Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

True Detective [HBO] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Interesting to see three people in masks searching the house. Wonder who the other one is?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

But back to the episode, Tuttle is such a sketchy individual. He knows what's up. I liked the scene with him and Rust. A sense of foreboding there a bit. I just hope it doesn't go too down the creepy preacher side of things. It's becoming more apparent that religion is involved somehow, but I hope it doesn't end up being something that's been done, or something too familiar.

Some stuff I still feel were left a bit open-ended: Why did Rust's relationship with the doctor fall apart? What's all this about Marty finding God at one point? Just kinda glossed over that.

I really enjoyed Leroy in this episode too. His exasperation with having to deal with these two! :pac:

There's been stuff left open at the end of each episode tbf, it's just not wrapped up neatly in one ep. And speaking for myself, but I don't really think everything needs to be covered in 8 segments. Unless marty's religious episode or rust drifting from the doctor have any pertinent implications on the story.
    they still have a hell of a lot to fit in during the last two.

I think it will be the creepy preacher thing.

someone involved in the foundation will be important enough to tuttle that he needed to cover it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

kryogen wrote: »
    He has never pretended to be a nice person though

He has his weaknesses and he knows them, he embraces them to a point and lets the darkness within guide him a lot.

Fascinating character

Edit: Also, to counter the suggestion he has no human empathy/sympathy because he told the woman if she gets a chance to kill herself

I would see it as the opposite, he is able to empathize so much with the monsters of this world even, that he genuinely doesnt want her to suffer since she is actually mentally ill, he doesnt hold her fully responsible for her actions, in the same way he would have held whats his name in the woods accountable for what he did with the kids etc

I dont think he was telling her that because he was trying to be a cold hearted bastard, I think he genuinely felt sympathy for her situation and because of her medical condition that suicide is the kindest option she has.

She didnt consciously choose to do evil things, she was compelled by sickness is my take on why he has some compassion for her

^^
    This, spot on, he would have a lot of empathy for kids - especially since he lost his own daughter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Leftist wrote: »
    There's been stuff left open at the end of each episode tbf, it's just not wrapped up neatly in one ep. And speaking for myself, but I don't really think everything needs to be covered in 8 segments. Unless marty's religious episode or rust drifting from the doctor have any pertinent implications on the story.
    they still have a hell of a lot to fit in during the last two.

I think it will be the creepy preacher thing.

someone involved in the foundation will be important enough to tuttle that he needed to cover it up.

I wouldn't mind if it's something surrounding religion, but having a whole Ted Haggard/hypocritical preacher-style story wouldn't appeal to me too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

I know its one of the best TV shows of this or the last decade, but some superficial musings on it...

As soon as I saw the girl from Banshee in it, I was waiting for her to sleep with the sheriff, as she did in Banshee. Took about 10 minutes :D Talk about specific typecasting (I think they used a different actress than the 1995 segment?)

Now I'm just waiting for his younger daughter who's also in The Walking Dead to turn psychopathic. They think they've problems with the older sibling, just they wait.

Marty had some cracking lines this episode-
    "I listened to all that and it made zero logic to me. And the last part, complete gibberish"

"I'm just glad to be sitting here with three beautiful women watching... what the **** is this ****, dumb blonds of the Vallys"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

As soon as I saw the girl from Banshee in it, I was waiting for her to sleep with the sheriff, as she did in Banshee. Took about 10 minutes :D Talk about specific typecasting (I think they used a different actress than the 1995 segment?)

Lili Simmons played the part in both episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I just cannot see a happy ending in this programme. As Reggie said Time is a flat circle, so I can't really see any major "ending" as such as the same thing will just keep happening...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

DrumSteve wrote: »
    I just cannot see a happy ending in this programme. As Reggie said Time is a flat circle, so I can't really see any major "ending" as such as the same thing will just keep happening...
    Yep. Rust is going to uncover something horrific and maybe convince Marty of the truth but that's it. He won't be able to fight the corruption in the police or the local church. He'll take some matters into his own hands (one dead church minister at least) but he'll be framed for the other killings. The abuse and killings will go on. The circle will continue.

ixoy wrote: »
    Yep. Rust is going to uncover something horrific and maybe convince Marty of the truth but that's it. He won't be able to fight the corruption in the police or the local church. He'll take some matters into his own hands (one dead church minister at least) but he'll be framed for the other killings. The abuse and killings will go on. The circle will continue.

I think they'll try frame him, but he will probably die before they can bring a case against him.

Worst case scenario is that he dies and all the crimes are pinned on his legacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

"The man with the scars on his face was the worst"

?url=http%3A%2F%2Fd1oi7t5trwfj5d.cloudfront.net%2F30%2F29%2Fc146bb414e08b9c1b43bff53516b%2Fresizes%2F500%2Fepisode-06-05-1920.jpg

Maybe?....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

ixoy wrote: »

Last scene will be of loads of characters (many you'd never suspect) dressed up in pagan gear putting antlers on Rust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

grizzly wrote: »
    Last scene will be of loads of characters (many you'd never suspect) dressed up in pagan gear putting antlers on Rust.

No. Not the bees!

grizzly wrote: »

While I agree that'd be a pretty awesome ending to the series, I can't see it happening (although if this was say, American Horror Story I could). It won't be a happy ending, but the sheer force of writing in this programme means that they probably won't be killed off. The demand for their return could be massive for the next series, that even if they weren't going to come back, they just might.

Though I would trust HBO to do the right thing; which in this case (and for sheer epicness) one of Rust or Marty have to die.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭mccard

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Right so I said at the start of this thread that I was going to wait until this was over to start, I had nothing to watch on Saturday and just couldn't hold out any longer, I just finished the six episodes that are out and wow, just wow, this is one of the best that I have ever seen and the pilot is probably the best pilot I have ever seen, it was just incredible.

I am completely and utterly enthralled and in a way I am now kickin myself that I have 2 weeks to wait until the conclusion, this is the best thing on TV and may just be the most excellent series that has ever graced our screens. The production is fantastic the music, which is by the excellent T.Bone Burnett it on a new level. I have been following his work for a few years and he is one of the best out there but he has reached new highs on this.

http://open.spotify.com/user/fippel/playlist/3xJdEsnAl2mxqnnF7wAWxH

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Another good episode. Favourite show at the moment! Anyone else get the suspicion that maybe Rust's daughter was actually kidnapped possible and didn't die in a car crash? Could be completely wrong but Rust seems to have a very personally attachment to missing person files. Only reason I could see this not being the case is because the police would have to have it on record and then would probably give him some slack and not give him those cases. Anyway why do people think he is so obsessed with it and was so sure they didn't catch the right guy? Is it just a the sort of detective he is or does he have some personal connection? Going to miss this cast.
    Sounds like you're mixing it up with CSI or Criminal Minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Effects wrote: »
    Sounds like you're mixing it up with CSI or Criminal Minds.

Ha how so? Cant deny that there is some twist yet to come about the case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Ha how so? Cant deny that there is some twist yet to come about the case

That's the thing. Unlike CSI, there won't be a twist. The director alluded to this already. People are conditioned to expect some kind of twist and he doesn't like that.

I loved the music that came in towards the end of Rust's meeting with Tuttle. Really creepy vibe to it

Grimebox wrote: »
    That's the thing. Unlike CSI, there won't be a twist. The director alluded to this already. People are conditioned to expect some kind of twist and he doesn't like that.

I loved the music that came in towards the end of Rust's meeting with Tuttle. Really creepy vibe to it

True, but there is still a lot with this case that we don't know about that might shock us yet. And to be fair the whole part about not catching the real killer was already a twist in the plot so you never know. Yeah the music for the entire season has been great. Love movies/tv shows that actually successfully use the music to add to the tension and creepiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Shows like Lost have really ruined the way we watch TV. Now we're all getting caught up in (over-)analysing incidental detail, trying to figure out the 'answer' or the 'twist' before it comes.

I was delighted that Rust's suspicions regarding Tuttle were so bluntly laid out in the latest episode. True Detective doesn't seem so concerned with the story or revealing the identity of the big-bad, but rather on the characters and their relationships.

I'm keen to find out the full story, but whatever happens with the narrative, True Detective has already been a landmark TV show in terms of characters, acting and direction.

Shows like Lost have really ruined the way we watch TV. Now we're all getting caught up in (over-)analysing incidental detail, trying to figure out the 'answer' or the 'twist' before it comes.

I was delighted that Rust's suspicions regarding Tuttle were so bluntly laid out in the latest episode. True Detective doesn't seem so concerned with the story or revealing the identity of the big-bad, but rather on the characters and their relationships.

I'm keen to find out the full story, but whatever happens with the narrative, True Detective has already been a landmark TV show in terms of characters, acting and direction.

The acting has been incredible and the relationships has been by far the best I've see in a TV show. Hope the cast they get next year is just as good if not better! But plot twists have been out way before Lost and to be fair we already had one in this show, it is human nature that were going to be curious and guess how the show will end. I just can't wait to see how the finish it, have a feeling if we are expecting a happy ending we will be very disappointed though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Which twist are you thinking of?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

The acting has been incredible and the relationships has been by far the best I've see in a TV show. Hope the cast they get next year is just as good if not better! But plot twists have been out way before Lost and to be fair we already had one in this show, it is human nature that were going to be curious and guess how the show will end. I just can't wait to see how the finish it, have a feeling if we are expecting a happy ending we will be very disappointed though.

Not talking about plot twists themselves, but on the massive analysis done on every scene, musical cue, colour choice, line of dialogue etc, and the extrapolation done based on that.

One I read today was that the washed-up alcoholic preacher was drinking from a Jon Deere-branded mug -- Jon Deere's logo being a yellow stag, and a clear reference to the Yellow King and the antlers at the murder scene. Is that intentional? Who knows? But more importantly, who cares? The enjoyment of a show shouldn't hinge on such tiny details (as it ultimately did for Lost, with the writers clearly reveling in introducing such little touches, at the expense of an overall coherent plot!).

Not talking about plot twists themselves, but on the massive analysis done on every scene, musical cue, colour choice, line of dialogue etc, and the extrapolation done based on that.

One I read today was that the washed-up alcoholic preacher was drinking from a Jon Deere-branded mug -- Jon Deere's logo being a yellow stag, and a clear reference to the Yellow King and the antlers at the murder scene. Is that intentional? Who knows? But more importantly, who cares? The enjoyment of a show shouldn't hinge on such tiny details (as it ultimately did for Lost, with the writers clearly reveling in introducing such little touches, at the expense of an overall coherent plot!).

Ah I see, ye that is definitely looking too much in to minor details ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

In fairness they have been teasing a giant with facial scarring as the main antagonist ( Is he the yellow king or not i'm not sure) for the entire series so that is not entirely true, there is still a classic who-dunnit element the the narrative.

PS. I noticed when Rust met Tuttle that there was a seemingly deliberate shot of Tuttle and Rust almost nose to nose, in which it was evident that Tuttle is well over 6 feet tall, certainly a "giant" to kids. I wonder if the emphasis on masks in "The King in Yellow" could have a less literal sense in the show

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Interesting quote from Nic Pizzolatto here:

“To achieve a personal vision that deeply investigates character, it makes sense to choose as a delivery vehicle a genre where an investigation is already underway…You can probably tell I don’t give a … about serial killers, and I certainly don’t care to engage in some sort of creative cultural competition for who can invent the most disgusting kind of serial killer,” he said. “This is just a vehicle. You could have engaged the same obsessions in a doughnut shop. But the show probably wouldn’t have sold.”

http://www.uproxx.com/tv/2014/02/true-detective-theories-misguided-opinion/

So looks like it's effectively a character study within a crime genre. Obviously the whodunnit part plays a role in the series but think he's focusing a lot on the character interactions.

I know with 8 eps it's hard to tie up loose ends/cover everything but whatever happened to Ginger for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Eod100 wrote: »
    Interesting quote from Nic Pizzolatto here:

“To achieve a personal vision that deeply investigates character, it makes sense to choose as a delivery vehicle a genre where an investigation is already underway…You can probably tell I don’t give a … about serial killers, and I certainly don’t care to engage in some sort of creative cultural competition for who can invent the most disgusting kind of serial killer,” he said. “This is just a vehicle. You could have engaged the same obsessions in a doughnut shop. But the show probably wouldn’t have sold.”

http://www.uproxx.com/tv/2014/02/true-detective-theories-misguided-opinion/

So looks like it's effectively a character study within a crime genre. Obviously the whodunnit part plays a role in the series but think he's focusing a lot on the character interactions.

I know with 8 eps it's hard to tie up loose ends/cover everything but whatever happened to Ginger for example?

It is an interesting quote as it kind of contradicts a lot of what goes on in the show....if he isn't interested in the story then why all of the literary references? why all the symbology? why all of the hidden easter eggs?

I'm not talking about an earlier post about the reverend drinking out of a mug with antlers, but for instance the missing girl on the billboard was also in the school photo from one of the schools....all of the above is a level of detail not seen in your average show, and certainly not seen in a show that doesn't care about the story

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    It is an interesting quote as it kind of contradicts a lot of what goes on in the show....if he isn't interested in the story then why all of the literary references? why all the symbology? why all of the hidden easter eggs?

I'm not talking about an earlier post about the reverend drinking out of a mug with antlers, but for instance the missing girl on the billboard was also in the school photo from one of the schools....all of the above is a level of detail not seen in your average show, and certainly not seen in a show that doesn't care about the story

Yeah was thinking the exact same thing. Why make specific reference to the Yellow King? Is it just to show he's familiar with fiction from that genre? If that's it then it comes across as just navel-gazing really.. As in I don't expect the plot around the Yellow King to tie up with the actual book itself but not sure what purpose it served (along with all the mythology etc) if it doesn't go beyond there being a person known as the Y.K and that's it..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

evilivor wrote: »
    Lili Simmons played the part in both episodes.
    no lili simmons plays beth, who he met in 2002, and alexandra daddario played lisa back in 95

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Human Tampon, prefect reference for marty, i was in stitches at it :D:D:D

• Advertisement

To be fair the whole part about not catching the real killer was already a twist in the plot so you never know.
    Not really that much of a twist. Didn't we find that out early on when we knew there had been another murder?

Advertisement