Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** 2013 Music HL Before/After **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SecondMan

My mammy gave out to me for singing the Bass Aria two octaves higher than written :( ...well ok, it wasn't specifically because I was singing it in the wrong register, more the fact I was singing :P ( I think the melisma on "raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaache", "Hooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooffnung" and "raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaauuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuben" gets to her a bit :pac: )

wut

• Registered Users Posts: 36 MusicChick94Xx

Anyone else screwed for composing? I was missing for every single bit of it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ulty77

Okay panicking here lads! How do you change key in the melody composition?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭curly135

ulty77 wrote: »
    Okay panicking here lads! How do you change key in the melody composition?

For major melodies in a key with sharps, raise the 4th note. The new key will then be the key of the dominant, ie. the 5th note of the original key. If the key signature has flats in it, then it's the same thing, except you naturalize the 4th note (natural sign before it). And you don't have to modulate for minor melodies if one comes up. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Keggers2

Fallen into that blissful state of acceptance that I am categorically boned :cool:

Gunning for 100 marks in the whole thing and banking on the notion that my practical went better than I thought it did (spoiler alert; it didn't)

Anywho, good luck everyone! I'm sure yee'll all be grand!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

That was BEAUTIFUL! Delighted!! Finished!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭hitchcock

I'M FREE :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭andrew369

That was great :D except for the Question 5 which was just syncopated evil adfjnadjfnadjfa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

That was grand. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

Ending the LC to the tune of Zadok the Priest; how better can that be!

Paper was great, although I think everyone might have done the same essay... bloody dance tunes...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 CNR94

_rebelkid wrote: »

Paper was great, although I think everyone might have done the same essay... bloody dance tunes...

I think a good few people on here learned the harping tradition one... we didn't even do it in school. I knew the Irish trad. dance tunes though so I was sound.

I went for the composer who used fusion, don't think many will have gone for that over the others. Was going to do the harping question but it was phrased a little oddly and didn't want to lose marks for waffling about medieval patrons when that has no relevance.

CNR94 wrote: »
    I think a good few people on here learned the harping tradition one... we didn't even do it in school. I knew the Irish trad. dance tunes though so I was sound.

Yeah, I was either doing the Harp or the Dance Types. I knew more about the dance types so I wrote 2 pages on it. :)

To be fair, it was a lovely paper. Only hard q was the word painting in Bo' Rhap; you really needed the detail to answer it. It was either the guitar after the eye and die, or as my friend who has listened to Queen since birth said, the chord structure.

andrew369 wrote: »
    I went for the composer who used fusion, don't think many will have gone for that over the others. Was going to do the harping question but it was phrased a little oddly and didn't want to lose marks for waffling about medieval patrons when that has no relevance.

Who did you choose?

Same I went for composer. I learned harping, dances and composer so I had a bit of a choice! The Tchaikovsky Q was just lovely!

Who did you choose?

Ni Shuileabain or however in gods name you spell it lol. Any topic with the word Hiberno-Jazz is just instantly awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ulty77

I wrote about the horslips for composer who fused stuff :P And what key was the melody composition in?

I wrote about the horslips for composer who fused stuff :P And what key was the melody composition in?

Q1 was A flat major. Q5 was a nasty F# minor. Did ye all see the upbeat?

Q1? It was A flat major!

Q1 was A flat major. Q5 was a nasty F# minor. Did ye all see the upbeat?

That Q5 is one of the worst I have seen, lucky to have scraped any marks in it between the odd key signature, syncopation and the upbeat. At least the melody was straight forward. Decent opening bars to develop off.

• Advertisement

That Q5 is one of the worst I have seen, lucky to have scraped any marks in it between the odd key signature, syncopation and the upbeat. At least the melody was straight forward. Decent opening bars to develop off.

Yeah. I took my time with it and just tried to make sure it looked nice. Tough but good...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Question 5 was ridiculous. They will have to easy on the marking if everyone has done ****. But in fairness the listening was actually pretty manageable for once.

I found question one was pretty bland and not much to work with for creativity.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

Told yis harp and fusion composer would come up :P

Anyway, listening paper was absolutely beautiful, composing paper was a load of crap and I hardly knew what the hell was going on in q.1 with Ab chords and whatnot. Hopefully both q.1 and q.5 turned out ok.

Didn't know why Zadok the Priest was Baroque other than being by Handel and featuring trills and keeping strict with the key sig :P

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

For Bo-Rap word painting Q did anyone do what I did? I said that the quick variation of chords on line 4 (gotta get out, just gotta get outta here) emphasized the need to get out and leave. .... Anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 jackkeane

the listening paper was actually so fair! Especially the dictation parts :o

Q5 was a bitch! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 22 jackkeane

LpPepper wrote: »
    For Bo-Rap word painting Q did anyone do what I did? I said that the quick variation of chords on line 4 (gotta get out, just gotta get outta here) emphasized the need to get out and leave. .... Anyone else?

After he says 'leave me to die.' there is a descending chromatic movement in the bass which conveys notion of going down ie to hell/grave. Thats what I said :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9 allyjack

jackkeane wrote: »
    After he says 'leave me to die.' there is a descending chromatic movement in the bass which conveys notion of going down ie to hell/grave. Thats what I said :P

I love you. I am not panicing now cos I actually got it right !!:P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 32 CoolDudesJunk

That Q5 was a nightmare! Was V C aug? I had to draw a piano on the page to figure it out hehe

The listening was great, the melody was a walk in the park, but I'm afraid I'll lose my A because of Q5 Harmony D: For some reason my class really just did major harmony Qs..

Anyway enjoy summer everybody! Hopefully we won't be back in the LC forums ever again, except to laugh at people of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭rugrats

I woke up at 4 in the morning... first thing that hit me: I forgot to put in the treble clef and key signature in my melody. Down to half marks already :( . Never in my life did I do it, but of course why wouldn't I do it in the leaving cert!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Undeadfred

rugrats wrote: »
    I woke up at 4 in the morning... first thing that hit me: I forgot to put in the treble clef and key signature in my melody. Down to half marks already :( . Never in my life did I do it, but of course why wouldn't I do it in the leaving cert!

Its already there you dont need to put it in

Advertisement