Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most soul destroying leaving cert subject?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭user.name

Irish! Nothing can explain my hate for the language! Pointless to be honest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

I found it to be chemistry. I chose it in TY coz' I thought it would involve making bombs and fireworks... none of that, sadly. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

I'm gonna say art.
    Don't get me wrong it's my favourite subject and even outside of school I paint a lot, I even enjoyed the art history!

Just what gets me is the examiners. :eek:
    you can go into your craft and produce your favourite piece you've ever made and be absolutely delighted with it. And well, if the examiner doesn't get it, doesnt like the style...lost marks! You just never know how it's gonna be marked.
    So whereas maths, geography and Irish burned a deep fire of hatred in my heart everyday, at least you know they're not marked to personal taste. :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,671 ✭✭✭✭Daniel7740

Goin to say phys/chem , English, HL Irish and HL maths when before I dropped back to OL in both of them

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭YoursSincerely

Accounting, its by far the most mind numbing subject I do!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭RabbitHearted

RELIGION.

Horrific..

(as an exam subject)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭AndyMc

I going to go with English simply for poetry.

Geo - Understanding of erthly processes and why the Earth ;ooks how it does.
    Business - An idea of how businesses work, expand, globalise, are analised, ect
    Chem -An understanding of why thins are how they are and why things have certain properties.
    Irish -Language of my country.
    Maths - Engineering, programming, everyday use
    German - Multilingual skills are a big plus and would make going to Germany a bit smoother

English:
    Comprehending - Tests skills of comprehending
    Composing - Tests skills of writing

Macbeth -....
    Comparison -....
    Poetry -....

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

The Leaving itself is soul-destroying. All the subjects I sat back and deserved to fail or get Cs in went really well for me, maybe even some As there, and biology, one of the the only subjects I can genuinely say I worked my backside off for goes belly-up :( Music and chemistry had better go well, because although I wouldn't say I'd have a natural aptitude for chemistry I do work hard in them, but one sitting of an exam in each subject isn't fair :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MWick94

English! It really ruined reading and watching films for me, because all we ever had to do was analyse the texts and break them down looking for every symbol and metaphor possible. I miss being able to watch something or read a book and just enjoy the plotline for what it is!

Business was fairly dreary too. Nothing in that subject would ever lead to the genuine success of an enterprise. Half of the syllabus is over-simplified, elongated and outdated!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

MWick94 wrote: »
    English! It really ruined reading and watching films for me, because all we ever had to do was analyse the texts and break them down looking for every symbol and metaphor possible. I miss being able to watch something or read a book and just enjoy the plotline for what it is!

Business was fairly dreary too. Nothing in that subject would ever lead to the genuine success of an enterprise. Half of the syllabus is over-simplified, elongated and outdated!!

If I have self-belief, self-motivation and am ruthless, I am a successful entrepreneur.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

If I have self-belief, self-motivation and am ruthless, I am a successful entrepreneur.

characteristic of being alive is also a must-have i reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

MWick94 wrote: »

I loved Business as an exam subject, I wish all exams had a similar format/exam layout/ability to comprehend as much as business.
    I think its a model subject and all Leaving cert subjects should look to it and try to base themselves somehow around the formation of the business subject. :D

I sense this is going to be an unpopular opinion. :o

HugsiePie wrote: »
    I loved Business as an exam subject, I wish all exams had a similar format/exam layout/ability to comprehend as much as business.
    I think its a model subject and all Leaving cert subjects should look to it and try to base themselves somehow around the formation of the business subject. :D

A perfect example of what is wrong with this country.

You merely like business because it can effectively be considered easy points.
    I suppose you hate the challenging aspects of project maths too.

Have I ever told you the definition of insanity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

A perfect example of what is wrong with this country.

You merely like business because it can effectively be considered easy points.
    I suppose you hate the challenging aspects of project maths too.

No. I actually enjoyed it,and its not easy points, I could sing everything you need to know to you cause I found it easy to understand, I can see the point in learning business and how it will affect everyone someway in their daily lifes, problem is I never get above a C in my exams cause I go so indebth into my answers. I will never see how I will ever need to know 90% of the junk we learn in other subjects.

I also reckon its a fair exam, I actually find the ABQ very good for showing your understanding of business in everyday life.

My teacher also helped to make it enjoyable, so that probably added to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

I think accounting is a good subject cause it prepared me for my job so not complaining and economics makes you aware how the country is run and about the current climate :)

The problem with business is that the marking scheme is awkwar an specific as hell

No. I actually enjoyed it,and its not easy points, I could sing everything you need to know to you cause I found it easy to understand, I can see the point in learning business and how it will affect everyone someway in their daily lifes, problem is I never get above a C in my exams cause I go so indebth into my answers. I will never see how I will ever need to know 90% of the junk we learn in other subjects.

I also reckon its a fair exam, I actually find the ABQ very good for showing your understanding of business in everyday life.

My teacher also helped to make it enjoyable, so that probably added to it.
    My teacher had a great rack too tbf. To lower the intellectual tone of this thread.

My teacher had a great rack too tbf. To lower the intellectual tone of this thread.

I feel your pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭aoifemcg94

It's kills me to see people write Irish here.
    By no means am I good at Irish (hoping for a C ) but it is our language and is what defines us as Irish apart from Football and the dancing.

Some mightn't think it's important but it really is ! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭rugrats

Irish. A lovely language, lots of lovely literature, ridiculously stupid course. Makes me want to puke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

aoifemcg94 wrote: »
    It's kills me to see people write Irish here.
    By no means am I good at Irish (hoping for a C ) but it is our language and is what defines us as Irish apart from Football and the dancing.

Some mightn't think it's important but it really is ! :D

Curriculum's a huge part of the problem tbh.

The government have been saying for as long as I can remember that they're going to reform it, and aside from the new 40% oral (which is fantastic) it's still as backward and idiotic as it ever was.

I loved Irish, one of the few subjects I can say i genuinely enjoyed, but it's clear that it needs changing, and I wouldn't blame anyone for saying it's a soul destroying subject.

I could write at length about how I'd change it, but this isn't the place. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭David086

English, Irish, Maths, French, Business, Economics and Biology....

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭aoifemcg94

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Curriculum's a huge part of the problem tbh.

The government have been saying for as long as I can remember that they're going to reform it, and aside from the new 40% oral (which is fantastic) it's still as backward and idiotic as it ever was.

I loved Irish, one of the few subjects I can say i genuinely enjoyed, but it's clear that it needs changing, and I wouldn't blame anyone for saying it's a soul destroying subject.

I could write at length about how I'd change it, but this isn't the place. :pac:

I know I totally agree with you.
    The 40% is great because its encourages you speak Irish which is what the language needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Legion.

Irish is grand but the curriculum is horrendous. The Sraith Pictuiri, or the prose/poetry/drama making up 16% and there are a million things they can ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Didn't you say in your Study Log that your Mum teaches you Business? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Uh oh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,671 ✭✭✭✭Daniel7740

Would make more sense for Irish I the oral was 60% and there was only 10 straith pictúirs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

From his study log:
    Doing business outside of the school as my mom teaches it in another school, so I get all the notes and what not...

• Advertisement

Il get RTÉ on the horn

Advertisement