Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Supplies, Blankets, etc

Options
  • 14-06-2013 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

Hi,

My wife and I are moving to America soon. We're planning to do the move ourselves and will pack a 20 foot container with our household stuff. We're grand on finding cardboard boxes, etc. but aren't sure about how to pack and protect our furniture. Removals companies use blankets to protect furniture. We found a source on the web but reckon it will take hundreds of Euros of blankets, which, please God, we'll only need once.
    Any ideas? Any alternatives to blankets or someway to hire them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭The Gride

Our neighbours moved to Canada a few months ago. They got a 45 ft high cube container for just €400 more than what a 20ft was costing. It was bigger than they need and they found someone who also need bits mover over so they split the cost

For packing they just got loads of cardboard , plastic and waste ends of foam from a local retailer. No need for blankets. Everything arrived safely with no breakages.

If you never packed a container before get someone to help that has a bit of experience or else you will lose loads of space. Good luck with the move.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭PhotogTom

Good advice on the 40 foot vs 20 foot, I'll have to look into that more. There's a furniture retailer in town that I know, I'll check with him on packaging material. Hate to spend money on something like cardboard boxes which will just be rubbish at the other end.

Advertisement