Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-2013 OT Thread Part 2

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Get the camera out Wednesday. I'll be the lad thats scuttered in the dary grey suit with all the other lads that are fluttered.

Please don't tell me you're going to Wright's?

I'm not going, it's just a really skanger thing to do

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭Corvo Attano

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Please don't tell me you're going to Wright's?

I'm not going, it's just a really skanger thing to do

I dont know where I'm going to be honest but its the debs and the place looks good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Just saw Jesse from Breaking Bad wearing a pink dress in Van Wilder :|

Immersion broken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

That walk to the entrance of the Park afterwards was a killer.
    It would have been far worse had I not been on such a high. It took us about 40/45 minutes to the entrance and then another 15/20 to the brother's apartment but I couldn't have cared less.

It was the same on the way in, only ten times worse because of the heat and having to ditch our lovely bottle of half ice/half water at the park gate :(

• Advertisement

Randy, I'd love to hear your opinion on this :p :

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056990044

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

The voting age should not, under any circumstances be lowered to 16. 99% of 16 y olds couldn't give a **** about politics.

And Nim, I'll PM you later.

Sinn Fein would get a big boost because "lol up da ra"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Immersion broken.
    Boy-Holding-Nose.jpg

But like if you think about it..do you really think the ones that don't care about politics will actually bother to vote? No and the ones that do will so it doesn't really matter if most don't care.

Yeah the up de ra thing, I don't think they'd even bother to vote either :confused: I mean most don't even know when elections are, they're just spray painting it cos they look all maaaddt. There's just over 100,000 16 and 17 years olds, when you break that down into constituencies, it's so trivial like it won't even make a difference if some of them SOMEHOW managed to cast a vote simply because of 'up de ra'.

• Advertisement

I think the extra two years do wonders to expand your political awareness.

Randy, I'd love to hear your opinion on this :p :

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056990044
    I don't have a very strong one, really.

I think decisions is generally right that the majority of 16 year olds wouldn't give a damn or have a clue ... but then the same could be said for many 18 and 21 year olds tbh, and for plenty in the older age groups too. I do think there are a minority who are quite well up though, and I wouldn't put it as low as 1%.

The American colonists had a slogan "No taxation without representation!" summarising the idea that if you contributed to the state you should also have the vote / the right to be represented.

How would that work in this context? On the one hand, some 16 and 17 YOs do work and pay at least some tax ... aren't they entitled to a vote, so? On the other hand, most don't ... should they have a vote?

How would that work in this context? On the one hand, some 16 and 17 YOs do work and pay at least some tax ... aren't they entitled to a vote, so? On the other hand, most don't ... should they have a vote?

Everyone pays VAT though and a lot of 17 year olds pay road tax.

23% of the price of every single thing we ever bought in our lives was value added tax. We're all forced to live in this system like that, so why shouldn't young adults get a vote like..

I'd be in favour of reducing to 17 rather than 16 to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

Yay more politics talk :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Reducing the age to vote will increase the number of voters but not very high. Legal age for voting now is 18. I'm 18 1/2 years old. Have no interest in politics and I don't think I'll ever vote. My dad is a Garda and he hasn't voted in 5 years now. I don't think it really matters to be honest. If the government do decide to change the age to 16, so be it but how many of those are going to put in the effort to register themselves on the voting register and go out to vote. Will they put in the effort to listen to the politicians? 95% of 16y.o. don't even do their homework at home these days.

Everyone pays VAT though ...
    Including the 5 year old who buys an ice-cream, so that really won't work as a measure.
    ... and a lot of 17 year olds pay road tax.
    Motor tax, not road tax. If you ever venture into the Motors forum, you will get screamed at a lot on that one!! :pac:
    I'd be in favour of reducing to 17 rather than 16 to be honest.
    I think 17 is more reasonable myself ... you're old enough to vote at 16, but not old enough to legally have sex until you're 17 sounds a bit, well, odd to me tbh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,671 ✭✭✭✭Daniel7740

Get the camera out Wednesday. I'll be the lad thats scuttered in the dary grey suit with all the other lads that are fluttered.

2 weeks till ours, tis goin to be a mad one :D better get the suit sorted this week

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Will they put in the effort to listen to the politicians?
    Sometimes that might be a good thing .... :pac: :pac:

Including the 5 year old who buys an ice-cream, so that really won't work as a measure.

True but I think we can all agree that 5 years are definitely too young. Besides, the little money they have is from their parents anyway where as 17 year olds are not too young and more likely to have a job or just their get own money from here and there

Motor tax, not road tax. If you ever venture into the Motors forum, you will get screamed at a lot on that one!! :pac:

Oh my god that's so typical of me :mad: I remembered to say motor tax and ended up saying road tax anyway..

I know, I'm one of those people who scream at people for saying road tax and everything :(
    I think 17 is more reasonable myself ... you're old enough to vote at 16, but not old enough to legally have sex until you're 17 sounds a bit, well, odd to me tbh!

Yeah I'd be for 17 rather than 16. Then we'd have voting age at 17, provisional driver's license and legal sex :pac:

Edit: 5000th post :D:D

Them damned cycalists not paying their road tax...

:pac:
    WOAH WOAH WOAH. Stall the ball. Your saying if we lower the voting age we get sex at 16?

Wheres the referendum. Get the posters.

• Advertisement

True but I think we can all agree that 5 years are definitely too young.
    Ofc, but my point is that everyone pays VAT / other indirect taxes even as children, so it's a useless measure ... it would have to be based on direct taxation.

Them damned cycalists not paying their road tax...
    There's 2 problems sparked off by calling it "road tax" ...

... you've mentioned one, it inculcates an attitude that the roads are only for motorists, not cyclists or pedestrians etc.

... the other is the "Why do I pay my road tax, the roads are shít!" constant gripe. In fact, motor tax doesn't specifically go into some fund for the upkeep of the roads, as many seem to think, nor is there any direct relationship with the state of the roads. It's a tax ON motors, not FOR roads.
    WOAH WOAH WOAH. Stall the ball. Your saying if we lower the voting age we get sex at 16?

Wheres the referendum. Get the posters.
    It doesn't mean it's guaranteed, Corvo, put that thing away! :p

It's just the age of legal consent.

Which every teenager treats as absolutely sacrosanct, ofc!

Ofc, but my point is that everyone pays VAT / other indirect taxes even as children, so it's a useless measure ... it would have to be based on direct taxation.

There's 2 problems sparked off by calling it "road tax" ...

... you've mentioned one, it inculcates an attitude that the roads are only for motorists, not cyclists or pedestrians etc.

... the other is the "Why do I pay my road tax, the roads are shít!" constant gripe.
    Fúck that. I'll gladly pay it. That motorway from Athlone to Galway has cut a four hour+ drive to about two and a half. Life saver. Good road too.
    It doesn't mean it's guaranteed, Corvo, put that thing away! :p

It's just the age of legal consent.

Ah here now. If they can guarantee bondholders they can guarantee the teenagers. I mean after all...

...we are a nation of whores :pac:

They're all counting down the days obviously :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Fúck that. I'll gladly pay it. That motorway from Athlone to Galway has cut a four hour+ drive to about two and a half. Life saver. Good road too.

Is it tolled?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Prodigious wrote: »
    Is it tolled?

AFAIK it is at Ballinasloe.

Aye but its only one toll and I do use the full length of it so cant complain.

Hey Nim the place our debs in is Rouge Nightclub. Any opinions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

yeah have it on the iPad its ridiculously fun :D

• Advertisement

peekachoo wrote: »
    yeah have it on the iPad its ridiculously fun :D

I'm pretty much addicted :p
    Hey Nim the place our debs in is Rouge Nightclub. Any opinions?

Nah

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement