Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

True Detective [HBO] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

don ramo wrote: »
    no lili simmons plays beth, who he met in 2002, and alexandra daddario played lisa back in 95
    Wasn't he refering to Beth, who they visited at the bunny ranch in '95 and then meeting again in 2002?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

no lili simmons plays beth, who he met in 2002, and alexandra daddario played lisa back in 95

Lili Simmons plays Beth that he met at the Bunny Ranch in 1995 and met, once again, in 2002.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

Im off the smokes but rustin cole is making me really want one

leonidas83 wrote: »

Paul Morley, on the the Review Show, said he could watch the show for Matthew McConaughey's smoking alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭IanOBo

Just started watching this over the weekend. I can't even remember why I started watching it, but what a great decision that was.
    I am recommending it left,right and center now!

Just finished Ep.4, I am trying to find a way to space it out so I can satisfy my craving as well as not leaving a big gap before the finale.
    That 6 minute action scene was intense. I mean WOW. The acting is phenomenal. Loving Cohle's quotes. Epic show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Halfway through ep 5. Wow, this has gotta be the best TV I've seen since Band of Brothers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Lisa, with the exquisite breasts, could do with more of them

/perv ramble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

leonidas83 wrote: »

I find it hard to watch! The amount of them he goes through!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Halfway through ep 5. Wow, this has gotta be the best TV I've seen since Breaking Bad.

Yes indeed :P

I think it's better than the last season of BB tbh. And I'm a huge fan of BB (seasons 3 and 4 are as close to perfect television as you'll get)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Whatever about Breaking Bad, this show is the most enjoyable I have seen on tv since The Wire (The daddy of them all)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Shows like Lost have really ruined the way we watch TV. Now we're all getting caught up in (over-)analysing incidental detail, trying to figure out the 'answer' or the 'twist' before it comes.

I was delighted that Rust's suspicions regarding Tuttle were so bluntly laid out in the latest episode. True Detective doesn't seem so concerned with the story or revealing the identity of the big-bad, but rather on the characters and their relationships.

I'm keen to find out the full story, but whatever happens with the narrative, True Detective has already been a landmark TV show in terms of characters, acting and direction.

I hear what you’re saying, and Lord knows I got sucked into the Lost hysteria pretty bad, but really, I think it’s up to the individual to interpret what they want from a show like this, which is essentially a work of art.
    Clearly Pizzolatto is influenced by past works himself, and even though some of the Easter eggs are no doubt really red herrings or just in some viewers heads, I think it’s great to discuss from any angle, but it’s not for everyone.

I have a mate who I can talk to about such nonsense, sometimes we are right in what we speculate and most times we are way off, but it good fun none the less. My wife watches the show, loves the show, but she wouldn’t tolerate me talking about extracts from the King in Yellow for too long…

I do agree about it being about the characters though, a good one can make a show tolerable for a while, and an outstanding one like Rust can make an exceptional show like this legendary. Not many actors could have made him this memorable either, not in this way.

kryogen wrote: »
    Whatever about Breaking Bad, this show is the most enjoyable I have seen on tv since The Wire (The daddy of them all)

The Wire stands alone, in terms of the quality of characters, writing, intertwining stories and it’s brilliant reflection of a real life urban society.

If you take out the medieval / fantasy aspect, the closest thing to the Wire in terms of complexity is actually Game of Thrones

But I still think the tale of Walter White is a better end to end story. No character made a journey and swayed people’s perceptions as much as his in any show I’ve seen.

D-FENS wrote: »
    The Wire stands alone, in terms of the quality of characters, writing, intertwining stories and it’s brilliant reflection of a real life urban society.

If you take out the medieval / fantasy aspect, the closest thing to the Wire in terms of complexity is actually Game of Thrones

But I still think the tale of Walter White is a better end to end story. No character made a journey and swayed people’s perceptions as much as his in any show I’ve seen.

I'm a GOT's fan but it's not on the same stratosphere as the wire in terms of complexity or character development

Soprano's and The West Wing would be, and now True Detective

I'm a GOT's fan but it's not on the same stratosphere as the wire in terms of complexity or character development

Soprano's and The West Wing would be, and now True Detective

I love TD and Sopranos but I wouldn’t say they are structured anything like the Wire, apart including cops and gangsters
    Sopranos was essentially about one man, with circumstantial focus on the people around him, characters got specific attention but it was not long before it affected Tony.
    We know feck all about anyone in True Detective except the two main characters (Granted that’s obviously going to change with new cast members in every season)
    I’d look on both as very different to the way the Wire was approached.
    Not watched the West Wing so can’t comment.
    There was no one main character in the Wire and the same can be said for GOT, yet in both there are several characters that are equally important and at times don’t appear to have anything to do with each other, in some cases they don’t even meet for whole seasons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

You were off the grid for eight years,” one detective tells Cole, who has apparently finished the six-pack the cops bought him and is now working on a flask of what we’re guessing is not Gatorade. “How can it be him when we caught him in ’95,” Cole says with a knowing air that tells us he knows whoever they caught seventeen years ago was the wrong guy.
    “We figured you’d know,” one of the cops says.
    Cole puts away his flask, leans back, puffs on his cigarette as some of that thousand-yard-stare drains from his eyes, replaced by something cagey and alive. “Then start asking the right ****ing questions,”

Great writing & great acting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Watched 6 episodes in no time, now having to wait until Monday is excruciating. Wish I had drip-fed it. Fascinating stuff. Addicted to the intro song aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

the_monkey wrote: »
    Yes indeed :P

Funnily enough, after 2 and a half seasons of Breaking Bad I gave up. I tried hard but in the end I just thought it was muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭Hitchens

brilliant theme tune from ole T Bone

Hitchens wrote: »
    brilliant theme tune from ole T Bone

I hate the Handsome Family normally but I do like that tune.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Only got around to reading that article on the Jeff Davis case that someone posted up here a while ago. Interesting stuff, esp the bit about the police cover-up.

Have a feeling TD won't end well for Hart or Cohle but can't wait for last 2 eps all the same..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Funnily enough, after 2 and a half seasons of Breaking Bad I gave up. I tried hard but in the end I just thought it was muck.

aaron-paul-freak-out-breaking-bad.jpg

image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

injUTOXoxDMtr.gif

@Brendan Filone,Mind if i borrow this;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

loss_for_words.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Have only seen the first episode. It's basically a scaled down version of The Wire, except set in the deep south and obviously more character driven, focusing on Rust and Hart primarily, ahead of the case. I was half expecting Cohle to wonder aloud as to what it feels like to work in a real police department after the tense introduction of the Reverend Tuttle.
    I won't mention all of the moments that made me immediately think of The Wire, because a) there are too many; and b) I'm not quite sure yet if they were direct references to the show itself, or, like how The Wire depicted life on and off the streets of inner city Baltimore as reflections on life everywhere and the society we're living in, those moments in True Detective showed clear signs of a serious tv show with serious intentions. Probably a bit of both.

p.s. Very interested as to what the deal is with that Commander Speece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Well if people are giving out about well received TV shows, I gave up on The Wire towards the end of the second season :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Grimebox wrote: »
    Well if people are giving out about well received TV shows, I gave up on The Wire towards the end of the second season :pac:

the-pager-05-1024.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Another top episode, lots of stuff exposed.

One thing that I didn't get, or I missed.

When Rust and Maggie were at it, it seemed to me that she was looking at something kind of shocking on the counter she was facing. I wonder what it was. Maybe it was just her realisation of what she was doing.

Also, when they'd finished Rust seemed to know that she'd had sex with someone else too, he asked who it was and she told him some guy in a bar. How did he know? Did he feel the sloppy seconds? Anyway, it seemed to be this more than the fact that they'd done the dirty on Marty that had Rust so riled. Was he jealous that he wasn't her first one?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

When Rust and Maggie were at it, it seemed to me that she was looking at something kind of shocking on the counter she was facing. I wonder what it was. Maybe it was just her realisation of what she was doing.

Also, when they'd finished Rust seemed to know that she'd had sex with someone else too, he asked who it was and she told him some guy in a bar. How did he know? Did he feel the sloppy seconds? Anyway, it seemed to be this more than the fact that they'd done the dirty on Marty that had Rust so riled. Was he jealous that he wasn't her first one?

I thought she didnt go through with it with the chap at the bar?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

She didn't have sex with your man from the bar, she said she couldn't go through with it and this is why she went to Rust's house to seduce him. After they were finished it was pretty easy for someone like Rust to realise he was being used. Maggie looking down at the counter and making that face was basically her enjoying sex for the first time in years and she even said to Marty she hasn't been f****d like that since before the girls were born.

Edit - After the deed was done Maggie said quietly "this'll really hurt him" and then Rust went nuts. I got this from the IMDB forums, they are actually claiming Maggie raped Rust because he was drunk.

Advertisement