Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

True Detective [HBO] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

I've such an attachment to Rust after only 6 episodes, its crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

He has lost my sympathy in the latest episode though. He really isn't a nice person, even if I enjoy his philosophies. I really thought he was going to resist Maggie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Grimebox wrote: »
    He has lost my sympathy in the latest episode though. He really isn't a nice person, even if I enjoy his philosophies. I really thought he was going to resist Maggie

I thought so too but it just highlights how he's his own worst enemy, he can't resist drink, women and running his mouth. Quite an enjoyable character though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Right so I said at the start of this thread that I was going to wait until this was over to start, I had nothing to watch on Saturday and just couldn't hold out any longer, I just finished the six episodes that are out and wow, just wow, this is one of the best that I have ever seen and the pilot is probably the best pilot I have ever seen, it was just incredible.

I am completely and utterly enthralled and in a way I am now kickin myself that I have 2 weeks to wait until the conclusion, this is the best thing on TV and may just be the most excellent series that has ever graced our screens. The production is fantastic the music, which is by the excellent T.Bone Burnett it on a new level. I have been following his work for a few years and he is one of the best out there but he has reached new highs on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Well...that confirmed one thing - Rust is a sociopath. No empathy or human sympathy. The logical conclusion due to a poor future when found guilty of killing your kids is kill yourself. Therefore find an opportunity. He's innocent of all the fuss and bother of tying up and killing kids himself. They're annoying granted but easily ignored.
    As for Woody...well he has his own little finding God, justice for the wrongdoer universe going on in his head. And shooting the weird bloke just because he found some kids in the barn does not ring true. Hardened detectives have found worse (Fred West take a bow) and put the cuffs on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Well...that confirmed one thing - Rust is a sociopath. No empathy or human sympathy. The logical conclusion due to a poor future when found guilty of killing your kids is kill yourself. Therefore find an opportunity. He's innocent of all the fuss and bother of tying up and killing kids himself. They're annoying granted but easily ignored.
    As for Woody...well he has his own little finding God, justice for the wrongdoer universe going on in his head. And shooting the weird bloke just because he found some kids in the barn does not ring true. Hardened detectives have found worse (Fred West take a bow) and put the cuffs on.

Take a look Reggie when he comes out of the basement and have a thing of what was after happening to the kids. That is why Marty lost it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Wow! Maggie is a bit twisted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Just finished latest ep, pieces of the jigsaw are fitting nicely together, Can't wait for the last 2. This was tweeted by Nic Pizzolatto recently along with ''Sensible advice to viewers, I think'', worth a read:

http://www.uproxx.com/tv/2014/02/true-detective-theories-misguided-opinion/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

oh lawd
    dat ass

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

This reminds me of my first viewing of The West Wing.

Solely that I certainly havent a clue what is fully going on but Im enthralled by it regardless and cant wait to watch it all again for it to make sense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

What's going on with Marty and all the tampons? Soaking them with booze and putting them up his ass?
    Didn't his superior mention something to him about it too?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

At the end of 6, Marty checking his gun before he goes for a drink with Rust. First thought is that he is wary of Rust, second one is that he wants to kill him for ruining his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Effects wrote: »
    What's going on with Marty and all the tampons? Soaking them with booze and putting them up his ass?
    Didn't his superior mention something to him about it too?

I assumed he was getting them for the daughter and his boss Leroy called him a human tampon because of the state he was in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

At the end of 6, Marty checking his gun before he goes for a drink with Rust. First thought is that he is wary of Rust, second one is that he wants to kill him for ruining his life.

I think the line which said no one forgives, they just have short term memories was an important point that they wanted to bring up.

It wouldn't surprise me to see the boys husling together to solve this case regardless of past differences.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

That many though?

Yer man Tuttle is some creep!

Ep 7 preview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBvXKe-HMhA

14 sec mark, is that Cohle in the mask?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

I am going to miss Rust when this season ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I assumed he was getting them for the daughter and his boss Leroy called him a human tampon because of the state he was in.

He was getting them for the ladies in his lfe - shopping for wimmins stuff then stopping by a bar to pick up a dixie chick...typical dad stuff.
    I wonder if Prince Charles is following this - he may have had an uncomfortable moment at the "human tampon" reference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Grimebox wrote: »

He has never pretended to be a nice person though

He has his weaknesses and he knows them, he embraces them to a point and lets the darkness within guide him a lot.

Fascinating character

Edit: Also, to counter the suggestion he has no human empathy/sympathy because he told the woman if she gets a chance to kill herself

I would see it as the opposite, he is able to empathize so much with the monsters of this world even, that he genuinely doesnt want her to suffer since she is actually mentally ill, he doesnt hold her fully responsible for her actions, in the same way he would have held whats his name in the woods accountable for what he did with the kids etc

I dont think he was telling her that because he was trying to be a cold hearted bastard, I think he genuinely felt sympathy for her situation and because of her medical condition that suicide is the kindest option she has.

She didnt consciously choose to do evil things, she was compelled by sickness is my take on why he has some compassion for her

• Advertisement

Eod100 wrote: »

Yeah I think so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I too read Rust's "kill yourself" line to be out of compassion rather than disgust. He is such a fascinating character and his absence will be sorely felt in season two.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Another good episode. Favourite show at the moment! Anyone else get the suspicion that maybe Rust's daughter was actually kidnapped possible and didn't die in a car crash? Could be completely wrong but Rust seems to have a very personally attachment to missing person files. Only reason I could see this not being the case is because the police would have to have it on record and then would probably give him some slack and not give him those cases. Anyway why do people think he is so obsessed with it and was so sure they didn't catch the right guy? Is it just a the sort of detective he is or does he have some personal connection? Going to miss this cast.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Another good episode. Favourite show at the moment! Anyone else get the suspicion that maybe Rust's daughter was actually kidnapped possible and didn't die in a car crash? Could be completely wrong but Rust seems to have a very personally attachment to missing person files. Only reason I could see this not being the case is because the police would have to have it on record and then would probably give him some slack and not give him those cases. Anyway why do people think he is so obsessed with it and was so sure they didn't catch the right guy? Is it just a the sort of detective he is or does he have some personal connection? Going to miss this cast.

I just think it's because he has nothing else in his life, yes he got married after the case was closed but that didn't last, he is completely obsessed with his work, even his house is just a mattress on the floor, it looks as though nobody lives there, there are no material possessions, not even a picture of his daughter, just a mattress on the floor and a coffee machine. The place is just littered with evidence and artefacts from the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

i came across a great theory after watching the promo for episode 7
    Marty's ex-father in law is involved somehow. Marty's daughter was molested by the cult/yellow king hence the barbie doll gangrape scene/sexually explicit drawings, threesome/captain of varsity slut team behavior. the break-in at tuttle's house is gonna be cohle getting that footage he shows Hart. theories. just theories
    it would explain a lot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

ricero wrote: »
    i came across a great theory after watching the promo for episode 7
    Marty's ex-father in law is involved somehow. Marty's daughter was molested by the cult/yellow king hence the barbie doll gangrape scene/sexually explicit drawings, threesome/captain of varsity slut team behavior. the break-in at tuttle's house is gonna be cohle getting that footage he shows Hart. theories. just theories
    it would explain a lot

Yeah the theory has come up already, very plausible

I think that theory involving the father in law is reaching. I would be very surprised if he is featured again at all. While it does explain a few things quite nicely, as Marty said in the first episode, sometimes you can attach a narrative and run away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,883 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Eod100 wrote: »

no discussing next weeks ep without spoilers

• Registered Users Posts: 11,883 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

i thought this after the last ep but they gave up The case a bit too easy didn't they, i thought it was apparent to them then that there was more people involved, they never found the man with the facial scars etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I've had a feeling since the first or second episode when Marty said that himself and Rust fell out over something personal that Maggie was at the heart of it. Thought there was a bit of sexual tension between them, she seemed to like how up front he was, in comparison to her husband. Like someone said, I really thought he was going to resist her for a second though, he seemed really in two minds about it, and they both instantly regretted it the second it was over. Weird moment (the music was really fcuking weird for that scene too).

I think the way the female characters are kind of under-written is intentional - they live in a society dominated by men with terrible attitudes towards women and skewed religious morals, as evidenced by the fact that women are the ones being victimized in a variety of ways from murder to sexual objectification - but I'd still like to get a bit more insight into Maggie as a character. Like in something like The Sopranos, where quite a bit of time was dedicated to understanding Carmela, and through her we came to understand a lot more about Tony - why he seems so irresistible to women, his ability to talk everyone around to his way of thinking and manipulate a situation to his liking - Maggie could be a great way of understanding more about Marty, or even Rust. I think I get what the writer is doing, but I still think she could be fleshed out a little more.

But back to the episode, Tuttle is such a sketchy individual. He knows what's up. I liked the scene with him and Rust. A sense of foreboding there a bit. I just hope it doesn't go too down the creepy preacher side of things. It's becoming more apparent that religion is involved somehow, but I hope it doesn't end up being something that's been done, or something too familiar.

Some stuff I still feel were left a bit open-ended: Why did Rust's relationship with the doctor fall apart? What's all this about Marty finding God at one point? Just kinda glossed over that.

I really enjoyed Leroy in this episode too. His exasperation with having to deal with these two! :pac:

Advertisement