Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Feedback Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Xavi6 wrote: »
    The Spurs one was fair enough as it was way back in the day but this Chelsea forum (which I didn't know about until today) goes against every argument that has been peddled for years for not having club specific forums.

If they got one then, unfortunately, so should United, Liverpool and whoever else. The admins have stupidly made a bed for themselves here IMO.

Where is the Chelsea one?

By having their own forum, it means the repercussions of a ban are considerably less for both Chelsea and spurs fans

Very simple really, either give every club their own forum, or none their own forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

The Chelsea one is one for the Admins as far as I'm aware and has nothing to do with the soccer mods so I can't see why it's being argued in here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

The Chelsea one was made due to active social groups being converted into private fora. It's not our jurisdiction, and the Admins recently said that no more club-specific fora would be made (Here). Please keep talk of that out of this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I get an Email to my work Email address, if I'm in work, usually 8-5 I'll check it ASAP, if I'm not in work or the weekends, I'll check the reported posts forum every half hour or so when I'm online.

work email address? :eek:That's pretty dedicated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

G.K. wrote: »
    Please keep talk of that out of this thread.

Only give us feedback about the subjects we want to hear it about.

Just about sums up the SF Mod team from about 2004 onwards.

Glad to see the current crop are keeping her lit anyway.

You're missing the point, it's not give us feedback about the subjects we want to hear about, it's give us feedback on the stuff we can do something about. We have no clout over the creation or removal of these fora, and this thread is about the Soccer Forum and how we're running it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

You're missing the point, it's not give us feedback about the subjects we want to hear about, it's give us feedback on the stuff we can do something about. We have no clout over the creation or removal of these fora, and this thread is about the Soccer Forum and how we're running it.

Ok but can you not even accept that a ban for a Chelsea/Spurs fan is not as big a deal if they can go off to their sub forum?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

lordgoat wrote: »
    Ok but can you not even accept that a ban for a Chelsea/Spurs fan is not as big a deal if they can go off to their sub forum?

Even if he or any of the other mods fully agree here (and you make a decent point), what can they do? as stated we have no influence over the creation or removal of these fora and we cant treat posters differently based on who they support.

I would love if there was a Villa forum but I know I have to (and do) accept there wont be one. Instead im wondering if there is anything related to this soccer board which can improved upon as that we can have influence over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Where is the Chelsea forum?

Giving each club individual forums would ruin this forum anyways, so I am completely against it. Go to whatever Irish supporter site there is for your club, or set it up yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

I never knew there was the Chelsea one, when did that start?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

By all means complain about it, but why would you give us feedback on something where there's nothing we can do either way?
    RasTa wrote: »
    I got a week ban for one, guess I'm the only poster.

From memory, I believe so.

So this Chelsea Supporters Group isn't only a place for Chelsea fans, but it seems to be completely private too? Are all social groups turned into forums like this? or was this trying to be hidden?

It was only ones considered active when the groups were removed as part of boards.

I was always under the impression that certain disgruntled fans of both Liverpool and Manchester United had set up their own "Social Groups", and I was always under the impression that they were fairly active.

Obviously not.

It was only ones considered active when the groups were removed as part of boards.

Why is it private?

• Advertisement

I was always under the impression that certain disgruntled fans of both Liverpool and Manchester United had set up their own "Social Groups", and I was always under the impression that they were fairly active.

Obviously not.

According to Zaph, they were not. But I know nothing more than what's in the thread I linked to earlier.
    SantryRed wrote: »
    Why is it private?

Presumeably because it had been a private social group before.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Just about sums up the SF Mod team from about 2004 onwards.

Glad to see the current crop are keeping her lit anyway.

That's not fair and you know it, no point in having a big long discussion in here about something the soccer mods have no control over. It will distract the thread and nothing can be done about it.

Presumeably because it had been a private social group before.

How does one go about getting access so?

It being private and as if it isn't even here is a joke. No doubt the people who weren't even properly partaking in the social group have now been given access to this private forum. What a joke that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

It being private and as if it isn't even here is a joke. No doubt the people who weren't even properly partaking in the social group have now been given access to this private forum. What a joke that is.

Just out of curiosity, why does it bother you so much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, why does it bother you so much?

Because it has constantly being said here for years, that the Spurs Supporters group was an exception due to it being made years ago. Now this Chelsea one pops up, nothing is said about it anywhere and by the looks of it, not many knew about it, and just because it's a social group isn't really the best of excuses. And the more I look at some threads, I do see a lack of posts from usual Chelsea fans. I'm also pretty confused as to why it is private?
    Phoenix wrote: »
    What has the Chelsea Supporters Group got to do with soccer forum anyway?

It clearly has a lot to do with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Didn't know there was a Chelsea forum created. Pity, puts a huge hole in my side of the argument on this particular issue. People are fooling themselves if they think those two forums don't detract from the soccer forum.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,702 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Just to be clear the Spurs and Chelsea forums have nothing to do with the Soccer Forum. Neither the Soccer Mods nor Sports CMods have any responsibility for them. There is therefore little point in discussing them here - the Feedback Forum would be the appropriate place for such discussion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,905 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

If it's that big a taboo subject then maybe the mods can address some of the other points that have been raised as feedback, these sub forums aren't the only thing to have been mentioned so far.

Also, taking the issue to Feedback would be pointless as we already know the admins don't give a sh*t, that's evidenced by the creation of the Chelsea forum.

What is the general impression of the card-to-ban system developed in the last update?
    Aidric wrote: »
    work email address? :eek:That's pretty dedicated.

An email is sent to the email you sign up with, so not necessarily a work address.

I would generally consult my email account for very busy periods where there are hoardes of reported posts which swamps the normal on-site system (for example, a particularly contentious matchthread or breaking news).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

So this Chelsea Supporters Group isn't only a place for Chelsea fans, but it seems to be completely private too? Are all social groups turned into forums like this? or was this trying to be hidden?

I'm in a few of these smaller groups. There was a LOI group a while ago when there was a real trolling and modding problem. That has been rectified and I don't want to come across as a lick-árse so I'll leave that there.

I'm in a Libertarian one because any time a Libertarian thread was started in politics sections the usual responses were "You far right bástard you want to watch the poor starve".

Left-Wing republicans have one as any time a thread was started the usual responses were "You're all a bunch of murdering thugs" etc.

These hosted private forums allow discourse and discussion without the risk of outrageous trolling.

The Spurs forum seems to be different as it was around for years. The GAE and the Chelsea one however seem a bit irrelevant. Why are there forums for these? Surely it can just be done in the main thread.

At the same time complaining to the mods here is like giving the 18 year-old cashier an ear-full because you disagree with the price of the groceries while he zaps them through. It's pointless, it písses off everyone, it slows down the whole process and it doesn't make you look like the soundest person in the world.

The reason I have a problem is because I am strongly against these sub forums occurring. It will ruin this forum if this is to occur several times. That's why I am questioning it.

Admins have shown many many times that they don't give a shiney crap about this forum Leeds fan or not, the very fact that a Chelsea sub forum was created under a loophole says it all tbh.

It's not what you know, it's who you know and it'd red tape that matters on Boards, not the people just procedure and profit.

I feel sorry for some of the Soccer Mods.

/Hi admins

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,702 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The point I am making is very little will come of discussing those other forums here as we have no say on them. The way to get the Admins attention on the matter, as I've already alluded to, is via the Feedback Forum

From what I understand though I would be very surprised if any more such forums were allowed to be created (certainly not public like the Spurs one - not sure about the Chelsea one as I cannot access it and therefore have no idea what goes on there - There used to be a United Supporters Group IIRC which was a complete ghost town - for all I know the Chelsea one may have gone the same way)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

From the links that have been put up it doesn't look like there is any point approaching the admins about it because their attitude is 'f*ck you it's staying'.

Is there any difficulty in closing forums?...because using the reason 'it's been there a long time so we are not going to change it' is stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

If the supporters group is so active while the super thread, and match thread are fairly inactive then that shows it should be closed.

Who cares if there's a Spurs or Chelsea forum?

There's life outside boards ffs, plenty of sites for fan only forums . Personally I avoid them, they are overloaded with helmets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

dfx- wrote: »
    What is the general impression of the card-to-ban system developed in the last update

Works quite well IMO. I've fallen foul of it during the season gone and it has me thinking twice before posting now.
    It's also encouraged me to make use of the ignore function which makes this forum so much easier to handle.

Suppose it all comes down to consistency for me. It's not nice seeing somebody get away with saying something you have been infracted for or know you would be infracted for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Phoenix wrote: »
    :confused:
    The CSG has had no effect on the Chelsea super thread or any match threads whats so ever

I suppose both of you could easily divide your time between the two forums.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

So would someone be infracted for saying 'the larger ronaldo' 'plump ronaldo' 'rotund ronaldo' 'older ronaldo' 'lighter skinned ronaldo' 'the footballer formerly known as fat ronaldo' or 'skinny ronaldo' etc?

what is the difference in saying one of the above than saying 'Rooney is fat' 'Anderson looks like he's had a few pies' etc?

If a few of the mods could answer this please.

Still waiting on some feedback here guys. No panic just said i'd quote in case it slipped past.
    Even if he or any of the other mods fully agree here (and you make a decent point), what can they do? as stated we have no influence over the creation or removal of these fora and we cant treat posters differently based on who they support.

I would love if there was a Villa forum but I know I have to (and do) accept there wont be one. Instead im wondering if there is anything related to this soccer board which can improved upon as that we can have influence over

Cheers for the response. Put it this way if an issue was causing alot of problems in a feedback thread on one of my music forums, i'd pass it along to the C-mods and Admins and says 'x issue is causing hassle' could you pop into the thread and clear it up. Basically pass it along the chain. But i accept that music and soccer may have different methods of operation.

In general i post less and less on boards for various reasons, twitter prob being the main one. But in soccer the only cards i get are when a rules changed and i missed the update. The ban on the 'are you done' thread being the latest.

I find posters getting 'upset' over fat ronaldo using it as a way to get posters cards and bans.

I'd also be inclinced to ignore someone reporting posts in threads they don't post in. For example if a united poster kept reporting posts in liverpool threads or vice versa.

Overall you can see soccer levelling out with the posters it doesn't suit leaving or getting banned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Any chance of getting rid of this nonsense http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1138 ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Who cares if there's a Spurs or Chelsea forum?

There's life outside boards ffs, plenty of sites for fan only forums . Personally I avoid them, they are overloaded with helmets.

You are missing the point. The more boards splits and goes down this road the more it becomes just like the fan specific sites. Fan specific sites have there place but are by there very nature partisan I should know I run one.

Boards on the other hand is a melting pot, this brings its only problem's but has many pros. Take this melting pot element out of boards and I ( and I am sure many many more) would not really have a reason to post here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Quoting a post and writing "Yawn" underneath it (Like THFC's post earlier in this thread) should be seriously considered as being a deliberately provocative post.

I can't be the only one who despises it. Plenty of better ways to get across a point without being a dick.

Still waiting on some feedback here guys. No panic just said i'd quote in case it slipped past.

My feedback would be to not use any of them if you are in doubt. Just call him Ronaldo.
    Works quite well IMO. I've fallen foul of it during the season gone and it has me thinking twice before posting now.
    It's also encouraged me to make use of the ignore function which makes this forum so much easier to handle.

Thanks for the response. Do you feel a ban for two yellows or one red is too harsh or about right to make you think twice as you say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

dfx- wrote: »
    Thanks for the response. Do you feel a ban for two yellows or one red is too harsh or about right to make you think twice as you say?
    No problem with the red cards.
    I do think yellows are dished out too easily at times. Especially with the culminating effect they now have.

My second yellow was for genuinely missing a mod note on thread by going straight to the last post and I did feel hard done by tbh. That situation is a bit of a grey area to me, maybe a warning without a card for stuff like that or not have them count towards a ban.
    No problem taking it on the chin for abuse or being a dick or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Knex. wrote: »
    Quoting a post and writing "Yawn" underneath it (Like THFC's post earlier in this thread) should be seriously considered as being a deliberately provocative post.

I can't be the only one who despises it. Plenty of better ways to get across a point without being a dick.

Agree, I'd also add the phrase "tldr" to that. Simple rule, if you're not interested in the topic being discussed, your input is not required

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Knex. wrote: »

The last time I quoted a post and wrote "Yawn" beneath it it got 19 thanks including one from yourself and when I wrote it I wasn't being deliberately provocative at all.

If the same poster comes in every few days to write exactly the same thing(I'll give you 1 guess...you wont need 3) then sometimes only "Yawn" will do :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

The last time I quoted a post and wrote "Yawn" beneath it it got 19 thanks including one from yourself and when I wrote it I wasn't being deliberately provocative at all.

If the same poster comes in every few days to write exactly the same thing(I'll give you 1 guess...you wont need 3) then sometimes only "Yawn" will do :)

Yeah, I remember that now that you say it. To be fair, that was after numerous days of the thread going around and around in circles with the same lines being pushed and nothing being listened to or reasoned with. And like you said, it actually wasn't used in a provocative way either, whereas mostly when I see it used it is.

Still, I'd prefer, even with hindsight, to get rid of it completely as its impossible to police it if we allow it in some scenarios and not in others.

Dub13 wrote: »
    You are missing the point. The more boards splits and goes down this road the more it becomes just like the fan specific sites. Fan specific sites have there place but are by there very nature partisan I should know I run one.

Boards on the other hand is a melting pot, this brings its only problem's but has many pros. Take this melting pot element out of boards and I ( and I am sure many many more) would not really have a reason to post here.

That's always been my view on the subject too tbh. I wouldn't be in favour for sub forums for clubs tbh. You'd lose some decent posts from fans of other clubs.

My point was the Spurs forum always gets brought up every feedback thread, it's nausiating tbh.

Any chance of getting rid of this nonsense http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1138 ?
    I did ask the Admins about this several months ago - I guess it's low down the priority list. Given no-one's actively posting it may be that they simply thinking it's doing no harm (there's a backlog on the new forum requests which I think is higher priority)

I understand they are looking at how things are categorised across Boards (although Sports are unlikely to be affected in any material way) and I guess that if things are restructured that would be an opportunity to tidy up some of the "dead" forums

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Beasty wrote: »
    I did ask the Admins about this several months ago - I guess it's low down the priority list. Given no-one's actively posting it may be that they simply thinking it's doing no harm (there's a backlog on the new forum requests which I think is higher priority)

I understand they are looking at how things are categorised across Boards (although Sports are unlikely to be affected in any material way) and I guess that if things are restructured that would be an opportunity to tidy up some of the "dead" forums

It's less than five minute's work to remove it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement