh duh duh! :p

Really though, you'd wonder what Freddie Mercury would say if he knew one of his songs was on the Leaving Cert Music course :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭HPMS

curly135 wrote: »
    [Heavy guitar riff] Duh duh duh duh duh duh duh! :p

Our teacher told us at this part to start playing air guitar, like the whole class at the same time, to see the super intendent's reaction, and then once that part is over, go back to writing as if nothing unordinary happened :) [provided this part comes up] haha but can you imagine? It'd be hilarious!

That's fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Dude Love 1

Thankyou to the legends that put up the Bach, Tchaikovsky and Queen definitions! Are there much definitions for Barry that we need to know??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭curly135

HPMS wrote: »
    Our teacher told us at this part to start playing air guitar, like the whole class at the same time, to see the super intendent's reaction, and then once that part is over, go back to writing as if nothing unordinary happened :) [provided this part comes up] haha but can you imagine? It'd be hilarious!

Genius! xD

• Registered Users Posts: 36 MusicChick94Xx

Here's a sentence our teacher gave us to remember the sections for Barry: A Barry Composition Containing Beautifully Composed Dissonances Distorted +and Backwards Each Contains Canon Easy +o (+ is used instead of a t) Detect Clusters Counterpoint Flautando +and Creative Composition Genius Horowitz

• Registered Users Posts: 26 SmidgeBall

If the Irish Harp comes up, sorted, 10 outta 10, if not... I'm basically fooked...

SmidgeBall wrote: »
    If the Irish Harp comes up, sorted, 10 outta 10, if not... I'm basically fooked...

Try taking a quick look at micheal o shuilabhain, he covers Irish composer, musician and fusion. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Isco

in 6 hours time we will be finished, ahhhhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SecondMan

Hopefully Beyonce comes up

Isco wrote: »
    in 6 hours time we will be finished, ahhhhhhh

FINALLY! I feel like it's been dragged out to death! Speaking of being dragged out to death, what's with the 3/4 minute gap in between each section of the listening! I normally use that time to write my essay. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭HPMS

You know Tchaikovsky has gotten to you when you use a pen to conduct an imaginary orchestra in your sitting room, while in your pyjamas and listening to Tchaikovsky on youtube.

Even more so, when you lipsynch to Bach Aria no 2.... :P

You know Tchaikovsky has gotten to you when you use a pen to conduct an imaginary orchestra in your sitting room, while in your pyjamas and listening to Tchaikovsky on youtube.

My mammy gave out to me for singing the Bass Aria two octaves higher than written :( ...well ok, it wasn't specifically because I was singing it in the wrong register, more the fact I was singing :P ( I think the melisma on "raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaache", "Hooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooffnung" and "raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaauuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuben" gets to her a bit :pac: )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 MusicChick94Xx

I'm doing the same ^-^

Advertisement