Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

True Detective [HBO] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Brendan Filone

Grimebox wrote: »
    I won't be holding my breathe for the next season.

injUTOXoxDMtr.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

I don't care if season 2 ends up crap tbh. It will still be a fantastic show if it only gets one season as good as this. I'm glad because it felt like HBO was on the wane recently. Boardwalk and GoT are good fun but hardly top-tier drama like Sopranos and The Wire were.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Anachrony

snausages wrote: »
    I'm glad because it felt like HBO was on the wane recently. Boardwalk and GoT are good fun but hardly top-tier drama like Sopranos and The Wire were.

Game of Thrones is not a network on the wane.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Thanks to articles making the connection between this book and the show, "The King in Yellow" is now #9 on Amazon's best seller's list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

ixoy wrote: »
    Thanks to articles making the connection between this book and the show, "The King in Yellow" is now #9 on Amazon's best seller's list.
    Is that book supposed to be Bat Sh1t crazy or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

its free for Kindle so I'm sure that has helped a lot.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

yabadabado wrote: »
    its free for Kindle so I'm sure that has helped a lot.
    Not sure if that's how it's working here? Are Kindle sales incorporated into their overall book sales or is it just printed books?
    Regardless, I think it's very safe to say that the show's driven these sales (and most likely the previously linked to io9 article). Shows how engrossed people are if thousands of people are pouring over an obscure 1895 text for clues / foreshadowing of a show they've only seen five episodes of.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Anachrony

Is that book supposed to be Bat Sh1t crazy or something?

It's a book of short stories. Some of them hint at a touch of supernatural horror, which inspired HP Lovecraft to write his Cthulhu Mythos. One of the recurring themes is a book within the book called the King in Yellow, which has been known to drive readers mad. The actual book only includes short passages from the fictional book. The narrators of some of the stories have already read the book and are thus unreliable narrators.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Anachrony wrote: »
    It's a book of short stories. Some of them hint at a touch of supernatural horror, which inspired HP Lovecraft to write his Cthulhu Mythos. One of the recurring themes is a book within the book called the King in Yellow, which has been known to drive readers mad. The actual book only includes short passages from the fictional book. The narrators of some of the stories have already read the book and are thus unreliable narrators.

Think the bit about unreliable narrators is most interesting about that cos of audience relying on what Hart and Cohle have to say. I think other than that the Yellow King is just a reference but don't see the actual YK relating to the book but could be wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Not sure if that's how it's working here? Are Kindle sales incorporated into their overall book sales or is it just printed books?
    Regardless, I think it's very safe to say that the show's driven these sales (and most likely the previously linked to io9 article). Shows how engrossed people are if thousands of people are pouring over an obscure 1895 text for clues / foreshadowing of a show they've only seen five episodes of.

I thought Kindle sales were incorporated into the overall figure but I could be wrong.
    Without a doubt the show has caused the spike in sales but if they are including kindle sales I would think that has a huge bearing on the sales figures .
    I downloaded it the other day but wouldn't have bothered other than it's free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Anyone else addicted to the theme song? Have it playing in the car constantly, driving around like I'm Woody Harrelson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

And this one after the camera pans out at the end of that scene

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

I literally stop and get the shazam app out when every song comes on,excellent soundtrack to the series

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Someone on reddit has been making a spotify playlist

http://open.spotify.com/user/jacke_spot/playlist/5TcuvHTLiFfWbqZSEzoMb5

And here is the thread about it

reddit

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Brendan Filone

Scene from the new episode this Sunday:

Rust has a serious capacity to a complete dickhead

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

It is the truth though, Marty is useless at being a father, husband and detective but gets all the accolades for Ruste's work. Marty insulted him too in the scene. Ruste is not affected by peer pressure but Marty is your typical macho meat head who has gotten to where he has gotten because he is a good liar and is affable. Ruste on the other hand does actual police work and because of this he has no friends as everyone else is intimidated of him.

This scenario actually happens in most professions in the real world too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

He has a point though.
    After the "shoot out" with Reggie, Marty got a promotion and Rust would have got shafted except Marty said he insisted that Rust got an award for bravery. Basically Rust did the whole thing ( finding Reggie, through Ginger) and Marty got the credit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

He is right. Marty is very good at twisting things to make himself look like the good guy, but at this rate Rust knows him better than anyone, and knows that not only is he a f*ck up in his personal life, he's cruising off the back of Rust's work.
    Marty got the most of the praise for the situation with Reggie Ladoux, even though it was Rust's quick thinking that saved them from losing their jobs and all their credibility. It was Marty's lack of control that got them into that perilous position in the first place. He's a loose cannon, and if he hadn't come out blasting, they may have been able to hold onto Reggie Ladoux and get the information they needed out of him. Since Marty would rather shoot first and ask questions later, they've lost what could have been a key figure in the investigation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Anachrony wrote: »
    Game of Thrones is not a network on the wane.

It's alright, but not the same league as some of HBO's greatest stuff. I'd put this up there with Sopranos if it stays good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Eod100 wrote: »
    Think the bit about unreliable narrators is most interesting about that cos of audience relying on what Hart and Cohle have to say. I think other than that the Yellow King is just a reference but don't see the actual YK relating to the book but could be wrong!

They're not strictly unreliable narrators in the usual sense in True Detective though, because the flashbacks are what truly happened, the writer has confirmed this in interviews. We're not relying on their version of events to tell us what happened. We're always aware when they're lying to the other detectives and when their version of events doesn't match the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Just a small point I noticed in the last episode, when Rust and Marty came back to the office after the shooting/rescue, the chief welcomed them and said something like "so you didn't get shot on me?" to Rust, obviously in jest, but I wonder if it had a sincere meaning too, as the chief obviously could see how relentless an investigator Rust was, if he was the yellow king then a dead Rust would be preferable.

I only noticed this as there are indications that law enforcement are involved, and didn't Marty say something like "it's right under our nose"

Anyway, just a small thought!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Yeah, I definitely think it's becoming more apparent that law enforcement have something to hide. There's definitely clues being laid out that someone up on high is pulling some strings.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

5starpool wrote: »

Also, present day Woody looks very much like the older Roy Munson from Kingpin, and I keep expecting him to have a rubber hand. He even has the big ring on his right hand in the interrogation scenes :D

Now you've got me hoping that Bill "Ghostbustin-Ass" Murray is the big bad.

"Sometimes I wake up and Big Ern is already there, weaving hell baskets and sharpening antlers"

Great show, really enjoying it so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Episode downloaded - check
    feckin work to get through - check
    see you at 7pm True Detective!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    It is the truth though, Marty is useless at being a father, husband and detective but gets all the accolades for Ruste's work. Marty insulted him too in the scene. Ruste is not affected by peer pressure but Marty is your typical macho meat head who has gotten to where he has gotten because he is a good liar and is affable. Ruste on the other hand does actual police work and because of this he has no friends as everyone else is intimidated of him.

This scenario actually happens in most professions in the real world too.

They're BOTH dicks! But wow, what a compelling pair of dicks to ...eh.. watch.

Given the choice though, I'd prefer Marty as a partner, Rust would spend a lot of the time gagged in the trunk. :D

"If you get the opportunity, you should kill yourself"

Holy ****

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Rust is definitely human anyway after that episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

What an episode! This show just keeps getting better!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Proctor's niece from Banshee - love her! Man she is getting some amount of flesh out on tv

Advertisement