Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-2013 OT Thread Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

peekachoo wrote: »
    I had a scary situation where someone intentionally sent me a link that installed spyware into my computer. At the time I had a hosted domain and it gave the person complete access to my domain and subdomains that were rented to other users, all under my hosting.
    Anyway this person sent me a "file", I think it was an "application" for a sub, downloaded it and nothing came up so I just assumed it wad a faulty document. Until the person started emailing me asking me what I was up to on certain websites and things like who's profiles I've been looking at or why was my password for whatever account so weird/easy/strange.
    I had to completely wipe my harddrive losing a sh!t amount of domain related data and whatnot and also had to take down my site and those who I had hosted sites for a week to update firewalls and security measures.
    Moral of the story? Don't trust the internet kids. Not even me. I'm a public flasher/sociopath :pac:

Any reccomendations for me, I cant even get onto the computer :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

HugsiePie wrote: »
    Any reccomendations for me, I cant even get onto the computer :(

if you can't even get onto it your best bet is a repair shop first thing Monday morning. :( maybe it's not the Trojan if you didn't download the .exe, how old is the laptop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Hugsie, I really think it could be unrelated to that virus. :/ That happened to our old laptop after it was shut down incorrectly a few times. Had to bring in it into the shop and we lost pretty much everything on it after they fixed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Unfortunately I'm with Vito on this one!

peekachoo wrote: »
    if you can't even get onto it your best bet is a repair shop first thing Monday morning. :( maybe it's not the Trojan if you didn't download the .exe, how old is the laptop?

Its old, but it was working PERFECTLY, like it was a dream we have a brand new computer and it was just as fast, we have a different laptop which we never use which is a good bit newer than the broken one cause its crap in comparison, ah to the repair shop it goes anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Rigamortus

barry194 wrote: »
    It's ok in my opinion some tracks aren't great. Is a Gwen Stefani song sampled on BBC? I think it is Hollaback Girl and Pharrell produced that in the Neptunes. Love the beat for the song with Rick Ross.

not sure on that sample ... that beat for F*ckwithmeyouknowigotit is sick

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

It made you do a disk check?

Disk checks are for physical errors on the HDD..

So like Vito said, could be from a sudden loss of power while it's running.

Take it to a repair shop yea

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    It made you do a disk check?

Disk checks are for physical errors on the HDD..

So like Vito said, could be from a sudden loss of power while it's running.

Take it to a repair shop yea

Yeah the disc check thing normally appears when I turn off the computer that way (I dont do it often, I swear :P)

I did it like once

Well not intentionally. It was desktop and it was on(it's always on :rolleyes:) and the electricity went out for like a fraction of a section so it turned off.

Made me check for errors and well..lost a lot of crap :pac:

944493_531958106841252_92256705_n.jpg

Story of my life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

My laptop turns my bed into a Furness! It really doesn't help in this heat :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭Corvo Attano

Can some one vreak down what happened. Im too drunk for thia ****

Can some one vreak down what happened. Im too drunk for thia ****

Go home Corvo, your spelling is atrocious! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Not a bad aul night, home in one piece anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

I want my results.

I want my results.

I dont :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭Corvo Attano

I was home. :(

Someone please find me and kill me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

HugsiePie wrote: »
    But the scans I did werent antivirus scans, they were disc scans that my computer reccomends if you didnt turn off the labtop correctly (pulling out battery and plug) and I cant get into the computer cause its a blank screen.

I don't think that sort of scan would have any effect on a virus etc, I think that's just like system repair if you don't shut down the computer properly. If you can't actually turn on the computer the only thing you can really do is bring it to a repair shop and see what they think, maybe they'll be able to transfer the files to a new laptop.

If you do get a new laptop the first thing you should do is install some sort of antivirus software. There's loads of free ones out there.

If anyone clicked on that link, even if you didn't try to open the file in the end, its extremely important that you get rid of it and run a virus scan on your computer.

I was home. :(

Someone please find me and kill me.

Don't worry Corvo we've all been there, some a little more frequently than others :P
    I just want to know what I got at this stage, even though I know I'll probably be disappointed whatever I get. I hate not being able to know what I'll be doing and where I'll be doing it, I like to be able to plan things out in my head. :cool:

6 weeks on Wednesday if I remember correctly. And sure at how quickly time's flying it'll feel like 2 weeks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

I thought there was supposed to be a heatwave..... -___- The damn clouds are ruining everything! :pac:

Dublin v Galway later... C'mon Galway :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

I tried download the link aswell but norton was saying it was bad or whatever .. Except now whenever I turn on my laptop it does a disc scan aswell which it's never done before .. Would it be related to the link or not :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Out in the sun and dad realised there's too many games that can't be missed but can't sit inside all day so he moves the TV into the kitchen in front of the patio doors and sits outside in the sun whilst watching golf, tennis and Gaelic. That man is dedicated to sports and TV haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Not expecting this from Dublin at all. I thought it would be close but with Galway sneaking it in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,671 ✭✭✭✭Daniel7740

Nice point there from that side line!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

I missed everything, what happened?

Hugsie, take out the battery, then hold down the power button for 30 seconds. Plug the battery back in and try booting again.

Prodigious wrote: »
    I missed everything, what happened?

Some stupid d!ck thought it would be a great idea and put up a link as the 'CryptedKing3 - Ultimate Guide to Studying.' and put a virus on everyones computer who downloaded it!

^^^ Yeah Hugies, do a hard reset like Prodge said.

Prodge: A JC student called cfc.forever posted a link to an 'Ultimate study guide' and when people clicked on the link, it downloaded an infected file.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Yeah sure that was locked fairly quickly wasn't it?

Run malwarebytes and ye should be grand, chances are he's running a RAT such as blackshades. He'll be able to look through your webcam and **** if you don't remove it so .. yeah get rid of it :P

Prodigious wrote: »
    Yeah sure that was locked fairly quickly wasn't it?

Run malwarebytes and ye should be grand, chances are he's running a RAT such as blackshades. He'll be able to look through your webcam and **** if you don't remove it so .. yeah get rid of it :P

Yeah it's weird. The kid actually removed the link himself after like 2 people said it was infected and then it was locked asap too.

• Advertisement

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Yeah it's weird. The kid actually removed the link himself after like 2 people said it was infected and then it was locked asap too.

Is he actually a JC student? .. Like some of his posts were things you'd never hear a 15/16 year old say :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement