Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Feedback Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I disagree.

How many posts does it take to be consistent?

What if I find someones posts idiotic yet the majority find them good. Can I tell them their posts are stupid?

yeah, you can.

but you might look stupid if they're not posting stupid stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Why would you worry about people seeing your reported post unless you were only doing it as a wind up or were disingenuous in your reporting.

I'll try to explain this as best as I can because even I'm not entirely sure why it doesn't sit right with me and I'm not sure it's entirely logical.

Reporting people can feel like a bit of an underhanded act at times, for me anyway. I've no problem reporting someone for posting a spoiler in a film thread or posting something dodgy, for example.

But when someone is being a bit nasty to a fellow poster and seemingly gets away with it or you notice a trend with a certain poster that breaches the charter but they never seem to get pulled up on it, you don't want to come across as a bit of a Maud Flanders if the mods haven't taken action. I completely get that reporting posts helps you guys out and helps the forum to run in a smoother fashion, I'm just trying to rationalise my earlier statement.

Knowing that it is not just the football mods that can see these reported posts, but mods from a plethora of other forums who are ordinary posters in the SF who regularly engage with people in heated debates, and they are passing judgement like Nuri did earlier (really not meaning to single you out here fella, your post is just a reference point) it makes me less likely to highlight some of that other stuff.

I have only ever reported, at most, 2 or 3 posts on this whole site - I'm sure you guys can check - so I don't think I am the type to waste people's time with nonsense point scoring reporting, yet it still doesn't sit well with me. If other section mods are considered to be normal posters here, they should have the same privileges as the other normal posters.

Anyway, I don't expect any changes or anything like that, just felt I should qualify my original point, considering it's a feedback thread and all :)

• Site Banned Posts: 280 ✭✭Dr_Brian_Cocks

SlickRic wrote: »
    yeah, you can.

but you might look stupid if they're not posting stupid stuff.

Yeah but then other people jump on your back.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    You are allowed to attack posts.

It depends.

I remember getting a yellow a few years ago for attacking a post.

Also how is saying someones posts are sh-it attacking the post. I think that's attacking the poster.

Attacking the post would be saying why it's a bad post imo.

While I'm here, I think we could do without the "That post is stupid\retarded\rubbish" posts we get. It's just a way around the card system and adds very little other than to antagonise the other poster. If you disagree; explain why, if you can't be arsed to explain why; ignore the post.

I don't think it's a big issue in the SF tbf.

I'm assuming that if you say a post is shíte, you're explaining why.

otherwise, yes, that would be tedious.

That's what I was saying. The post I quoted yesterday was all that was in the post.

Even still, what is it adding, other than antagonising the other poster? I mean, I'm guilty of it as well, I just think it's a way around the system. Call someone an idiot: that's not cool. Call someone's thought process idiotic: that's cool. Despite them being the exact same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

Even still, what is it adding, other than antagonising the other poster? I mean, I'm guilty of it as well, I just think it's a way around the system. Call someone an idiot: that's not cool. Call someone's thought process idiotic: that's cool. Despite them being the exact same thing.

sometimes, of course, it is a way around the system.

but I do think you should be allowed to call a statement stupid. i don't think it's quite the same as calling a poster stupid. IMO of course. it adds a bit of weight behind your disagreement with the point being made. it's not necessary per se, but I don't see it as a big issue tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Bring back SpiritOfTheSeventies!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

lordgoat wrote: »
    You might have missed it earlier in thread Beasty have his opinion on the whole fat ronaldo issue. Doesn't clear everything up but does give a bit more clarification on what you can and can't say.

Yeah I saw that. Beasty gave a good effort at explaining a possible thought process. But he's not a SF mod so his opinions and thought processes aren't the ones that matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

There is one poster who uses this loophole all the time. And gets away with it all the time.

"That's a stupid post"

Stop being such a coward tbh.
    SantryRed wrote: »
    Bring back SpiritOfTheSeventies!!
    Amazing scenes.
    Pro. F wrote: »
    Yeah I saw that. Beasty gave a good effort at explaining a possible thought process. But he's not a SF mod so his opinions and thought processes aren't the ones that matter.

Beasty is a Sports CMod, so is the "boss"of the SF Mods. His opinion absolutely matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

darced wrote: »

Of course it needs to be explained. You do not like it but it is a useful tool for mods to establish patterns of behaviour and it can be useful to see if someone is acting the tool across several forums for example in the soccer forum where we look at a users history and the posts he reports and has reported. It can be used to see if someone really is following a poster around and just reporting for the sake of it too. It can be a very useful tool for mods. What use would it be to a user? Why do you think it is useful for a user to know who reported their posts. Many reported posts receive no sanction, why would the fact that your post was reported annoy you?

So yes, I think it does need to be explained.

darced wrote: »

The admins on that thread fully explained everything. Why the need to ask the same questions again? :confused:

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

These posts shouldn't be allowed. It doesn't belong in that thread and its clearly trying to wind someone up.

These posts shouldn't be allowed. It doesn't belong in that thread and its clearly trying to wind someone up.

if that's winding someone up, then that someone needs to get out more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

If you ban posts like that then I honestly would leave this forum fairly sharpish, as would many others I would think.

That's harmless in all fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Because its not really anybody else's business.
    The person you are reporting could get onto a mod they get on well with through pm to find out who it was. If it's a mod they can just check themselves.

I'm not saying it's common practice but it would be naive to think it doesn't go on at all.

I would be almost certain K9 knows who reported the post he was referring to earlier in this thread if he was bothered enough to mention which posts got infracted and which ones didn't, even if it's just out of curiosity. I'd do the same myself.

100% honest, no, I was only going on the visible cards handed out on the thread. I've 2 busy enough forums to mod without reading reported posts about this forum.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

if that's winding someone up, then that someone needs to get out more.

Obviously, but its a video of a completely unrelated player didn't that belong in that thread. Nothing good to come from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

rarnes1 wrote: »
    The admins on that thread fully explained everything. Why the need to ask the same questions again? :confused:

Meh, they provided their perception or opinion on the Reported Posts forum. The opposing view doesn't go away on that basis though.

There is one poster who uses this loophole all the time. And gets away with it all the time.

"That's a stupid post"

Big bad brave posting like this will surely show us the way after all.

Beasty is a Sports CMod, so is the "boss"of the SF Mods. His opinion absolutely matters.

He's not the one who is going to be interpreting the charter and handing out the cards and when it comes down to it that's what will matter most imo.

"That's a stupid post"

There's nothing brave about getting yourself carded for breaking the rules. And you're doing the same thing in your own way here yourself - expressing annoyance while staying just within the rules. Your hypocrisy is funny.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Pro. F wrote: »
    He's not the one who is going to be interpreting the charter and handing out the cards and when it comes down to it that's what will matter most imo.

He is part of the team who reviews any Dispute Resolutions. He can recommend to rescind them after a review of the charter and post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,905 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Bit of a suggestion off the back of the transfers thread today.

I was partly responsible for a fair bit of off topic posting which is fair enough but seeing a lot of debate just deleted is pretty annoying.

We have an off topic thread about day to day stuff but why not one for situations like that where the thread gets taken off topic but there is still discussion and debate going on? The posts can be moved rather than thrashed and the back and forth can continue away from the thread in which it started without pissing off others who don't want to read it.

We're on a discussion forum and topics evolve through debate so instead of stifling that debate with mod warnings and deletions, move the posts to a thread and let the chat run its course because it always does in the end.

• Advertisement

dfx- wrote: »
    He is part of the team who reviews any Dispute Resolutions. He can recommend to rescind them after a review of the charter and post.

I understand that.

Going to the DRP is a pain in the hole and lots of posters won't bother. Even when they do bother the CMods and Admins are making a big call to overturn a mod's decision. So, in theory a CMod's interpretation of the charter is more important, but in practice the forum mods' interpretion is the one posters will interact with more often.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Bit of a suggestion off the back of the transfers thread today.

I was partly responsible for a fair bit of off topic posting which is fair enough but seeing a lot of debate just deleted is pretty annoying.

We have an off topic thread about day to day stuff but why not one for situations like that where the thread gets taken off topic but there is still discussion and debate going on? The posts can be moved rather than thrashed and the back and forth can continue away from the thread in which it started without pissing off others who don't want to read it.

We're on a discussion forum and topics evolve through debate so instead of stifling that debate with mod warnings and deletions, move the posts to a thread and let the chat run its course because it always does in the end.

Hey Xavi, that was me and straight off the bat that was my intention (to move the conversations to where they were on topic), sh!t IRL has come up since I had a chance to clean up the thread though so I havent had a chance to move the Tevez stuff to the City thread etc just yet but do still plan to do so as I am aware it can be annoying to have posts you spent time on just deleted and I'm sure you are aware from your time as a mod those posts can still be accessed and are not fully deleted.

However some of the off topic stuff from that thread will not find a new home as it was just going round in circles argueing with people seemingly playing out that old joke from the Simpsons about not agreeing to disagree

Hey Xavi, that was me and straight off the bat that was my intention (to move the conversations to where they were on topic), sh!t IRL has come up since I had a chance to clean up the thread though so I havent had a chance to move the Tevez stuff to the City thread etc just yet but do still plan to do so as I am aware it can be annoying to have posts you spent time on just deleted and I'm sure you are aware from your time as a mod those posts can still be accessed and are not fully deleted.

However some of the off topic stuff from that thread will not find a new home as it was just going round in circles argueing with people seemingly playing out that old joke from the Simpsons about not agreeing to disagree

I was just using that as an example but the general point without specifics is something I meant to mention before.

If a topic strays wildly, shift the posts to an off topic thread and let the discussion continue/run its course.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I was just using that as an example but the general point without specifics is something I meant to mention before.

If a topic strays wildly, shift the posts to an off topic thread and let the discussion continue/run its course.

still going to move them as said though as it was the plan and isnt just happened as you mentioned it.

So year after year after year the subject of posters who troll within the lines is brought to the mod team's attention and year after year after year nothing changes. One of the most text book examples of dishonest 'within the rules' trolling is dominating the forum right now. The fact that he is a troll has been proven, and yet nothing is done. Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you Andersonisgod:
    Goal! Goal! Goal! Morata. Wonderful solo goal, power, intelligence, pace, technique all on show. It will take something superhuman to stop Spain winning this tournament. A country with a style of football that has swept all before them at all levels.
    Klim wrote: »
    Hey Anderson, I notice you are quite the Barcelona aficionado now.

Have you stopped being a Real Madrid fan altogether now then?
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    You must, must, must have a quote to go with this post...
    I have no problem complimenting Madrid players. Morata for example deserves a lot of praise, he is an excellent player.

However it's never been a secret that I've got huge admiration for how Barcelona, and by extension Spain, play the game. I strongly believe it is the right way and I believe Barcelona and Spain as a whole deserve a lot of admiration for how they approach the game and how they develop their players.
    So, you were never a Madrid fan, even as recent as two years ago.....
    Ehh not to my knowledge. Like I said I've no desire to talk down Madrid and actually I thought they were excellent a couple of seasons ago (which is reflected in their points total and goals scored) however I've always had a strong belief in how Barcelona play, if you want proof I have quotes from as far back as last year I think.
    Oat23 wrote: »
    Deliver man, deliver.

We need proof.
    Let me refresh your memory then.

http://www.heavenisfootball.co.uk/

(Link won't take me directly to your thread. Click on European Leagues/La Liga/Real Madrid.)

by AndersonisGod72 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:11 pm

Ok this is the thread for the greatest club in Spain, Real Madrid.
    Wow I remember that, and yes I stand by it. At the the time they led the league, they were playing some absolutely sublime football (they would of course go on to win La Liga with a record points total and a record goals total that very season)

My only other comment on the thread is this.

Last night Madrid maintained their lead over Barcelona with a 1-0 victory away to Sociedad, Higuain's goal seperated the sides. Not really the free flowing stuff we have seen from Madrid lately but they left with the 3 points and that's what counts, the standout performer was Sergio Ramos, filling in at centre back in place of the injured Ricardo Carvalho, he has been excellent.

Not very rare, I comment on quite a few games I watch. I will also be watching Netherlands vs Italy tonight so you can expect a few more comments like that, later I will watch Brazil vs Japan on delay too, where again more comments like this will follow.

I also maintain that I am not a hugely biased football fan. Like any football fan I am biased, I have preferences and maybe that sometimes reflects in my posts and opinions however I've never had a problem complimenting and praising other clubs or players from other clubs, also Ricardo Carvalho is my all time favourite defender.
    You mean this thread? http://www.heavenisfootball.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=2632

I thought he was a Chelsea fan / Barca fan (2 clubs that have a history of not liking each other) but that does look like he is a madrid fan :eek:
    You were a Madrid fan, you argued with everyone during the fiery EL Classicos against Barca backing up Madrid. Funny as hell seeing you on here pontificating all things Barca.

That's not to mention the time you 'pretended' to be a United fan for a while a few years back.

Give it up.
    CSF wrote: »
    Tell me you haven't been googling usernames..........
    If you mean me, I haven't, I was on the other forum for a while and recognised the name, not the Barca fandom though funnily enough.
    I've probably called Falcao the best striker in the world, it does not mean I am a Monaco fan. Only a few weeks ago on here I called Guardiola the best manager in the world, it doesn't mean I am now a Bayern Munich fan. I simply call it as I see it at the time.

Also the situation on that particular forum was a very complex one. I had alot of issues with a lot of things on it and, for the most part, the vast majority of my comments were entirely untruthful and were posted with an agenda. I honestly don't want to clog up this thread with those issues or my reasoning behind such bizzare (if you are on the outside looking in) posts, if anyone wants to discuss any of them with me I'd gladly answer you through PM.

I will happily give credit where it is due. Andersonisagod is one of the finest trolls I've seen in my time. He's skillfully made himself center of attention and gradually upped the ante a little at a time. His needlessly verbose exhaltings of every Spain / Barcelona goal, win and player are tiresome and the negative reaction they generate are serving to ruin threads. He's done well to create this situation:
    Nuts102 wrote: »
    Andersonisgod in 3,2,1

But it's time to do the right thing.

Might as well put that post in the Moments of the Year thread then lock her up.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

And he would have gotten away with it, if it weren't for you meddling kids

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Goal! Goal! Goal! from Luckylloyd after some superb play by all involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Jesus you would not want to take ****e in this place cause ye will find out weight of it.

Then again if you push the boat.

amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

:D

that post is up there with the one about the guy getting caught fiddling, lying/boasting about his on-line gambling wins.

10/10 to Klim & Lloyd.

and to think Gav actually stepped in yesterday and defended this guy.

that is what you get Gav for being so nice :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Obviously I'm going to defend myself so here it goes.

To the best of my knowledge none of you were on the sky sports forum or the two subsequent break away forums. Therefore you lack both perspective and context.

I did claim to be a Man Utd fan in the Sky Sports Forum, I'd be on a couple of other football forums beforehand and had a theory that Man Utd fans dominated both forums. I simply put my theory to the test for a few months. I'm not a great actor and my bias towards Chelsea became pretty clear (in particular Drogba) and I admitted to being a Chelsea fan and everyone got on with their lives.

The forum was shut down, a new forum was made and then a subsuquent forum. By this stage I'd developed a strong dislike of certain members on this forum, in particular one who happened to be a Newcastle, AC Milan and Barcelona fan. In reality, I am also a Barcelona fan. So I did talk up Madrid purely to annoy him as he did me in practically every second post he made. The situation from here to there is worlds apart, the modding on all three of those forums was woefully bad (this guy was a mod on one of them) and because we had all been on the same forum together for like two years, we knew each other and in certain cases disliked each other.

This forum I knew nobody. I kept the username, again because I have no problem telling people about this. The modding on this forum is generally excellent and, in my part at least, it's kept a poisonous atmosphere off thr forum. On the other forum there was all manner of personal insults, the worst it's gotten here is someone taking pictures of my Xbox profile and posting it on boards. My point is I have no strong dislike of anybody here. The other massive difference from my time on those three forums is that on this one I admit to being a Chelsea fan and Barcelona admirer (again anyone whose met me in real life could probably back up that those claims are true) on the other forum my allegiance were dictated by curiosity and a vendetta, this time I'm simply supporting who I actually support, therefore this claim that I am a troll is ridiculous.

I said it last night, I'll say it again. Up until my final post I barely said a thing in that match thread last night. If any poster of mod has the patience to read back through it they will see my username being brought up time and time again, more often than not in an attempt to goad me. When Spain win and my support is justified and I finally respond, I am suddenly the villain? Last night I was made a topic of discussion and of goading on that thread long before the final penalty was struck. So in this case, who is truly the wum, the vindicated poster talking only about football? Or the posters trying to goad that poster into an argument from the start of the game to its finish.

Like I also said, maybe I will try to be less passionate in future if it means less AIG talk. A troll is someone who wants these mindless discussions, mainly about himself, I don't. I purely want to talk about football.

therefore this claim that I am a troll is ridiculous.

That's the thing though, it isn't ridiculous because you've just admitted to being a troll on two other forums.

Why would anyone believe this is any different?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I like Anderson, I wouldn't even call him a troll he is that consistent when it comes to discussing Barca. I also like the reactions from other posters towards him, not sure why everybody gets so riled up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Last night I was made a topic of discussion and of goading on that thread long before the final penalty was struck. So in this case, who is truly the wum, the vindicated poster talking only about football? Or the posters trying to goad that poster into an argument from the start of the game to its finish.

You made yourself a topic of discussion with the simply ridiculous argument that Italy were playing reactive football.

That's the thing though, it isn't ridiculous because you've just admitted to being a troll on two other forums.

Why would anyone believe this is any different?

You know I've met a few people from Boards, they will have noticed my considerable array of Chelsea jerseys and Barca jerseys. They'll also have noticed that I do watch a lot of La Liga, in particular Barcelona and will know that I rarely miss a Chelsea game. So either I am the most dedicated troll in the world, spending do much time watching Spain under 19, under 20, under 21, senior team, almost all of Barcelona's games, almost all of Chelsea's games, getting Chelsea TV, getting their jerseys every season, watching a good amount of next gen Chelsea games, being a Chelsea and Barcelona fan with people I meet, so either I am doing all of this to convince you and people on this forum that I am a Chelsea fan and Barcelona admirer in an effort to troll you (in which case I'm a ridiculously dedicated troll) or I am what I say I am.

keith16 wrote: »
    You made yourself a topic of discussion with the simply ridiculous argument that Italy were playing reactive football.

The first half, when I made that comment by the way, they were playing reactive football. That's not a slight or a dig, it's a fact. Italian football, with it's cattenaccio, has long been based on reactive football. I'm not sure how anyone can debate that in a first half where Spain had over 60% of the ball that Italy were playing reactively and in the counter.

I also said that for the majority of the second half Spain were playing reactively but you r conveniently left that out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

There will always be a doubt now.
    The Conspiracey theory thread would be proud of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Very first point in this thread.
    No constant scapegoating of individual posters. This isn't to turn into a witch hunt against posters you don't like. If you need to make a specific example to back up a more general point that's fine, but constantly singling out individual users as your sole point isn't on.

• Advertisement

If you don't believe me I'll post a load of pictures of me in various Chelsea jerseys in all different parts of the world (ala gnome in Amelie). If you still don't believe me you will see me comment during Spain's under 20 WC games and Chelsea's pre season games, if you still don't believe me then I implore you, simply ignore me. There's an ignore list that people can use.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement