Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glycerol+water cooling

Options
  • 14-06-2013 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I'm thinking of setting up my pc with a water cooling setup but i'm wondering if I could/should add glycerol to the mix.

From what i've read about glycerol it's an anti-freeze but also a boiling point inhibitor for water i.e allows water to reach temps >100C without boiling at normal pressure.

Has anyone else tried this before or heard of any boiling point inhibitors that could be used instead??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I wouldn't add anything to it. Pure distilled water is the best stuff you can use. The water should never come close to boiling point.

I'd only add a silver coil to reduce bacteria in the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

^That. If the water gets above around 45°C, your components will have fried already, so there's not really any point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

From my BMS days, I know Ethylene glycol is used in Low temp commercial chillers and ice banks, have done controls for a few. The glycol is added to allow the chillers to drop temps up to -15 without the water freezing. Bit over kill for a PC though.:)

Advertisement