Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-2013 OT Thread Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

Considering how bitchy some of my supposed friends can be,I hardly consider the weeks I spend alone as boring or not fun.
    After all there is no universal definition of fun... :p

My thoughts exactly. I've just spend practically the last 10 months seeing you people nearly every day, just let me have some time when the only thing I have to see is the tv!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭andrew369

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    That might work with Irish parents but mine would kill me ;) Same with Riga haha. Besides I hate Satanism just as much, if religion is bull**** then conversely so is hell and Mr. Lucifer

I actually have a Catholic Bible :pac:

Ohh it is absolute garbage alright, pretty much atheism gone crazy with some weird ritual crap thrown in. I just like good old fashioned atheism. ^^ Should try looking up the Jefferson Bible or also called it The Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth , it was written by Thomas Jefferson after the American Revolution to see if he could reduce people's religious superstition. Is basically the New Testament with all the heaven, hell, angels, demons, miracles and all that stuff taken out. Is purely a philosophical, moral and ethical text. Pretty good actually. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Geekness1234

Rigamortus wrote: »
    I duno lad.. getting drunk and pulling bitches is kinda the definition of fun hahaa

Touché.. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Rigamortus

Tbh.. it's not religion that i hate.. it's the people that shove their beliefs down you're throat that i hate

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

andrew369 wrote: »
    Should try looking up the Jefferson Bible or also called it The Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth , it was written by Thomas Jefferson after the American Revolution to see if he could reduce people's religious superstition. Is basically the New Testament with all the heaven, hell, angels, demons, miracles and all that stuff taken out. Is purely a philosophical, moral and ethical text. Pretty good actually. :)

It's a very interesting book. I never actually read it, I remember finding it but it wasn't translated to English. Jefferson never actually called it a Bible but then again it isn't.

• Advertisement

The Jefferson Bible does sound pretty interesting alright,might give it a google..

Tbh.. it's not religion that i hate.. it's the people that shove their beliefs down you're throat that i hate

Yeah especially when people are exploited through it. Did you see Derren Brown's documentary on faith healing? Completely revealed it as a scam and was able to train someone in a few months to be faith healer using simple tricks and it worked exactly like these guys who are supposedly "touched by god" Can probably find it on Youtube.
    It's a very interesting book. I never actually read it, I remember finding it but it wasn't translated to English. Jefferson never actually called it a Bible but then again it isn't.

Nah he wouldn't have liked it being called that at all but it is a bit easier to say than The Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth, bit of a mouth full lol. Think there are public domain versions online probably.

Here it is for anyone interested. I just got all the way from the begining to when Jesus went missing when he was 12 in 14 lines :pac:

Yeah especially when people are exploited through it. Did you see Derren Brown's documentary on faith healing? Completely revealed it as a scam and was able to train someone in a few months to be faith healer using simple tricks and it worked exactly like these guys who are supposedly "touched by god" Can probably find it on Youtube.

Never seen it... i'll give it a go..

Like for example westburo baptist church.. those people make me not want to support any religion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Same here.

Could be worse for you, you could be going on a 4 day Christian Retreat tomorrow :mad:

It's hard being an atheist in a Christian house :(
    Damn, it's times like this that I am thankful my parents were pretty cool with my lack-of belief. Didn't tell them directly, just selected "No religion" on the census the last time. My mom made a few jabs around Christmas being a Christian celebration but that was about it.
    I do the exact same thing every summer (if I'm home anyway). I turn into a professional..wallflower. I'll do stuff is people ask me to but other that that..meh. I'd just spend my time reading about things online and watching movies and maybe occasionally read books.

That might work with Irish parents but mine would kill me ;) Same with Riga haha. Besides I hate Satanism just as much, if religion is bull**** then conversely so is hell and Mr. Lucifer

I actually have a Catholic Bible :pac:
    Yeah, I'd imagine a lot of the users of this board would fall into the introvert category in relation to summer activities. I know I've spent most of the last 3 summers spending most of my time between boards, IRC and movies/games. Also, is "wallflower" a perks reference?

Are you LDS? They are pretty exclusively the only Christian group who are so strict in relation to religion that I have encountered.

• Advertisement

Like for example westburo baptist church..

Ugh

And the Manson family
    Jackobyte wrote: »
    Also, is "wallflower" a perks reference?

Nope but I love that movie :D

I should probably read the book

Also, is "wallflower" a perks reference?

Please tell me you've seen "Perks of being a wallflower" .. how amazing is that ****!!

Ohh it is absolute garbage alright, pretty much atheism gone crazy with some weird ritual crap thrown in. I just like good old fashioned atheism. ^^ Should try looking up the Jefferson Bible or also called it The Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth , it was written by Thomas Jefferson after the American Revolution to see if he could reduce people's religious superstition. Is basically the New Testament with all the heaven, hell, angels, demons, miracles and all that stuff taken out. Is purely a philosophical, moral and ethical text. Pretty good actually. :)
    I enjoyed The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ by Philip Pullman. It just creates a story about them being too seperate entity's who were twins. Makes for an interesting read and perspective on things.

Coincidentally, just as we're talking about religion, I stumble across a VW track called "Unbelievers".

But yeah, I'm not a big religion fan and thankfully, for about the past 2 months I've been spared the torture of going to mass because the parents let me sleep in on account of the LC strangely enough, but I was warned that last week was the last time that was going to happen so I'm expecting a wake up call in the morning sometime around 9.30.

Ugh

And the Manson family

Nope but I love that movie :D

I should probably read the book

Who are the manson family? .. never heard of them

Please tell me you've seen "Perks of being a wallflower" .. how amazing is that ****!!

Is it really that good?

Are you LDS? They are pretty exclusively the only Christian group who are so strict in relation to religion that I have encountered.

Nope, my parents are Catholic.

And not the "I don't really believe in God but I still hate Rangers" Catholic

Been going to mass every Sunday all my life. Also they make me do the rosary and other crap every day, you guys have it easy :p

The Perks of Being A Wallflower is..just..amazing

All you need to know is in this video.

Saw the film, but only after reading the book. Film was good, book was very good.
    Google "Charles Manson"

Is it really that good?

Oh .. it is one of my favourite movies of all time.. and that is a giant statement.. i watch a lot of movies..
    Emotional.. funny...feel good.. shocking.
    i recommend you watch it .
    Also has the best soundtrack i've heard for a movie since Garden state

• Advertisement

All you need to know is in this video.

Am I supposed to be able to understand what he's saying? haha

Am I supposed to be able to understand what he's saying? haha

No sir :cool:

He killed loads of people. He believed in some apocalypse arising from a war between white people and black people in America or something. This was in the 60s and 70s.

Here's an interesting question lads,if you had to chose a movie soundtrack for your life,what would it be? :p
    For me,it's a toss up between Gattaca,Garden State or Road to Perdition. :)

The Perks of Being A Wallflower is..just..amazing

I think the only thing from that was a little bit irritating .. was emma watson's american accent.. which after about 5 mins became tolerable ..

The dialogue for that ****ing film is ridiculous .. genius stuff

I've never seen the film either. I did byt the book about 2 months ago though (along with like 5 other books), still attempting to work my way around to it though. I'm planning on starting into it once I finish my current one.

No sir :cool:

He killed loads of people. He believed in some apocalypse arising from a war between white people and black people in America or something. This was in the 60s and 70s.

dafuq

I've never seen the film either. I did byt the book about 2 months ago though (along with like 5 other books), still attempting to work my way around to it though. I'm planning on starting into it once I finish my current one.

What're you reading ATM?

Damn, I feel like going reading now that I'm thinking about Perks. Last time I read for pleasure was mid May. I finally get to go finish "Skippy Dies". Night. o/

I think the only thing from that was a little bit irritating .. was emma watson's american accent.. which after about 5 mins became tolerable ..

The dialogue for that ****ing film is ridiculous .. genius stuff

I thought she did a very good job :D

There's this new movie called Bling Ring coiming out. It is essentially a chick flick as far as I can see but her accent is even better in it.

• Advertisement

Here's an interesting question lads,if you had to chose a movie soundtrack for your life,what would it be? :p
    For me,it's a toss up between Gattaca,Garden State or Road to Perdition. :)

That is a tough question.. but the Perks soundtrack is definitely up there .. Garden state soundtrack is amazing though . one of them two

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement