Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New connection and fibre broadband

Options
  • 14-06-2013 6:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭

My mother has never had a landline in her house. The cable is lying in a coil at her front door but was never pulled through into the house. She now wants to get connected up and to order fibre broadband. She is about 500m from the new cabinet and can see it from her house.

She wants to know the cost of this and the process for ordering.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

ppshay wrote: »
    My mother has never had a landline in her house. The cable is lying in a coil at her front door but was never pulled through into the house. She now wants to get connected up and to order fibre broadband. She is about 500m from the new cabinet and can see it from her house.

She wants to know the cost of this and the process for ordering.

Thanks.
    Hi ppshay

To order this please call eircom broadband and line sales on 1800503303. The cost for the line installation is free and packages and bundles can be found here:  https://secure.eircom.net/bundles/

Thanks

Al

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭ppshay

My mother talked to a rep on the phone who confirmed that installation was free. She ordered the new line and a fibre package and was given a date when an engineer would call in the first instance. Today she received a letter from eircom saying installation would cost €107 (+ VAT, I presume) and that she is required to pay a €150 deposit. This would be returnable after one year.

She is calling back today to cancel the order as she is a pensioner and cannot afford this amount of money up front.

Why does it have to be like this? Can you not just get things right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭eircom: Tracey

Hi,

The €107.43 ex vat is free on a promotional basis so she is not liable for this, the letter received is a standard document sent to all customer and states prices excluding promotions.

All new customers to Fibre have to set up a direct debit and if this is not done a deposit of €150 is required.

Thanks

Tracey

OK, thanks. She is frustrated with the whole process. What she needed in terms of customer service was somebody to understand where she was coming from as a pensioner who has little understanding of new tech. From the beginning, it was rushed and impersonal.

Why send her a letter stating that there was an installation charge and a monthly line rental when this is not the case. The letter should have been more personalised.

When she rang back today she discovered that her order had been cancelled. Nobody could tell her why. The fifth person she spoke to suggested it may have been because the does not have an email address.

Anyway, she reordered, and the engineer will call within five working days, all going to plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭eircom: Tracey

OK, thanks. She is frustrated with the whole process. What she needed in terms of customer service was somebody to understand where she was coming from as a pensioner who has little understanding of new tech. From the beginning, it was rushed and impersonal.Why send her a letter stating that there was an installation charge and a monthly line rental when this is not the case. The letter should have been more personalised.When she rang back today she discovered that her order had been cancelled. Nobody could tell her why. The fifth person she spoke to suggested it may have been because the does not have an email address.Anyway, she reordered, and the engineer will call within five working days, all going to plan.
    [font=Times New Roman", "serif]Hi ppshay, [/font]

[font=Times New Roman", "serif] [/font]

[font=Times New Roman", "serif]I completely understand your frustration and understand where you are coming from. I'm afraid we have no control over the letters that are issue, they are all standard. [/font]

[font=Times New Roman", "serif]I hope everything goes to plan for you and your mother now, however if any other issues arise please don't hesitate in coming back to me. [/font]

[font=Times New Roman", "serif]Thanks[/font]

[font=Times New Roman", "serif]Tracey [/font]

• Advertisement

"...we have no control over the letters that are issued". I don't understand. Surely, you do?

"...we have no control over the letters that are issued". I don't understand. Surely, you do?

Hi ppshay

I think Tracey meant in terms of from here (this forum) where we would not be able to arrange an alternative and more personalised letter.
    Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Al

I'm just going to leave this now...

but, there seems to be a lack of joined up processes within Eircom.

And, an engineer called this morning and installed the line. In the afternoon, she received a call to arrange a date for an engineer to do the line install.

And, an engineer called this morning and installed the line. In the afternoon, she received a call to arrange a date for an engineer to do the line install.
    OK ppshay

If any further issues arise please let me know

Al

OK ppshay

If any further issues arise please let me know

Al
    I wasn't going to waste my time coming back in here for more script-based, uber-polite, minimalisitc responses to what are genuine queries made by a disheartened and frustrated customer. Having since experienced more of the same with Eircom on the phone I am forced to give this another go, in hope rather than expectation.

From start to finish (will it ever be finished), this has been a farce. At this stage my mother has probably made around 50 calls to you. In addition to her initial issues: Somehow, she now has two account numbers. She has been told by Eircom staff that they cannot find her on the system. She has received a bill for €60+ despite purchasing the eFibre Unlimited at €35pm. Her bill describes the product as eFibre Advanced Unlimited - which is it, the Advanced or the Unlimited package - these are two different products at two different prices? She is getting 24mbs download from a 50mbs service despite being 30m from the cabinet she can see from her front window.

I will PM Alan with her number in the vain hope that:

1. Her bill will be corrected so that she doesn't pay any more than the €35 cost of the package for which she signed up.
    2. She receives credit for the overcharge.
    3. She is not overcharged in future.
    4. She gets the download speed she is paying for.
    5. Her account issues are sorted out.

Thanks.

• Advertisement

As Alan does not take PMs I've sent the PM to Tracey instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

As Alan does not take PMs I've sent the PM to Tracey instead.
    Thanks ppshay, Alan is off for few days so PM function is not active, Tracey will take details and investigate. We will be back later today or tomorrow with response to this issue.
    Tony

Well I received a factually incorrect PM from Tracey, to which I have replied.

I can't get my head around the incompetence. Sorry, I really can't.

Hi, any news?

I would like to advise anyone considering ordering Fibre from eircom prior to it being actually available, to be careful. It seems what they are doing, at least what they did to me, is to install DSL first with the provision that fibre will be installed at no extra cost when it goes live (as per their advertising campaign on RTE television). What they actually did was provide the DSL, then when fibre was ready, set up a new account (with a new account number) meaning that the fibre order was not a new order and thus (according to them) not eligible for the reduced first-time customer rate, but the higher existing-customer rate.

Beware.

Advertisement