Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-2013 OT Thread Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

If you get offered your first choice on the CAO do you have to accept it or can you u wait to get your 2nd or 3rd offer? I should probably know alll this :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Yeah you have to accept it. Randy's going to go mad when he sees that!

Oops sorry randy! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭Corvo Attano

Yea its order of preference. Your offered what your offered and thats that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Oops sorry randy! :P

I can just imagine Randy sitting there contemplating to figure out if he wants to ban you or beat you with a shtick :pac:

• Advertisement

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    I can just imagine Randy sitting there contemplating to figure out if he wants to ban you or beat you with a shtick :pac:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTiDeUlNS94vnw78PFIn430gWo-lIxGh3afXB8ee8esHtYzVj-LyQ

So is it a bad time to ask what day the first round offers are? :cool: I know it's a few days after the results but what's the actual date? :P

Its undecided. Around the 19th of August I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

If you get offered your first choice on the CAO do you have to accept it or can you u wait to get your 2nd or 3rd offer? I should probably know alll this :pac:
    You will NEVER be offered a choice lower down your list of preferences than you were offered in a previous offer in the CAO!!

You may (if for instance you were offered your second or third choice or whatever) be lucky enough to be offered something HIGHER on your list in a subsequent round, but NEVER lower.

READ THIS!!! :p
    Yeah you have to accept it. Randy's going to go mad when he sees that!
    Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    You know me so well! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

It's only now with 4 days left that I'm doubting my CAO choices...damn you CAO and your final deadline :|

• Advertisement

I have never been so sure as to where I want to go.
    Everybodys fretting and some have nothing down and I've had mine filled since the yoke opened.

Cavan College of Conservative Financial Management? :cool:

Hai now boyo ye just be careful now. The College of Knowledge is some spot I tell ya now. Dont be goin an shlag'n the place.

One question though? Is there a point to putting courses of higher points below yer number one. Like lets say im going to cavan cause its where i want. Is there any point to putting down Dublin courses of higher points? Like

Cavan = 595 points
    Dublin = 600 points
    Galway=625 points
    The rest of the country = 69 points.

Put them down in the order you WANT them, and don't worry too much about points, realistically you never know what will go up or down.

One of the most annoying things that we see here each year is someone saying "Oh, I really wanted X, but I was SURE I wouldn't get the points, so I put it down at number 3 and put Y at number 1 coz it's always been much lower points ... but now I have the points for X, but of course I've been offered Y and I won't be offered X!!"

Another one is "I wanted X, so I put it at Number 1, but I put Z down at number 2 to please the mammy ... and I just missed X by 5 points, and now I'm stuck with Z which I have no interest in!! (Mammy's happy though!! :( )"

That said, it's no harm having a banker in there lower down, especially if you're aiming for fairly high points courses ... a banker being one likely to have lower points, but from which you might be able to transfer to your desired course if you do well in First Year OR could do a Postgrad out of which would get you to the same goal, etc.

Mind you, the Level 6 / 7 list these days often functions as a banker list in its own way.

Well to clarify its

Galway ~ 415 points
    DIT ~ 400 points

But come to think of it I could stick in UCD (~ 470) as a second as long as it wont affect Galway.
    And by stick I mean I was genuinely interested in UCD but the fear griped me that I misunderstood the system an would loose Galway.
    I grasped the concept of more points = better course being blatently untrue and then my safe zone is NUIM down in the 300 zone. Then it goes on to level 7 which are painfully limited for Computer courses.

Sigh. And then I check DCU's computer course and I see what cutting edge behemoth PCs they have to work with
    ca.jpg

But come to think of it I could stick in UCD (~ 470) as a second as long as it wont affect Galway.
    And by stick I mean I was genuinely interested in UCD but the fear griped me that I misunderstood the system an would loose Galway.
    Nope, if you get the points (and minimum requirements obviously) for your number 1, you will get it ... simple as. What's lower down the list won't matter.

Nope, if you get the points (and minimum requirements obviously) for your number 1, you will get it ... simple as. What's lower down the list won't matter.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSMpHdAmv3pai3pyWScUXml6F3_J5A07fsUEfGj5fSDi1jVyQr8Rg

wolf.jpg

What about the whole random selection thing? :confused: can you miss out on your course even if you get extra points??

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Derpington95

Put them down in the order you WANT them, and don't worry too much about points, realistically you never know what will go up or down.

One of the most annoying things that we see here each year is someone saying "Oh, I really wanted X, but I was SURE I wouldn't get the points, so I put it down at number 3 and put Y at number 1 coz it's always been much lower points ... but now I have the points for X, but of course I've been offered Y and I won't be offered X!!"

Another one is "I wanted X, so I put it at Number 1, but I put Z down at number 2 to please the mammy ... and I just missed X by 5 points, and now I'm stuck with Z which I have no interest in!! (Mammy's happy though!! :( )"
    Is this some type of new project maths question? :/

• Advertisement

Yes where X is eternal happiness, Y is eternal contentedness and Z is the antithesis of all you wanted to do.

Yes where X is eternal happiness, Y is eternal contentedness and Z is the antithesis of all you wanted to do.

Do we use simultaneous equations for this one? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭SecondMan

No

3uzpr9.jpg

I see Avicii has created a new genre in music - house country. Check out "Hey Brother" and "Wake me up". Seckkk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭andrew369

Anyone else take a look at UCD's virtual open day thing? I got more information from the apocalypse preachers outside the GPO while on crack, was pretty bad and still don't know between it and NUIM. Wehhhh :(

What about the whole random selection thing? :confused: can you miss out on your course even if you get extra points??
    Nope, random selection only come into play if they have a number of people at the same points, and not enough places for them all, so there is no way you can go out on random selection if you have extra points (by which I assume you mean higher points than the cutoff).

Say they have 200 places to allocate ...

The CAO computer will rank all applicants who have the minimum requirements in order by points, and start allocating places.

So, Mary has 625 points, she gets the first place.

Bridie and Paddy both have 590 points, they get the next two places, and so on ...

Sooo ... it has allocated places to all those with 410 points or over, so it moves to look at those with 405 points.

It now has 22 people on 405 points with only 16 places left. THEN it moves to random selection to allocate that last 16 places ... but only then.

D'ya follow me? :p
    Is this some type of new project maths question? :/
    -.-

Banned!!

Nope, random selection only come into play if they have a number of people at the same points, and not enough places for them all, so there is no way you can go out on random selection if you have extra points (by which I assume you mean higher points than the cutoff).

Say they have 200 places to allocate ...

The CAO computer will rank all applicants who have the minimum requirements in order by points, and start allocating places.

So, Mary has 625 points, she gets the first place.

Bridie and Paddy both have 590 points, they get the next two places, and so on ...

Sooo ... it has allocated places to all those with 410 points or over, so it moves to look at those with 405 points.

It now has 22 people on 405 points with only 16 places left. THEN it moves to random selection to allocate that last 16 places ... but only then.

D'ya follow me? :p

Nobody follows you. You're no sheperd. We're no sheep. Get over yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Derpington95

-.-

Banned!!

I regret nothing! :pac:

• Advertisement

SecondMan wrote: »
    Nobody follows you. You're no sheperd. We're no sheep. Get over yourself.
    This obsession with sheep again, LastsASecondMan? :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement