Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shadowman HIM

Options
  • 14-06-2013 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

Any body know much about this race?
    Expected numbers etc.
    Tempted but hard to know with it being it's first year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Noel123

this is what i got when i sent a mail:

Yes, our event is most certainly going ahead and we have over 230 competitors signed up across the middle and full distance event this coming August and we will be publishing entry list in the coming weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Noel123

it would be great if the event organizers updated their website with this type of information in order to get people like you and me, who are half interested, to sign up

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

Noel123 wrote: »
    it would be great if the event organizers updated their website with this type of information in order to get people like you and me, who are half interested, to sign up

Agreed. Interesting to hear they have got them numbers signed up. I'd say there is a good few sitting on fence on signing up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭big mce

I'm thinking of doing it but the 5:30 swim has me wondering....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

big mce wrote: »

Doubt swim will start at 5:30
    I'm not aware of any (IM) long tri events that starts that early

I'm planning to do the half but information on website is damn poor.

• Advertisement

Oh that's very early start. Race info hard to come by. At least with an early start like that u'd. have quiet roads on a bank hol Sun morning

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭mrbungle

Half Distance start has been pitched at 0800.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ShineyShiney

I was intending to do shadowman but I and 2 mates have switched to swinford.

Very little talk about shadowman and really poor web prescence had me worried it might not happen.

Hope it goes ahead and is a great success but the organizers could do with getting a bit of a push on the pr side of things.

Just registered. 8:30 Swim sounds a lot better than 5:30, and Swinford doesn't suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Im in the same boat as a few others - havent signed up for it, but waiting for the hype to kick in to convince me!

• Advertisement

Just registered. 8:30 Swim sounds a lot better than 5:30, and Swinford doesn't suit.

big mce
    Do u happen to know if registration, bikes etc need to be done night before?

According to the website you must register on the night before which is a joke but maybe that will change like the start time did. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭ironmonkey

I'd like to do the half aswell but while the website looks fancy there's not much info. It would also suit me to come down early in the am to register but they have probably have done some deal with local hotels. It looks as flat as a pancake which suits as I haven't done much training.

Email I received yesterday evening:

Evening folks,

Derek Nugent here from the Shadowman just touching base with you all on the run in to our inaugural event.

First and foremost, on behalf of myself and the rest of the committee we would like to thank and wish the 260 of you who have chosen to join us this August the very best of luck as you swim, bike and run your way through our flat, fast course. We've not closed entries as of yet, so if you have anyone still sitting on the fence and need a gentle push then let them know we are ready for them.

Firstly, we are very pleased to announce that KINETICA will be our aid station sponsor, and each athlete can expect a bar and gel at each passing of our Aid Stations (excluding our water only Coosan station on the run), as well as fresh fruit and other treats. There will be two aid stations on the run, one main Kinetica filled one and another at the halfway point stocking fresh water only.

We are also pleased to announce that there will be the following prize categories:

Middle 1, 2, 3 Male and Female and fastest relay team

Full 1, 2, 3 Male and Female plus fastest relay team

There will be over €1,800 handed out in cash prizes as well as some really awesome spot prizes from our title sponsor, Shadow, Irelands premier custom clothing company. There will also be a goody bag with a fantastic long sleeve jersey for each competitor. Details of all this is on the website.

Here is out list of entrants at the start of this week male/female:

Middle Distance 146 17
    Middle Distance Relay 7 7
    Long Distance 43 4
    Long Distance Relay 2 0

As we are within 7 weekends to race time we are just coming back with a brief update on some of the common queries and developments that will be important to you come race day.

Full Distance Shadowman: (3.8k, 180k, 42k)

We've been listening to you and have decided to move the Long Distance Race Start from 0530 to 0630hrs. Yes we know that's still early, but with sunset estimated for 2115hrs we need this to ensure a safe environment at the back of the event (the tail end of the run).

You will still only be allowed to register on Saturday for the long distance event in Buccaneeers Rugby Club, with precise timings to follow.

There will also be your opportunity to send your own special nutrition bag out to the feed station at the half way point on the bike (Lanesboro). Athletes will need time on race morning to put their running kit into T2 and get down to swim start in time for brief and then the off, so it will help if you familiarise yourself with the split transition venue on the day and plan to be on site on time!

The swim venue is still Coosan point, with two laps of our bike route giving 182km, and 4 of 10.5k laps of our run giving the 42km needed. Water temperature is currently a balmy 16C, and we'll let you know more come race week.

Middle Distance: (1.9k, 90k, 21k)

Registration will also be on Saturday in the Buccaneers with precise timings to follow. We will be offering a limited on the day registration for the half distance in T1 from 7-8am with the race scheduled to start at 0830hrs. We would encourage athletes to place their kit in T2 (Buccaneers RFC) and then make their way to T1 ready to race.

There is no racking of bikes for either race the night before as the area will not be secure. Bikes must be racked Sunday morning only.

Prior to race day all athletes will be given a Bib number which will correspond to their racing numbers at T1 and T2. this will be your designated slot, use this space and no other.

For both events, and with all athletes, we will be giving you numbered bags that you will place your kit into after you make your transition. Your bag will then be brought to T2 awaiting your arrival later on in the day. Details of this will be given out via email closer to race week.

We'll be updating with the final schedules and info closer to race day,

Stay safe and happy training,

Derek
    Race Director

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭TheEagles

Many people on here doing this event next weekend? not alot of talk about it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

I'm in!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Therapysucks

I received the same email. Replied to the organisers suggesting a later start to the HIM so those of us doing the long distance might have some company on the run. They never replied.

Have received no further info. The numbers are very low which can be put down to the little or no attempt to market the race. It's my first attempt at iron distance. Have put the hours in over the last six months, neglected work and family, and am wondering already why I didn't just go the whole hog and sign up for an overseas race. So far, Shadowman seems like amateur hour.

Good luck to everyone competing. Looking forward to seeing you there. Hope we can make an event of it despite the organisation so far.

I received the same email. Replied to the organisers suggesting a later start to the HIM so those of us doing the long distance might have some company on the run. They never replied.

Have received no further info. The numbers are very low which can be put down to the little or no attempt to market the race. It's my first attempt at iron distance. Have put the hours in over the last six months, neglected work and family, and am wondering already why I didn't just go the whole hog and sign up for an overseas race. So far, Shadowman seems like amateur hour.

Good luck to everyone competing. Looking forward to seeing you there. Hope we can make an event of it despite the organisation so far.

This post annoys me somewhat. When you enter an IM in ireland you know it will be low key, it will be small and the route will be quieter than the continental equivalent. If you were asking for the half to be moved to an 11 or 12 start to facilitate your run, I for one am glad they didn't comply!

Its entirely unfair to moan about organisation prior to the event. Lets give it a chance and if there are issues on the day/weekend, then fair enough. Best of luck on sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Therapysucks

EC1000 wrote: »
    This post annoys me somewhat. When you enter an IM in ireland you know it will be low key, it will be small and the route will be quieter than the continental equivalent. If you were asking for the half to be moved to an 11 or 12 start to facilitate your run, I for one am glad they didn't comply!

Its entirely unfair to moan about organisation prior to the event. Lets give it a chance and if there are issues on the day/weekend, then fair enough. Best of luck on sunday.

I take your point completely - it is unfair to complain about organisation before an event takes place. However, if a race is to be successful, organisers know they need to communicate with registered entrants prior to the event. Take TriAthy (and I have nothing to do with that race or the club that runs it), but after you enter, you get regular emails and notifications related to the race and the area and whatever else takes your fancy. They engage with their customers, and that's what we are. I've been working my hole off all year for this race - I would like some information from the organisers to at least assure me preparations are under way. The way it is at the moment, I half expect to turn up in Athlone, wander out to Buccaneers to register and have a bunch of ex-rugby players laugh me out of the place.

Course it's going to be low key, so is the Lost Sheep, but they keep you up to speed from a couple of months out. They make an effort and that race sells out every year.

As for the run - wouldn't it make sense to have both races come together towards the end? Like the way they calculate the times of the half, full and ultra marathons to come in together in Connemara. Seems like common sense to me, even from an organisational point of view.

Seriously, I hope the thing goes brilliantly, and I'm gonna shut up now cos I don't want to wreck me buzz too much in the week before I possibly die. Am absolutely stoked to be doing this at the weekend and just hope the organisers realise how much we've all put into the preparation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

As for the run - wouldn't it make sense to have both races come together towards the end? Like the way they calculate the times of the half, full and ultra marathons to come in together in Connemara. Seems like common sense to me, even from an organisational point of view.

To do this would require water safety crew and equipment to be on site for circa 8 hours. An hour before the start of the full distance until after the end of the half swim, which you would like to start about 6 hours later. Thats just not possible. Its an awful lot easier to marshal a run course for hours on end than have people sitting in canoes all day. Cheaper too. Doing this in a run race is a completely different proposition.

EC1000 wrote: »
    I'm in!

Did you also do the Humbert half in Mayo a couple of weeks ago??

I did, and not sure weather 3 weeks has been enough rest/training in between.

Time will tell!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

I hope it goes well, i really do. I only live 40 min from Athlone and it would be great to have a half distance race that close me . Can't do it this year with all i have on but its on my 2014 radar !

TheEagles wrote: »
    Did you also do the Humbert half in Mayo a couple of weeks ago??

I did, and not sure weather 3 weeks has been enough rest/training in between.

Time will tell!!

Did Humbert last year, skipped it this year for Athlone instead. Time will tell in relation to the above rest period, but I guess the answer lies in what your goals/expectations are. You could do a half every weekend if you were happy to plod around. If you have a particular goal in mind then you ideally need to peak for one race and manage your training accordingly.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭eoin ryan

Looking forward to it. Rain or shine....

Any one have any idea where you could get some breakfast very early Sunday morning?? Traveling down there on the morning. Weather not looking great for Sunday but who knows...

Any one have any idea where you could get some breakfast very early Sunday morning?? Traveling down there on the morning. Weather not looking great for Sunday but who knows...

Have u received any e-mails etc? I haven't got anything and wondering is it just me? No briefing up on web?? Cheers

There's a big petrol station on the Dublin road outside the town on the east side beside McDonalds/Woodies, has a hot food section and sit in, think the hatch/window would only be open very early in the morning.

Better off bringing your own food and get hot drinks if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Id say you'll be lucky even to get a coffee at a fuel station.
    I found out at the June BH weekend they only serve it from 8am.

Bring brekkie with you. A pre 5am rise for me.

• Advertisement

Have u received any e-mails etc? I haven't got anything and wondering is it just me? No briefing up on web?? Cheers

This was on FB earlier:

Waterways Ireland triAthlone
    Race briefing document is being finalised and will be published tomorrow. We will post a link on Facebook.

Advertisement