Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shadowman HIM

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭TheEagles

I haven't got any yet either, thought it was just me but obviously not. We were ment to get race brief today...

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

TheEagles wrote: »
    I haven't got any yet either, thought it was just me but obviously not. We were ment to get race brief today...

Race brief now up on fb. Now we just need the sun..

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭big mce

Hope having two different transition area's doesn't become a problem!

Just after reading the race brief, when we put our stuff in the blue box for T2. Is that our running gear ONLY or everything??? Wetsuit etc. or are these boxes taken before the swim start.?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Just after reading the race brief, when we put our stuff in the blue box for T2. Is that our running gear ONLY or everything??? Wetsuit etc. or are these boxes taken before the swim start.?

The box is brought to T2 for you so the only things in it should be what you will need in T2.......

I cant for the life of me think why you would be putting a wetsuit in transition anyway?!!!

• Advertisement

Maybe I was clear..my fault, I was really looking to c can we leave stuff behind in T1 like the wetsuit etc or did they want us to be fully cleared out of there after we leave on the bike. As they take our boxes after we leave and bring all our stuff to T2. I thought I saw a wetsuit in the box in the picture they have up on the race brief...

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭mrbungle

Stick your runners/socks if used in a plastic bag in case it pisses.

Unclear if you put you're wetsuit in a drawstring bag IM style or put it into the blue tote so all your gear ends up at T2. Am guessing bag.

The suspence is killing me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

I got the long sleeve jersey today, its blue with red and white on it. Its nice and light with Shadowman on the sleeves !

I got the long sleeve jersey today, its blue with red and white on it. Its nice and light with Shadowman on the sleeves !

Registered already. Your on the ball!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Registered already. Your on the ball!

Na race organisers like to keep Elvis sweet:cool::D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Nwm2

Question: the Kinetic energy drink handed out on the bike, how will this be dispensed? Anyone know? I know the water is in 5L bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭tubos

Was watching the swim today. What a morning for it, perfect. There was a few little things that could be improved for the next one - they really needed a kayaker at the end of the swim race to guide swimmers to the last buoy as quite a few missed it an had to swim back and round the buoy. Also there was quite a few stones at the transition and those with their cycling shoes attached to their bikes suffered a bit!!! Coosan point is a lovely spot though and perfect for the race, the pub was open as well for refreshments which was good for us spectators.

I really hope all goes well later, especially on the run, as the roads around Coosan are very narrow, hopefully drivers will be well aware of the runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Any tracking anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Winning time 4:10 I believe

Yes a few went wrong at last bouy including myself
    My bike was 92.5k. Went wrong last roundabout like a few other did also - no stewart
    Run 19.2k, (not flat!) shortened by T Ire today. They brought turn around by 500m
    Lovely course

My time 4:40.

Will post some tips for improvements, this one has great potential

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭tubos

Yes definitely a few more marshalls and better signage would help. I presume it was the roundabout at Gnaleys were you went wrong, easily done. I think if it is better promoted in future there may be plenty of people willing to volunteer. I dont mind sitting at a roundabout or a junction for a few hours!!

It would be great for Athlone and the midlands if it happens again.

Abhainn wrote: »

My bike was 92.5k. Went wrong last roundabout like a few other did also - no stewart
    Run 19.2k, (not flat!) shortened by T Ire today. They brought turn around by 500m
    Lovely course

Why was course shortened?

Any results? I'm expecting them here:

http://www.precisiontiming.net/result/racetimer?v=%252Fen%252Frace%252Fshow%252F1442%253Flayout%253Dprecision_timing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Abhainn wrote: »

Lovely course

Good going. Didn't see you out on the course, I was cycling the opposite direction between lanesboro and ballymahon cheering everyone on. I probably shouted at ya anyway!!!

Has potential to be a great race, I enjoyed it.

Some areas to improve in my eyes, extra bouys for swim, 3 was not enough. More toilets at T1, as said above the car park had a lot of little stones in T1 which made it hard to get around. Didn't see any marshals on bike leg only at traffic lights near the end.

Run leg prob shortened due to extra 2k on the bike. I had 19.8k approx.

Yes the run and bike legs had some nice hills...

Over all very good event, great support at the finish area. Would recommed the event based on some minor changes (not critisim)

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭eoin ryan

Really enjoyed the race. Been 6 years since i did a Tri... Great fun!
    I don't think you could get a better day for it too :)
    Loved the mosh pit in the swim. Took awhile for my left arm to realise it needed to also make a contribution. lack of practice but it came good.
    No issue with the bhoys. Learned from an old master that you site the landscape not the bhoy. Maybe races have more bhoys in them now...?? I think its part of the skill of openwater swimming. The brief was clear to be fair.
    9mins in T1 to towel off and apply sunscreen. No rush eh....
    Enjoyed the bike. Not used to tri shorts and the lack of padding, so had to put up with that. Feeling it today. Had some great ding dongs with some people. Getting caught on hills and passing them on the flat. Good banter.
    Signage was good. But at roundabouts and major junctions - it needed to be bigger.
    Have been working back from an Achilles injury for past few months so was careful on the run to begin with. It was the first real test of progress. I was prepared to walk if required. Thankfully all went well. Very well
    Great race lads. Room for improvements but i reckon it will grow...
    I defo won't leave it another 6 years until my next. Maybe a crack at the long distance next year. Now its all about training for the MDS and minding the auld achilles

Has potential to be a great race, I enjoyed it.

Some areas to improve in my eyes, extra bouys for swim, 3 was not enough. More toilets at T1, as said above the car park had a lot of little stones in T1 which made it hard to get around. Didn't see any marshals on bike leg only at traffic lights near the end.

Run leg prob shortened due to extra 2k on the bike. I had 19.8k approx.

Yes the run and bike legs had some nice hills...

Over all very good event, great support at the finish area. Would recommed the event based on some minor changes (not critisim)

Would agree with above. Very positive overall. Wasn't sure how the different T1 & T2 would work but was fine. Reckon this race could really take off. Lovely lake, with a nice bike and run course. Location very central.
    They even organised some sun!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Great work by the event organizers.
    I did the half and travelled to it from Wicklow town morning of the race

Positives:
    Coosan Lake is a great swim location
    Bike course of 1 lap is very appealing and on good roads.
    Run course is lovely and while not flat has some hills, on quite roads and you won’t get bored.
    Split transition worked very well (for me anyway). No issue in finding my drop box and bike mounting area. The drop box which had been transported from T1 also contained my wet suit, goggles and cap
    Aid stations on run well stocked especially one outside finish area entrance.
    Nice finish.
    Volunteers were very pleasant and helpful

Improvements:
    Use one color buoys i.e. yellow and possibly add 2 extra on.
    There seemed some confusion at briefing on swim route.
    “Swim ensuring you keep all buoys on your right“. Even though the morning sun was blinding and while I sighted well I messed up at exit by swimming to yellow bout and not orange
    The aid station supposed to be at 70km didn’t materialize. While not an issue for me those with only 1 water bottler expecting it to be there may have been in a little trouble
    More marshals need at critical locations on bike i.e. last round about. There was a small sign at round about which I missed and went straight on, lost a couple of mins and a few places but nothing major.
    Introduce distance signs on bike (every 10km) and run (2km maybe) would be worth considering
    A couple more portaloos at T1

• Registered Users Posts: 27 ciah

Enjoyable event.
    Some suggestions to make it even better.
    - Change the blue energy drink which was given out at the first aid station on bike. Am happy with most brands.
    - Have a sign 100m before each of the bike aid stations, missed the second aid station.
    - More marshalls on bike route and more prominent signage.
    - On run Ritz Crackers or something salty at one of the aid stations.
    - Reduce number of wasps at run aid stations.

Excellent long sleeve top. No probem with no medal, am much happier to get a good quality cycle top.
    Great location at rugby club with bar, food, camp site within 3km etc.

August bank holiday means there is no need to dash home after event. Would be nice if they served bar food till later after event or perhaps a post race BBQ starting around 8pm should be an optional extra. Think a lot of people left as there was no compelling reason to stay around after race.

All in all very well done and looking forward to next year.

ciah wrote: »

- Change the blue energy drink which was given out at the first aid station on bike. Am happy with most brands.

Blue? It was red when I got there (did the half), and it was probably the worst sports drink I ever tasted.

I did the half, so below applies to that mainly.

Overall: very good event, would recommend. Weather made a huge difference, as in all triathlons, and the weather was perfect.

Positives:

- Swim: I had no issue with buoys. Perhaps another buoy on the way back. Lake was like a swimming pool. I missed the briefing as I was queuing for the loo, but a fellow triathlete explained to me where the buoys were and where to exit.
    - Bike: great bike course. I'm sick of racing on crappy Irish roads, and most of this 91k was pretty good.
    - Run: nice flat course, aid stations were great.

Improvements:
    - Give us at least a few minutes warm up for the swim!
    - Don't think there were any bike marshalls. I always had other riders in view, so someone else was making the decisions. I did see markings on the road sometimes - I presume they were there all the time
    - Bike aid stations: this is the big area for improvement.
    • Firstly there was not enough of them. There was only one real aid station on the half. Would be great if there was another one, but I guess as long as you know the story you can plan for it.
    • That aid station was supposed to be at 40k. 40k went by with no sign of the aid station. Then there was a hand written sign saying 'aid station 500m', but the aid station was still a few km down the road, which lead to some sitting up and asking WTF with fellow triathletes. Did we miss it, should we turn back? Maybe this was covered at the briefing, but aid station was at 45k.
    • The 40/45k aid station had this awful red-coloured isotonic mix, the worst I've ever tasted as I mentioned above. I understand the difficulties the RDs have here though.
    • There was supposed to be another aid station at 80k (water only). If it was there then I missed it.
    Run: Only negative is that the course was significantly short - almost 10%. This means everyone's time has an asterisk next to it.

Advertisement