Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most soul destroying leaving cert subject?

• 14-06-2013 11:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭

For me it would have to be Business. The way most of the course has absolutely no value whatsoever in setting up an enterprise or even working in a business was particularly desolating. The topics covered in unit 2 confirmed my hatred for education. "Explain the characteristics of an entrepreneur?" :rolleyes: Geography deserves a mention as well.

So LC'ers, which subject did you find the most soul destroying?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Physics. Ambiguous fooking questions do my head in.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

lcvp :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭N64

pretty much every subject you study has no value to you whatsoever in the real world (the way they are thought - not the subject topics themselves) - so all of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭andrew369

History, it would take an odd person to enjoy writing 8 pages on Irish economic polices of the 1940s in 40 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

knowing that when going for a job interview you dont sit down till you are told to, was the only decent thing i learned!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

As an exam-Art
    1 trillion percent ART, it took a knife to my heart

Hadnt covered a single thing in the middle section of the paper, I quite possibly failed art of all subjects

Irish or English as a subject to study-Poetry......I will never get it

I'm just awful at Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭comeclosa

Geography, HANDS DOWN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭olazbabes

Projects Maths by far. Does anybody get the feeling that you study hard from your book to understand the basics instead you get a puzzle. Project maths has been a pain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Maths was probably my weakest subject but I didn't find it soul destroying or anything because it's actually applicable to a lot of jobs. Business and Geography were just so boring and have no value really, it was depressing having to learn them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭shootie

Classical studies.

Don't get me wrong, it's really interesting and all. But it's basically like doing 4 extra Macbeths coupled with a History topic and Art.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭Tommyrawr

comeclosa wrote: »
    Geography, HANDS DOWN

Geography definitely. Felt like a stalactite piercing through my heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 CNR94

I'd have to go with Business too... I struggled to drag myself to class everyday. It's not particularly tricky or anything but it's just so full of... ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

For me , English! The most frustrating times in my life concerned the leaving cert English course , i am a repeater therefore i did hamlet and macbeth, about 8 poets, 5 comparatives, plaths name makes me shudder :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

In a way Biology is for me. It's been grand studying it, just learning straight facts, but some of the stuff, especially the plant chapters is just almost nonsensical. Like why do mother cells have to divide and destroy themselves again only to end up make three nuclei? I don't know why was learning that stuff.
    And then there came the exams themselves, tis terrible stuff altogether! :D

kingcobra wrote: »
    In a way Biology is for me. It's been grand studying it, just learning straight facts, but some of the stuff, especially the plant chapters is just almost nonsensical. Like why do mother cells have to divide and destroy themselves again only to end up make three nuclei? I don't know why was learning that stuff.
    And then there came the exams themselves, tis terrible stuff altogether! :D

Although Biology is my favorite subject, I hated the plant chapters... they're so boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Only one mention of Maths so far?

Seems they're getting soft on ye whippersnappers...

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Legion.

Maths: Some of the stuff was just ridiculous. Had no interest in it, and i cant believe the time I spent punishing myself in HL although I hated it so much.

Geography: Just piles and piles and piles of random information. Some of its useful for pub quizzes, or if you spend your days watching 'The Chase'. Other than that, only useful if you wish to pursue a career related to it.

Would disagree with you on business, the stuff about the different types of business, how they're formed and their advantages etc has real life applications. As does learning about the acts, your rights etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I think irish was the worst for me. Going to 40 mins of class 4 times a week to do something in which I had zero interest in.

I cant string a sentence together, my oral examiner couldnt get me out the door quick enough and when on her stopwatch it was 10 mins so asked me to leave. Still got a C3 in ordinary with learning a thing.

One year on I have not used a single thing even through I learnt it for 14 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

hfallada wrote: »
    I think was the worst for me. Going to 40 mins of class 4 times a week to do something in which I had zero interest in.

I cant string a sentence together, my oral examiner couldnt get me out the door quick enough and when on her stopwatch it was 10 mins so asked me to leave. Still got a C3 in ordinary with learning a thing.

One year on I have not used a single thing even through I learnt it for 14 years

What subject

hfallada wrote: »
    I think was the worst for me. Going to 40 mins of class 4 times a week to do something in which I had zero interest in.

I think you accidentally a word.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Legion. wrote: »
    Would disagree with you on business, the stuff about the different types of business, how they're formed and their advantages etc has real life applications. As does learning about the acts, your rights etc.

I don't think so tbh, I think it's simplified to such a level that it isn't of any benefit at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

English. Great if your going to be a politician because it's just who can spoof the best and make bull**** links to poems and between texts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

BIOLOGY.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

People saying biology? :eek: That was without a doubt, along with chemistry, the only subject I had a general interest in. Horses for courses and all that.

English and Irish were mine. I don't think I'll ever need to discuss The play Antigone in detail and explain how it affected me. Such a waste of time for me 'cause I have no interest in doing anything English related in college. Irish too. I mean, do we really need to know how to talk about the poetry of Caitlín Maude? I would have preferred a bigger emphasis on speaking the language. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Geekness1234

Geography.
    Not because ROTE learning SRPs is stupid,the exam is a crock of sh!t or the fact that its mind numbingly boring.
    Moreso it's soul destroying because we are O.K. With the fact that for a subject,there is no emphasis put on intelligence,rather vomiting information under time pressure.
    What's worst is that we haven't made an attempt to change this,and we see it as O.K. And a legitimate way to gauge a student's academic capacity.
    That is why,IMO,Geography is the most soul destroying subject on the LC course.

But that's just me. :p

Geography! I hated it so much that I didn't start studying the course until 5 days before the exam. The coursework was a load of toss as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Physics. Bollix. Load of questions which can be interpreted about 10 different ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭EvM

shootie wrote: »
    Classical studies.

Don't get me wrong, it's really interesting and all. But it's basically like doing 4 extra Macbeths coupled with a History topic and Art.

Yeah, from what I've heard about it from my friends doing it, I'm glad I did Latin instead :p.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Moromaster

Chemistry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Thataone

So far I've sort of wrapped myself in a bubble of optimism and so everything has been "grand", regardless of how well I did in the paper.
    Let's just say, I've probably set myself up for a disappointment on results day. But then, generally that's how I roll...

Advertisement