Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

starting business while in full time employment?

Options
  • 14-06-2013 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi, just have a few questions for anyone who can help in the area. I am in the process of starting my own massage business on the side, I already have a full time job. I had an area picked to work in and they could provide the room free of charge and all the money I made would be paid direct to me and not have to go through tax.
    However, there has been a change and they are putting the work out to tender now. The company have still told me to apply and that the contract will be with the clients I'm massaging and will have no salary contract with the company themselves (who I already work for in a different capacity). I dont mind doing the tender, I think its fair and transparent, but I'm worried now about all the legal and tax implications for me.
    For the tender will I need a vat number? I earn 60k at the moment in my full time job, this job would earn me another 10k per year if it wasnt taxed, but I dont know if it will be worth my while to do it if its taxed, but is it breaking the law if i dont declare it?
    I really dont know anything about business and this all happened a bit suddenly but the tender forms come out next week so I really need to decide one way or the other if I'm going try this or leave it to someone else who is doing it full time already.
    I'm not sure what other info would be helpful, but any tips would be greatly appreciated, or if I'm better just going to financial advisor or business advisor I might do that.
    Also, just to add, I dont want to not pay tax- I have paid tax my entire life and don't want to be defrauding the state, but I dont think I will be left with much out of the 10k because I already have quite a good wage and will be taxed to the hilt on it, or would there be any exemption because I am trying to start my own business?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭dbran

Of course it is against the law if you don't declare it for tax. Please read the charter. Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement