Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Craft scene in Kilkenny

Options
  • 14-06-2013 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭

I know Kilkenny is an arty town with a vibrant art/craft scene among other things but how does one get involved in something like that? Is there craft fairs or something where you can get a stand or is it one of these things where only full time professionals are allowed? Same for Art week, is there any way of getting involved? Is there any local support groups or anything like that?

:) All comments appreciated! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

As a starting point, I'd get in contact with Kilkenny Arts Office and sign up to their e-bulletin, this gives all information on events, meetings, workshops, exhibitions in the city and county and it comes out every two weeks. It's invaluable if you want to keep an eye on all arts and crafts events happening in Kilkenny. It's also a very good entry point for meeting people and getting involved in the scene.

In terms of the Arts Festival, it's only really geared towards full time professionals, and rarely ones from Kilkenny! As an artist and maker, your chances of getting officially involved in the festival are between slim and none. That might sound harsh but it's unfortunately the case. The best thing you could do is get involved in one of the fringe exhibitions that happen around the city, there are some craft fairs that happen in different venues (Ormonde College, Mother Of Fair Love) and a lot of people just set up shop on the Mayors Walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

Threadhead wrote: »
    As a starting point, I'd get in contact with Kilkenny Arts Office and sign up to their e-bulletin, this gives all information on events, meetings, workshops, exhibitions in the city and county and it comes out every two weeks. It's invaluable if you want to keep an eye on all arts and crafts events happening in Kilkenny. It's also a very good entry point for meeting people and getting involved in the scene.

In terms of the Arts Festival, it's only really geared towards full time professionals, and rarely ones from Kilkenny! As an artist and maker, your chances of getting officially involved in the festival are between slim and none. That might sound harsh but it's unfortunately the case. The best thing you could do is get involved in one of the fringe exhibitions that happen around the city, there are some craft fairs that happen in different venues (Ormonde College, Mother Of Fair Love) and a lot of people just set up shop on the Mayors Walk.

Brilliant, something lik that newsletter is exactly what I was looking for! :) I thought the festival was full time only alright, I thought there would be some craft fairs as part of the festival as well though! :) Thanks so much, I'll keep an eye out for the craft fairs as well.

Advertisement