Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blooms Day Today

• 14-06-2013 10:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭

What's it all about.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Flowers don't you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 836 ✭✭✭fruvai

Bloomsday is June 16th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

So what's it all about, do you really want to know
    Do you want to give or do you just want to take it all and go
    Coz you've got to let it out if you want to let it in
    Got to get a little lovin' in to make it all begin

What a tune!

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

It's just a bunch of people gathering to commemorate Joyce & Ulysses.

Everyone meets up, cycle to one of the locations in the book, then read from the novel. Most of those in attendance quickly realise the book's unintelligible so they head to the pub to get pissed instead.

It's basically a normal Sunday with a bit of literature thrown in.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Hootanany wrote: »
    What's it all about.

There's loads of info here, you should check it out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

It's on Sunday, as far as I can see it's an excuse for people to get pissed in a suit, starting with a breakfast pint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Hootanany wrote: »
    What's it all about.

a celebration of Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

thebaz wrote: »
    a celebration of Dublin

Why didn't he call the book that so?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Why didn't he call the book that so?

Ulysses is the Roman name for Odysseus from the Greek poem Odyssey. It's about his journey home after the Trojan War.

And the book is about his journey through Dublin..etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

He already called one of them Dubliners :P

Joyce met Nora Joyce, his wife, on the 16 June and decided to set the novel on the date for this reason. It charts the adventures of Leopold Bloom and Stephen Dedalus as the cross Dublin by foot. It is a difficult read as it is a phenomenally artistic book. Joyce was a genius. He set up the first cinema in Dublin also before leaving the shores for good. He corresponded with his aunt when writing the book to make sure every detail was perfect. The book is literally a map of Dublin. The last chapter is a breathtaking exploration of the female psyche and ends on a resoundingly positive note despite Joyce's dislike of many Irish people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    He already called one of them Dubliners :P

Joyce met Nora Joyce, his wife, on the 16 June and decided to set the novel on the date for this reason. It charts the adventures of Leopold Bloom and Stephen Dedalus as the cross Dublin by foot. It is a difficult read as it is a phenomenally artistic book. Joyce was a genius. He set up the first cinema in Dublin also before leaving the shores for good. He corresponded with his aunt when writing the book to make sure every detail was perfect. The book is literally a map of Dublin. The last chapter is a breathtaking exploration of the female psyche and ends on a resoundingly positive note despite Joyce's dislike of many Irish people.
    Well that saves me from having to read it then.

cml387 wrote: »
    Well that saves me from having to read it then.

After the first three chapters it becomes a bit of a drag. A lot of people stop after reading the below:
    “INELUCTABLE MODALITY OF THE VISIBLE: AT LEAST THAT IF NO MORE, thought through my eyes. Signatures of all things I am here to read, seaspawn and seawrack, the nearing tide, that rusty boot. Snotgreen, bluesilver, rust: coloured signs. Limits of the diaphane. But he adds: in bodies. Then he was aware of them bodies before of them coloured. How? By knocking his sconce against them, sure. Go easy. Bald he was and a millionaire, maestro di color che sanno. Limit of the diaphane in. Why in? Diaphane, adiaphane. If you can put your five fingers through it, it is a gate, if not a door. Shut your eyes and see.

I stopped reading after

Stately, plump Buck Mulligan came from the stairhead

Mind you, The Dead is brilliant.

I stopped reading after

Stately, plump Buck Mulligan came from the stairhead

Mind you, The Dead is brilliant.

AH should love the first chapter it's a satire of mass.

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    AH should love the first chapter it's a satire of mass.
    Really?

Well I'm off on my holliers tomorrow with kindle so I might try again.

Really?

Well I'm off on my holliers tomorrow with kindle so I might try again.

It is not explicitly evident but the actions that take place in the tower mimic that of a mass. It also takes the piss of what would be considered the Dan Brown commercial fiction of the time in the same chapter will also mirroring the start of the Odyssey.

Advertisement