Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Russian terriers

• 14-06-2013 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

I'm thinking of getting a puppy
    I know they are a big dog and need company and training, but I have the time and space.
    Has anyone bought one recently, what sort of money do they cost and who are reputable breeders?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Can't find anything on the Irish site but here's a UK one and this site got two Irish breeders listed as well at the top who appear to be on top of their game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

If you can go along to a dog show, there are a few that are shown here, I had the pleasure of meeting them last year, and the owners are really friendly, and very willing to talk about their dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I know two breeders in ireland that I'd recommend. Try kalaslane Black Russians. Ill get the other name for you and let you know.
    Hotratz Black Russians is the other one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Beautiful big dogs. I see one quite regularly on our walks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭transit260

very good guard dog,to be honest though i think the giant schnauzer is rather like the russian and a lot cheaper too.

Transit, it is against the forum charter to link to pet advertising websites, and fair to say it is against the spirit of the charter to direct people to such sites.
    OP, please make yourself aware of the considerable pitfalls behind sourcing pups from people who advertise them via such a medium.
    Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Advertisement

As per the forum charter, please do not link to ads from pet advertising websites in this forum.
    Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

As above.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

smashing looking dog. So huge - out of curiosity, are there any major problems known with such a giant breed? Also, just out of curiosity, why/how are they called TERRIERS - Ive always associated the word terrier with small hunting dogs - the dictionary definition is:

any of several usually small, active, and short-bodied breeds of dog, originally trained to hunt animals living underground

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Zackdickensdog

Thanks for all the info, will post pic when I get one hopefully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

aonb wrote: »
    smashing looking dog. So huge - out of curiosity, are there any major problems known with such a giant breed? Also, just out of curiosity, why/how are they called TERRIERS - Ive always associated the word terrier with small hunting dogs - the dictionary definition is:

any of several usually small, active, and short-bodied breeds of dog, originally trained to hunt animals living underground

The word Terrier comes from the French: terre, meaning 'earth'. Really they're any breed designed specifically to follow game into their dens (afair).

• Advertisement
Advertisement