Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rental acommodation for weeks holiday - what area?

Options
  • 14-06-2013 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Looking for somewhere to rent for a week in July.

Need enclosed garden, allows dogs, and prefer Wifi.

Have a few that suit -
    2 in Glen Dara,
    one in Wellpark,
    another in Cnoc An Oir, Newcastle,
    another St Marys Road, Shantalla
    another in Cabbage Lane, Bohermore

Willing to pay 300-400 euro, best locations want 600-700 for a week. What is the best location above - safety, close to a few bars/restaurants.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Hi there,
    As you want to be close to bars etc - I would go with St. Marys Road. There's the G hotel and 'the Huntsman' near the house in Wellpark, it's about a 20 minute walk into Eyre Square from Wellpark.

Bohermore near town too (10 minute walk)

Wouldn't stay in Glen Dara though (personal opinion, having lived in the estate)
    Enjoy the West!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭shell820810

Hi there,
    As you want to be close to bars etc - I would go with St. Marys Road. There's the G hotel and 'the Huntsman' near the house in Wellpark, it's about a 20 minute walk into Eyre Square from Wellpark.

Bohermore near town too (10 minute walk)

Wouldn't stay in Glen Dara though (personal opinion, having lived in the estate)
    Enjoy the West!

Its a family holiday, so close to a few bars for a few drinks and a bite to eat, no mad sessions anymore though!

Was set on Glen Dara and then read it wasn't a great area, hence my post!

Ohhh I know the lack of sessions!!!
    I would say that the two most suitable places are Wellpark and St. Mary's Road. They are on two ends of the town - Wellpark being on the East. St. Marys Road is near Salthill and beaches etc, so maybe would suit you better - especially if you have a dog.

Would go for St. Mary's myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Looking for somewhere to rent for a week in July.

Need enclosed garden, allows dogs, and prefer Wifi.

Have a few that suit -
    2 in Glen Dara,
    one in Wellpark,
    another in Cnoc An Oir, Newcastle,
    another St Marys Road, Shantalla
    another in Cabbage Lane, Bohermore

Willing to pay 300-400 euro, best locations want 600-700 for a week. What is the best location above - safety, close to a few bars/restaurants.

Thanks!

I would go for st marys road. Close to town as well as Salthill.

JillyQ wrote: »
    I would go for st marys road. Close to town as well as Salthill.

Strolling distance to both?

ALso what about parking, apparently the house only has permits for on street parking. Will that be an issue, with two cars? From google maps it seems to be right at the junction with Shantalla and St Helens Street, and only 3 spaces anyway near it......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Cabbage Lane for a holiday rental? ROTFLMAO .... don't even consider it.

Strolling distance to both?

ALso what about parking, apparently the house only has permits for on street parking. Will that be an issue, with two cars? From google maps it seems to be right at the junction with Shantalla and St Helens Street, and only 3 spaces anyway near it......

both Salthill & town are within strolling distance. The centre of salthill is about 20 mins max & town is less than 10 mins. St Marys Road has on street pay & display parking on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Would probably go for Mary's road for your needs. More choice of pubs within 5-10mins
    Some of the Glen Dara is totally grand, and there's a hotel bar and a Chinese takeaway (and sit down) nearby if you are gasping, and tbh, Cookes Corner and the "Wehst' is only 15-20 min walk.
    If the price diff was enough in favour of GD I wouldn't rule it out.

Thanks very much for the advice, god knows where we would have ended up! St Marys road is €475, Glen Dara is €350 and the others are somewhere in between. Salthill seems to be about €600-€750! The joys of going peak summer time!

Only have St Marys road and Wellpark as options now, Wellpark is €450 so think we will end up with St Marys Road.

Am I likely to have any issues using their permits? I assume it has their registration on it - is this tightly checked?

• Advertisement

Am I likely to have any issues using their permits? I assume it has their registration on it - is this tightly checked?

Dont know about that the people that you are renting off should be able to tell you.

JillyQ wrote: »
    Dont know about that the people that you are renting off should be able to tell you.
    Waiting to hear back from them, they did say earlier they never had any issue with parking, and they just leave the permits for whoever is in the house.

But reading up on it suggests that visitor permits need to be organised at €2.50 per day. Dont need added costs, but dont need a nasty fine either!

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dollybird2

St. Marys road is a designated permit parking zone. The permits are residents permits that require all documentation relating to the car to be registered in the relevant address. As it is only a week's holiday you won't be changing documents so that rules that out.

For visitor parking permits - which are the 2.50 Euro permits per day that you mention - you need a utility bill in your name at this address. As you won't have that I'm sure the people renting out the premises will be able to organise this for you, but it does cost 2.50 Mon - Sun.

Otherwise, it's a 40 Euro ticket for parking without a pay & display ticket.

All details on www.galwaycity.ie

The best option is the visitor permits, providing that the person renting out the premises can provide the relevant documents, but that adds on 15 euros parking for a week (as Sunday is free) per car for this property.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

St Marys Rd by a mile!

I used to live in a place where we had on-street parking pass, you'll be fine using theirs. The visitor pass is an additional pass (think the resident is allowed to buy a certain amount of them like 100 in a year or something like that for €2.50 per day) It's for additional car space, literally when someone else is visiting them!

I'd say parking shouldn't be a problem there, it's a long street and anyway the pass will actually be for a certain zone so worst case scenario there's no space on the actual street you can still park on another nearby road and your pass will be valid but check the finer details of this with owner of the house.

PS If you decide to go with this place, it's not the widest of roads so I would say to tap your wing mirrors in on the car!

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dollybird2

The parking pass that Magentas mentions has the registration of the car printed on it, and requires the aforementioned documentation so that isn't an option for you seeing as you'd be there for a week's holidays. The 2.50 per day pass is your only option providing the person who owns the property will provide the necessary utility bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

dollybird2 wrote: »
    The parking pass that Magentas mentions has the registration of the car printed on it, and requires the aforementioned documentation so that isn't an option for you.

Unless you're willing to gamble that the warden in the street checkng permits is unlikely to match up the papers vs the registration on the car.

It's all a gamble really: how many warden visits, how many diligent wardens - vs E15 worth of visitor permits for peace of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Meteoric

dollybird2 wrote: »
    St. Marys road is a designated permit parking zone. The permits are residents permits that require all documentation relating to the car to be registered in the relevant address. As it is only a week's holiday you won't be changing documents so that rules that out.

For visitor parking permits - which are the 2.50 Euro permits per day that you mention - you need a utility bill in your name at this address. As you won't have that I'm sure the people renting out the premises will be able to organise this for you, but it does cost 2.50 Mon - Sun.

Otherwise, it's a 40 Euro ticket for parking without a pay & display ticket.

All details on www.galwaycity.ie

The best option is the visitor permits, providing that the person renting out the premises can provide the relevant documents, but that adds on 15 euros parking for a week (as Sunday is free) per car for this property.
    Would you get hassle or clamped for parking in the St. Mary's College parking spaces at the front near the road? Masses of space there.

To be honest, I think the OP would be better addressing their concerns to the person renting the house- if they are renting, they should know.

Yep, visitors passes will be provided, thanks for the comments

Advertisement