Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-2013 OT Thread Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

I spent 2 weeks agonising over NUIM or TCD. Eventually bit the bullet on Tuesday and went with TCD. Even though Dublin is crazily expensive I came to the conclusion that I'd regret not getting the whole Dublin experience more.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

andrew369 wrote: »
    Peek if you are going to Dublin try to get accommodation as near to campus as possible. Dublin Bus feels like you are going to Mordor sometimes with how long a trip can take.

Oh god no!

Biomedical Science is in Kevin Street which is like near Stephen's Green. A room there will cost a lot.

I'm glad I won't have to worry about accommodation or anything as long as I chose DCU, UCD, TCD or NUIM..and DIT too but I don't think I will

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭Corvo Attano

peekachoo wrote: »
    I wanted to go to Galway but my course of choice was 560. :pac:

Are you one of those people who won't put down a college because "I won't get the points" and just leaves it out altogether?

Do I need to call Randy?
    Biomedical Science :P
    I think I might stick with NUIM to be honest I may just be freaking out :P

Again its all about WHERE YOU WANT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭andrew369

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Oh god no!

Biomedical Science is in Kevin Street which is like near Stephen's Green. A room there will cost a lot.

Oh bloody hell Kevin Street is the science department? That place makes Soviet office blocks look cheery. Go for NUIM :P

I am stuck between NUIM and UCD for english/philosophy. In NUIM I can mind **** theology students in a nice friendly college, but in UCD I can mind **** D4s and have access to the Dublin social scene. Tough call. :/

>D4s
    >Tough call. :/

No its not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

I don't know what i want anymore cause everytime i do the CAO points calculator I cry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

My Top 5 choices are UL :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Are you one of those people who won't put down a college because "I won't get the points" and just leaves it out altogether?

Do I need to call Randy?

Again its all about WHERE YOU WANT

it's none of that!! I don't care where I go, it's the same course. I think the fact that I don't know where I want to go, that's making it so hard to choose. I'm so complicated :D

yournerd wrote: »
    I don't know what i want anymore cause everytime i do the CAO points calculator I cry.

We all do. When in doubt have faith in the curve :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

My Top 5 choices are UL :O

7 out of 9 of my Lvl 8 courses are in UL. Other is Carlow IT. :P

• Advertisement

31052059.jpg

it's none of that!! I don't care where I go, it's the same course. I think the fact that I don't know where I want to go, that's making it so hard to choose. I'm so complicated :D

When in doubt

Galway

I don't get the CAO
    Lets say I get 525 points and my first is 565
    and second is 495 and third is 525
    What are my chance of getting 1?

And how can they do the bell curve in accounting when every section has a fixed marking scheme?

Oh bloody hell Kevin Street is the science department? That place makes Soviet office blocks look cheery. Go for NUIM :P

True, it's an ugly depressing building.

I hate those 60s brutalist crap :( I wouldn't go to that college even if that was the only place in Ireland I could study my course

dit_lge.jpg

While Bolton Street is just looking sexy :pac:

Kevin-Street-photo.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    7 out of 9 of my Lvl 8 courses are in UL. Other is Carlow IT. :P

UL is the spot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

I don't get the CAO

And how can they do the bell curve in accounting when every section has a fixed marking scheme?

The CAO will go down your list in descending order until it finds a course that you have the points for. So in that scenario, your first choice is excluded straight away. Your second choice is the course you are offered. Anything below your second choice is now gone forever, regardless of points.

Your first choice could still be offered to you if points came down in subsequent rounds, but everything from 3 down is completely gone.

I don't get the CAO

As far as I know you would be offered your second on round one assuming the first didnt come down and if your first came down in round two you would get offered your first.

And the schemes arnt fixed. They change as the papers are marked as there needs to be a certain amounts of A's B's C's and so on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

True, it's an ugly depressing building.

dit_lge.jpg

NUIM it is!! :pac:
    I don't think I'll get Cork (530) but it's my number 1 just in case. Okay stress over :D

Quick QoL, delete this post before Randy sees it :eek:
    I don't get the CAO

As far as I know you would be offered your second on round one assuming the first didnt come down and if your first came down in round two you would get offered your first.

And the schemes arnt fixed. They change as the papers are marked as there needs to be a certain amounts of A's B's C's and so on

So when they say Round one offers 19th of August does that mean everyone who got their 1st choice gets offers?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

So when they say Round one offers 19th of August does that mean everyone who got their 1st choice gets offers?

No. Everyone with SOME course on their form that they got the points for will get an offer. It mightn't be your number 1 choice, but it'll be an offer for something. The only way you won't get anything on the 19th of August is if you don't have the points for anything on your form (Level 7 or 8).

Sort of jealous of all you guys from the country getting the full college experience having a rented room. Between my beard, pipe smoking and commuting people are going to think I am a mature student and outcast me into the realms of the creepy guy who tries to talk to you in a lecture and I will never get to direct an amateur production of a Beckett play. I am now going to order Chinese and cry.

Fúck

1 bloody point.

Sort of jealous of all you guys from the country getting the full college experience having a rented room. Between my beard, pipe smoking and commuting people are going to think I am a mature student and outcast me into the realms of the creepy guy who tries to talk to you in a lecture and I will never get to direct an amateur production of a Beckett play. I am now going to order Chinese and cry.

Okay that is a disadvantage

Don't have to worry about accommodation, don't have to pay but we'll be going to college from our houses, commuting and all that ****e..

There's nothing wrong with having facial hair :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

An I the only one that still doesn't understand how the whole CAO thing works? :O

Hmmm it turns out Comp Sci in DIT is in Kevin Street.

Which would make me want to kill myself less to look at DCU or DIT?

DCU is kind of like a hospital/shopping center turned into a college while DIT has that sort of abandon all hope ye who enter here vibe. DCU would be my choice.

DCU is actually really nice

And their computer science course is excellent. Were you the one that said something about their computers being crap a pages back? :p

never been to DIT but it looks even worse from the photos!

If ye've been to Dublin, ye've been to DIT :pac:

It's a bunch of buildings scattered around the city, some look like houses even. There's no campus or anything. There are plans to build a proper campus at Grangegorman and it will have a Luas link-up too.

• Advertisement

DCU is actually really nice

And their computer science course is excellent. Were you the one that said something about their computers being crap a pages back? :p

DCU is Cavan central of Dublin. There is so much brick in that place it is ridiculous. Its sooooo depressing.

And the DIT one is excellent

And I said the DCU lecturer managed to loose half his presentation which dosent really instil confidence.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement