Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hardman 2013

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

The Hardman numbers are low because it's a low key event. It doesn't have the cache that a big branded event like IM or Challenge has. It's very hard to compare the two. A few people have asked me whether or not it would make a good first IM and that depends on what you want. If you want a big event with large crowds, good road surfaces, lots of spectators, pace lines, closed roads, etc., then no, I wouldn't recommend this event. If you're not bothered by that sort of thing then yes, I would recommend this event. I've done it 3 times and a few people have done all 4 iterations and for me the main driver is cost and ease of access. I can enter the race, travel to Kerry and be home the day after the race for a fraction of what a big continental race costs, and whilst I'd love to do a big European IM I can't justify the costs. The race does have it's issues, but I'll go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭coppinger

Did the hardman in 2012 and shadowman 2013 and 2014. Went back to athlone purely for logistics (living in dublin) drove home 1 hour from the race the same day, had to stay an extra night in kerry. The bike course in kerry is way more interesting - awesome atlantic views and only one lap, both had similar brown lake swims and 3 or 4 lap runs. As for racing in ireland - the one big advantage is the cost, racing abroad is better otherwise.

After athlone this year I had a strange urge to do all three irish ironman races in august 2015, one week after another - might still happen - anyone out there brave/crazy/stupid enough for this?

Advertisement