Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weather Myth?

Options
  • 14-06-2013 8:37pm
    Site Banned Posts: 51 ✭✭

I was told by a few people that the perception of Canada being a cold country is a myth. Is this true? How do you find the weather there? Is it much different from Ireland? I'm reluctant to move there because of the whole snow thing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

There are actual seasons in Canada. It's been in the mid 20s for the last few weeks here in Toronto, and it'll get hotter as we move towards August/mid-September. It gets cold from about mid December to mid-February, and on paper it's REALLY cold. You'll get close to -30 with the wind chill at times, but it's a different kind of cold. I was back in Ireland in Feb this year and it was -2 there, but it felt much, much colder than the -15 I'd left in Toronto.

It snows a fair bit over the winter months, but the country is well able for it - it's not like ireland where 2 inches of snow shuts everywhere. You could have a foot of snow overnight and the roads are clear by the time the morning rolls around.

If you go somewhere like Vancouver, you'll get a very similar climate to Ireland with lots of rain. It gets a fair bit hotter in summer, but it doesn't get to the 40s like it does in Toronto at times

• Site Banned Posts: 51 ✭✭Plastic Sheeting

COYVB wrote: »
    There are actual seasons in Canada. It's been in the mid 20s for the last few weeks here in Toronto, and it'll get hotter as we move towards August/mid-September. It gets cold from about mid December to mid-February, and on paper it's REALLY cold. You'll get close to -30 with the wind chill at times, but it's a different kind of cold. I was back in Ireland in Feb this year and it was -2 there, but it felt much, much colder than the -15 I'd left in Toronto.

It snows a fair bit over the winter months, but the country is well able for it - it's not like ireland where 2 inches of snow shuts everywhere. You could have a foot of snow overnight and the roads are clear by the time the morning rolls around.

If you go somewhere like Vancouver, you'll get a very similar climate to Ireland with lots of rain. It gets a fair bit hotter in summer, but it doesn't get to the 40s like it does in Toronto at times

So you're guaranteed a good summer then? I could live with that. Unlike Ireland where you're guaranteed nothing but a chance of rain.

Would Toronto be similar to weather in Boston and New York?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

it would probably be hotter with less rain, as its not near the ocean

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭rusheen

Your reluctant to move to Canada because of snow ?
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

In the praries where we are it can get down to -30s with a lot of snow this year.
    Any windy day it may as well be snowing it just blows and blows.
    If you want to live in Canada with no snow try Vancouver its got the most temperate of the climates

• Advertisement

rusheen wrote: »
    Your reluctant to move to Canada because of snow ?
    :D

Whats so funny? If you through in long dark evenings like Ireland I wouldn't even consider it.

Whats so funny? If you through in long dark evenings like Ireland I wouldn't even consider it.

Nights are as long here as Ireland maybe a bit longer of anything

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Tiddlers

I was told by a few people that the perception of Canada being a cold country is a myth. Is this true? How do you find the weather there? Is it much different from Ireland? I'm reluctant to move there because of the whole snow thing.

Is there a particular part of Canada you're interested in? The weather variation here is not comparable to Cork and Dublin; it's probably more like comparing Cork and Lisbon.

I can only speak for Vancouver and in the city we got pretty much the same type and amount of snow you would expect in Ireland this year. The summer has been pretty much like Ireland so far. Jacket and umbrellas out pretty much every day this week.

What are you basing your snowy perceptions on?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 snowguy

Vancouver is a bit like Ireland, winters are wet and dreary, but summers would be a bit better than Ireland ( I'm in Edmonton
    not Van, so not %100 sure)
    In Edmonton, winters get down to -30, if there is sun and no wind, it's not bad. A cold damp night with -2 in Ireland 'feels' worse. Spring/ fall are short. Summers are usually nice, high 20's even 30's. Let's put it this way, it does not rain as much, and you can
    typically plan outdoor activities without too much worry of a rain out. During the summer months, sitting outside on a patio enjoying a few beers
    with some friends, you almost forget about the winter :-)

One of the most brutal winter mornings I remember was back in 2007/8. The bus could not make it up the river valley because it was so cold and
    icy they could not get traction. We had to get off, and walk up a set of stairs that took about 2 mins. It was -35, 7AM, dark. Got to the office
    about 4 mins after that, red face, tears in my eyes and hands ready to fall off.

Toronto gets warmer/ hotter/ more humid summers, but their winters are not as long and cold.
    Newfoundland would also be a bit like Ireland.

As somebody said above, the further you get away from the coast, the wider range of temperatures you'll get.

The thing I do not miss about Ireland is the wind and rain, and many times all in one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭montreal2011

-5 in Ireland is colder than -15 in Montréal! :pac: I don't know how or why, but it is!

The days are longer in Ireland though as it's at a higher latitude; June / July in Ireland and you can have daylight til after 11pm, wheras in Montréal it would be more like 10pm.

They handle the extreme weather very well here, so snow is not a big deal for the most part, and it's better than rain IMO.

Pick up some winter sports and you will look forward to the snow and ice. In summer you will actually get to see the sun for months on end.

If you are lucky enough to get the opportunity to live in Canada you should take it; it ain't perfect, but it's as close as you'll get!

• Advertisement

Tiddlers wrote: »
    Is there a particular part of Canada you're interested in? The weather variation here is not comparable to Cork and Dublin; it's probably more like comparing Cork and Lisbon.

I can only speak for Vancouver and in the city we got pretty much the same type and amount of snow you would expect in Ireland this year. The summer has been pretty much like Ireland so far. Jacket and umbrellas out pretty much every day this week.

What are you basing your snowy perceptions on?

Montreal sounds interesting because they speak French. I'd like the opportunity to learn it.
    I'm basing my perceptions on Ice Hockey being their national sport. :pac:

Montreal sounds interesting because they speak French. I'd like the opportunity to learn it.
    I'm basing my perceptions on Ice Hockey being their national sport. :pac:

Lacrosse is actually their official national sport apparently. Little tidbit of useless information there for you courtesy of my Canadian wife. Before lacross, it was cricket

Regarding the Montreal thing because of French, I can only speak from personal experience, but they're very ignorant to non speakers in Quebec, and their French is a bastardized version of actual French. Although if you do speak the language it's supposed to be a fantastic place. Very arty and European

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭ician

Lacrosse is actually their official national sport apparently. Little tidbit of useless information there for you courtesy of my Canadian wife. Before lacross, it was cricket

Regarding the Montreal thing because of French, I can only speak from personal experience, but they're very ignorant to non speakers in Quebec, and their French is a bastardized version of actual French. Although if you do speak the language it's supposed to be a fantastic place. Very arty and European

Not really a fair representation of Quebec, especially Montreal. Large numbers of English speakers here, and most French speakers will be more than happy to switch to english when speaking to you, they appreciate some effort to speak french though, like anywhere. Tiny minority are dickheads about the whole french thing, nothing you'd encounter daily. A similar small minority of Canadians from other provinces have horrible attitudes and misconceptions towards Quebecois people, encountered this today in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Theimprover

What about Saskatoon?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 snowguy

Saskatoon is in Saskatchewan, not entirely sure. I'm guessing that is might be slightly warm summers, but slightly colder
    winters.

It gets a bit academic at some point, anything less that -20 is freaking cold, and anything greater that mid 20's is great.

I've been to Vegas in the summer a few times, and enjoyed the +40. It's all different when you have to live and work versus
    visiting a place for a holiday. On balance, having the seasons is a bonus. It does force you to appreciate each season for
    what it is.

At the moment, I'm looking forward to winter. No mowing the lawn, no mosquitoes , no out door painting, no watering plants etc :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭ladybird23

Any takers on an idea of the weather in calgary? looked up on the net but i think someone living there could give a better outlook!

Lived in Edmonton which is a couple of hours north of Calgary.
    Winters cold down to the -30s but its very bearable
    Winters have varied from no snow to lots of snow
    first year we were here there was snow almost eveyday and feet on the ground by the end of the winter.
    Year after that very little snow maybe a few inches by the end of winter this year
    Loads of snow this winter.
    Summers have been warm, up to 30 degrees

• Registered Users Posts: 6,381 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Put it this way, if there is no wind, you can keep the cold out very well here, just layer yourself up.

Back home though, if its cold, it gets through you no matter what.

I love the weather in Canada and its more defined seasons.

Plus the snow is awesome, not like heavy wet irish snow this stuff just blows out of your way and is always dry
    No good for snow men though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭alexjk

Well, if you approach a place with the attitude that they speak a bastardised language, then it's not surprising if they treat you rudely in return.

Truth be told, many of the francophone accents here are a bit difficult but they are very receptive to efforts to speak French. They will switch to English if you really can't continue on in French, but they do appreciate at least attempting French first.

Regarding weather here, it's a bit of everything. When I arrived in April, it snowed 20cm in one day. However, we've had weeks where every day was 30 degrees with 80% humidity followed by a week of rain. Right now, I could walk around in a t-shirt and shorts at 1am with no bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

The cold was putting me off at first because I have mild arthritis but like was said, its a different kind of cold. its not as damp as it is here and its more I dunno, crisp I guess? Was in Toronto a few years ago and its was down around -3 most days in early spring, it felt baltic coming back to Ireland and it was 5 or 6 here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

alexjk wrote: »
    but they do appreciate at least attempting French first..

Ah bless em.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

This past winter in Alberta (especially up north) and Saskatchewan was savage although Calgary can be quite mild in winter due to the Chinook winds.

Western B.C. might be the place for you. :)

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭ician

ciaran67 wrote: »
    Ah bless em.

Just like Vancouverites appreciate you at least trying to speak Cantonese first ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

From my own personal experience I too found people in Montreal to be on the rude side! We are in for some serious humidity here in Toronto by the looks of it... my Irish body wasn't built to take this lol.

Phonehead wrote: »
    From my own personal experience I too found people in Montreal to be on the rude side! We are in for some serious humidity here in Toronto by the looks of it... my Irish body wasn't built to take this lol.

You get used to it surprisingly quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

You get used to it surprisingly quickly

LOL, Here 2 and half years and I still can't get use to the humidity (I must mention that is based on the fact that I run so 12 or 13 miles in the evening is a killer in this weather)

Ah god yeah, with running it'd be tough, but day to day it's grand til it feels like the 40s I find. And I was never very good with warm days in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

ician wrote: »
    Just like Vancouverites appreciate you at least trying to speak Cantonese first ;)

Funny enough, with my job i do use a couple of Cantonese phrases. 60% of my clientele are Chinese.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭pilgrim pat

anyone on here know what the weather is like in newfoundland it looks a bit cooler than the west do they get much of a summer ?

Advertisement